Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Macauley Bonne - now at Southend (p29)

Comments

• Can see him going back to Leyton Orient in the summer. 

That would be in the same division as us. If he's not good enough for us at this level then he almost certainly won't be good enough for Orient. 
  • edited February 2023
    Can see him going back to Leyton Orient in the summer. 

That would be in the same division as us. If he's not good enough for us at this level then he almost certainly won't be good enough for Orient. 
    He is still highly regarded at the O’s from his previous spell there and Martin Ling (DOF) did speak with him prior to his move back to us about a possible move to Orient in the January window. Wages were apparently an issue. This was from an interview with Ling on an O’s podcast a few weeks back. 

• In a team that plays with one striker, Bonne is third choice behind a child and player that is perennially injured. 

I’m sure he’ll get a contract somewhere this summer, they have my deepest sympathies. 
  • Can see him going back to Leyton Orient in the summer. 

He is still highly regarded at the O’s from his previous spell there and Martin Ling (DOF) did speak with him prior to his move back to us about a possible move to Orient in the January window. Wages were apparently an issue. This was from an interview with Ling on an O’s podcast a few weeks back. 

And we know that being back at a place where a player has had success can bring confidence (45 goals in 90 games there). As can a system that suits. The fact is that he found the net 11 times in the first 15 games of last season for Ipswich but since then, he's only scored once in 47 appearances. So something has changed. The issue is that, unlike Leaburn Snr & Jnr, there isn't a lot else to his game to compensate for those lack of goals. 
  • Only fit striker now.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Only fit striker now.
    That's not his fault although he will bear the brunt of some people's anger because by definition he has to play now when he might not have done had we actually had four strikers on our books at any one time this season. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Only fit striker now.
    That's not his fault although he will bear the brunt of some people's anger because by definition he has to play now when he might not have done had we actually had four strikers on our books at any one time this season. 
    We chased him for two windows so you think he'd be good enough to play. Now we're saying "It's not his fault he has to play!"
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only fit striker now.
    We chased him for two windows so you think he'd be good enough to play. Now we're saying "It's not his fault he has to play!"
    But all players get dropped when out of form don't they? Is it his fault the other two are injured? Is it his fault we chased him or the fault of those who did so and still left us a striker short? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only fit striker now.
    But all players get dropped when out of form don't they? Is it his fault the other two are injured? Is it his fault we chased him or the fault of those who did so and still left us a striker short? 
    He hasn't scored a single goal in 40+ games at League One level. Criticism for his form is absolutely warranted.

Its not as if he has been thrown into a situation where he's had to play Manchester City every week.
  • edited February 2023
    cafctom said:
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only fit striker now.
    He hasn't scored a single goal in 40+ games at League One level. Criticism for his form is absolutely warranted.

Its not as if he has been thrown into a situation where he's had to play Manchester City every week.

I'm not saying that he is beyond criticism but how many chances have we created for him since he came back? He's not got a supply line provided by the likes of Mahrez, Foden, KDB or Grealish either.

Equally, we've got another forward who has scored one League goal this season and four in total in the last year. And another that we sold because he'd only scored two goals this season. We chose to sign Bonne in the same way as we chose to sign Aneke and Stockley. Leaburn, to his credit, has managed half a dozen but he hasn't scored in the same number of games Bonne hasn't for us. We didn't have to sign any of them but the truth might just be, as TEL suggests, that the system doesn't suit one forward especially someone like Bonne who relies on delivery. He's only with us 'til the end of the season and we aren't going anywhere so we haven't lost that much.

