Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National 3pm alarm/test

Comments

• Options
    Nothing received by me, the wife or my son. All with id Mobile, so through the Three network.
    Hmm, we're with id mobile.
  • Options
    I didn’t get it, the wife did. Was expecting it to be louder. 
  • Options
    Yes, seemed pretty loud.
  • Options
    Got mine at 3. Annoying screeching sound, followed by quite soft audible message
  • Options
    Are they expecting every bout of bad weather, flood, Chinese / Ruskie missile etc. to happen at 3pm on a Sunday then?
  • Options
    Was on a busy train at the time, was quite funny. Everyone received it at 2.59
  • Options
    I’d turned the alert off, so was quite pleased with myself, until I realized my son and wife, hadn’t turned their alerts off, I was in the middle of it, scared the absolute life out of me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were in the garden centre. Lots of phones went off. I couldn’t check mine as I’m on crutches but I think I felt a mild buzzing in my pocket (go on fill yer boots….).  Nothing on my phone when we got home. 
  • Options
    How have I managed all my life without this alert. 
  • Options
    People seem to think this strange. But did they not test the air raid sirens until the 1960`s. There was one in White Hard road on a tall mast if my memory  serves,
  • Options
    Mine’s just gone off at 4.14. Mind you, it’s being relayed by CAFC TV and there’s always a bit of lag.
  • Options
    Right. No conspiracy theory here but why ? What’s the purpose of this. Don’t buy into flood warnings. Anywhere prone to flood will have looked out of the window and will have had a few days of rain swelling the rivers. They would be only too aware of the issue. Terrorist alerts would be minutely localised and if suddenly a small area of a busy city all got told that there was a terrorist attack imminent or happening it would create panic. The only conceivable use I can see would be for a nuclear attack which frankly is pretty pointless I’d suggest. What action could you possibly take in the few minutes the warning would give that would help in any way. My guess and I’ve probably missed lots of reasons is that it’s the latter. Nuclear attack but given what’s going on with Russia the government can’t actually call it that. Perhaps five years ago it might have had that luxury. What am I missing ? 
  • Options
    Just wondering if we’ll get one of these alerts from Charlton, when / if a takeover goes through.
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    Do you know some Govt secret and were about to tell us in morse code but changed your mind?
  • Options
    Right. No conspiracy theory here but why ? What’s the purpose of this. Don’t buy into flood warnings. Anywhere prone to flood will have looked out of the window and will have had a few days of rain swelling the rivers. They would be only too aware of the issue. Terrorist alerts would be minutely localised and if suddenly a small area of a busy city all got told that there was a terrorist attack imminent or happening it would create panic. The only conceivable use I can see would be for a nuclear attack which frankly is pretty pointless I’d suggest. What action could you possibly take in the few minutes the warning would give that would help in any way. My guess and I’ve probably missed lots of reasons is that it’s the latter. Nuclear attack but given what’s going on with Russia the government can’t actually call it that. Perhaps five years ago it might have had that luxury. What am I missing ? 
    No one should be denied the fundamental human right of having the chance to kiss your arse goodbye. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I assume it’s the Russia situation too. The cynic in me thinks it’s the current governments agenda of trying to keep people thinking about the remote chance of it happening.

Personally, I was quite surprised to hear that this is a “new” initiative. I assumed this had been in place for years.

If it’s something so important and necessary, then I’d expect it should be tested fairly regularly (ie - every 1 or 2 years).
  • Options
    edited April 2023

• Options
    Would it have been more useful to have been around during COVID to warn everyone of lockdowns etc.?
  • Options
    I think it is more for local use - could be something like ‘unexplored wartime ordnance has been found in this area, please evacuate this vicinity’ or ‘please stay away from such and such area due to an ongoing incident’
  • Options
    Wife, mother-in-law, and myself did not receive an alert. Be interesting to see any review of the success or otherwise of this test exercise 
  • Options
    Got mine but didn't actually see it till an hour after due to not having my phone on me. Gave me the option to turn it off which I did. 

We got messages at the start of COVID. So why are they bothering with this? Another government contract given to a luvvie of theirs possibly? 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    msomerton said:
    People seem to think this strange. But did they not test the air raid sirens until the 1960`s. There was one in White Hard road on a tall mast if my memory  serves,
    Absolutely.  I grew up on Hants/Berks/Surrey border and I can remember the Monday 10am test of the Broadmoor siren (as well as it going off for real….)  ps - I don’t know @SurreyHeathAddick 😉
  • Options
    My son said to me the thing about Russia, my other son said can they rip info from your phone?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think it is more for local use - could be something like ‘unexplored wartime ordnance has been found in this area, please evacuate this vicinity’ or ‘please stay away from such and such area due to an ongoing incident’
    Also things like a chemical leak