Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Bonne - now at Gillingham (p27)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Cheap in the sense that he cost £0 in transfer fees and we only have him until the end of the season so no ongoing liability. I don't know what he's being paid in wages but I would be really surprised if it was more than we were paying Stockley, who we signed from a Championship club and cost us around £500k in transfer fees. Stockley out for cash and the removed ongoing costs of his longer term contract, Bonne in until the end of the season. I'd say that's pretty cheap.
    I think as Louis Mendez was alluding to in his excellent takeaways, a level of acceptance is creeping into the fanbase. To accept this transfer of Bonne, and that we chased him for two windows, is to accept us as a mid-level L1 club. If we're happy with the kind of season we just had, I guess that's fine. Personally I'm pretty furious, and certainly not happy with this transfer, despite the explanation.
    I don't accept it, I have detached from it. I'm full apathy. It's a shame but I recently realised that about 50% of my life supporting Charlton it has been a total shitshow. Complete clown car for about 16 consecutive years (there was one good year in there to be fair). I took goal alerts off my phone, I got out of the minutiae of caring and I watch matches, feel disappointingly little when we both score and concede and look at it fairly objectively. While we're in mid-takeover rumblings I can't get hopeful about the future and I can't worry too much about the now because it's all in view of the impending changes. Either we're bought or we're not. If we aren't, more of the same. If we are then it'll either get better or worse or it won't change at all. I might wake up then or I might not, I can't tell. In the context of what we have though, Bonne was a cheap, temporary replacement for a misfiring striker who had to go, which is what I was responding to. I'm not happy about it, I just don't have the energy to be troubled by it anymore.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Shipping out Stockley to bring him in didn’t make sense at all.

Of course Stockley was majorly out of goal scoring form, but Bonne’s form was drastically worse. I think it’s a crying shame that we didn’t set up at any point to play to Stockley’s strengths (which he undeniably has).

On the other hand, I couldn’t tell you what Bonne’s key strengths are and how to get him firing. 

It was a downgrade. 
    It wasn't really though. It was swapping out a flat tire for a flat tire but getting paid for giving someone your current tire and picking the new one up off the scrap heap. They both have scored two league goals for us this season (I've checked and I'd evidently forgotten a Stockley goal, sorry Jayden!) Stockley scored a penalty in a 5-1 win and a header from about a yard out in a draw. Bonne scored a couple of simple goals in a 6-0 win and a 3-2 win. They provide very little. Stockley had to go because he was completely busted for us, even his hold up play and non-goal contributions had collapsed. He was a spare part. Bonne, when he's not offside, doesn't offer anything much more, and I reckon any vague uptick in his form will die away now he's managed to maneuver the fans onto his back again. Neither of them should be playing for us next season. What we did do was shift Stockley out while there was evidently a market for him, remove the liability of the remaining year on his contract and replace a long-term space-filler with a short-term space-filler. Bonne can go in June and fingers crossed we'll have new owners with a fresh slate to bring in a striker who looks like he recognises what his feet are.
    Honestly, if we're at the stage where we're quibbling about which rotting corpse smells better then we might be wasting our time. At this point all you can say is we created a situation where next season we don't have to have either, and that's good.
  • Options
    Stockley is in the top 20 for assists this season I was surprised to read earlier. 
  • Options
    And righty so ..fans now have to let him
    move on and d ore a few more goals for us before he joins Orient in the summer 
  • Options
    He has had issues with each Club he has been at, apart from non-league, surprise surprise. Has anybody met him? I'd imagine he isn't the most eloquent of chaps, at a pure guess!
  • Options
    Gallen needs to go for bringing this shit footballer back to the club.  Genuinely awful recruitment.
    Not defending Bonne as a player but who would you have signed instead for the same budget?

it's so easy to call for someone's head without understanding the reasons why we signed Bonne. I think it's quite simple, he was the only available player for that budget. Nothing to do with poor scouting in my view and everything to do with who was available and willing to join.
    It's not my job to know who is available and their price but there is no way that Bonne was the only player available... Port Vale took Matty Taylor from Oxford who would have been better for example.
    So it's not your job to know who is available but your job to call out gallen despite not knowing who is available?
    Weird argument.

Unless you have the knowledge that would be expected of a professional scout etc, you can't say whether you rate a footballer/think it was a bad decision to recommend them?

By that logic, unless a person can play football to a League One standard, are we never allowed to say if we think a player is any good?
    Don't you think it's weird saying that gallen should get sacked over this signing?
    Nope.

Whether I agree or not, it's not weird saying it.

We're on a forum to discuss Charlton, so it's going to be 90% our opinions on Charlton players, managers, and staff - including the DOF who's in charge of recruitment.

Athletico's post saying he thinks our recruitment has been terrible and so we should get rid of the guy he thinks is recruiting badly, why is that a weird thing to say on a football forum?

FWIW, I don't think Gallen is pulling up any tress, but he's rooting round the bargain bin given the budget so who would?
    Because we don't know the facts. We don't know who else was available, who else we enquired about and who made the decision to sign Bonne.

how do we know that Holden wasn't given the names of 3 players and was asked which one he wanted?

how do we know that this wasn't an Andy scott signing?

I said at the beginning that I'm not defending the Bonne signing but I dont understand why gallen is being called out when we don't know that this was a gallen signing.
    I think it has also been made clear recently that Gallen doesn't identify and scout players anymore, he is in charge of negotiating with clubs and players once they have been identified by the scouting team (MS and his black box).
    Which is why I don't understand why his head is being called for over the Bonne signing

He has been a key part of our recruitment team for something like 4-5 years now. His first year (I think) was a big success with promotion and some inspired signings.  Since when our recruitment has been dreadful.  This has included times we have been skint but also times when relative to other L1 clubs we have been quite wealthy.

