Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic V Fleetwood Town; Saturday 11th February 2023; KO 3.00pm

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    A demoralising afternoon where only Sean Clare and arguably Lucas Ness rose above the rest of the dross in red shirts.

Inniss has been playing better under Holden (keep it simple, stupid) and was very unlucky to get a red card. If we appeal it, I think it'll be overturned. And if we do appeal it, I suppose Inniss will be able to play on Tuesday? Having sold O'Connell and left our squad so light on experienced/fit central defenders, we need him.

The total mystery is how Penney managed to gain two player of the month awards when on loan at Motherwell. My life, they must be fucking appalling up there is he stands out as a good thing. I know there's a huge risk in playing untried youngsters but I really would give Oguntayo (U21s) or Bower (U18s) a start ahead of him. Both impress at their level, both proper left footers (unlike Richard Chin). They couldn't do any worse.

Not much has been said about Fleetwood's defensive performance, which I thought was very good. They had a good structure, denied us space, doubled up on our wide players. We just didn't have the creativity to break them down. I wish our defence would perform like that.

Hope we can bounce back at Forest Green, for more points before a very tricky run of games.

Also hope that Holden stays, until the end of the season at least. He has been the one ray of hope in recent weeks and I feel even worse about yesterday's performance/result because I fear he might walk this week.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Not convinced the appeal will be overturned as the player would've got a shot off.  
    Sessegnon not sprinting back with the forward compounded the problem.

Ness did what we all teach our CB's when coaching: one CB goes to a player and the other drops off. Ironically if Ness had been closer to Inniss and doubled up then no red card !

Inniss not being quick enough and being vulnerable when forwards run at him and Stephen Sessegnon not being able to stay with the forward led to the red card. Ness I attach no blame.

Despite Sean Clare being slagged off by many on here, does have the pace to have stayed with the forward from a level start.

Just my opinion from reviewing the footage.

• Options
    I had to watch it a few times but Innis won the ball
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I had to watch it a few times but Innis won the ball
    I thought he got the ball at the game. Both teams seemed initially confused as to why the ref had blown his whistle.
  • Options
    The more I see that tackle,the more I see Innis getting the ball,and in fact it was a shit hot tackle,perfectly timed,not even a foul.
  • Options
    I don’t think he does get the ball, if he did it would be flying towards the touch line for a throw in, instead it’s trajectory hardly changes. Never a red though. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Seeing the replay on stream, close up and slow mo, he doesn't get the ball. Still wasn't a red though.

It was the sort of challenge you see all the time in midfield, slides across in front of his man, continue into each other, down he goes. Yellow at most. Wasnt malicious, didn't go through his man, not a lunge, wasn't two footed. 
  • Options
    The more I see that tackle,the more I see Innis getting the ball,and in fact it was a shit hot tackle,perfectly timed,not even a foul.
    i'm not sure I can go that far, but the fact that several people agree with you surely proves that if the tackle itself is the reason for the card it should be yellow. How the hell would it be red ? it's a nano-second away from being an outstanding recovery tackle -and for all people slag him off now, that tackle is also very much in his locker, just not so much in the last year or so for whatever reason. Certainly he had every right to make it, so not reckless and not especially dangerous. (Exactly as said above, if Chris Solly makes it, yellow at worst)

Well Brownie and Curbs decided (for all the reasons I've retailed above) that it has to be for assumed "last man" but they conclude that Ness is coming in ready if the Fleetwood forward evades Inniss.

And then there is the ref's behaviour. This is key. If you want to put up something helpfull from the footage @Chunes it would be a clip which shows the lead up, the challenge and then everything up to the point he gets out his card. I've never seen anything like it In League One - whereas you see it all the time in the PL and the World Cup, why, because the ref gets guidance over radio from the VAR people, and at least in the PL, they then take over and inform him of their decision (In other countries like here, they invite the ref to go to a monitor to review and decide for himself). That ref yesterday was initially not even going to get his card out. Nor do I recall a particular clamour from FL for one, they were after a penalty.Only after quite a stretch do you see the ref walking on his own, clearly listening intently to his earpiece, then without saying anything back, pulling out the red. It's quite extraordinary. And we deserve to know exactly whom he was talking to, and why, and whether this is normal, since Curbs and Brownie ddon't know, and we fund this clown-show.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    i'm not sure I can go that far, but the fact that several people agree with you surely proves that if the tackle itself is the reason for the card it should be yellow. How the hell would it be red ? it's a nano-second away from being an outstanding recovery tackle -and for all people slag him off now, that tackle is also very much in his locker, just not so much in the last year or so for whatever reason. Certainly he had every right to make it, so not reckless and not especially dangerous. (Exactly as said above, if Chris Solly makes it, yellow at worst)

Well Brownie and Curbs decided (for all the reasons I've retailed above) that it has to be for assumed "last man" but they conclude that Ness is coming in ready if the Fleetwood forward evades Inniss.

