Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Open 2023

Comments

• Options
    He is not competing in Slams like he says he is. Competing means at least reaching the 2nd week and he hasn't done that since 2017.
    I'm sorry. That is made up bollocks.
    For the record:

Aussie 4th 
    French 1/4
    Wimbledon 1/4
    US Withdrew

Aus Withdrew
    French Injured
    Wimble Withdrew
    US  2nd Round

Aus 1st round
    French DNC
    Wimbledon DNC 
    US DNC

US 2nd Round
    French 1st Round

AUS DNC
    French DNC
    Wimbledon 3rd round
    US 1st round

AUS 2nd round
    French DNC
    Wimbledon 2nd round
    US 3rd round

Aus 3rd round

Competing means reaching the second week in a tennis Grand Slam as does  making the weekend in a golf Major does. 
    That is just your definition of competing.
  • Options
    He said post match that he wasn't injured against Bautista, and feels he can compete into the tournaments more so now. 

The issue sounds like he had three hours sleep after beating Kokkinakis, he then had a ton of blisters that needed to be seen to, had a little bit more sleep, then an ice bath etc.

For the most part he went toe to toe with Bautista, if it had been a walkover Id maybe agree - But the ridiculous timing of his matches seem to have left him with too much to do

Guess we'll see over the course of the season.

I doubt though he cares what people feel is competing or not though, not when you consider that he has retired once already 
  • Options
    I agree, competing for a grand slam is making the second week. 

Competing in individual matches within the grand slam is a different thing but in terms of the grand slams you must be making the second week to have been considered to have been competing for title 
  • Options
    Competing in a grand slam means qualifying for it then playing in it with the intention of winning.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    LenGlover said:
    No British players in the second week in singles.

In doubles Joe Salisbury, Neal Skupski and Lloyd Glasspool are still battling away with their respective partners. Jamie Murray lost earlier this week.
    Removed as Stoiber in the youth draw 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    He is not competing in Slams like he says he is. Competing means at least reaching the 2nd week and he hasn't done that since 2017.
    Eh? 
    Look at his record in Slams since 2017, he wins a hard fought 5 setter in the first round and then goes out in the 2nd round to a nobody. So he reached the 3rd round in Melbourne this year but he just doesn't have the physical ability to play in Grand Slams past the first week, nothing to do with his undoubted talent, it's purely about his body's inability to recover in time because of all his historical injuries, age and surgery.  That's not an opinion, it's a fact. 
    It is a fact that he is older and has the consequences of his injuries to overcome. 
    It is not a fact that competing means reaching the 2nd week.  That is opinion.
    Anyway, whatever.
  • Options
    Competing in a grand slam means qualifying for it then playing in it with the intention of winning.
    So all 128 players then ? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    This post has generated perhaps the most pedantic “internet-in-a-nutshell” disagreement I’ve seen in at least a week.

First off, Murray didn’t even use the word compete in his tweet.

Second of all, he very much has been competing in each individual match. Rarely does he look completely outclassed in defeat. He’s not competing for titles, granted. But there are different levels to any competition.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    All 128 players are competing, yes.

I don't know what is so difficult to understand.

128 players entered the competition. Apart from any who did so intending to drop out they are all competing.
  • Options
    This post has generated perhaps the most pedantic “internet-in-a-nutshell” disagreement I’ve seen in at least a week.

First off, Murray didn’t even use the word compete in his tweet.

Second of all, he very much has been competing in each individual match. Rarely does he look completely outclassed in defeat. He’s not competing for titles, granted. But there are different levels to any competition.
    It's just like the arguments I have with my partner. Only difference I don't sleep in the spare room afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s was a competitor in a competition, therefore he competed. Really weird to try and define it any other way. 

Was he realistic contender for the overall championship? Probably not, but he still competed in it. 
  • Options
    It's the literal versus lateral argument.
    I mean, we are competing for promotion from League One aren't we.
    No, really  :*
  • Options
    As far as the tennis goes, who is going to stop Djokovic?
    Wish I didn't have an irrational dislike of him. There is no good reason at all, but I can't warm to him.
    The problem is all mine, but it spoils my enjoyment of his tennis
  • Options
    As far as the tennis goes, who is going to stop Djokovic?
    Wish I didn't have an irrational dislike of him. There is no good reason at all, but I can't warm to him.
    The problem is all mine, but it spoils my enjoyment of his tennis
    I'm not sure it's irrational.  

