Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Think Dobson is underrated with the ball at his feet. His passing is quite good, and he can carry the ball forward too. If he was just a tackler I don’t think he would have played so many games. You don’t get to be such an important player by tackling alone. 
    I think he improved a lot at that last season. Garner-ball forced him to get better. He’s got a good long pass on him but I would love to see him making more short forward passes through the lines which we really haven’t seen enough of since JFC was playing regularly in the covid season
  • The negative side is that we've only made one signing, in a position we only needed a signing to replace a player we sold.

On the other hand, some of the rumours and stories do still have me hoping (if not expecting) that just maybe the mystery "they" in charge of recruitment might finally be about to pull their collective fingers out.

Istead hasn't got tons of experience but HAS played, and played well at this level. He's also likely to be ambitious which suggests to me that Holden must have some degree of selling power to at least some players.

May and Ladapo are links only but both are experienced and proven strikers at this level. Outside of one speculative link to Grant, we're relatively free of the usual returners, has beans and L2 prospects that we normally seem to be interested in.

Even Tunnicliffe makes a certain amount of sense in that he's got experience and a decent fitness record in L1 even if he's not exactly a name who's going to win over sceptics.

Long way to go yet but I'm holding out hope that we CAN still turn things around (can... not necessarily will.)
  • NabySarr said:
    I definitely think Ipswich would be open to letting Ladapo go although they’ll probably have to bring one in. He’s certainly behind Chaplin and Broadhead. 
    Chaplin and Broadhead don’t play as the striker for them. They will try and sign George Hirst who they had on loan, and then would probably need to sign another 1 or 2 out and out strikers to let Ladapo go. So probably one for later in the window if it does happen 
    Well Chaplin plays off the striker. With Hirst only being a loanee, you’re probably right they’ll need 2 hold up strikers. I’ve seen them linked with Ellis Simms. If they got him and Hirst you’d imagine they’d be willing to let Ladapo go. I’m going to guess any move for Ladapo will be late in the window. 
  • NabySarr said:
    I definitely think Ipswich would be open to letting Ladapo go although they’ll probably have to bring one in. He’s certainly behind Chaplin and Broadhead. 
    Chaplin and Broadhead don’t play as the striker for them. They will try and sign George Hirst who they had on loan, and then would probably need to sign another 1 or 2 out and out strikers to let Ladapo go. So probably one for later in the window if it does happen 

I'd expect Hirst and a PL loan striker in for them. Will be interesting to see what happens to Tyreece John-Jules who they had last season but probably will leave Arsenal this summer.

Ladapo as you say will be a last week of the window type deal if he goes. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Think Dobson is underrated with the ball at his feet. His passing is quite good, and he can carry the ball forward too. If he was just a tackler I don’t think he would have played so many games. You don’t get to be such an important player by tackling alone. 
    I like Dobson but the bit in bold simply isn't true. His passing is the weakest part of his game 
  • Not ITK but if we’re after a left sided centre half, we could do worse than Ryan Sweeney.

Just left Dundee after captaining them to promotion (also won player of the year there the previous season in the Scottish Premiership).

Dundee offered him a new contract but he’s decided to move on. Has his roots in London too, coming out of the academy at Wimbledon.
    "Team full of Ryans.  We're just a team full of Ryans.  Team full of Ryans, we're just a team full of Ryans"
  • Not ITK but if we’re after a left sided centre half, we could do worse than Ryan Sweeney.

Just left Dundee after captaining them to promotion (also won player of the year there the previous season in the Scottish Premiership).

Dundee offered him a new contract but he’s decided to move on. Has his roots in London too, coming out of the academy at Wimbledon.
    "Team full of Ryans.  We're just a team full of Ryans.  Team full of Ryans, we're just a team full of Ryans"

Melrose said:
    Rothko said:
    I know I’m in the minority, but I do think Dobson is a problem and not the answer, needs something else there
    Great heart. Not a bad player by anymeans, but a limited footballer(Sunderland fans knew this). I know this seems harsh, but you need a lot more than effort and guts at upper league 1 and above.
    Name two other Ryans in our team
  • Sponsored links:

• Sambcafc said:
    Not ITK but if we’re after a left sided centre half, we could do worse than Ryan Sweeney.

Melrose said:
    Rothko said:
    I know I’m in the minority, but I do think Dobson is a problem and not the answer, needs something else there
    Great heart. Not a bad player by anymeans, but a limited footballer(Sunderland fans knew this). I know this seems harsh, but you need a lot more than effort and guts at upper league 1 and above.
    Name two other Ryans in our team
    Ryan Viggars, and Ryan Huke ;)
  • The one thing Dobson needs to take his game to the next level is a consistent ability to shoot from outside the box, the threat of the ball dropping to him on the edge from a dead ball or after it ping pongs about the box 10 times would open up so much more of the pitch
  • seth plum said:
    Dobbo gets little opportunity to be expansive as he is doing all the actual work.
    Didn’t he set up a good goal last season with a nice rangy pass? And we will always have Paris Ipswich.
    Glad he could do it in 1/46 games.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:

I'd expect Hirst and a PL loan striker in for them. Will be interesting to see what happens to Tyreece John-Jules who they had last season but probably will leave Arsenal this summer.

