Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+post match p23): Man Utd vs Charlton | Tues 10 Jan 2023 (League Cup Quarter Final)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Surprised to hear Albies free kick in the first half hit the woodwork. From where I was up in the gods it looked like it went well wide 
    Haha no way it hit the woodwork. It was well wide, your eyes didn't deceive you.
    Well wide is an exaggeration, it curved towards then away from goal, never on target. Was about 30-60cm away depending on when it crossed the touch line.
    Ermmm Dazzler…..I was sitting right behind the free kick…..I can assure you it ended up a good three or four feet wide of the post…..if not more!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Surprised to hear Albies free kick in the first half hit the woodwork. From where I was up in the gods it looked like it went well wide 
    Haha no way it hit the woodwork. It was well wide, your eyes didn't deceive you.
    Well wide is an exaggeration, it curved towards then away from goal, never on target. Was about 30-60cm away depending on when it crossed the touch line.
    Ermmm Dazzler…..I was sitting right behind the free kick…..I can assure you it ended up a good three or four feet wide of the post…..if not more!
    Not like a bloke to over exaggerate a length now is it? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    As a big game for a kid to attend, the half and half scarves are a nice momento IMO. Also it makes sense for those United fans who don't/can't go often as a momento of a game they did attend. Not sure what there is to be bothered about. My brother joked before the game that we should get one, and I said if we won, I might get one after the game but I don't want a reminder of a 7-0 thrashing!
  • Options
    What was the official attendance? 
  • Options
    People get het up about the strangest things. If someone wants to buy a scarf, even a half and half one, for their kid or themselves, be they 4 or 44, as a souvenir of attending a football match, what on earth is the harm?
    Cos it's fucking weird
  • Options
    With the scarf thing my experience was the coaches parked up and the mindset was relief the journey was over, we’d got there in time, it was darkish and the next task was to stretch the legs and suss the suss.
    As we were getting off the coach we were instantly hassled by the scarf sellers in the gloom, it was between the vehicles and they were properly pushy, not really able to inspect the product and no idea of the price.
    They we’re pushing for an instant or reflex decision.
    Wouldn’t work with an old git like me still wearing my Woolwich shirt, and have seen us at Manchester United before, but for those new to the place I can easily see some being ready for an impulse buy.
    If anybody bought one, well it’s their dosh and their decision, and not something to fret about.
  • Options
    Can we have another cup next season please? What a night. 
    Been saying this for years. Take the cups seriously. It's our only chance of glory atm 
    Totally agree. If we’re in a promotion battle then you might want to rest a couple, but don’t put out a team you know will get battered. Bad for morale, for one thing. 
    Cups provide great days out, and look, had we squeaked through v. Utd suddenly you’re looking potential major silverware, with City knocked out. That’d put blue water between ourselves and our south London rivals who have never won anything. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Can we have another cup next season please? What a night. 
    Been saying this for years. Take the cups seriously. It's our only chance of glory atm 
    Totally agree. If we’re in a promotion battle then you might want to rest a couple, but don’t put out a team you know will get battered. Bad for morale, for one thing. 
    Cups provide great days out, and look, had we squeaked through v. Utd suddenly you’re looking potential major silverware, with City knocked out. That’d put blue water between ourselves and our south London rivals who have never won anything. 
    100% agreed - we should go full strength in the fa and league cup at all times  - put the womens team out for the pizza and any other nonsense cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah but he filmed in portrait so is a proper wrong'un.
  • Options
    Why didn't Fraser take that free kick ?
    He'd have floated it to the keepers chest again!
  • Options
    As others have said, United gave us a bit of a chasing in the first half but we had a real go in the second, without seriously threatening their goal, save for the shot that Fraser blasted over. The two late goals most certainly distorted the scoreline and flattered United. Our players - and supporters - could not have done more to try and get a result, so hats off to all. 

