Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National 3pm alarm/test

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Nothing. Apparently not working on 3. Who would have thought this government could spend millions on a public safety initiative that doesn't work?
    But it did work, just not on 3, which I’d imagine is an issue with 3. That’s why it is being tested….
    My partner got it 15 minutes late on o2, her Dad never got it. (also o2)

Both had the alerts active.

• Options
    The software ran, three got the message, they seem to have only sent it once, and not repeatedly for 20 minutes to ensure that it gets through. 
  • Options
    Something I didn't realise until after was that it doesn't work on 2G or 3G phones. Apparently that's why my phone went off but my mum's didn't. It's supposed to work on all the 4G networks but from what I've heard very few people on 3 got it for some technical reason.

If they're going to have a system, it's probably a good idea if it works, so testing it and finding out which networks it works on seems like a decent idea. And I now know that this system exists, which I didn't a couple of weeks ago.
    It also requires fairly up to date operating systems as well, iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later and Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later.
  • Options
    No one in my household got it. New iPhone all up to date etc. Could be something to do with me living in Plymouth, we’ll probably get it sometime next week… 😂
  • Options
    My personal and work phone got it 
    my mrs work phone only her personal didn’t apparently something to do with her being on the 3 network 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I think it is more for local use - could be something like ‘unexplored wartime ordnance has been found in this area, please evacuate this vicinity’ or ‘please stay away from such and such area due to an ongoing incident’
    Would this system be that capable of notifying a particular half mile radius. ? What about people not inside that area and are traveling into it. I doubt it’s even that smart to be able to achieve that level. 
    It is it can broadcast to pretty narrow areas, a lot of design has been done with the Environment Agency to provide coverage in flood zone areas (they are pre defined already and can be picked from
    a drop down) and there is the National broadcast like today.

as for those travelling in, the message broadcasts for 20 minutes at a time, so there is a chance, but if the Thames has burst it banks at say, Canvey, you wouldn’t be driving into the area anyway 
    Unless you are on the Three network it seems 😆
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    my iphone got it, but my work (Samsung) didn't - same network O2
  • Options
    It’s surprised me how big a deal this alert has  become. It was front page news on one of the nationals last week (Daily Mail, waging some bizarre hate campaign against it) and BBC News this morning were carrying it as a main headline. 
  • Options
    Would it be better to know you’re about to be vaporised in a nuclear attack 30 seconds later, or not know?
    It all reminds me of the millennium bug thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    seth plum said:
    Would it be better to know you’re about to be vaporised in a nuclear attack 30 seconds later, or not know?
    Not know, definitely . 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Not know, definitely . 
    I think everyone else running around screaming will be a give away.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Not know, definitely . 
    The best course of action would be to switch to the 3 network.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It’s surprised me how big a deal this alert has  become. It was front page news on one of the nationals last week (Daily Mail, waging some bizarre hate campaign against it) and BBC News this morning were carrying it as a main headline. 
    People like to make a mountain out of a molehill, just look at some of the comments above 
  • Options
    I opted out of it. Anything this shower of shit tell me to do I won’t. Do t trust my of them. I also hate I phones and can’t wait to retire and drop kick mine over a wall. 

There is literally nothing this will be of any use for to me.
  • Options
    I opted out of it. Anything this shower of shit tell me to do I won’t. Do t trust my of them. I also hate I phones and can’t wait to retire and drop kick mine over a wall. 

There is literally nothing this will be of any use for to me.
    Genuine question because I don't understand this mentality when you say anything this shower of shit tell you to do you wont dd and you do trust them so you opted out.

But what don't you trust?

As I said before the government only send the message to the phone companies who then send it to the phones, so its not like at any point the government have an access to phones and is no different than your phone supplier sending you your monthly bill text.

Also you say its not any use for you, as far as I'm aware countries like Russia don't care about times so what happens if its 2am and the Government find out Putin has had enough and wants to start dropping bombs, a quick alert can wake people and warn them to get to somewhere safe(extreme i know) but just an example for people who say its no use to me i can look out the  window and see what's going on, well if your asleep and there is an emergency you can't 

As I say i just don't understand the mentality of switching it off, leaving it on isn't going to effect your life in anyway, its only going to be used for emergencies and could help save your life
  • Options
    I don’t trust the government. They are lying self serving twats. End of.

and if a nuclear bomb-is on its way we’re toast anyway. Or will we have enough time to put a white sheet on the window and get under a table😂😂😂

Also I know that Russia is the latest bogey man but I do t care about that either. 