John-Jules hardly got a kick last season but is one I mentioned in January. Arsenal nicked him from us when he was about 6yrs old! His scoring record looks poor, but he has talent.
    I can’t find a date for his contract ending but it must be soon. 
  • Redrobo said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:

John-Jules hardly got a kick last season but is one I mentioned in January. Arsenal nicked him from us when he was about 6yrs old! His scoring record looks poor, but he has talent.
    I can’t find a date for his contract ending but it must be soon. 

Year to run I believe so would require a fee, could be one to keep an eye on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• new training kit, and yep, Payne looks like he's come back from being Jack Grealish's bag man 
  • Interesting that the castoffs aren't in that photo, no sign of Lavelle, DJ or Kirk whatsoever so far.
  • Rothko said:
    new training kit, and yep, Payne looks like he's come back from being Jack Grealish's bag man 
    Looks like Henry has switched to squad number 15 as well.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    This smacks of Andrew Crofts all over again. Him and Foley, best midfield ever 
    Or does it smack of Andy Hughes all over again?

What we haven't had, since the ESI window is a clear idea on what we are trying to achieve.  It's been a squad designed by committee with no thought about how the pieces fit together.

If Holden has a plan, and the freedom to execute it, and wants/needs a player like Tunnicliffe to make it work brilliant.  
    I think a lot of whether these 'experience' transfers work depends on the quality and fitness of the first choice player ahead of them in that position. People tend to misremember Andy Hughes a bit; he started 5 games for us. We won them all and he was good, though we did luckily play some weaker teams and we went to pieces towards the end of a couple of them as he tired. Other than that he made 7 sub appearances, and only two of those were for more than 5 minutes. Four of them were for 1 minute. His last appearance for us was at the start of January (1 minute) and then after that he only made the squad twice and didn't come on either time. He was initially brought in as cover at right back but we never played him there, and once we played Wiggins there rather than put him in when Solly was absent. We remember him fondly though because he filled in briefly until we could get an emergency loan and that was why he was there. There's a reason we brought in Russell when we could though and there's a reason Hughes didn't get into the squad once Stephens was back.
    Compare that to Crofts, Watson and the rest though; Crofts played 45 out of 46 league games, Watson played a devastating 29 L1 games in one season and Pratley played 111 games for us despite being brought in as a backup in his first season with us in L1. Foley played a similar number of games to Hughes. He was a decent RB but not in any way a midfielder. Despite that he made 10 appearances in midfield and only 4 at RB, and had nearly double the minutes Hughes did overall. In all these cases there should have been someone ahead of these players so their experience could be used but not their actual footballing ability, but instead of bringing them in to top up a decent 11 they were brought in to make sure we could put 11 on the pitch, or the peson we planned to put in ahead of them was so bad/crippled we didn't have a choice. I think if Andy Hughes had played 30 games for us in 11/12 we'd have a different memory of him, and I'm glad that's not the case.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Dobbo 100% fits the category of would do better with better around him.  Same for Leaburn.  This is not true, imo, of most of the rest of the squad who people seem to apply this to.  Someone like Tunnicliffe, although a seasoned pro at this level and someone who would get stuck in, is not one of the 6/7/8 top quality players we need.  

He may be okay as that old favorite among us, as ‘a squad player’, but if he’s being signed to play 40 odd games a season, we won’t go up 
    I don't think this is true.  I think Dobson looks better, or certainly stands out more, because we have been generally crap.  The amount of times he has to win the ball back or cover for players being completely out of position is ridiculous.  He wouldn't have to do that if the other players were better.  

He has stood out with us, Wimbledon and Walsall.  He flopped at Sunderland and, despite his form at Wimbledon, there was no serious competition for us to sign him.  He has been our best player for two seasons and there as been no serious Championship intrest.

He was one of, probably 3, the players we couldn't play without last season.  Without him we may well have been in a relegation battle, or worse, in the last two seasons.  

Obviously he isn't "the problem" far from it but it would be nice if we didn't have to play him every game, wouldn't it?
    100% this is my point, and not having a dig at Dobson.. But we certainly need players to push him on! 
    Same as you Dubai.  Dobson and Leaburn are the only two who have consistently delivered, ergo, they’re the ones that would benefit from better around them.  The others like CBT, Payne and Fraser haven’t shown a consistency for me that makes me think they’re good enough.  

Is Dobbo looking better than he is because of the poor quality around him, potentially.  However the consistency of his performances would imply that he’ll do more with better around him.  As for the rest of them, we can’t say that for sure.  
  • Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I can’t believe the debate on Dobbo has gone as far as this….have we forgotten about all the other players below him in the pecking order? How are the likes of Fraser, Payne etc shirking this level of analysis?
  • sam3110 said:
    Interesting that the castoffs aren't in that photo, no sign of Lavelle, DJ or Kirk whatsoever so far.
    Think Lavelle is there:

And DJ?:

• Campbell now wearing the 20 and Leaburn is wearing 11 in the pictures.

I think almost all the traditional first XI numbers are available this season, aren't they? Especially if Thomas and Hector don't re-sign.

Is Dobbo is the only player registered with a single digit number from last season?