We enjoyed some pre-match beers at the diminutive Grey Horse Inn (10% off for anyone with a match ticket), the Peveril of the Peak, another pub whose name I can't recall where we got some food and The Britons Protection. Well impressed with the tram system and the general organisation at Old Trafford was good as well (as was £3 per tinny). We were hungry after the game and managed to find a decent restaurant around the corner from the Ibis in Chinatown, the Aplus Oriental - a good name, rather like 'The Ladies' No.1 Detective Agency'. They close early on Mondays and Tuesdays, but fortunately their idea of early is 2am (it's 3am the rest of the week). It was intriguing to see a table of Chinese people on another table, some of whom were clearly Charlton supporters - I'm guessing the legacy of Zheng Zhi.

After a decent night's kip, we rounded things off with visits to the Manchester Art Gallery (quiet and really well curated), Mulligans, El Gato Negro Tapas and The Tap by the station, before hopping on the 15:35 train. A leisurely and relaxing way to round off an excellent trip.

Let's hope the players can show a similar level of intensity at The Valley on Saturday. As Curbs remarked a little while ago on Charlton TV, it's good that the United game was on Tuesday rather than Wednesday, so they have an extra day's recovery and can get a bit of proper training and preparation in at the end of the week.
  • Options
    That comment has finally unlocked the the floodgate I've been managing to keep secure since returning to our hotel after the match.

Def not looking for any sympathy but wasn't sure I'd make it to OT until the anti b's started to kick in 2 nights earlier & the journey was started with a degree or two of trepidation. Benylin, ibuprofen & Fisherman's Friends are a lifesaver....

Of course, I loved every minute of the match & cheered/sang my heart out, albeit with more enthusiasm than volume. But, looking back, it was a struggle at times and intermittent coughing spasms meant tightly crossed legs & muttering thanks to  Lady Tena. Sorry, but you know by now that I tell it like it is. 

An awe inspiring performance from our lads & the company of almost 9,000 like minded, passionate Addicks is something I won't forget, alongside our triumphs at Wembley in recent years. Eat your hearts out Millwall, Palace et al ! 

Something was lacking though, as I realised on the trek south the following morning but it wasn't until I read those seven words from another Charlton "hero" that those floodgates were breached & the tears fell unabated. 

The reaction was a delayed one but nevertheless, from the heart, with the realisation of just how much being part of that unbelievable support meant to me. Humbling indeed but proud. 

Thank you to all who made that evening so special & to those who were supporting from their sofas. I swear their cheering added to the tremendous noise emanating from the away end. 

We can but hope that the passion shown on Tuesday night both on & off the pitch will encourage the attention of  buyers who realise the potential of our famous football club &  want to play a big part in its future. 

Surely we can't let the impetus generated on Tuesday evening go to waste ?

Onwards & upwards ! 
    Oh Fanny, I do hope you are feeling much better 🙏🏻

I’m sat on my sofa absolutely shattered but I wouldn’t have changed it for the world.

Charlton til I die ♥️
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I haven't made much secret of my feelings for the club at the moment. I will always support us but I am fed up of all the chancers and crapness. I am not going to be a happy clapper for nothing. I decided to go because the lads earned my support in the Brighton game and I felt something at the end of the game that I have not for a long while, apart from Brighton, and that was a pride in the performance of the lads, all of them. I think the second half performance was terrific and will live long in my memory.

We needed a bit of luck, but that was all we needed. You could tell they were worried in the second half, very worried. We were also unlucky the ref was good, very good IMO. If we were playing a non league side we would get a crap one who would have give them decisions the ref didn't give us, but I think he was right with most of his calls. We earned two free kicks in decent positions and sadly we didn't take them. Those are the margins and that chance Fraser put over was a fantastic one but rather than criticise Fraser, I would say on another day we get something from one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny video in that tweet - good to see JP having a laugh with the supporters.
  • Options
    People get het up about the strangest things. If someone wants to buy a scarf, even a half and half one, for their kid or themselves, be they 4 or 44, as a souvenir of attending a football match, what on earth is the harm?
    Cos it's fucking weird
    It’s only acceptable if you’re a supporter of neither team and, preferably, a foreign tourist. Otherwise, yes, it is fucking weird.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Stig said:
    Watched on a stream...I can't fault any player, they did us immensely proud. Our fans were amazing! Never stopped all night long  - where as Man Utd fans were absolutely awful, quiet, and boring! Only made a noise when they scored..pathetic,! 
    Rashford was the difference in the end, but by God did we give it a go.....especially in the second half!
    It's an interesting observation. If there was any atmosphere at all in their end, it certainly didn't cut through the magnificent atmosphere in our end. To be fair to them though, I think that was very much their b-team of supporters.