And then there is the ref's behaviour. This is key. If you want to put up something helpfull from the footage @Chunes it would be a clip which shows the lead up, the challenge and then everything up to the point he gets out his card. I've never seen anything like it In League One - whereas you see it all the time in the PL and the World Cup, why, because the ref gets guidance over radio from the VAR people, and at least in the PL, they then take over and inform him of their decision (In other countries like here, they invite the ref to go to a monitor to review and decide for himself). That ref yesterday was initially not even going to get his card out. Nor do I recall a particular clamour from FL for one, they were after a penalty.Only after quite a stretch do you see the ref walking on his own, clearly listening intently to his earpiece, then without saying anything back, pulling out the red. It's quite extraordinary. And we deserve to know exactly whom he was talking to, and why, and whether this is normal, since Curbs and Brownie ddon't know, and we fund this clown-show.
    It was the wrong decision, but I don't see a problem with refereeing teams communicating over their earpieces, or a ref giving himself time to discuss with the linesman before making a call. Agree they should explain their decisions, I think this has been mentioned somewhere official recently. Disagree that this footage would be useful ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think an appeal will drop it to a yellow - Innis was not the last man - it was outside the box - the Ref is fucking miles away - Lino is on opposite side of pitch - player is heading away (ish) from goal - if he beats Innis, Ness can still cover 

But, I’m seeing it from a Charlton fan perspective 😀
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I am in agreeance with the popular opinion that it was a yellow at most, and def not a red, however with the ref communicating with someone, assume 4th official, and still giving the red, does that diminish the chance of an appeal being overturned as we all think it should, are we battling against more than just the ref in this case...
    I know it goes to a panel, but would the original decision be enhanced in any way is what I am thinking.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It was the wrong decision, but I don't see a problem with refereeing teams communicating over their earpieces, or a ref giving himself time to discuss with the linesman before making a call. Agree they should explain their decisions, I think this has been mentioned somewhere official recently. Disagree that this footage would be useful ;)
    Neither do I. So long as we understand clearly the following:

- does the linesman or 4th official proactively help the referee by pointing out possible oversights? Or do they stay schtum until the ref asks their opinion?
    - in the case of the 4th official does he have access to any video playback that assists him in giving advice.?
    - as per @eastterrace6168 question if other officials proactively get involved, are they also involved in any review of decisions? 

The FA need to state the answers to these questions clearly and without a shadow of a doubt for the benefit of customers. Furthermore  the results of all appeals with their reasoning, should be made publicly available. I can't think of any good reason why they should remain secret. How many billions per year does this industry gross?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Didn’t catch the whole game as was occupied with other bits (including yes, a hair cut!) but what I did get to see wasn’t pretty I’m afraid.

While we definitely didn’t do enough to deserve to win the game, Fleetwood got the rub of the green on a couple of occasions that I firmly believe turned 1 point into 3.

The amount of stop-start we went through played completely into their hands and their gameplan. Not to mention the state of the pitch and what a hinderance that is going to be to any team looking to play passing football between now and May.

The pivotal moment that changed the game for me was Danny Andrew’s injury.

No doubt Andrew is a good full back at this level but on the right side, Johnston was having perhaps the worst afternoon of his career against Corey and his pace.

Andrew hobbled off and they subbed on a very good right back in Rooney who not only dealt with Corey much better, he ends up leathering one into the top corner out of nothing. 

Added bonus, Johnston switched sides and now, up against Rak-Sakyi, he has a much better time dealing with trickery rather than pace. It gave Fleetwood much more balance to their defensive shape.

We tried getting Corey back on that side to face up Johnston again but it was not nearly as effective unfortunately.

Overall, as bad as both teams were in terms of talent level, the Fleetwood coaching team deserve credit for how well they were set up defensively. Very rarely did they get completely opened up as they blocked passing lanes and openly encouraged us to pass across the “horseshoe” back line.

They treated us seriously, came to the Valley knowing our strengths and played a very disciplined game.

The fact that we weren’t really able break down a team that sets up that way is a clear indication that there is a gap between us and the Sheff Weds, Plymouths and Boltons of this league.

When you don’t have the calibre of squad to compete at the top end, days like yesterday where the opponent sets up well and grabs a bit of luck to win are going to happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Chunes said:

Neither do I. So long as we understand clearly the following:

- does the linesman or 4th official proactively help the referee by pointing out possible oversights? Or do they stay schtum until the ref asks their opinion?
    - in the case of the 4th official does he have access to any video playback that assists him in giving advice.?
    - as per @eastterrace6168 question if other officials proactively get involved, are they also involved in any review of decisions? 

