Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National 3pm alarm/test

Comments

• Options
    Some people were saying that after the NATO head said the other day that they are going to accept Ukraine into the organisation, this summer, I believe, that the alert is timely in case Russia decides to launch an attack on the UK.
    Personally, I think it's been planned for local flooding or some such local incident.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think it is more for local use - could be something like ‘unexplored wartime ordnance has been found in this area, please evacuate this vicinity’ or ‘please stay away from such and such area due to an ongoing incident’
    Also things like a chemical leak
    Or attack.
  • Options
    they say its about flooding or some other localised disaster which kind of makes sense. 
     a Nuke attack i just don't see the point. How many have a nuclear bunker withing two to three minutes of them? 
    It just seems like a waste of time/money and yet another thing that can be hacked by someone/state.  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    ID Mobile
    We understand that some customers didn't receive the Emergency Alerts test message as anticipated. But don't worry! This was simply a test to identify any issues, and we're working with the appropriate government agencies to guarantee the system works seamlessly in future. Thanks
  • Options
    Anyway 

was at a kids football party and several people got the alert at 2:58 or 2:59. 
    One person got theirs at 3:00 and about a third of people didn’t get anything. 

Me and my son are on 3 network and didn’t get one 
  • Options
    The system has been ready to go for a year, but wasn’t tested last year for reasons around Ukraine. There was an issue today with Three, it’s an issue with the way Three transmit the alert, which can be fixed 
  • Options
    Nothing received.

Clearly I'm classed as a trouble maker, and will be left to be drowned / burnt / frozen / transported by a tornado to the next county (delete as appropriate)
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea, better to have it than not. It can be used in specific areas to warn of floods, wild fires etc.

Probably not much use for a nuclear attack, as there's not a lot you can do about it, as we don't have many shelters.
  • Options
    We’re one of the few developed countries that doesn’t a system, and we’re too reliant on sending SMS for stuff like flood alerts where you can’t get 100% coverage in an area and for other emergency situations, say a terrorist incident. It was pretty pathetic that the ‘stay home’ text at the start of lockdown, took 4 days to slowly send via sms, when other countries hit one bottom and dropped an alert.

yes it does have 4 minute warning capabilities, but we used to air raid sirens connected to the old HANDLE network for when the nukes went off

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think it is more for local use - could be something like ‘unexplored wartime ordnance has been found in this area, please evacuate this vicinity’ or ‘please stay away from such and such area due to an ongoing incident’
    Would this system be that capable of notifying a particular half mile radius. ? What about people not inside that area and are traveling into it. I doubt it’s even that smart to be able to achieve that level. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Would this system be that capable of notifying a particular half mile radius. ? What about people not inside that area and are traveling into it. I doubt it’s even that smart to be able to achieve that level. 
    It is it can broadcast to pretty narrow areas, a lot of design has been done with the Environment Agency to provide coverage in flood zone areas (they are pre defined already and can be picked from
    a drop down) and there is the National broadcast like today.

as for those travelling in, the message broadcasts for 20 minutes at a time, so there is a chance, but if the Thames has burst it banks at say, Canvey, you wouldn’t be driving into the area anyway 
  • Options
    Some people were saying that after the NATO head said the other day that they are going to accept Ukraine into the organisation, this summer, I believe, that the alert is timely in case Russia decides to launch an attack on the UK.
    Personally, I think it's been planned for local flooding or some such local incident.
    Think about local flooding. That’s going to occur in areas prone to flooding where it’s been raining for a few days and rivers are rising. Everyone in that area will exactly know the risks and when from previous experiences. Will be interesting to see what local incidents this gets used for. I’ll admit they will use it to alert flooding but it will be pointless.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Right. No conspiracy theory here but why ? What’s the purpose of this. Don’t buy into flood warnings. Anywhere prone to flood will have looked out of the window and will have had a few days of rain swelling the rivers. They would be only too aware of the issue. Terrorist alerts would be minutely localised and if suddenly a small area of a busy city all got told that there was a terrorist attack imminent or happening it would create panic. The only conceivable use I can see would be for a nuclear attack which frankly is pretty pointless I’d suggest. What action could you possibly take in the few minutes the warning would give that would help in any way. My guess and I’ve probably missed lots of reasons is that it’s the latter. Nuclear attack but given what’s going on with Russia the government can’t actually call it that. Perhaps five years ago it might have had that luxury. What am I missing ? 

