Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | 7/1/23

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Up until Morgan went off, we were in complete control. I'm not sure if that's due to Morgan playing very well or Payne not being very good
    More to do with only being 2-1 up so went a bit cautious. I would say overall it was a positive game. We should have been out of sight before they got one back and it was a tad fortunate falling to their player. Scare right at the death but we kept them out which is unlike us this season.
    We were  2-0 up when Morgan went off, and in control.

Sometimes it's not just about how a player plays, it's also about how the team performs. Fraser plays better when Morgan is there in a deeper role, allowing him to get forward more, whereas when Payne plays in the midfield 3, Fraser has to think more about defensive duties. In our current squad, after the departure of JFC, McGrandles (when fit) is the only real alternative to Morgan in the midfield 3 if we want to play 433 with Fraser as a 10.

And Morgan regularly get called out on things other players do as well. You'd have thought the likes of Dobson, Fraser and Clare never misplace passes occasionally. In one 2 minute spell in the first half, Morgan made a sloppy pass and  Clare did well to win the ball back, but a minute later it was Clare making a sloppy pass and Morgan doing well to win the ball back.
    Morgan was ok today but Payne was ok when he came on. I don't think we can pinpoint them getting a goal back with that substitution. What I would say is with Fraser playing more advanced, Morgan's workrate makes a strong case for him starting alongside Dobson with what we have in the squad. 
  • Options
    The 4-3-3 gives us a blend. Dobson doing his thing, Fraser slightly more advanced and feeding our big threat (CBT) and Morgan, who has the longer-range vision to switch play/hit un-tracked runners.
  • Options
    A good win today and we deserved it.
    if our young strikers today were consistent and had a little more confidence we would have won
    5-1 without question 👍👍👍👍👍👍
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Really enjoyed the first half. And most of the second.
    Fraser, Dobson  and Leaburn are top class 
    Let's not go overboard. Decent League 1 players yes. Top class is another thing entirely. 
    They were top of the class today, and all had exceptional games...Leaburn is def destined for far greater things than us I am sorry to say...so yes top class...✅
  • Options
    Up until Morgan went off, we were in complete control. I'm not sure if that's due to Morgan playing very well or Payne not being very good
    IMO Morgan has a typical Morgan game - a couple of Hollywood passes and then manages to miss pass to our players 5 meters away under no pressure
    He did lots of good work off the ball. Running into space and also coming back to defend. I think we did look worse once he came off
  • Options
    Anybody know the actual attendance, fictional or otherwise, it looked sparse from the east stand. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Anybody know the actual attendance, fictional or otherwise, it looked sparse from the east stand. 
    Fictional from the club 12k - it was quiet in our block. I would be surprised if it was over 7k through the turnstiles 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lmao the anti morganites are out again. 

So weird. He has a decent enough game (not great but good enough) and still gets shit on by the usual suspects.
    I’m not Morgan’s biggest fan but I thought he had a fairly good game today. Other than rolling around on the halfway line from a perfectly good tackle rather than getting back and defending 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So weird. He has a decent enough game (not great but good enough) and still gets shit on by the usual suspects.
    I’m not Morgan’s biggest fan but I thought he had a fairly good game today. Other than rolling around on the halfway line from a perfectly good tackle rather than getting back and defending 
    That was a bit embarrassing, but he's clearly preparing for Tuesday 😂
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:

If it’s the string of fives that have just been dished out on the players marks thread, it’s not just Morgan. I know where you’re coming from though it’s that some fans just don’t rate certain players for whatever ever reason and are reluctant to mark them high 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Long as he keeps the winning ratio, he can do a bloody break dance and end with a head spin, the guy has got us winning and believing in ourselves again 
    Agreed - though I’d draw the line at him banging out Addicks to Victory on air guitar. 
  • Options
    I saw the team's mental concentration and physicality drop about 5 minutes  before Lincoln scored, so not surprised by their goal.  

Why does this happen repeatedly? I don't know. 
    Still, we won by playing well for most of the game. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A vast majority mentioned he is completely clueless? 

Every single Charlton manager, whether good or bad, has been described as clueless at some point.

Everyone thinks they know best when it comes to football. It's the nature of the sport
  • Options
    Someone said to me at the match today
    ”they might as well start engraving Dobbo’s name on the POTY trophy now”

I think they could be right. 
  • Options
    Charlton TV does make me laugh.

Subscribers would have found out today that curbs doesn't watch love Island 
  • Options
    I saw the team's mental concentration and physicality drop about 5 minutes  before Lincoln scored, so not surprised by their goal.  

Because they are so used to losing they half expect it.  

It's also the biggest reason our fowards miss and our defenders cock up.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I want to give a big shout out for Sessegnon. Thought he was immense but nobody has mentioned him
    Agree - I think he is one of our most consistent players and always gives 110 % 
    I thought he was very poor defensively today and frequently out of position - both him and Clare need to do better. 
  • Options

I agree, I thought quite a few players started to look tired. 
  • Options
    We are still very poor defensively. Neither of our full backs are great at defending and both CBs look terrified when in possession.

A game we should have won comfortably but finishing needs to improve and some of the decision making by our forward players needs to be better. We have plenty of pace and played some good stuff but continue to be fragile. 

I was convinced Lincoln would grab an equaliser.
    Sessegnon is pretty decent at defending. Ness definitely doesn’t look terrified when in possession. He almost looks too relaxed. Impressive for a 20 year old. 
    Agree about Clare though. He has lapses of concentration. Good going forward though. I much prefer Egbo. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Valley11 said:
    Really enjoyed the first half. And most of the second.
    Fraser, Dobson  and Leaburn are top class 
    Let's not go overboard. Decent League 1 players yes. Top class is another thing entirely. 
    They were top of the class today, and all had exceptional games...Leaburn is def destined for far greater things than us I am sorry to say...so yes top class...✅
    Leaburn had a couple of great moments but (in my opinion) didn't have a great game. He looked slow to react to loose balls in the box. 

I'm talking about todays game only; he's got really good potential and I'm liking what I see. 
    If I know and you know he’s going to commit a foul the second before he commits a foul, the ref must as well. So needless, I like the attitude but he needs to drop this from the game as it won’t help him.