Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne - now at Gillingham (p27)

Comments

• Options
    Isn't he an Ipswich fan? It's not the biggest crime in the world but liking that sort of thing on social media is asking for trouble needlessly 
    It's kind of failing the dickhead test.  It's just a lack of common sense and awareness, of course fans are going to be pissed off at losing 6-0 and liking the post by the winners is just going to wind people up. Shame he was not around when McOxo took his wife up the Oxo tower after a 4-2 (?) Defeat!
  • Options
    He could’ve come here and repeated the performances he put in during our championship season, which were imo, okay given his return and the fact he had stepped up from non league.  He’s lost his way since leaving us.  I don’t really care about his past comments or this ‘like’, because I very much doubt he’ll be here next season.  Not sure why Holden wants to make it public that he’ll be talking to Bonne about this.  Non story 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    He could’ve come here and repeated the performances he put in during our championship season, which were imo, okay given his return and the fact he had stepped up from non league.  He’s lost his way since leaving us.  I don’t really care about his past comments or this ‘like’, because I very much doubt he’ll be here next season.  Not sure why Holden wants to make it public that he’ll be talking to Bonne about this.  Non story 
    He would have been directly asked about it, so had to answer and they've then taken that soundbite. Holden hasn't gone out of his way to mention it
  • Options
    Is Gallen still at the club ?
    he was glued to MS (or vice versa) in directors box pre Christmas every home game , maybe a bit of Jan but since then I’ve not seen him at all 
    is he still around 🤷‍♂️ does anyone know 

• Options
    You're either for us or against us.  Bonne evidently ain't for us - I'd sack him.

• Options
    Fraser laughing with their players after is more annoying, both planks though 
    At least fraser knows how to play football. I don't understand why bonne is here, massive misjudgement of the opinion of him by people at the club, combined with him obviously having no social awareness (definitely dossnt match the no dickheads policy) and being a dogshit footballer... there really aren't many recent players I like less, he epitomises everything I don't like about the club recently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he was glued to MS (or vice versa) in directors box pre Christmas every home game , maybe a bit of Jan but since then I’ve not seen him at all 
    is he still around 🤷‍♂️ does anyone know.

On Charlton Live, Terry said he is now watching potential signings on a Saturday at 3pm, rather than watching Charlton. Makes sense.
    Rumoured he was at Welling last Saturday, Cray Wanderers this weekend & will be watching the Dog & Duck play the Malt Shovel on Sunday 😆
    C'mon golfie. You are better than this, everyone knows that the malt shovel are at home to the rose and crown
  • Options
    Has anybody spotted the theme:

Cost cut
    Crap of pitch
    Discipline issues
    Mgt and fans expect more 

I think all the above might be linked? Otherwise my Dowie Business degree from decades ago might be wasted!
  • Options
    Just sack him, pay him off and delete his number from Gallen's little black book
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Just sack him, pay him off and delete his number from Gallen's little black book
    What if HardShot has the lil black book in possession atm?
  • Options
    I was more than prepared to give Bonne a chance when he signed in January, game after game, I tried to see past the noise from fans, saying how naff he was, I wanted him to ‘Come good’ as East Stand Mike used to say.

But this fella keeps putting his foot in it, time and time again and riles up the Charlton fans.

Its a bit disrespectful to your employer and the fans who pay your wages (I’m guessing we are paying him something).

But the question I’m asking is, why does he keep doing this, and who does he have in his life to advise him?
  • Options

On Charlton Live, Terry said he is now watching potential signings on a Saturday at 3pm, rather than watching Charlton. Makes sense 
    I do wonder though why it took so long for him to do so, how was watching our games helping the club?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The signing of Bonne isn't even in the top 20 worst signings of the last 3 years.

It was worth a go and helped us shed Stockley. It hasn't worked out, oh well.

I'm not going to get upset about liking instagram posts because I'm not a child. He shouldn't have done it, mind.
    Not in the top 20 worst signings of the last few years?

Sorry, but for me he’s in the top 20 worst in the entire time I’ve been following Charlton (30 years). 

A striker who hadn’t scored in about a year, and nobody else wanted, who then goes on to alienate fans with his idiocy after a 6-0 loss.