Why you ask

Did people ask why when air raid sirens happened during previous wars?

I have said this before all this is is a modern version of the air raid siren updated for 2023 which will also alert for things like flooding(which is increasingly due to global warming) and terrorists incidents(which they didn't really need to worry about 70 years ago 

There is nothing sinister in it and the government don't send the notifications to your phone so don't have access to your phones like people think

They send the notifications to the phone supplies who then send it to the phones.

People don't moan when they get texts from their phone suppliers saying there bill is due 🤣🤣 those come more frequently than these alerts will

I personally have no issues with it and I'm glad that if or when Putin attacks or some terrorists plans an attack on London i can get to safety before i get caught up in something 

They were not Shooter's points.

Of course nobody complained about air raid sirens in the war - we were actively engaged in an armed conflict and the enemy were bombing on a daily basis.

Shooters didn't say it was anything sinister or the government ripping data from phones - just difficult to fathom out what use it would be. For conventional attacks perhaps, there is a chance of getting to a shelter, but a three minute (or less) warning is about as much use as a chocolate teapot if nuclear missiles are inbound.

Terrorist attacks are localised, as are floods. If the system can just send a warning to specific cells in the mobile network then it could be useful - but a nationwide alert system is pointless if the Rivers Severn and Avon are flooding at Tewksbury!
  • Options
    Just to say again, it has national capabilities, but is very much built around being cell specific to an area. Say an incident in Leicester Sq, you can hit the cells within 500m and alert people to take shelter etc 
  • Options
    So if Charlton get near the goal, we can all get an alert to wake us up. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Just to say again, it has national capabilities, but is very much built around being cell specific to an area. Say an incident in Leicester Sq, you can hit the cells within 500m and alert people to take shelter etc 
    And create massive panic in a densely occupied area. That’s not what the police generally advocate. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    bobmunro said:
    Right. No conspiracy theory here but why ? What’s the purpose of this. Don’t buy into flood warnings. Anywhere prone to flood will have looked out of the window and will have had a few days of rain swelling the rivers. They would be only too aware of the issue. Terrorist alerts would be minutely localised and if suddenly a small area of a busy city all got told that there was a terrorist attack imminent or happening it would create panic. The only conceivable use I can see would be for a nuclear attack which frankly is pretty pointless I’d suggest. What action could you possibly take in the few minutes the warning would give that would help in any way. My guess and I’ve probably missed lots of reasons is that it’s the latter. Nuclear attack but given what’s going on with Russia the government can’t actually call it that. Perhaps five years ago it might have had that luxury. What am I missing ? 

Why you ask

Did people ask why when air raid sirens happened during previous wars?

I have said this before all this is is a modern version of the air raid siren updated for 2023 which will also alert for things like flooding(which is increasingly due to global warming) and terrorists incidents(which they didn't really need to worry about 70 years ago 

There is nothing sinister in it and the government don't send the notifications to your phone so don't have access to your phones like people think

They send the notifications to the phone supplies who then send it to the phones.

People don't moan when they get texts from their phone suppliers saying there bill is due 🤣🤣 those come more frequently than these alerts will

I personally have no issues with it and I'm glad that if or when Putin attacks or some terrorists plans an attack on London i can get to safety before i get caught up in something 

They were not Shooter's points.

Of course nobody complained about air raid sirens in the war - we were actively engaged in an armed conflict and the enemy were bombing on a daily basis.

