Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | 7/1/23

Comments

• Options
    I like to hear Holden talk about second ball, I think this is a big issue for us beyond this season.
    Agree with this, alongside our ability to find a player from an aerial scramble or if the ball is pinging about a little bit - however that does seem to have improved this year. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Charlton the clearly better side for about 2/3 of the game but they were so dreadful the rest of the time they gave a truly awful team like Lincoln a sniff
    Most of Lincoln's chances came from Charlton idiocy, chief culprit Inniss as always
    Aimless pissing around with it at the back returned with attendant suicidal tendencies, Ness is vastly better at that than the hapless Lavelle and Inniss but that bar is ground level.
    The only times the APAWIATB developed anything positive was when Dobbo dropped back to collect it and take it away from the hapless Inniss - risk v reward APAWIATB is just base level moronic.  Lincoln are a decent example, keep it away from the cloggers at the back and close off a major area of risk.
    MacG reminded us a couple of times why he's been deposed.
    Sess was the standout at the back.
    Ness is developing nicely
    Without Dobbo we'd be sunk
    Albie still needs to calm down but at least his energy fills in for wheezy Fraser's part time contribution
    Wheezy Fraser showed glimpses of his talent and a hitherto unseen heading ability but as ever he only played about 60 minutes.  After he got that knock (before the pathetic free kick) 2nd half he completely checked out until injury time when he popped up with a couple of decent tackles.  Direct quote from a teenage newbie in our group "that 21 would be amazing if he didn't disappear for hours"
    JRS showed a couple of glimpses but spent most of the game avoiding space, hiding behind white shirts and cutting into congestion - helped out defensively more than usual so not all bad - he won't have convinced any championship suitors with that
    There's far too much pressure and expectation on Miles Leaburn's young shoulders, fingers crossed he continues to bear his unfair burden as effectively
    CBT back closer to the revelation of 21/22, one or two better decisions/executions per match and we'll all be much happier
    Jack Payne a footballer in miniature, just that bit too slow and small to be able to compete, specially against a bunch the size of Lincoln
    Hopefully O'Connell doesn't get rushed back before he's really ready but he's streets ahead of the other CH's

Special mention for The Bloke Behind Me [(c) Wyn Grant] "foul throws" were near enough phased out 3 or more seasons ago and as your mate told you we'd never seen that ref before at The Valley, no amount of shouting from you was changing either fact

How many times did Inniss give Lincoln chances to score other than in the fetid goulash of your imagination? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Only saw the highlights but when it becomes pin ball that late shot could've easily found its way into the net and Demond 2-2 is a totally different narrative with "Shit" being the most used word by the Cognoscenti on CL.

Just thankful for 6 points from 2 games as that quicksand is an utter bastard. Mid table this season is fine as long as we can find some ambition and attempt to keep our half a dozen better players( that many !)

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Lovely stuff. Leaburn is the missing gear that makes the whole engine work. There aren't many complete strikers in League One who can do it all like him. And if there are any, they're not 6'5 to boot!

Put Stockley up top yesterday and it's a different story. 

I was a bit frustrated that we didn't take advantage of their lack of height. They were a small team and yet when we had free kicks in dangerous positions out wide, we opted to play short free-kick routines. (Poorly rehearsed as well). 

We played patient football in the first half that didn't look miles away from a Ben Garner side. The only difference being we cleared the ball when we were in danger instead of stubbornly trying to play our way out. 

Mac's kicking is a sight to behold. Goodbye and thanks for the memories.

Thought Morgan did OK. He has the energy to press and he works bloody hard. I wish he'd improve his defending in one-on-one situations. He's so eager to win the ball that he gets sold the wrong way too easily.

Now we're 'back' to winning ways with JRS playing in his proper position and hitting form again, I hope Palace are considering letting him stay. We won't find a replacement.

Feels good to be celebrating wins again. Want to see them keep it up now. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Billy_Mix said:

Special mention for The Bloke Behind Me [(c) Wyn Grant] "foul throws" were near enough phased out 3 or more seasons ago and as your mate told you we'd never seen that ref before at The Valley, no amount of shouting from you was changing either fact

Not sure if I’ve misunderstood this bit - I’m assuming you’re saying the bloke behind you kept calling for the ref to give a foul throw? And you’re saying foul throws have been near enough phased out?
    Well I’m pretty sure the ref gave a foul throw close to the end of the game when a Lincoln player rushed to take a throw from near the tunnel. Maybe I’m mistaken?
  • Options
    Didn't half rain!

A normal day in Manchester, can't wait. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Anybody know the actual attendance, fictional or otherwise, it looked sparse from the east stand. 
    That’s what I was wondering?