Other than that what could possibly interest me from those Tory twats? A flood😂. A fire😂 extreme fucking weather😂

And we need a government alarm for that? Do me a favour.

• Options
    Something I didn't realise until after was that it doesn't work on 2G or 3G phones. Apparently that's why my phone went off but my mum's didn't. It's supposed to work on all the 4G networks but from what I've heard very few people on 3 got it for some technical reason.

If they're going to have a system, it's probably a good idea if it works, so testing it and finding out which networks it works on seems like a decent idea. And I now know that this system exists, which I didn't a couple of weeks ago.
    It also requires fairly up to date operating systems as well, iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later and Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later.
    The idea of having minimum specs to receive the alert is ludicrous.  A National warning/alert system has to be capable of received by anyone.

But I would say that as I'm using an Android 10 phone and I am utterly devastated that I didn't get an alert message yesterday. 

It is amazing that Government can limit essential messaging only to those phones and tablets less than 3 years old.
  • Options
    Russia start dropping bombs at 2am and the government wake you up to get somewhere safe 🤣 like where, the garden shed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I forgot all about it.

I was in secluded cemetery paying my respect for the dead. I shit my pants when it went off......
    Good thing the alarm wasnt a constant voice going: "Help, Help, Help" then
  • Options
    Nothing. Apparently not working on 3. Who would have thought this government could spend millions on a public safety initiative that doesn't work?
    But it did work, just not on 3, which I’d imagine is an issue with 3. That’s why it is being tested….
    You'd have thought they might have checked with the main service providers first.
    What, through some sort of “test”?
    This test was the rollout. Presumably there was some work done in preparation or do you think they just pinged it out and trusted to luck?
    So you don’t think they “checked with the main service providers first”?

Do you think they are sitting in Whitehall tonight saying

“I thought you were talking to 3”

“no I thought you were doing that”

”no it was definitely you, I had A to M and you had N to Z”

”I think I see what has happened here…”.
    Funny man  ;)
  • Options

The idea of having minimum specs to receive the alert is ludicrous.  A National warning/alert system has to be capable of received by anyone.

But I would say that as I'm using an Android 10 phone and I am utterly devastated that I didn't get an alert message yesterday. 

It is amazing that Government can limit essential messaging only to those phones and tablets less than 3 years old.
    My phone's more than 3 years old, which is pretty elderly by modern standards, and I received the alert. And even if it was limited to devices under 3 years old now, that's devices up to 5 years old in a couple of years time. 
  • Options
    On balance, I'm glad the Tories ran this test. If we think some of the tabloids have gone a bit paranoid about it, just imagine what those same papers would have been like if it was a Labour government testing this system.
  • Options
    I have a 6 year old iPhone 7 and I received the alert 
  • Options
    Russia start dropping bombs at 2am and the government wake you up to get somewhere safe 🤣 like where, the garden shed?
    But it does matter if the Environment Agency move you from a flood alert to a Flood warning at 2am, and they need you out of the area before the river banks burst. 

As for phones, you can receive alerts on a 2014 iPhone 6, so make sure you update the software 
  • Options
    On balance, I'm glad the Tories ran this test. If we think some of the tabloids have gone a bit paranoid about it, just imagine what those same papers would have been like if it was a Labour government testing this system.
    Spot on.

I just hope if a nuclear bomb tries to cross the channel they send it to Rwanda. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    But it does matter if the Environment Agency move you from a flood alert to a Flood warning at 2am, and they need you out of the area before the river banks burst. 

As for phones, you can receive alerts on a 2014 iPhone 6, so make sure you update the software 
    I'm sure I'll be ok. I've survived 36 years with no problems. I live on a street with hundreds of others. I'm sure the commotion would wake me up outside if my wife's phone doesn't.