Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+post match p23): Man Utd vs Charlton | Tues 10 Jan 2023 (League Cup Quarter Final)

Comments

• Options
    Got back to Hoddesdon at 2.45am this morning. What an fantastic night. Players matched the effort of the fans and lets be honest, that's all we want to see!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    watched on a stream but i so wanted us to get a goal for all who travelled. Wouldn't of minded us losing by more than 3 if we got a goal for you lot and the players to celebrate. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Looks like a poxy tiny changing room, I saw better when playing in the Woolwich and District League.
    I wonder if they gave us a changing room usually used by their youth team. No way is that the usual away dressing room. 
    Looks like they have the classic ceiling panel dislodgement.
    Judging by their conscious/unconscious bias the officials probably got the luxury accommodation with a special massage before and after the game plus the kind of (taps nose) Oscar style goodie bags.
  • Options
    Have even lower expectations than we have already?
  • Options
    Just got back. I think we gave them a little too much respect from the kick off but grew into the half after their goal. In the second half, I thought we gave as good as we got and that is credit to the lads. We need to view that as a springboard. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Watched on a stream...I can't fault any player, they did us immensely proud. Our fans were amazing! Never stopped all night long  - where as Man Utd fans were absolutely awful, quiet, and boring! Only made a noise when they scored..pathetic,! 
    Rashford was the difference in the end, but by God did we give it a go.....especially in the second half!
    It's an interesting observation. If there was any atmosphere at all in their end, it certainly didn't cut through the magnificent atmosphere in our end. To be fair to them though, I think that was very much their b-team of supporters.

As we were walking to the ground last night there were several street vendors selling split Man U / Charlton scarves. One of them asked my son if he wanted one (bear in mind he's 28, not 5). To which my son replied, "I'll tell you what mate, if we win I'll come back and get one". That got me thinking who on earth would be buying all these scarves? Surely not Man Utd fans because if they bought a scarf for every match they'd have no place to put them all. Surely not Charlton fans, because other than in the event of a surprise giant killing, there surely can't be enough Addicks who are sufficiently tolerant of Man Utd to allow them half a scarf worth of space.  The answer, as I found on my way out of the ground, is that it isn't the regular fans of either side who were buying this stuff, it was tourists and Man United newbies looking for a little keepsake of the day they lost their Old Trafford virginity. And as I walked to the tram stop there were hundreds of them, bedecked in their new regalia, proud to be a part of their clan.  I'm sure the regular fans will be back in big numbers with their season tickets on Saturday. If you wanted to see a regular Man Utd fan last night, you had to look out for the ones in Norwich City scarves.   

Many of last nights temporary support probably wouldn't know many songs and if they did they'd not be ready to join in. What they would do though is disperse themselves amongst the regulars making it more difficult to get anything going. As for the regulars, they were probably as disinterested in us as we were with Coalville when came to The Valley. I'm not therefore going to call Man United's support pathetic. It is what it is. And what it was last night seemed to be made up of a large number of people who probably wouldn't get the chance to get a ticket for a league match. There's no shame in that. In fact, what a great thing it would be for our club if we had that many supply-fans ready to fill the gaps when the regulars fancied a night off.

Probably the bigger question though is, what can we do to repeat the magnificent atmosphere we created last night? To be so buoyant and so supportive after a three goal defeat is nothing short of brilliant. Hopefully that will build some bridges between fans and players and spur the team on for the rest of the league campaign. But that will only happen if we are consistently supportive as supporters. 
    Old Trafford is very much a tourist venue. But my son bought a moody half and half scarf. He's young (ish), he wants to have a memory of the game, and this is one of them. Happy to buy it.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    a lot of Man U fans saying Garnacho was really good for them. MOM some have got him. Thought he was poor against a player whos not even a full back. 

You didn't watch the first 15 minutes ?
    I swear Clare will probably play 100's of games as a RB or RWB and this will still be said. Some players cover many positions.
    Sessegnon and Clare both can do this.
    Sean Clare is such an erratic player. He can go from looking like a League 2 player to a decent championship player from one half to the next. He scores a worldie against Plymouth and runs from his own half to hit the inside of the post recently.
    Not convinced he has a great football brain but has equal moments of magic and tragic.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Watched on a stream...I can't fault any player, they did us immensely proud. Our fans were amazing! Never stopped all night long  - where as Man Utd fans were absolutely awful, quiet, and boring! Only made a noise when they scored..pathetic,! 
    Rashford was the difference in the end, but by God did we give it a go.....especially in the second half!
    It's an interesting observation. If there was any atmosphere at all in their end, it certainly didn't cut through the magnificent atmosphere in our end. To be fair to them though, I think that was very much their b-team of supporters.