Whether we’ll have more fans at Old Trafford, than we had at the valley? 😂 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Not sure if I’ve misunderstood this bit - I’m assuming you’re saying the bloke behind you kept calling for the ref to give a foul throw? And you’re saying foul throws have been near enough phased out?
    Well I’m pretty sure the ref gave a foul throw close to the end of the game when a Lincoln player rushed to take a throw from near the tunnel. Maybe I’m mistaken?
    Yes, lino flagged for a foul throw & ref gave foul throw.
    Billy_Mix talks Billy Bollocks? 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Billy_Mix talks Billy Bollocks

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Charlton the clearly better side for about 2/3 of the game but they were so dreadful the rest of the time they gave a truly awful team like Lincoln a sniff
    Most of Lincoln's chances came from Charlton idiocy, chief culprit Inniss as always
    Aimless pissing around with it at the back returned with attendant suicidal tendencies, Ness is vastly better at that than the hapless Lavelle and Inniss but that bar is ground level.
    The only times the APAWIATB developed anything positive was when Dobbo dropped back to collect it and take it away from the hapless Inniss - risk v reward APAWIATB is just base level moronic.  Lincoln are a decent example, keep it away from the cloggers at the back and close off a major area of risk.
    Albie still needs to calm down but at least his energy fills in for wheezy Fraser's part time contribution
    Wheezy Fraser showed glimpses of his talent and a hitherto unseen heading ability but as ever he only played about 60 minutes.  After he got that knock (before the pathetic free kick) 2nd half he completely checked out until injury time when he popped up with a couple of decent tackles.  Direct quote from a teenage newbie in our group "that 21 would be amazing if he didn't disappear for hours"
    JRS showed a couple of glimpses but spent most of the game avoiding space, hiding behind white shirts and cutting into congestion - helped out defensively more than usual so not all bad - he won't have convinced any championship suitors with that
    There's far too much pressure and expectation on Miles Leaburn's young shoulders, fingers crossed he continues to bear his unfair burden as effectively
    CBT back closer to the revelation of 21/22, one or two better decisions/executions per match and we'll all be much happier
    Jack Payne a footballer in miniature, just that bit too slow and small to be able to compete, specially against a bunch the size of Lincoln
    Hopefully O'Connell doesn't get rushed back before he's really ready but he's streets ahead of the other CH's

What a load of bollox as regards Innis and to a lesser extent Fraser. 🫤
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

The throw being flagged as foul throw was that rare beast seen these days for a foot in the air - I was quite impressed that it was given

Throw in’s are a massive pet hate of mine at present - players nicking huge amounts of yards to take them a long way from where the ball actually went out - twice yesterday the ball went out in Lincoln’s half, and the player threw the ball in in our half, both of these were right in front of 4th official - fucking ridiculous

But I have a solution - gonna email the authorities - watch this space….
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Lovely stuff. Leaburn is the missing gear that makes the whole engine work. There aren't many complete strikers in League One who can do it all like him. And if there are any, they're not 6'5 to boot!

I was a bit frustrated that we didn't take advantage of their lack of height. They were a small team and yet when we had free kicks in dangerous positions out wide, we opted to play short free-kick routines. (Poorly rehearsed as well). 

We played patient football in the first half that didn't look miles away from a Ben Garner side. The only difference being we cleared the ball when we were in danger instead of stubbornly trying to play our way out. 

Thought Morgan did OK. He has the energy to press and he works bloody hard. I wish he'd improve his defending in one-on-one situations. He's so eager to win the ball that he gets sold the wrong way too easily.

Now we're 'back' to winning ways with JRS playing in his proper position and hitting form again, I hope Palace are considering letting him stay. We won't find a replacement.

There are rumours re another Palace addition….no idea who it is but enquiries have been made.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

There are rumours re another Palace addition….no idea who it is but enquiries have been made.
    Zaha hahaha
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Chunes said:

Zaha hahaha
    Don’t need him Fanny he’s yesterday’s man we’ve got his protégé 😉
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Can't think of anyone whose preconceived biases colour their player marks more. And he's been doing it for years. Just so irritating (and that's coming from me) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Billy_Mix said:

Can't think of anyone whose preconceived biases colour their player marks more. And he's been doing it for years. Just so irritating (and that's coming from me) 
    Hang on Leuth me old mucker pot and kettle 😉
  • Options
    Looked like the Lincoln keeper thought CBT had fired a cricket ball at him for the second goal.  Swear he was trying to get outta the way  :)

I thought this when I see this last night, CBT does smash the ball but it don't look good on the goalie. If that was our keeper he would be getting slated, I wonder if Lincoln fans are on at him 

• Options
    Numbers said:
    Looked like the Lincoln keeper thought CBT had fired a cricket ball at him for the second goal.  Swear he was trying to get outta the way  :)

I thought this when I see this last night, CBT does smash the ball but it don't look good on the goalie. If that was our keeper he would be getting slated, I wonder if Lincoln fans are on at him 

Don't think he had much of a prayer with it. Would have had to anticipate the high shot 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Numbers said:

Don't think he had much of a prayer with it. Would have had to anticipate the high shot 
    He may have tried to move his hands or not get out of the way like a girl, no disrespect to girls though. Very pleased with his choice of reaction
  • Options
    This bizarre habit of Steve Brown and others to say they are disappointed with the opposition is total nonsense.
    Give credit to our players as it makes a change from saying they are useless !
    You want the opposition to make mistakes so why would you be disappointed when they make mistakes or could have closed down. 
    Football is all about seeing the oppositions weaknesses and exploiting it.