He comes across as a dick.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

In doubles Joe Salisbury, Neal Skupski and Lloyd Glasspool are still battling away with their respective partners. Jamie Murray lost earlier this week.
    Removed as Stoiber in the youth draw 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Stoiber has won a round in the Womens doubles with her partner.
  • Options
    For the record:

Aussie 4th 
    French 1/4
    Wimbledon 1/4
    US Withdrew

Aus Withdrew
    French Injured
    Wimble Withdrew
    US  2nd Round

Aus 1st round
    French DNC
    Wimbledon DNC 
    US DNC

US 2nd Round
    French 1st Round

AUS DNC
    French DNC
    Wimbledon 3rd round
    US 1st round

AUS 2nd round
    French DNC
    Wimbledon 2nd round
    US 3rd round

Aus 3rd round

Competing means reaching the second week in a tennis Grand Slam as does  making the weekend in a golf Major does. 
    Has your Dad hacked your account? ;)
  • Options
    He’s was a competitor in a competition, therefore he competed. Really weird to try and define it any other way. 

Was he realistic contender for the overall championship? Probably not, but he still competed in it. 
    Agreed. Murray will never be a realistic contender for a grand slam title again but I don't think he ever thought he would be after his surgery. It's a massive achievement for him to still be winning games at the level he is though. 

After RG this year I think that'll be it for Nadal too.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

128 players entered the competition. Apart from any who did so intending to drop out they are all competing.
    you are being deliberately obtuse.
    The original comment was about him being in the reckoning for winning grand slam competitions

you obviously consider Everton and Southampton are currently competing for the Prem league title.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Salisbury has lost but Skupski still going in both the Mens and Mixed doubles. Jamie Murray (as pointed out by someone earlier) is still going in the Mixed.
  • Options
    To be fair though, his 'not competing' earned him 120k in a few days.

There's quite a lot of pro's out there who wouldn't mind that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

The original comment was about him being in the reckoning for winning grand slam competitions

you obviously consider Everton and Southampton are currently competing for the Prem league title.
    No. I am questioning his definition of "compete", and Everton and Southampton are competing in the Premier league.

I'm bored trying to clarify this so think what you like.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    So close for Holger Rune 😖
    Was serving for the match and then later in the set also had two match points.
    Was also ahead 7-3 in the 5th set tiebreak.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

No. I am questioning his definition of "compete", and Everton and Southampton are competing in the Premier league.

Ok, my final comment is Murray wants to get back to being competitive in the grand slams and not just be competing in the grand slams making the numbers up. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Ok, my final comment is Murray wants to get back to being competitive in the grand slams and not just be competing in the grand slams making the numbers up. 
    I agree.

Apologies for my snippy last sentence 🙏 
  • Options
    I wonder what sort of schedule Murray will have for the next few months, and how much clay he will play.

Obviously he'll want to do well at Wimbledon, but Queens could be a realistic target for one more title
  • Options
    Schedule of play for later... two women's QF and two men's QF.

• Options
    Djokovic in imperious form as he reaches his 10th Australian open semi final.

Only dropped one set so far (on a tie break) and in 5 matches he's won 9 sets by 6-2 or less.
  • Options
    To be honest I am more concerned about the long term damage he may be doing.
     Could end up in a wheelchair before he's fifty
    I’m pretty sure he would have been told by his surgeons if that was the case. He’s certainly pushing the boundaries though. 
  • Options
    Djokovic in imperious form as he reaches his 10th Australian open semi final.

Only dropped one set so far (on a tie break) and in 5 matches he's won 9 sets by 6-2 or less.
    Can't see him losing, even Tsitsipas won't get close.

Rybakina looks very good for the women's title too but at least it might be close.
  • Options
    Rybakina beats Azarenka in straight sets to reach the final.