As we were walking to the ground last night there were several street vendors selling split Man U / Charlton scarves. One of them asked my son if he wanted one (bear in mind he's 28, not 5). To which my son replied, "I'll tell you what mate, if we win I'll come back and get one". That got me thinking who on earth would be buying all these scarves? Surely not Man Utd fans because if they bought a scarf for every match they'd have no place to put them all. Surely not Charlton fans, because other than in the event of a surprise giant killing, there surely can't be enough Addicks who are sufficiently tolerant of Man Utd to allow them half a scarf worth of space.  The answer, as I found on my way out of the ground, is that it isn't the regular fans of either side who were buying this stuff, it was tourists and Man United newbies looking for a little keepsake of the day they lost their Old Trafford virginity. And as I walked to the tram stop there were hundreds of them, bedecked in their new regalia, proud to be a part of their clan.  I'm sure the regular fans will be back in big numbers with their season tickets on Saturday. If you wanted to see a regular Man Utd fan last night, you had to look out for the ones in Norwich City scarves.   

Many of last nights temporary support probably wouldn't know many songs and if they did they'd not be ready to join in. What they would do though is disperse themselves amongst the regulars making it more difficult to get anything going. As for the regulars, they were probably as disinterested in us as we were with Coalville when came to The Valley. I'm not therefore going to call Man United's support pathetic. It is what it is. And what it was last night seemed to be made up of a large number of people who probably wouldn't get the chance to get a ticket for a league match. There's no shame in that. In fact, what a great thing it would be for our club if we had that many supply-fans ready to fill the gaps when the regulars fancied a night off.

Probably the bigger question though is, what can we do to repeat the magnificent atmosphere we created last night? To be so buoyant and so supportive after a three goal defeat is nothing short of brilliant. Hopefully that will build some bridges between fans and players and spur the team on for the rest of the league campaign. But that will only happen if we are consistently supportive as supporters. 
    Old Trafford is very much a tourist venue. But my son bought a moody half and half scarf. He's young (ish), he wants to have a memory of the game, and this is one of them. Happy to buy it.

I'm betting he's not 28 ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Sorry to say we saw a couple of young boys wearing the split scarves on the concourse in the away end. The lads were under 10 so maybe a bit of an excuse but no idea what their parent was thinking. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't know where else to put this, doesn't deserve it's own thread because most people won't be able to open the article sadly.
    FULL Archived Article as shared on the Dean Holden thread days ago: https://archive.ph/642Td
    Fair enough. I didn't expect that some berk would have nicked and posted the whole thing. I don't like the Athletic's 100% paywall but I respect it, not least because they went over and above to help at the time of ESI. And of course I pay the sub. No subs, no salaries, no Athletic. Comprendo?

I can't be arsed to look and see who posted the full thing, but I have a question for them if they are reading:

Did you nick your friends' homework at school? and then expect plaudits because of the clever way you nicked it?
    The link is available online. It had been archived 7 times by the time I received it on twitter. Wish I knew how to archive them. I'd guess you need access to the full article to do so. 

So it's a case of someone paying for the homework answers then photocopying it and sharing it for free... 

No different to people sharing photos of the newspaper etc. 
  • Options
    What a fantastic night. Proud of the players and the support COYs
        Awesome Night 
       Born in Greenwich but now live in Cheshire   
       Go to most home and away games and what a fantastic night at Old Trafford. We played very well and should have got at Least one goal and one penalty. Very proud of our fans and the awesome atmosphere they created was brilliant.
    unlike the Prawn Sandwich brigade you barely make a Noise 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't know where else to put this, doesn't deserve it's own thread because most people won't be able to open the article sadly.
    FULL Archived Article as shared on the Dean Holden thread days ago: https://archive.ph/642Td
    Fair enough. I didn't expect that some berk would have nicked and posted the whole thing. I don't like the Athletic's 100% paywall but I respect it, not least because they went over and above to help at the time of ESI. And of course I pay the sub. No subs, no salaries, no Athletic. Comprendo?

