Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+post match p23): Man Utd vs Charlton | Tues 10 Jan 2023 (League Cup Quarter Final)

Comments

• Options
    Stockley looks like he’s on his Way by the look of how he was hugging everyone in the team, as if it was his last game.

I thought the same.
  • Options
    conker said:
    Stockley looks like he’s on his Way by the look of how he was hugging everyone in the team, as if it was his last game.

I thought the same.
    I mean I think we know it is highly likely that he may be on his way out, so of course it could be.

But that is not much different to what most football players do, especially when the emotion is high in a game such as ours yesterday - and Stockley did the same for the Colville Town players when they played at ours in the FA Cup.
  • Options
    So it was not to be. Slim Chance left town, his brother No came riding in on Rashford’s (offside?) shoulders. 
  • Options
    I’m warming to Holden. He’s got something about him.  Sniper’s nightmare at interviews though!!
    Me too. Loved the "look at me when I'm talking to you" opening phrase.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know where else to put this, doesn't deserve it's own thread because most people won't be able to open the article sadly.
    FULL Archived Article as shared on the Dean Holden thread days ago: https://archive.ph/642Td
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    LMAO Player marks thread Morgan getting pelters for overhitting passes and not doing anything useful, let us ignore he made the only pass that created a real shooting opportunity for Fraser.

He wasn't great, but by god the anti Morgan bias on here is far stronger than my 'pro' morgan bias. I gave him a 6.5 mainly for his effort on the day, which he did put in. 
    If you look at the BBC report, where people give their marks, Morgan was joint 5th with Fraser with 6.99
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    How shit is that changing room!

Anyway - Short, sharp clear post match analysis. Those boys need to remember Dean's words going into Barnsley
  • Options
    Really warming to Holden but even if he continues to do a good job, will he be here in August? We can’t keep changing managers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

I have no idea what changing room that is because according to multiple news outlets Old Trafford was refitted during Covid and has brand new home and away changing rooms, pictured above. Looks like they sent us down the road to change at Salford! 

That’s not our dressing room. We didn’t play in red. 
  • Options
    I don't know where else to put this, doesn't deserve it's own thread because most people won't be able to open the article sadly. It's the Athletic's interview with Dean Holden. I read it yesterday lunchtime and was completely stunned. He lost a  17 month old daughter while on holiday in the Canaries. 

The infection had spread rapidly through Cici’s blood, moving to her brain and causing her organs to shut down. Cici died on the way to hospital.

“You see it in the movies when they call someone into a room to deliver bad news. That happened to us. My mind went; I lost the plot. I thought they were going to put me in a straitjacket.”

“It’s over 10 years now and I speak to Cici every day,” he says. “It helps me. It was devastating, surreal. It sometimes felt like it hasn’t happened to me. I went through a grieving process and I didn’t know who I was. I was going through emotions I didn’t know existed. I changed as a person. Counselling helped my wife. Me? I went twice. Counselling usually has an end result but there can’t be one. Cici’s not coming back, is she?”

This may have been discussed, but it seems he popped into the Royal Oak after watching the Brighton game..

“It pulled up outside and I saw loads of Charlton fans. And they saw me and started banging on the taxi. I put the window down and they told me to come in for a drink,” says Holden.

“The landlord had got the fans out of the pub. He saw me. He let the fans back in. There were maybe 50 fans there. The Charlton fans were absolutely buzzing after beating Brighton – fucking buzzing, what an atmosphere!

“The fans put it right to me: give us something to shout about and we’ll back you all the way. It hasn’t been an easy time for them. Charlton were a Premier League club, now they are 18th in League One. There has been a lot of anger from fans. I wanted to hear how they felt. It’s one hell of a club but it was flat when I arrived, you could see it around the training ground.”

“It has been a really tough season for Charlton. I will do my best to get the players going, to make them look forward to going into training again.”

At midnight, Holden leaves a message to a friend: “I hope we get Man United in the draw.”

Of course everyone knows he's a Man U fan now. But a proper one...

Holden is from the Manchester United heartland of Salford and grew up supporting the team and going to games. He played for Deans Sport, the same team as Ryan Giggs, but when Holden wore a United shirt to training with his first professional club, Bolton Wanderers, he was told that was not the best idea.

“I was in my flat near Charlton for the draw,” he says. “I’ve not been back home since I got the job. I FaceTimed Joey, my eldest, and we watched the draw together online. The family were there. They went crazy when the draw came out, absolutely crazy. It was surreal.

“Then I FaceTimed my dad. Lump in my throat. He’s lifelong United. He’ll sit there and watch his son lead a team out at Old Trafford. I’ll take all that in my stride. But the fact we can take 10,000 on a day when there are train strikes shows the size of this club. I want us to show ourselves in the best light. I want our young players to show themselves against the biggest team in the world.”

I don't think I've ever read a footie interview that gave me such a complete insight into the person beyond the stilted pitch-side persona and interviews.  It was already clear that people inside the game speak highly of him, and now I can see it's not just platitudes. 

And I think he did himself proud last night. Any one reading the full interview would be happy for him.

I read the same in a Mirror article the other day. Bought a lump to my throat and I actually emailed the club in an effort to contact Dean. I didn't really expect a reply and probably won't get one but I felt the urge to reach out. 

• Options
    Thought we were excellent atmosphere was incredible. Love Dean Holden and how he has us set up. Roll on Saturday get behind the manager and the team and hopefully 3pts.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Addick_8 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    LMAO Player marks thread Morgan getting pelters for overhitting passes and not doing anything useful, let us ignore he made the only pass that created a real shooting opportunity for Fraser.

He wasn't great, but by god the anti Morgan bias on here is far stronger than my 'pro' morgan bias. I gave him a 6.5 mainly for his effort on the day, which he did put in. 
    Amazing considering you slated Fraser who was our up there to have been our best player last night.
    And I gave him an 8 out of 10. I criticised him for being anonymous first half and stopping play when he was in possession. The latter I stand by my words, was idiotic, you play to the whistle... Fact is there wasn't a foul and so he turned over possession needlessly. However he was our best midfielder on the night as his second half performance was mostly, that good. In addition Ness, Sess, Brewer all ahead of Fraser for me on the night. 

• Options
    For anyone moaning about the lack of VAR, remember AMB came sliding out of the area holding the ball and we got away with that one. 
  • Options
    A few of you love to get petty and personal. If you can't just focus on the game and assess that, you must have too much time or feel your view lacks footballing credibility.

It also lowers the tone of the thread, which has been excellent, until the last page or so.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Looks like a poxy tiny changing room, I saw better when playing in the Woolwich and District League.
  • Options
    I couldn’t be more prouder of the team yesterday. Love the fact we gave it all and even tried to go for the win and not sit back defensively. Such a shame luck wasn’t on our side on a couple of occasions.

The fact Man Utd had to put on 3 of their first team players during the game showed something. Rashford changed the game for them.

Let’s hope we can carry this forward to the rest of the season. COYR!!