The FA need to state the answers to these questions clearly and without a shadow of a doubt for the benefit of customers. Furthermore  the results of all appeals with their reasoning, should be made publicly available. I can't think of any good reason why they should remain secret. How many billions per year does this industry gross?
    Agree, it is strange that refs are seemingly a law unto themselves and just dish out judgements with impunity and in the safe knowledge that he or she will never be held to account, at least when it comes to the clubs and supporters.
    They should at least have to explain big decisions to the watching supporters who just often watch in disbelief and total unknowing of what has just happened, I know it is different in the states when each decision in American football the ref announces each stop and why he has taken the action he has.
    Open transparency is all we are asking for..
  • Options
    I am not sure I have seen a worse fullback at Charlton - Penneys contributions 
    1) Headed the ball directly to their player to score the first goal
    2 ) Lost control of the ball - and knocked it out for a throw on - we touched the ball once after that -  when our keeper made a save for a corner which led to their second goal
    3 ) Lost the ball in a challenge which led directly to Innis getting sent off 
    Hopefully he Penney will be out for 6 months !!
    Number 1 is harsh. He headed out of danger to a player who should have been marked by CBT who then had an okay shot from 25 yards which Maynard-Brewer should have saved. 
  • Options
    Bolton was the game where we all knew realistically any slim chance of a playoff charge ended, that result set it in stone. 

I am now at the point where I don't know if I can be even bothered to show up to home games, let alone away games. Fed up of watching chancers and crap players steal a wage in our red and white.

Our best player is a loan who is gone next season, none of them are near his level upfront I'm afraid to say. Haven't got time for any of them bar a handful. 

Usual players played alright/well in spells, JRS, CBT, Dobbo, Fraser, Ness, rest are pants. That Penney is atrocious, Innis didn't deserve a red but it was gonna happen sooner or later anyway this season, liability, Bonne seems useless now. 

I'll be honest I've completely given up on the team, the idea of watching us get smashed by Sheffield Wednesday who are a proper outfit, with a full away end up against our half empty stadium with a bunch of crap players just brings me down. Probably still go but out of pure habit/blind loyalty rather than actually enjoying myself. 

Happy weekend 
    The pain in that post. The angst and self loathing at your own blind ingrained loyalty to a shambolic lost cause is heart wrenching but at the same time stirring.
  • Options
    I was sitting there thinking, oh my God Fleetwood are actually gonna win this. For their first goal, I could hear their striker scream but not their fans... a new low to add to my collection, like the time my dad didn't see me and locked me in the garden.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    I feel gutted tbh from what I saw yesterday. 

The new boys didn't cut the mustard and the debacle of the pivotal centre back position with O'Connell gone, Inniss out already and others who have a tiny handful of games behind them to cover ... I reckon we could be left wide open.

I thought Fleetwood's first goal was a cracking shot, but should have been saved.  Rooney was what 24 yards out, and the ball passed MB within an arm stretch .  As for the second goal - a picture tells a thousand words.  

The other thing that grieves me is the way that football is played in League One.  Most weeks a team (including us) will seek to disrupt the game, time waste, feign injury and use general gamesmanship.  Yeah it may get you over the line to victory, but my god it does the profession no good whatsoever.  It's too late for me as I am serving a life sentence, but if I were a casual observer or new supporter I'd be hard pressed to go again to witness that.  

Phew, I need a lie down  :/

Some of the time wasting from the oppo feigning injury got right on my tits. Embarrassing as a football fan watching some of that including Penneys ridiculous fall to the floor in the penalty area.
    The time wasting could be dealt with very easily if the referees produced a yellow card at the first sign of it occuring rather than waiting to the last few minutes.  Additional time like at the start of the World Cup would also have the desired effect - but meanwhile the EFL will sit back while the paying fans are literally being robbed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I was surprised that the ref produced a red card. But I was sat behind the home dugout and there was not any shock at the decision - this seemed to be the case on the pitch too. Did any of our players or staff actually argue it?
  • Options
    A really dispiriting afternoon to puncture the feel good factor after 4 wins in 5. Fleetwood came with a very clear game plan and executed it extremely well, although we always seem to struggle against teams who sit deep and get lots of men behind the ball. The absence of Leaburn was a major blow and, as a result, we lacked any semblance of a threat through the centre.

It was garbage for the most part, with Bonne and Penney particularly hopeless. The only positives were JRS's lovely goal - which was completely out of keeping with the general dross - and getting Aneke and Sessegnon back on the pitch for the last half hour - not that either are likely to be fit enough to start on Tuesday. 