If you reckon there are 20 worse than him in the last few years then I’d love to see that list.
    Sort of depends on your definition of worst. Worst player or worst in the effect they had/didn't have? Bonne was signed on a free when our season was already over. We were treading water and needed someone to come in so we could sell Stockley while we waited for Leaburn to come back. Bonne has scored more league goals for us than Stockley did this season. It's been bad and disappointing but it hasn't really affected anything. He was free, only on a six month deal so essentially the same as a loan and came in at a time when nothing mattered.
    Last three years might be a bit tight. Lavelle, Kirk, Penney, Mac, Castillo, John, Arter, Chuks 2.0, Watson, Souare, Gilbey, Gunter, Maddison, Matthews 2.0, Schwartz, Levitt, Smith, Leko 2.0, Roddy, Smyth was a big disappointment. That's 20 going back three years, plenty of room for debate in there and honestly even with that I'd say Bonne is number 21. Within these there's a bit of everything; players so bad they didn't even play, players signed for big money who let us down, players brought in to be relied on for promotion who failed us, backup players signed because they were cheap enough before we realised exactly why they were so cheap. Bonne's been bad but I've honestly found it hard to care based on where we were when he joined. I do however have nightmares about us relying on Watson to patrol our midfield, Schwartz to fire us to promotion, Leko and Arter to add quality to our first team or spending 500k on Kirk to end up in the L1 relegation zone. Top 20 in the last 30 years? Not a chance I won't remember Bonne next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

On Charlton Live, Terry said he is now watching potential signings on a Saturday at 3pm, rather than watching Charlton. Makes sense 
    I do wonder though why it took so long for him to do so, how was watching our games helping the club?
    It’s not his job, SG said so himself in an interview 

Martin S find’s and scouts the players 

SG negotiates the contracts 

Thomas signs the cheques 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The signing of Bonne isn't even in the top 20 worst signings of the last 3 years.

I'm not going to get upset about liking instagram posts because I'm not a child. He shouldn't have done it, mind.

Sorry, but for me he’s in the top 20 worst in the entire time I’ve been following Charlton (30 years). 

A striker who hadn’t scored in about a year, and nobody else wanted, who then goes on to alienate fans with his idiocy after a 6-0 loss.

If you reckon there are 20 worse than him in the last few years then I’d love to see that list.
    Sort of depends on your definition of worst. Worst player or worst in the effect they had/didn't have? Bonne was signed on a free when our season was already over. We were treading water and needed someone to come in so we could sell Stockley while we waited for Leaburn to come back. Bonne has scored more league goals for us than Stockley did this season. It's been bad and disappointing but it hasn't really affected anything. He was free, only on a six month deal so essentially the same as a loan and came in at a time when nothing mattered.
    Last three years might be a bit tight. Lavelle, Kirk, Penney, Mac, Castillo, John, Arter, Chuks 2.0, Watson, Souare, Gilbey, Gunter, Maddison, Matthews 2.0, Schwartz, Levitt, Smith, Leko 2.0, Roddy, Smyth was a big disappointment. That's 20 going back three years, plenty of room for debate in there and honestly even with that I'd say Bonne is number 21. Within these there's a bit of everything; players so bad they didn't even play, players signed for big money who let us down, players brought in to be relied on for promotion who failed us, backup players signed because they were cheap enough before we realised exactly why they were so cheap. Bonne's been bad but I've honestly found it hard to care based on where we were when he joined. I do however have nightmares about us relying on Watson to patrol our midfield, Schwartz to fire us to promotion, Leko and Arter to add quality to our first team or spending 500k on Kirk to end up in the L1 relegation zone. Top 20 in the last 30 years? Not a chance I won't remember Bonne next season.
    That is a pretty damning list. Take a bow recruitment team. I need to have a lie down after reading that. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Is there any evidence that Bonne is cheap? Feels like this is another one that will be repeated until accepted as fact
  • Options
    Cheap in the sense that he cost £0 in transfer fees and we only have him until the end of the season so no ongoing liability. I don't know what he's being paid in wages but I would be really surprised if it was more than we were paying Stockley, who we signed from a Championship club and cost us around £500k in transfer fees. Stockley out for cash and the removed ongoing costs of his longer term contract, Bonne in until the end of the season. I'd say that's pretty cheap.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafctom said:
    Shipping out Stockley to bring him in didn’t make sense at all.

Of course Stockley was majorly out of goal scoring form, but Bonne’s form was drastically worse. I think it’s a crying shame that we didn’t set up at any point to play to Stockley’s strengths (which he undeniably has).

On the other hand, I couldn’t tell you what Bonne’s key strengths are and how to get him firing. 

It was a downgrade
    This is the key point - personally I think Stockley was really struggling post-injury etc, and selling him was the right choice.

But replacing him with Bonne wasn't.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafctom said:

That is a pretty damning list. Take a bow recruitment team. I need to have a lie down after reading that. 
    That list gave me shivers when i read it, no one wonder we are floundering , the recruitment / ownership whatever you want to call it, has to change, if we are to not be in the same situation next season.