Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Tunnecliffe I think would be an upgrade on what we had last season in the middle of the park. I would certainly welcome the signing if true! 
    Why do you think this? If true, I hope you’re right, but seems to me to be a player on a downward trajectory. If genuinely better than what we have, why has he been released from Portsmouth? Their team were very much on a par with us last year.
    Did you watch our midfield last year??
  • RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Tunnecliffe I think would be an upgrade on what we had last season in the middle of the park. I would certainly welcome the signing if true! 
    Why do you think this? If true, I hope you’re right, but seems to me to be a player on a downward trajectory. If genuinely better than what we have, why has he been released from Portsmouth? Their team were very much on a par with us last year.
    PR overdrive for the new owners 
  • Tunnicliffe reminds me of the Andy Hughes signing in the Powell era. Won’t play every game but good back up and good experience especially if we have a young squad.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Did you watch our midfield last year??
    Yep, every game. And in my opinion our midfield of CBT/Dobson/Fraser/JRS was better than Portsmouth’s. Pompy had a better defence, generally more consistent keeper and a more threatening front line but their midfield was a weak link in their squad. So I go back to my point about whether or not a midfielder who was released by them would improve our team. If he’s just coming as back up to Dobson, then so be it but I’d still rather see McGrandles given a chance.
  • Nothing at all wrong with signing Tunnicliffe. Good experience and certainly an upgrade on Morgan and McGrandles. 
    Not sure why we are in a position to turn our nose up at players being released by divisional rivals. 

If/when he signs, give him a chance, he might surprise us! 
  • Bolton signing 32 year old … Danny Mayor but only Charlton fans find a problem with signing experienced players !!!! Oh Ronald. Please Foxtrot Oscar. Not a problem with older experienced players. It's just that it has to be the right ones. We are looking for first teamers,  not those trying to " top up their pensions" 😀

• Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    A fella whose contract wasn’t renewed by an average Pompey team. A quick look on twitter and you can see their fans opinions.

How you can turn around and say he’s an upgrade on what we had last in ok the middle of the park (Dobson + Fraser), is laughable. 

So basically like Sunderland and their fans did to Dobson … 
  • Rothko said:
    I know I’m in the minority, but I do think Dobson is a problem and not the answer, needs something else there
    Great heart. Not a bad player by anymeans, but a limited footballer(Sunderland fans knew this). I know this seems harsh, but you need a lot more than effort and guts at upper league 1 and above.
  • Rothko said:
    I know I’m in the minority, but I do think Dobson is a problem and not the answer, needs something else there
    Similar to Semedo.
  • edited June 2023
    Maybe when Holden gets interviewed after the first days training tomorrow, someone can ask him if we're only bringing in free transfers but of course no one will!
  • Dobson has clear strengths and weaknesses. What he needs is someone next to him who makes up for those weaknesses. Not sure Tunnicliffe is the answer so hopefully we will be adding more than just him to the midfield. Need a deep playmaker type in the Cullen/Forster-Caskey mould that can pick the ball up from Dobson and dictate the game 
  • Rothko said:
    Bit harsh personally but agree with sentiment that their has been hyperbole about Dobbos ability, he could be part of a strong midfield but he certainly has his flaws.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bods64 said:
    Hopefully Isted can now sell the club to Lapado or Tunnecliffe
    Not another takeover please
  • Rothko said:
    Similar to Semedo.
    Yeah, in lots of ways. I’ve said it before, watching Dobson at Ipswich was the moment I changed to being a bit down on him 
  • edited June 2023
    Rothko said:
    I both agree and disagree. He's most certainly not "the answer" if you want players who are going to pull a team up single handedly and turn a bunch of also-rans into contenders. But I think calling him a problem is slightly unfair. 

What he actually is is a player who is very good at a very specific role, in this particular case that deep sitting defensive position. But he is also fairly limited in what else he brings. Do you need goals? Creativity? Cunning use of tactical fouls and shithousery to wind up the other team? Cause if you do... Dobson is not your man.

He/we absolutely do "need something else there" but I still think that should be AS WELL as Dobson, not INSTEAD OF. Ironically enough the version of McGrandles who turned up at Cambridge would probably be ideal, but who knows if we'll ever see him in Charlton colours.

I don't think Tunnicliffe is that guy either but if he can be cover and give Dobson a break now and then it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, though it wouldn't be top of my to do list either.
  • RedRyan said:
    Dobbo is the first name on the team sheet, as it should be. He epitomises the graft and effort we demand from our players. (Edit: also - plus his forward passing is much better than he’s given credit for imo)

His performances took a dip when he had a baby. No surprises, having a kid keeping you up all night will wreck anyone. He needed a game out of the side but we had no one to slot in. 

Tunnicliffe (or whoever) to give Dobbo a break when needed is a good idea, imo.
    If they have any sense Dobbo will have been sleeping in a separate room, at least for some of the time.
  • RedRyan said:
    Dobbo is the first name on the team sheet, as it should be. He epitomises the graft and effort we demand from our players. (Edit: also - plus his forward passing is much better than he’s given credit for imo)

His performances took a dip when he had a baby. No surprises, having a kid keeping you up all night will wreck anyone. He needed a game out of the side but we had no one to slot in. 

Tunnicliffe (or whoever) to give Dobbo a break when needed is a good idea, imo.
    100% and if true I can imagine this why we are looking at another defensive midfielder