It's vital that we get a positive result against Forest Green, as the following four games are really tough and we don't want to find ourselves being dragged back down towards the lower reaches of the table. The squad is paper thin with the current crop of injuries (and Inniss' likely suspension) and, following O'Connell's sale, we just have to hope that Hector and/or Thomas can step up to the plate and stay injury free, despite only having played a handful of games between them in the last year.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    sm said:
    1StevieG said:
    I feel gutted tbh from what I saw yesterday. 

The new boys didn't cut the mustard and the debacle of the pivotal centre back position with O'Connell gone, Inniss out already and others who have a tiny handful of games behind them to cover ... I reckon we could be left wide open.

I thought Fleetwood's first goal was a cracking shot, but should have been saved.  Rooney was what 24 yards out, and the ball passed MB within an arm stretch .  As for the second goal - a picture tells a thousand words.  

The other thing that grieves me is the way that football is played in League One.  Most weeks a team (including us) will seek to disrupt the game, time waste, feign injury and use general gamesmanship.  Yeah it may get you over the line to victory, but my god it does the profession no good whatsoever.  It's too late for me as I am serving a life sentence, but if I were a casual observer or new supporter I'd be hard pressed to go again to witness that.  

Phew, I need a lie down  :/

Some of the time wasting from the oppo feigning injury got right on my tits. Embarrassing as a football fan watching some of that including Penneys ridiculous fall to the floor in the penalty area.
    The time wasting could be dealt with very easily if the referees produced a yellow card at the first sign of it occuring rather than waiting to the last few minutes.  Additional time like at the start of the World Cup would also have the desired effect - but meanwhile the EFL will sit back while the paying fans are literally being robbed.

Agree in principal, but let's be honest, we could have had another hour extra time and still not scored, we were dire...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    The vibes put out by the team and their body language was all wrong yesterday from the warm up onwards and our old friend Boyesen and Fleetwood Town (is time wasting now the main sport in Lancashire? ) were only too happy to help as well.  It must be a combination of the takeover and the shipping out of the players - and the onus must now be on TS to give the players and fans a little certainty and heaven forbid a bit of joy in our lives. If he has any sense he will study history and understand Charlton fans don't take being annoyed very quietly.  I am not sure what is the most suitable form of protest for TS, perhaps we could start by booing down his execrable Addicts to Victory track?
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A really dispiriting afternoon to puncture the feel good factor after 4 wins in 5. Fleetwood came with a very clear game plan and executed it extremely well, although we always seem to struggle against teams who sit deep and get lots of men behind the ball. The absence of Leaburn was a major blow and, as a result, we lacked any semblance of a threat through the centre.

It was garbage for the most part, with Bonne and Penney particularly hopeless. The only positives were JRS's lovely goal - which was completely out of keeping with the general dross - and getting Aneke and Sessegnon back on the pitch for the last half hour - not that either are likely to be fit enough to start on Tuesday. 

It's vital that we get a positive result against Forest Green, as the following four games are really tough and we don't want to find ourselves being dragged back down towards the lower reaches of the table. The squad is paper thin with the current crop of injuries (and Inniss' likely suspension) and, following O'Connell's sale, we just have to hope that Hector and/or Thomas can step up to the plate and stay injury free, despite only having played a handful of games between them in the last year.
    From what I have seen this season Mitchell is way better than Thomas.  
  • Options

Our best player is a loan who is gone next season, none of them are near his level upfront I'm afraid to say. 
    Not only is he our best player he is also our top goal scorer. In the summer, not only do we need to replace him with a decent winger/wide man, we need to bring in a goalscorer or 2. Something we've failed to do in the last 2 transfer windows. Fail to being in at least 1 prolific forward will mean flirting with relegation again. Next season could see us fall through the trap door 
  • Options
    I don’t think he does get the ball, if he did it would be flying towards the touch line for a throw in, instead it’s trajectory hardly changes. Never a red though. 
    He either got the ball or their player kicked it out for a goal kick, which seems less likely. Even a streetwise team like Fleetwood weren’t appealing for a red. 
  • Options
    Awful performance. To add to other criticisms, Fleetwood going forward put the ball into our area fairly well. Charlton going forward were painful. We got in the same positions and every occasion we found a new way to be useless. Cross the ball into a nearby defender, pass back and forwards until all the options have gone, or a couple of times where we were in a position to cross and there was only one Charlton shirt in the area. 
    Vintage Charlton for this season.
  • Options

Our best player is a loan who is gone next season, none of them are near his level upfront I'm afraid to say. 
    Not only is he our best player he is also our top goal scorer. In the summer, not only do we need to replace him with a decent winger/wide man, we need to bring in a goalscorer or 2. Something we've failed to do in the last 2 transfer windows. Fail to being in at least 1 prolific forward will mean flirting with relegation again. Next season could see us fall through the trap door 
    I don't think RS will be missed as a winger, more for his goals. He can be a frustrating player to watch with little or no return however no getting away from the fact his goals have been important.