As we were walking to the ground last night there were several street vendors selling split Man U / Charlton scarves. One of them asked my son if he wanted one (bear in mind he's 28, not 5). To which my son replied, "I'll tell you what mate, if we win I'll come back and get one". That got me thinking who on earth would be buying all these scarves? Surely not Man Utd fans because if they bought a scarf for every match they'd have no place to put them all. Surely not Charlton fans, because other than in the event of a surprise giant killing, there surely can't be enough Addicks who are sufficiently tolerant of Man Utd to allow them half a scarf worth of space.  The answer, as I found on my way out of the ground, is that it isn't the regular fans of either side who were buying this stuff, it was tourists and Man United newbies looking for a little keepsake of the day they lost their Old Trafford virginity. And as I walked to the tram stop there were hundreds of them, bedecked in their new regalia, proud to be a part of their clan.  I'm sure the regular fans will be back in big numbers with their season tickets on Saturday. If you wanted to see a regular Man Utd fan last night, you had to look out for the ones in Norwich City scarves.   

Many of last nights temporary support probably wouldn't know many songs and if they did they'd not be ready to join in. What they would do though is disperse themselves amongst the regulars making it more difficult to get anything going. As for the regulars, they were probably as disinterested in us as we were with Coalville when they came to The Valley. I'm not therefore going to call Man United's support pathetic. It is what it is. And what it was last night seemed to be made up of a large number of people who probably wouldn't get the chance to get a ticket for a league match. There's no shame in that. In fact, what a great thing it would be for our club if we had that many supply-fans ready to fill the gaps when the regulars fancied a night off.

Probably the bigger question though is, what can we do to repeat the magnificent atmosphere we created last night? To be so buoyant and so supportive after a three goal defeat is nothing short of brilliant. Hopefully that will build some bridges between fans and players and spur the team on for the rest of the league campaign. But that will only happen if we are consistently supportive as supporters. 
    Imagine how awful it would have been to play last night in a half empty stadium 
    Our players have been doing that all season!
  • Options
    Decent little boost to the Manchester economy. Not sure what percentage of Addicks stayed in hotels, but it was a fair few out of the 9,000. Then there’s beers and food and Ubers etc, plus a few half and half scarves apparently. And @LouisMend would be after a mug for the collection. 
    And then there’s god knows how many United fans coming from all over the place, some of whom will stop over etc. 
  • Options

Fraser is left footed, so wrong side.
    Mind you he would have still got closer than Albie.
  • Options

Depends how much bend Fraser could get with his left foot as the ball would be coming back in and if Scott had beaten the wall then closer than Albie's effort that was always going away from goal.
  • Options

Depends how much bend Fraser could get with his left foot as the ball would be coming back in and if Scott had beaten the wall then closer than Albie's effort that was always going away from goal.
    But you're generally more likely to score if the ball is bending away from the goalkeeper rather than towards him. 
  • Options
    From FF coments above:

''Of course, I loved every minute of the match & cheered/sang my heart out, albeit with more enthusiasm than volume. But, looking back, it was a struggle at times and intermittent coughing spasms meant tightly crossed legs & muttering thanks to  Lady Tena. Sorry, but you know by now that I tell it like it is.''

As always a superb assessment of the game, you are one of the most genuine of CAFC supporters, but perhaps just a tad too much infor (only joking). Keep the great work up!