Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+post match p23): Man Utd vs Charlton | Tues 10 Jan 2023 (League Cup Quarter Final)

Comments

• Options
    That was the best 3-0 defeat I’ve ever experienced. At one nil down, the moral victory was ours. It took Rashfords coming on ( for little ol Charlton) to give a reality check BUT what a fan experience. Something of a bonding session between the fans and team happened last night and we all did ourselves proud. Journey home was crap but what a great night. Stockley looks like he’s on his Way by the look of how he was hugging everyone in the team, as if it was his last game.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Heaton jumping up and punching the air when the second went in was embarrassing. Congratulations, you’re 2-0 up against mid table League One opposition.
    It was sheer relief. I take that as a compliment to the way we made it hard for them 
    Both the players and the fans played their part in that. You see it in Harry Maguire’s comments after the game.

United are expected to win this game comfortably, but the boys on the pitch driven on by a loud crowd, really made it difficult for them.

At 1-0 there’s always a chance we were going to nick one - so I can totally see why he celebrated. 
  • Options
    All  amazing - well done everyone  involved+   ,  for me Ness was the stand out ,  all deserve massive credit tho
  • Options
    Oh well it wasn't to be but at least we gave it our best & that's all you can asked for
    What a good turnout by our fans as well let's hope we can take both team & fans effort forward into the league games Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    aliwibble said:
    amazing how many plastic man u fans I haven't spoke to in years have all of a sudden crawled out of the woodwork who didn't even watch tonight - some of my favourite quotes "lost to man u reserves" "easy win never in danger" fuck off you arm chair plastic glory hunter pricks who aint even seen a game live. This is why I ain't talked to you for years - dickheads
    This is why everyone was going "no" in the "giving it the big 'un" thread, as it only comes back to bite you in the arse afterwards.
    That was with friends, who have actually been to OT. I'm talking about random people I haven't spoken to for years randomly messaging me appropo of nothing. Very different thing. The people I playfully bantered with pre game with tongue firmly in cheek I got no problem with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was the best 3-0 defeat I’ve ever experienced. At one nil down, the moral victory was ours. It took Rashfords coming on ( for little ol Charlton) to give a reality check BUT what a fan experience. Something of a bonding session between the fans and team happened last night and we all did ourselves proud. Journey home was crap but what a great night. Stockley looks like he’s on his Way by the look of how he was hugging everyone in the team, as if it was his last game.

Slow start lots , of roadworks down to one lane but Waze chucked me on roads I'd never knowingly been on , off the M6 Toll on to  M42 then on to A45 for a good few miles before rejoining M1 .
    M25 shut j25-26 i live near 26 so diverted a bit but just over 3 hours non stop i thought ok 

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Drove home after the game and back into the office this morning..but worth it. Amazing night despite the result and proud of our fan base tonight, quality. 

Weird one for me, at 1-0 I thought we was well in it and we just needed that little more composure in the final third and I do think we would have scored. Just feels odd being disappointed loosing to Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Looking forward to Barnsley now and think we will get a few more through the gates now. Absolutely no reason as to why we can’t go on a little run now and see where we are in 6 weeks. Odds are stacked against us but season isn’t over… yet. 

Dean Holden is a proper bit of me. I know it’s early doors but there’s something about him from the interviews, content in the dressing room etc which I am keen on. Defensively we look 10x better which he must take credit for. I liked Garner and respect him for the form in the early rounds but if he was still here, I think that could have been a 5/6-0 as we just had no idea how to defend. 

TS & co I hope they looked at the away fans tonight and thought “what could have been”
    Still too late for them and let’s hope they are out soon.
  • Options
    Jacko's words were a bit different. He was going to and back from every upcoming away game with 3 points.

Wish somebody from the Club would have the awareness to cut out the lines that might just be best left for the dressing room, and not to motivate the opposition. 
  • Options
    'Take care of Barnsley on Saturday'
     here we go Holden's Jacko dressing room moment 
    I’m glad he mentioned Barnsley to be honest, because even with that loss we have a bit of momentum and a bit of belief - and we need to feed off that. 

To many times in recent seasons we have followed up a good win with a poor performance.

Theres a couple of things Dean has mentioned about a winning culture, and about focusing on each day and each session and being the best you can in that moment.

I hope he and the players can keep up these standards. Because when we do, we can compete with any team in this league. 
  • Options
    Nothing but pride for this club this morning. There's 2 main factors that ultimately made the difference. 1- pace. We struggled to get to grips with how quickly they moved the ball in the first half, but we grew into the game. Even when we managed to find JRS or Taylor Blackett (as the commentator kept calling him) they were up against players who could match their pace, or read their intentions much better than L1 fodder. 
    Point no2 was the subs. Theirs strengthened their team, ours weakened it. 
    I was dreading a cricket score rollover, but the boys done good. 

Stand out player for me was elliot ness. He was untouchable. As I said on a previous post, I really think he's going to go on and have a very good career and won't be shocked to see him at old Trafford again as a premier league player in a few seasons time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Take care of Barnsley on Saturday'
     here we go Holden's Jacko dressing room moment 
    What’s he supposed to say? Don’t worry about Barnsley on Saturday lads, f*ck it off. 
    Nothing wrong with what Holden said, its the club putting it out on Social Media is the issue
  • Options
    Could not have asked anymore from the players last night, made me so proud.

The supporters were excellent, now we need all of them last night and more to be at The Valley Saturday
  • Options
    We need supporters at our league games - hopefully a better turnout on Saturday.

Need to beat Barnsley.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    How small is that changing room for fck sake? Is that the standard away changing rooms?
    Yes. Man City's is similar but with a pillar in the middle so not all the players can see the manager when he's talking. 
    The home dressing room is circular so the manager can stand in the middle and be seen.
  • Options

I noticed that too re Stockley. 
  • Options
    All the away changing rooms will be the absolute minimum size they have to be. Chelsea's is tiny too. 

Was it Norwich that painted the away changing room pink or something weird? 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Really impressed with how well we dug in. Thought out front three largely struggled against a top level back four but the defence and midfield did a great job. Dobson, Ness and Sessegnon the standout performers for me.

Ref also had a shocker but I suppose he made up for it by ignoring the blatant red card that Maynard-Brewer should have got.

Overall I really don’t think you can hope for much more out of a game like this. Hopefully everyone who was able to go had a top night and hopefully we can all remember our support tonight and the gutsy performance when things are bleak.

Free kick, certainly. Red card really would have been harsh. It was just his momentum that carried the ball out of the area. He had every right to do go for the ball in his own box.