Teams see our weaknesses and take advantage so just enjoy if we can do it as well. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

The throw being flagged as foul throw was that rare beast seen these days for a foot in the air - I was quite impressed that it was given

Throw in’s are a massive pet hate of mine at present - players nicking huge amounts of yards to take them a long way from where the ball actually went out - twice yesterday the ball went out in Lincoln’s half, and the player threw the ball in in our half, both of these were right in front of 4th official - fucking ridiculous

But I have a solution - gonna email the authorities - watch this space….
    Hang on Flashheart, is it you that sits behind Billy Bollocks?
    🤔
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    The Goalie's anticipation should have been much better. Make yourself big, not small (they say). He took it to a new definition. 

Quite the equivalent of an outfield player bottling a 50/50, I'd say. 
  • Options
    A thoroughly deserved win, although the failure to kill the game with a third goal and our chronic inability to keep a clean sheet meant that we turned what should have been a comfortable three points into a nail biting finale. Lincoln were very poor but we do like to make it difficult for ourselves, don't we.

That said, it's to Holden's credit that the structure of the team looks better than it has for a while and we were unrecognisable from the shambolic performance turned in at Oxford nine days earlier. There is less dicking around at the back (although clearly MacGillivray didn't get the memo), Fraser is performing like the player we hoped we were getting in the more advanced role and the return of Leaburn in place of Stockley is a huge upgrade. The forthcoming games against the likes of Barnsley and Bolton will be tough and this was a much needed three points to move us away from the lower reaches of the table.

Given the thinness of the squad, we're very dependant upon a few key players like Dobson and Leaburn, so we just have to hope that they can stay fit and are still here on 1 February. We clearly need to strengthen this month, although I can't say I'm feeling optimistic about our prospects in the market, given that the ownership position remains very much in limbo. 
  • Options
    This bizarre habit of Steve Brown and others to say they are disappointed with the opposition is total nonsense.
    Give credit to our players as it makes a change from saying they are useless !
    You want the opposition to make mistakes so why would you be disappointed when they make mistakes or could have closed down. 
    Football is all about seeing the oppositions weaknesses and exploiting it.

Teams see our weaknesses and take advantage so just enjoy if we can do it as well. 
    I have no problem at all with Brown being calmly methodical and sometimes sounding a bit negative, and leaving the one eyed cheerleading to Terry!
  • Options
    Are the Charltonlive commentators on this board btw?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Numbers said:

This from AllLincoln.

I’ll start with Carl Rushworth, what an earth is he doing. I have always spoke about how much I rate him, but why is he moving out of the way of the ball. He looked like a school child in goal, that is scared of the ball. It is completely unacceptable at any level. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/01/not-good-enough-charlton-2-1-imps/

This from The Stacey West blog.

I like Carl Rushworth, I think he’s on par with Josh Griffiths, but he turns away from the ball, as if he’s afraid of getting smashed in the mouth. He’s there to block it, Roy Keane would have kittens if he saw that. 

https://staceywest.net/2023/01/08/capital-punishment-charlton-athletic-2-1-imps/

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Most of Lincoln's chances........ Blah blah blah, trolling for controversy's sake, slag off all the team, collect my WUM points, a bit more slagging off, more trolling, etc etc
    Yeah, we get your point
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Numbers said:

This from AllLincoln.

I’ll start with Carl Rushworth, what an earth is he doing. I have always spoke about how much I rate him, but why is he moving out of the way of the ball. He looked like a school child in goal, that is scared of the ball. It is completely unacceptable at any level. 

https://alllincoln.co.uk/2023/01/not-good-enough-charlton-2-1-imps/

This from The Stacey West blog.

I like Carl Rushworth, I think he’s on par with Josh Griffiths, but he turns away from the ball, as if he’s afraid of getting smashed in the mouth. He’s there to block it, Roy Keane would have kittens if he saw that. 

https://staceywest.net/2023/01/08/capital-punishment-charlton-athletic-2-1-imps/

Think they're being a bit harsh personally, just watched it back at 0.25x speed and it took one second for the ball to leave CBT's foot and cross the line. That's a quarter second. He could have set himself earlier but that gives CBT the chance to cross or shoot near post. I think he was gambling on it going near post too - not straight through him.