Shooters didn't say it was anything sinister or the government ripping data from phones - just difficult to fathom out what use it would be. For conventional attacks perhaps, there is a chance of getting to a shelter, but a three minute (or less) warning is about as much use as a chocolate teapot if nuclear missiles are inbound.

Terrorist attacks are localised, as are floods. If the system can just send a warning to specific cells in the mobile network then it could be useful - but a nationwide alert system is pointless if the Rivers Severn and Avon are flooding at Tewksbury!
    Right

The question was why and i explained why

If you read what the government say future alerts will be localised 

Yes terrorist attacks are localised but today was just a test

Any further alert will be localised if needed.

So I dont see the issue, if it doesn't affect your area you won't get the alert.

If it does affect your area you will
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    And create massive panic in a densely occupied area. That’s not what the police generally advocate. 
    You’ll have to ask the emergency services what’s better, getting people to hunker down or wander around during an incident. This hasn’t been built on a whim to scare people
  • Options
    I’ll stick my neck out and say that apart from flooding (where everyone will already know) this won’t get used. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad they have involved the Environment Agency, the same Environment agency that only just last week went on strike because they are severely over stretched because of huge cutbacks in the last decade. over half the budget has gone but fortunately we have a text message telling us where they were unable to stem the tide.. 
  • Options
    Glad they have involved the Environment Agency, the same Environment agency that only just last week went on strike because they are severely over stretched because of huge cutbacks in the last decade. over half the budget has gone but fortunately we have a text message telling us where they were unable to stem the tide.. 
    EA aren’t paying for this.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I imagine the police and security services have had input into this. 
  • Options
    Wildfires and floods the obvious risks but as the gov.uk site says there's an ever increasing range of threats-https://www.gov.uk/government/news/launch-of-life-saving-public-emergency-alerts

Wildfires were especially scary last year. The good people of Wennington were caught out. According to a fireman friend one of the worse part was pets trapped in gardens that they couldnt reach. (Not that they will carry a mobile phone but their owners would and could have benefitted from some advice to get pets out of gardens).

Also it points out this which I had not realised:

"This year is the 70th anniversary of the 1953 east coast surge, one of the worst flood events in our recent history which saw over 300 people perish in England - while our ability to warn and inform has come on leaps and bounds since then, Emergency Alerts is a fantastic addition to our toolbox that we can use in emergency situations."
  • Options

From gov.uk 

You may get alerts about:

• severe flooding
    • fires
    • extreme weather 

Emergency alerts will only be sent by:

• the emergency services
    • government departments, agencies and public bodies that deal with emergencies 
    Seems pretty straightforward, understandable and reasonable to me.  If you're in an area that is dangerous because of flooding, fires or extreme weather, it's better to be forewarned than not. 

I get that some people in areas liable to flooding may have the intelligence to monitor the weather for days on end and be thoroughly prepared for extreme flooding before it takes place.  But recent times have shown us that high levels of intelligence aren't universal or evenly spread across the country.  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Rothko said:
    EA aren’t paying for this.
    not saying they are but why not try to be proactive against flooding for example rather than just letting people know yeah its gonna flood and at least we can now warn you of that. brilliant when your house is under water. Global warming aint going away yet our goverment feels the need to 'wash' away the people who would/should provide some defence against it. 

edit: not the thread for this. sorry. 
  • Options
    Something I didn't realise until after was that it doesn't work on 2G or 3G phones. Apparently that's why my phone went off but my mum's didn't. It's supposed to work on all the 4G networks but from what I've heard very few people on 3 got it for some technical reason.

If they're going to have a system, it's probably a good idea if it works, so testing it and finding out which networks it works on seems like a decent idea. And I now know that this system exists, which I didn't a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:
    I got one. Do you have an old mobile?
    5 years old, but it is Chinese (Huawei).
    Not daft, the Chinese.  They’re hardly going to let you have a warning that they’ve just invaded!! 🤷🏻‍♂️😉