I can't be arsed to look and see who posted the full thing, but I have a question for them if they are reading:

Did you nick your friends' homework at school? and then expect plaudits because of the clever way you nicked it?
    ‘Nicked it’ 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Surprised to hear Albies free kick in the first half hit the woodwork. From where I was up in the gods it looked like it went well wide 🤣
    It did not hit the woodwork but was only a foot or so wide
  • Options
    Minor gripe - younger fans need to learn how to slow down their Leaburn chant. 
    They sing everything too fast. It's the result of being jacked up on bottles of prime  ;)
  • Options
    Minor gripe - younger fans need to learn how to slow down their Leaburn chant. 
    They sing everything too fast. It's the result of being jacked up on bottles of prime  ;)
    just reminded me i need to cancel my free trial amazon prime subscription. cheers. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Bit OTT Prague. I tried The Athletic for a few months and really didn't think it was worth it but that's personal preference because the journalism is obviously good. 

They've produced one article that I want to read in a year and don't offer a simple model (or method) for me to pay for that single article other than to sign up for another month. 

It's the internet, and as we saw with piracy, if you don't offer the models people want, they'll find a way to make them themselves.

But you know, on the upside for The Athletic, sharing that article (which was of excellent quality) might have convinced a few others to give them a try. So it's not exactly the end of the world. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised to hear Albies free kick in the first half hit the woodwork. From where I was up in the gods it looked like it went well wide 🤣
    Haha no way it hit the woodwork. It was well wide, your eyes didn't deceive you.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Surprised to hear Albies free kick in the first half hit the woodwork. From where I was up in the gods it looked like it went well wide 
    Haha no way it hit the woodwork. It was well wide, your eyes didn't deceive you.
    Well wide is an exaggeration, it curved towards then away from goal, never on target. Was about 30-60cm away depending on when it crossed the touch line.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Back from Madchester, very delayed train back to Euston at least it won't cost anything as it was over 1hr+ late, so will get full compensation.
    Always enjoy Manc, although no fan of OT, my 2nd time with Addicks, agree support was awesome but being up in the gods in the away end, it was like watching FIFA 2023 computer game. I couldn't hear the drummer(s) thought they were coming? but didn't matter as the Addicks were superb singing throughout & good to hear "Goodbye Horse"
    Onwards and Upwards now for Barnsley, lets hope players and supporters are all up for this match looking forward to it and next away game at Forest Green, really excited about Valentines Visit 
  • Options
    Have seen a video now and agree. It doesn't hit the woodwork although many still believe it did.

• Options
    a lot of Man U fans saying Garnacho was really good for them. MOM some have got him. Thought he was poor against a player whos not even a full back. 
    He's a bit greedy but not sure how you can say he was poor. He ripped Clare apart early on, beat him at least 3 times in the first 10 minutes. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    He's a bit greedy but not sure how you can say he was poor. He ripped Clare apart early on, beat him at least 3 times in the first 10 minutes. 
    He did get the better of Clare but then ballsed it up. Poor shooting and crossing. I didn't keep a close eye on him but was surprised that so many Man U fans rated his performance. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Surprised to hear Albies free kick in the first half hit the woodwork. From where I was up in the gods it looked like it went well wide 
    Well wide is an exaggeration, it curved towards then away from goal, never on target. Was about 30-60cm away depending on when it crossed the touch line.
    Can’t you be more specific? From where I was it was well wide but it was Albie so maybe I’m biased, as are you.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Many of last nights temporary support probably wouldn't know many songs and if they did they'd not be ready to join in. What they would do though is disperse themselves amongst the regulars making it more difficult to get anything going. As for the regulars, they were probably as disinterested in us as we were with Coalville when they came to The Valley. I'm not therefore going to call Man United's support pathetic. It is what it is. And what it was last night seemed to be made up of a large number of people who probably wouldn't get the chance to get a ticket for a league match. There's no shame in that. In fact, what a great thing it would be for our club if we had that many supply-fans ready to fill the gaps when the regulars fancied a night off.

Loved this post! Balanced, 'well researched' and with a good conclusion.