Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National 3pm alarm/test

Comments

• Options
    I have a 6 year old iPhone 7 and I received the alert 
    Get with the modern world, grandad.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    No no no, you have misunderstood.  It was test.  It  was supposed to be like this.  :smile:

Having said that I can see that Jacob Rees Mugg is opposed to the scheme so is it too late to say that I consider that we need to give it time, this was only the first stage and all the naysayers need to calm down?

• Options
    No no no, you have misunderstood.  It was test.  It  was supposed to be like this.  :smile:

Having said that I can see that Jacob Rees Mugg is opposed to the scheme so is it too late to say that I consider that we need to give it time, this was only the first stage and all the naysayers need to calm down?

No no no, it wasn't supposed to be like this, but that is what testing is for...The test wasn't put in place to go "right" or "wrong", the test was put in place to highlight what needs to be done to make it work fully. That is the purpose of testing......
  • Options

No no no, it wasn't supposed to be like this, but that is what testing is for...The test wasn't put in place to go "right" or "wrong", the test was put in place to highlight what needs to be done to make it work fully. That is the purpose of testing......
    What Sporadic has said numerous times, this was useful not does for the team who built this, but also the networks. Other countries who have these systems do an annual test. I think the Dutch do it monthly. 

As for Rees Mugg, he was the Cabinet Office minister who signed this off to be built 
  • Options
    This is why I'm glad I have no political side

I feel it gives me more of an open mind for things like this.

If your a labour voter you think this is horrendous because the tories are in power but if it was the other way round it would be the same.

Whereas someone like me can see it for what it really is without bringing the politics into it because that stuff doesnt affect my judgement 

Tue people now saying oh the government messed it up because it went wrong are the same people that if they didn't test it and needed it and just rolled it out in an emergency and it went wrong would be saying well why didn't they test it first.

What test goes 100% well first time with no issues, now they can work with 3 to solve any issues ahead of it being needed in an emergency(which hopefully it isn't)
  • Options
    edited April 2023

If your a labour voter you think this is horrendous because the tories are in power but if it was the other way round it would be the same.

Whereas someone like me can see it for what it really is without bringing the politics into it because that stuff doesnt affect my judgement 

Tue people now saying oh the government messed it up because it went wrong are the same people that if they didn't test it and needed it and just rolled it out in an emergency and it went wrong would be saying well why didn't they test it first.

What test goes 100% well first time with no issues, now they can work with 3 to solve any issues ahead of it being needed in an emergency(which hopefully it isn't)

Well I too have no loyalty to any of the Westminster parties (I loathe all of the preening narcissists equally) so, on your logic, someone like me can also see it for what it really is.

Like most things this and every Government of the last 30 years has inaugurated, a giant waste of money and botched at the point of delivery.

• Options

Tory
  • Options
    There are many sticks with which to beat this Government, but I don't understand the outcry from some at this test. Many countries have warning systems like this and much better to have it, than not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard this was going to be happening a couple of months ago, so I disabled it. I can't imagine anything the Govt could warn me of that would need immediate attention.

• Options
    I heard this was going to be happening a couple of months ago, so I disabled it. I can't imagine anything the Govt could warn me of that would need immediate attention.

Terrorists shooting and stabbing people half a mile from where you are walking with your kids? 
  • Options

Terrorists shooting and stabbing people half a mile from where you are walking with your kids? 
    A bomb in the venue you are in?
  • Options
    I expect the test was being co-ordinated by the relevant minister's mate down the pub.
    If you didn’t receive the message, you need to find the pub and slip the bloke a tenner. 
    Sorted.
  • Options

It was the Daily Mail that was kicking off about this the most last week. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It was the Daily Mail that was kicking off about this the most last week. 
    Lefties
  • Options
    On balance, I'm glad the Tories ran this test. If we think some of the tabloids have gone a bit paranoid about it, just imagine what those same papers would have been like if it was a Labour government testing this system.
    To be fair, had it been a Labour government then the messages would have been more along the lines of "well, it was a test after all and was likely to show some teething problems. I'm sure it'll get there in time. Still a worthwhile exercise".

Because it's a Tory rollout, usually mild mannered people are frothing at the mouth and going all swivel eyed over it  :D

I read a cracking article in the guardian that was seeking opinions of people on this a couple days before the test. 

Some people were furious at the government because people with autism would be triggered, someone was suggesting they had epilepsy and might have a fit. That then moved onto someone criticising them saying this is "long overdue." 

They've got all the bases covered to be fair!
  • Options

He's probably just upset that they don't send the alerts by telegram.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The potential threat of nuclear war is alarming enough in itself, but what about the potential danger of its bedfellow, biological warfare?
    Worry not, SIGMA, Sensing Airborne Hazards, has it covered.

https://youtu.be/qevnFqzj6jA

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023

A bomb in the venue you are in?
    A warning that Charlton are playing nearby, so avoid the area as they are likely to stink the place out?
  • Options
    Making my phone buzz, to warn me of a nuclear attack is very cute, hopefully itl give me enough warning to spend the following decade under the dining room table hiding from the radiation. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Making my phone buzz, to warn me of a nuclear attack is very cute, hopefully itl give me enough warning to spend the following decade under the dining room table hiding from the radiation. 
    Drop me a DM, mate, and I'll knock a few of these up for you. Don't worry about kids, they're expendable.

Coronavirus Grandparents in DIY hazmats hug granddaughter  UK News  Sky  News
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    It amazes me that people's natural survival instinct means they instantly think they WANT to survive a nuclear attack.

They should watch The Road. That will change their minds.

If we ever get a 10 minute warning, or whatever, then I'll be doing all I can to make sure I get as close to the expected blast as possible. Goodnight Vienna!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    It amazes me that people's natural survival instinct means they instantly think they WANT to survive a nuclear attack.

If we ever get a 10 minute warning, or whatever, then I'll be doing all I can to make sure I get as close to the expected blast as possible. Goodnight Vienna!
    Love a bit of Ultravox.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Off_it said:

Exactly this... also don't warn me that I'm about to be vaporised. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Drop me a DM, mate, and I'll knock a few of these up for you. Don't worry about kids, they're expendable.

Coronavirus Grandparents in DIY hazmats hug granddaughter  UK News  Sky  News
    Perfect, I can wear it for covid 20 also 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

the living will envy the dead. 

Was reading this book, https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/441070/attack-warning-red-by-mcdowall-julie/9781847926210 and there is no upside of surviving, If you want it bleaker, go watch Threads. 
  • Options
    If the rumours are anywhere near true that Fulitsu/infosys got the contract for this then we should be outraged. No smoke etc I say.