Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Tunnecliffe I think would be an upgrade on what we had last season in the middle of the park. I would certainly welcome the signing if true! 
    Why do you think this? If true, I hope you’re right, but seems to me to be a player on a downward trajectory. If genuinely better than what we have, why has he been released from Portsmouth? Their team were very much on a par with us last year.
    Did you watch our midfield last year??
    Yep, every game. And in my opinion our midfield of CBT/Dobson/Fraser/JRS was better than Portsmouth’s. Pompy had a better defence, generally more consistent keeper and a more threatening front line but their midfield was a weak link in their squad. So I go back to my point about whether or not a midfielder who was released by them would improve our team. If he’s just coming as back up to Dobson, then so be it but I’d still rather see McGrandles given a chance.
    CBT and JRS are not midfielders, they are wide forwards.. when you say midfield it is central midfielders
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    I know I’m in the minority, but I do think Dobson is a problem and not the answer, needs something else there
    Similar to Semedo.
    Yeah, in lots of ways. I’ve said it before, watching Dobson at Ipswich was the moment I changed to being a bit down on him 
    Bit harsh to judge him on that. Our season was over and we were woeful, Ipswich were on a charge going for automatic promotion and apart from Man City were probably the most in form team in the country at the time.
  • What’s with this downer on Dobson all of a sudden, so he’s not perfect, who is?
    Very important and a must in our midfield…
    Personally, I am a big fan of Dobson, and was one that said he should be in the side when he was out of it under Adkins. But look at his career, he has only ever been a mid-lower table league one footballer. Dobson is good for us, but certainly better out there, if we can find them and bring them to the club.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    What’s with this downer on Dobson all of a sudden, so he’s not perfect, who is?
    Very important and a must in our midfield…
    Personally, I am a big fan of Dobson, and was one that said he should be in the side when he was out of it under Adkins. But look at his career, he has only ever been a mid-lower table league one footballer. Dobson is good for us, but certainly better out there, if we can find them and bring them to the club.

George Dobson has had two good seasons in a mid Table League 1 side. He has played 83 League matches which shows how good his fitness is in a Charlton side which struggles to get players who can play 2 or 3 games in a row or have the Jonny Williams 60 minute battery.

The truth is every single player at Cafc at present could be replaced with better. We are stuck in mediocrity but Dobson could be 1/11th of a team that are top 6 in League 1

Our problem now is finding the other 10 that fits the criteria of being top 6 !

Leaburn and Ness have potential to keep on improving but both need some quality around then who are good team players plus a couple of X factor players.
  • Exactly. We need some players who can make something out of nothing at the right end of the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think that "X Factor" type player that can produce similar goals and assists to what we got from JRS is going to be absolutely key. Whether it's another winger or a strike partner for Leaburn remains to be seen of course. 
  • Ladapo is pretty inconsistent and now 30. But once again, in improvement if we continue to replace dross like Bonne.
  • Scoham said:
    Cawley not confirming or denying interest in Ladapo.

That reads like he (RC) has heard something but not had a concrete link yet. Not ruling it out but far from definitive...
  • Freddie Ladapo, would be a good signing in the sense that he is athletic and can run in behind which would not only work well with the central striker Leaburn but surely at 30 he can pass on vital experience to the young Daniel Kanu at Sparrows lane and on Match days.

🤞For this to come to fruition.
  • Ladapo is a one in three striker at our level so is exactly what we’re looking for. Probably nearing the end of his best years but would certainly give us a top six look about us. Not been at Ipswich long so hardly settled in the area. If Ipswich are open to letting him go after such a short and relatively short but successful period I wonder why ? Also think his wages might be a stumbling block here. If we were in for him before but we’re beaten to his signature by Ipswich then he’ll be on pretty decent money. I also expect they’ll be looking for a fee not loan. I rate this one at much less than 50/50
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    I know I’m in the minority, but I do think Dobson is a problem and not the answer, needs something else there
    Similar to Semedo.
    Yeah, in lots of ways. I’ve said it before, watching Dobson at Ipswich was the moment I changed to being a bit down on him 
    Bit harsh to judge him on that. Our season was over and we were woeful, Ipswich were on a charge going for automatic promotion and apart from Man City were probably the most in form team in the country at the time.
    Maybe, but it was also, what good looks like, in League 1, and I need convincing he could do what Morsy or Luongo do in that midfield 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Similar to Semedo.
    To be fair the whole team needed to take a good look at themselves after that one. Probably you would want a captain to stand up in a dire performance like that, but I don’t think even Roy Keane would have been able to rouse the shower of shit we had on display that day. 

Dobson is the least of our worries imo.
  • Ladapo is a one in three striker at our level so is exactly what we’re looking for. Probably nearing the end of his best years but would certainly give us a top six look about us. Not been at Ipswich long so hardly settled in the area. If Ipswich are open to letting him go after such a short and relatively short but successful period I wonder why ? Also think his wages might be a stumbling block here. If we were in for him before but we’re beaten to his signature by Ipswich then he’ll be on pretty decent money. I also expect they’ll be looking for a fee not loan. I rate this one at much less than 50/50

He was an irregular starter in the second half of the season for them when they really got into their stride.  Their fans generally don't see him stepping up.  I think he would be a decent signing but one Derby will look at too I suspect.  

• Sponsored links:

Agree with all your post ShootersHillGuru.
    But If we think he or any other proven goal scorer at this level will give us the top six finish then we will have to pay the wages or fee as Ipswich did last season.
    The alterative is what we have suffered in recent seasons.
    Loans, players past their best and never will be's . 
  • edited June 2023
    Whenever I saw an Ipswich game Ladapo seemed to be on the bench. He started 23 and was on the bench for 23. Averaged 0.7 goals per 90 played from what I can see. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Cawley not confirming or denying interest in Ladapo.

That reads like he (RC) has heard something but not had a concrete link yet. Not ruling it out but far from definitive...
    Also in January as well, we made an enquiry! 
  • I dread to think what our team would have looked like the last two seasons without Dobson in it, maybe its a purist thing, his football is not pretty enough for some.

Each to their own, some fans were bored by the football played by the CP team as we stormed out of League 1 and then came only 4 points short of making the Championship play-offs but I certainly never understood that sentiment either. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Identifying Dobson as a problem is madness.

Summeritus. Some of you have too much time on your hands. 
    Not saying he is a problem.. But when you are buying and signing league two players and mid table league one players, you are not going to reach the target which is promotion. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Dobbo 100% fits the category of would do better with better around him.  Same for Leaburn.  This is not true, imo, of most of the rest of the squad who people seem to apply this to.  Someone like Tunnicliffe, although a seasoned pro at this level and someone who would get stuck in, is not one of the 6/7/8 top quality players we need.  

He may be okay as that old favorite among us, as ‘a squad player’, but if he’s being signed to play 40 odd games a season, we won’t go up 
    I don't think this is true.  I think Dobson looks better, or certainly stands out more, because we have been generally crap.  The amount of times he has to win the ball back or cover for players being completely out of position is ridiculous.  He wouldn't have to do that if the other players were better.  

He has stood out with us, Wimbledon and Walsall.  He flopped at Sunderland and, despite his form at Wimbledon, there was no serious competition for us to sign him.  He has been our best player for two seasons and there as been no serious Championship intrest.

He was one of, probably 3, the players we couldn't play without last season.  Without him we may well have been in a relegation battle, or worse, in the last two seasons.  

Obviously he isn't "the problem" far from it but it would be nice if we didn't have to play him every game, wouldn't it?
    100% this is my point, and not having a dig at Dobson.. But we certainly need players to push him on!