Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Underwhelmed by this one.
  • Assume Holden remembers Tunnicliffe from the days when he held a season ticket at old Trafford.

The only issue is that it’s a lot easier to look good when surrounded by class players at Man Utd vs when playing in a team of free transfers at the Valley.

Hopefully he’s not another Kilkenny.
    Well Dean would have needed to have a knowledge beyond first team squad. Tunnicliffe was at Old Trafford 2009 - 2014 with zero appearances. 
  • Experienced at a higher level is good.

I pray he’s another Darren Pratley, not Ben Watson.
  • For me one of the most important signings will be the return of Hector.
    Of course I’d like him to sign but I think Holden needs to move on from Hector. We desperately need an experienced and quality CB and it’s looking very likely that Hector is going to take it to the wire before committing in order to get a better offer. I don’t think we can afford to wait and get caught out near the end of the window scratching around. I’m led to believe he’s been made a very decent offer which we’re unlikely to improve. I say move on.
  • edited June 2023
    supaclive said:
    Underwhelmed by this one.
    Based on what? Out of interest have you seen him play? As always I’ll give him half a dozen games, after all by all accounts Holden is on record I believe wanting some experienced pros in the camp and he has England youth international caps to his name. Doesn’t mean he’s fulfilled his early potential far from it but we’re a L1 club and I back the manager’s judgement for now  😉.
  • Just been told we’ll be signing some players?
    thing is .. WHEN ?  :*      :)
    Sorry, signed an NDA.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Tunnecliffe I think would be an upgrade on what we had last season in the middle of the park. I would certainly welcome the signing if true! 
    Why do you think this? If true, I hope you’re right, but seems to me to be a player on a downward trajectory. If genuinely better than what we have, why has he been released from Portsmouth? Their team were very much on a par with us last year.
    according to wiki Pompey had a further one year option that has not been taken up, whether by them or the player himself who knows. Not an inspiring signing I agree but I trust in Holden to assemble a squad.
  • Tunnicliffe could be the type of signing this club could be looking for, if he has the energy of Pratley and a ball-winner, then has my vote. 
    If it happens I am sure we will get 100% behind him! Worth a roll of the dice and comes with some pedigree, does he have a history of injuries?

• Sponsored links:

• For me one of the most important signings will be the return of Hector.
    Of course I’d like him to sign but I think Holden needs to move on from Hector. We desperately need an experienced and quality CB and it’s looking very likely that Hector is going to take it to the wire before committing in order to get a better offer. I don’t think we can afford to wait and get caught out near the end of the window scratching around. I’m led to believe he’s been made a very decent offer which we’re unlikely to improve. I say move on.
    For me one of the most important signings will be the return of Hector.
    Yep, looks like we need to move on.
    But, we haven't moved on and as far as we know he hasn't signed for anyone.
    Depends how D.H. views it, or how desperate D.H. is to sign him. 
    Still a bit of hope.

Ben Watson was bad but really bad,  step forward Joe Ledley.
  • Hopefully Isted can now sell the club to Lapado or Tunnecliffe
  • RedChaser said:
    supaclive said:
    Underwhelmed by this one.
    Based on what? Out of interest have you seen him play? As always I’ll give him half a dozen games, after all by all accounts Holden is on record I believe wanting some experienced pros in the camp and he has England youth international caps to his name. Does t mean he’s fulfilled his early potential but we’re a L1 club and I back the manager’s judgement for now  😉.
    I'm going to agree with @RedChaser ........ rather than knee-jerk reaction based on very little, IMO it's important to pay attention to what the manager actually says.

Whether we sign Tunnicliffe or not, Holden has said he needs more experienced pros and says he wants us to be more competitive.

He'll be determined not to repeat some of last season's horror show defending and make us harder to beat - and that starts with making the midfield more combatitive, providing a better shield for the defence. If we are to challenge for top 6, we all know that promotion sides are built on a solid defence.

And the midfield is a big part of that.

Ben Watson was bad but really bad,  step forward Joe Ledley.
    Two outstanding players who came to us too late in their careers.
  • Training starts tomorrow and I’m feeling confident we’ll have a couple of players confirmed. 
  • Unmoved by the Tunnicliffe one but we'll see. We don't tend to do too well out of signing journeyman midfielders to shore up the middle though. Historically we've tended to get them wrong and bring in people at the end of their careers, though Tunnicliffe is younger than some of those that we've tried out. We still don't know what shape Holden is going to play either. If it's 433 or 352 then he'll replace Morgan and we'll have more bite in the middle, which we've lacked. If it's 442 which I've read somewhere then I could see him being the flatter wide midfielder on the right, with a proper winger on the left. We'll see, we also need to actually sign him first
  • Horses for courses , plan is to get out this league if he helps us for one season then fantastic .. let the new owners spend on wingers and striker 
  • Unmoved by the Tunnicliffe one but we'll see. We don't tend to do too well out of signing journeyman midfielders to shore up the middle though. Historically we've tended to get them wrong and bring in people at the end of their careers, though Tunnicliffe is younger than some of those that we've tried out. We still don't know what shape Holden is going to play either. If it's 433 or 352 then he'll replace Morgan and we'll have more bite in the middle, which we've lacked. If it's 442 which I've read somewhere then I could see him being the flatter wide midfielder on the right, with a proper winger on the left. We'll see, we also need to actually sign him first
    Please no! Tunnicliffe is definitely not a right winger from what I’ve seen of him at Pompey.

Hopefully a back up player who comes in when Fraser, Dobson & our new future goal scoring midfielder can’t play (or when we’re ahead and need to see a game out).
  • Sponsored links:

Please no! Tunnicliffe is definitely not a right winger from what I’ve seen of him at Pompey.

Hopefully a back up player who comes in when Fraser, Dobson & our new future goal scoring midfielder can’t play (or when we’re ahead and need to see a game out).
    He not a winger he a central mid similar to Dobson .. 

Well in that shape he wouldn't be asked to play as a winger. He'd be a wide midfielder in the style of Jackson under Powell or the many iterations of it that Curbs used to use. One's a winger, one's a wide midfielder to tuck in. Ideally then with an attacking full back behind the wide midfielder and a more traditional defensive full back behind the winger. I don't know what Holden plans to do but I wouldn't be massively shocked if his 442 was quite conservative, we are notoriously bad at letting teams run through the middle of us
  • Bolton signing 32 year old … Danny Mayor but only Charlton fans find a problem with signing experienced players !!!!
    Would probably take 5 minutes to find a Bolton fan saying he’s a bad signing and they’d rather bring in a hungry young player.
  • Bolton signing 32 year old … Danny Mayor but only Charlton fans find a problem with signing experienced players !!!!
    Based our history with journeyman centre midfielders I don’t think you can blame us.

Pratley worked but the majority i.e. Foley, Crofts, Gower, Watson etc didn’t 
  • edited June 2023
    Bolton signing 32 year old … Danny Mayor but only Charlton fans find a problem with signing experienced players !!!!
    That's a sweeping statement Ronnie, can we include you in that?......No!!!
    Well,... don't include me then ok!!
  • Hard to get excited by Tunnicliffe, but it seems he played quite well for Pompey after Mousinho took over and improved them