He pinned his sail to the mast on the likes of Kirk whom is an appallingly as signing we chased over multiple windows.

This is my view as a football fan, on a football fans forum.  Of course I don't know who was available or their cost and maybe everyone else was poor but I knew Bonne was crap because I had seen him before.  I even heard Gallen say the best bit of business he had ever done was selling him with a smile on his face. Then we bring him back.  

Maybe Gallen has been really hard done by and all his amazing recommendations have been turned down by others who were more persuasive than him but after years now of poor recruitment, a shake up of the recruitment team seems sensible and for me that is goodbye to MS and SG.

It's my opinion. You don't have to agree and whoever owns us certainly won't care what I think. 
    Has t it been said on here that gallen hasn't been iolved in identifying players, he negotiates the deal?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He has had issues with each Club he has been at, apart from non-league, surprise surprise. Has anybody met him? I'd imagine he isn't the most eloquent of chaps, at a pure guess!
    Nope, but after his goal against Shrewsbury you can see his clearly well liked among the Charlton players.

Wonder if that will change now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:
    Nope, but after his goal against Shrewsbury you can see his clearly well liked among the Charlton players.

I doubt any of them care what the fans think, they'd back their mate over us and the club any day. 

Fraser and Payne cupping their ears to the away end after we scored last night sums the attitude of the squad up. 
    That didn’t sit too well with me. 

They lost 6-0 at the weekend ffs, they’re not in any position to be cupping ears towards the fanbase that have largely given them a fairly easy ride through yet another underwhelming season.
    Fraser played for them. If their supporters were giving him shit, then why shouldn't he give it back? I don't see what Saturday has to do with it? this was a different game against a different team.

im not sure why Payne got involved, maybe he heard the stick his mate was getting and was backing him up. If that was the case then good. I'm glad out players have each others backs and can't see how that sums up the attitude of the squad
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Shipping out Stockley to bring him in didn’t make sense at all.

Of course Stockley was majorly out of goal scoring form, but Bonne’s form was drastically worse. I think it’s a crying shame that we didn’t set up at any point to play to Stockley’s strengths (which he undeniably has).

On the other hand, I couldn’t tell you what Bonne’s key strengths are and how to get him firing. 

It was a downgrade. 
    It wasn’t a downgrade, they’ve been as poor as each other for us this season. He’s not the player he was last year and that’s shown in his struggle to score goals for Fleetwood.

A traditional target man with all his limitations isn’t what we need to get out of this league and make progress beyond that. The rest of the squad isn’t built to play to those strengths and we shouldn’t rebuild it around that type of player.

In a season going nowhere it was the right decision to let Stockley go when the opportunity came up. Replacing with Bonne wasn’t ideal but his contract length shows he’s not intended to be a longer term replacement.

With the ownership situation getting a striker in until the end of the season to temporarily cover the gap means we can (try to) properly replace him in the summer when there’s a chance we’ll have a bigger budget and maybe even money to spend on a fee. There was no chance TS or any potential owner was going to pay a fee to sign a new striker.

Ideally it wouldn’t have been Bonne but the key thing is it leaves us with a gap to fill in the summer when there are more and better players available.
  • Options
    Is Gallen still at the club ?
    he was glued to MS (or vice versa) in directors box pre Christmas every home game , maybe a bit of Jan but since then I’ve not seen him at all 
    is he still around 🤷‍♂️ does anyone know 

On Charlton Live, Terry said he is now watching potential signings on a Saturday at 3pm, rather than watching Charlton. Makes sense 
    Lucky bugger!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

I doubt any of them care what the fans think, they'd back their mate over us and the club any day. 

Fraser and Payne cupping their ears to the away end after we scored last night sums the attitude of the squad up. 

They lost 6-0 at the weekend ffs, they’re not in any position to be cupping ears towards the fanbase that have largely given them a fairly easy ride through yet another underwhelming season.
    I don’t think Payne was cupping ears. If you look at the replays etc, he’s trying (poorly) to do Rashford’s “point to your temple” goal celebration. That’s what it looks like to me.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

Fraser played for them. If their supporters were giving him shit, then why shouldn't he give it back? I don't see what Saturday has to do with it? this was a different game against a different team.

im not sure why Payne got involved, maybe he heard the stick his mate was getting and was backing him up. If that was the case then good. I'm glad out players have each others backs and can't see how that sums up the attitude of the squad
    You've read that wrong or forgot where we were playing last night. He cupped his ears to the away end, which we were in. 
  • Options
    Payne might only be pointing at his bonce but fraser behind is definitely giving it both ears. 
  • Options
    To be fair, although Bonne's been crap he was still better than Stockley this season. 
    I agree….Stockley has no pace and technically poor…..
  • Options
    I think Fraser's just saying 'let's hear ya'....he didn't score or assist, so very much doubt he is giving it large.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Nah definitely giving it 
  • Options
    Thanks Macaulay, it's been a blast. I hope never to see you again on a football pitch.
  • Options
    Thanks Macaulay, it's been a blast. I hope never to see you again on a football pitch.
    I wouldn’t bet my mortgage on it to be honest. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Nah definitely giving it 
    No chance, that angle is deceiving. The video shows he’s pointing at his temple.

• Options
    I wouldn’t mind if he’s playing for the oppo , although could mean we’re in league two or lower 
  • Options
    I wouldn’t mind if he’s playing for the oppo , although could mean we’re in league two or lower 
    And he bags a hat-trick; one off his knee, one off his arse and the third a clearance that hits him flush in the face and trickles over the line.
  • Options
    Fully expect to see him next season at Orient.