The more pertinent aspect is who and how many strikers are we going to sign for next season. I suspect that, with this regime, the answer will be one and the same arguments will apply next year. Whoever it is.  
  • Had more touches playing with his hair than with the ball today.
    Did he actually touch the ball today ? I mean meaningful touches. His heat map wouldn't light a fag.
    Is he supposed to run back to our penalty area and get AMB to roll him the ball? Its about the only way to 'touch' it, given the pathetic service he gets.
  • Major said:
    Had more touches playing with his hair than with the ball today.
    Did he actually touch the ball today ? I mean meaningful touches. His heat map wouldn't light a fag.
    Is he supposed to run back to our penalty area and get AMB to roll him the ball? It’s about the only way to 'touch' it, given the pathetic service he gets.
    Yes he won the first 3 headers he went for .. which I think was more then Leaburn won all game I am not digging out Leaburn but it’s fact . Point is no one slagging Leaburn of again Bonne the latest scrape-goat but actually he done ok when he came on .. and again got no service at all in the time he was on … people should look where the real issue is and it’s not up front 
  • Major said:
    Had more touches playing with his hair than with the ball today.
    Is he supposed to run back to our penalty area and get AMB to roll him the ball? It’s about the only way to 'touch' it, given the pathetic service he gets.
    Yes he won the first 3 headers he went for .. which I think was more then Leaburn won all game I am not digging out Leaburn but it’s fact . Point is no one slagging Leaburn of again Bonne the latest scrape-goat but actually he done ok when he came on .. and again got no service at all in the time he was on … people should look where the real issue is and it’s not up front 
    Exactly this. I said Saturday to the bloke next me when Leaburn missed that sitter that had that been Bonne people would be doing there nuts. Not saying he’s mustard but he is unfairly dug out. As was Stockley. 
  • The worrying thing is if we don’t have a new owner by the summer I can’t see Bonne and all the other dross we signed in January going anywhere.
  • edited February 2023
    cafctom said:
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only fit striker now.

I'm not saying that he is beyond criticism but how many chances have we created for him since he came back? He's not got a supply line provided by the likes of Mahrez, Foden, KDB or Grealish either.
    I said when we signed him it wouldn't be long until people were blaming "the service." 

We've never been a team to create loads for our lone striker, so why sign someone who needs chances laid on a plate in order to contribute. 

Now we find praise anywhere. We've got used to having such poor players that you can actually win praise from us fans for winning two or three headers! I remember when Taylor used to spin his man and smash them in from 25-yards. Oh how we've fallen. 
  • DA9 said:

On the day neither could anyone but Chuks & CBT 
  • We create next to nothing - Bonne needs service. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    We create next to nothing - Bonne needs service. 
    It was somewhat telling, Chuks dropped for the ball and had the confidence to take people on. It's so frustrating our others can't do that or at least try. They spend a lot of time trying to run into channels and closing themselves off.

Bonne and Leaburn need to play together as Bonne can win headers and Leaburn can run things down... A bit backwards given their comparative sizes, but they need to be able to support one another. 

One striker isn't doing the job. 

AMB
    Hector - Inniss - Ness 
    Clare - Morgan - Dobson - Fraser - B.Taylor
    Leaburn - Bonne

• Dazzler21 said:
    We create next to nothing - Bonne needs service. 
    It was somewhat telling, Chuks dropped for the ball and had the confidence to take people on. 

It's so frustrating our others can't do that. Bonne and Leaburn need to play together as Bonne can win the headers and Leaburn can run things down... A bit backwards given their comparative sizes, but they need to be able to support one another. 
    Chuks like Taylor can create stuff on their own - Bonne like many strikers relies on service. In the current setup he's just a passenger.
  • Chunes said:
    Poor lad has gone 44 games without any service
    Games where Bonne has played more than 30 mins in those 44 games:
    5/7 for CAFC
    0/8 for QPR
    9/19 for Ipswich

So he's only been a bit part player for 30/44 games. Or two thirds of those games. Seems a bit unfair to judge him on what he's done anywhere but here this season.

So far it's 7MP, 0G, 0A so far and I bet he's even more pissed about it than you are. This was seen as his chance to redeem himself and it isn't working out so far. 
  • Beyond pony he heads it to no one , i saw one header won
    He contributes diddly , it's a team game 
    for the record i said how appalling Leaburns miss was and hes now a better non scoring forward we have in our ranks 
  • Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    5/7 for CAFC
    0/8 for QPR
    9/19 for Ipswich

So he's only been a bit part player for 30/44 games. Or two thirds of those games. Seems a bit unfair to judge him on what he's done anywhere but here this season.

So far it's 7MP, 0G, 0A so far and I bet he's even more pissed about it than you are. This was seen as his chance to redeem himself and it isn't working out so far. 
    A striker coming on against tiring defenders is still supposed to score. He's had 30 tries of that, plus 14 starts and scored 1 goal. 

Do you still rate this bloke Daz?
    I don't particularly rate him no, I doo like to treat players fairly. Don't get me wrong he's running out of time. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    5/7 for CAFC
    0/8 for QPR
    9/19 for Ipswich

There is a reason he is a bit part player... He is just not very good is he?
  • As I say, he's only here for a maximum of 14 games. We can then look forward to the two (and I hope that no one will dispute that we need two of them as we did at the start of this season) "all singing/all dancing" strikers that we will no doubt be signing in the summer.