Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited June 2023
    A pompey mate of mine says Tunnicliffe is “very hit and miss, he’s a good trier & will give 10/10 for effort”
    Sounds like Morgan...🤔
  • A pompey mate of mine says Tunnicliffe is “very hit and miss, he’s a good trier & will give 10/10 for effort
    Which has been the kind of thing missing from too many of our players for too long.
    I wouldn't say that really, most of them have tried hard but ultimately been dogshit
  • NabySarr said:
    Just seen that Exeter have released Jevani Brown, thought he had a good season last year… worth a punt?
    On trial next month after admitting to assaulting a woman. So naturally he’s signing for Joey Barton’s Bristol Rovers 
    Ah didn’t know that, don’t need them sort of players at the football club hey 
  • Scoham said:
    Looks like he might even be able to beat Inniss' record of getting sent off 4 times in a season!
    Based on that video of a clean tackle?
    Do that sort of tackle in an away game, getting all the home fans to their feet screaming and the home manager shouting at the referee , and there is always a danger you will walk.

That is an away game
  • Just been told we’ll be signing some players?
    Nothing new😂
    Since 2013/2014 how many players have played for Charlton

if you take one day equals one player and begin on New Year’s Day it would be about the first week of July.🤣😎got to laugh at that.
  • Steady Eddie, cog in the machine type midfielders are always useful to have, albeit not the kind of signing that get blood pumping. I wouldn't be disappointed if he signed but I hope that he's there more to make up numbers now Gilbey and Morgan have gone rather than being a sign of our ambitions.
  • This smacks of Andrew Crofts all over again. Him and Foley, best midfield ever 
  • Ackers says Alfie May will have his medical tomorrow.
    There's more chance of us signing Brian May than Acworth being right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Adding someone like Tunnicliffe and probably another CM , makes me wonder if there's legs in the idea that Aaron Henry will be loaned out? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Adding someone like Tunnicliffe and probably another CM , makes me wonder if there's legs in the idea that Aaron Henry will be loaned out? 
    Hopefully. And maybe we can move Payne on also and find a better replacement.
  • JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    Terrel Thomas has replied to the isted announcement saying you surely have more in your locker….I suspect he has signed a new contract 
    Back up player if the club has any ambition to go up. He was off to Forest Green in January before O’Connell went to Wrexham. 
    Agreed back up fpr sure from what i uave seen but he was also better than one of our first choice cbs in Innis last season
    Different type of player, Inniss. We need a big aerially dominant player to replace him. You wouldn’t stick TT on a big centre forward. Or, arguably, Ness. 
    I trust most of our current cbs instead on Innis tbf even aerially
    A game like Cambridge away where we were bombarded with long balls he was immaculate. I’d love to see the stats, but he seemed to win every duel, and held the line very well. Player like Ness (who’s much better technically) is nowhere near Innis aerially. Not yet, anyway. None of our CBS are. 
  • Okay, I'll wait to be convinced! 
  • Leuth said:
    Okay, I'll wait to be convinced! 
    Shouldnt this be the case with any players going into a new season?

Even those that have been reliable in the past, may now find themselves losing form
  • CAFC_boi said:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12231425/Charlton-Athletic-look-make-journeyman-midfielder-Ryan-Tunnicliffe-second-summer-signing.html 

Here is the link to the story for anyone interested - sounds pretty nailed on and from a ‘reliable’ 

Good experienced signing if true  very similar player to Holden himself so no surprise he would want a player like that .. 
  • CAFC_boi said:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12231425/Charlton-Athletic-look-make-journeyman-midfielder-Ryan-Tunnicliffe-second-summer-signing.html 

Here is the link to the story for anyone interested - sounds pretty nailed on and from a ‘reliable’ 

Good experienced signing if true  very similar player to Holden himself so no surprise he would want a player like that .. 

• MarcusH26 said:
    Adding someone like Tunnicliffe and probably another CM , makes me wonder if there's legs in the idea that Aaron Henry will be loaned out? 
    Hopefully. And maybe we can move Payne on also and find a better replacement.

Wouldn't be against moving Payne on if we could get a high quality starting replacement, not really sure what role Payne will have beyond cup games and sub appearances out wide. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    This smacks of Andrew Crofts all over again. Him and Foley, best midfield ever 
    Or does it smack of Andy Hughes all over again?

What we haven't had, since the ESI window is a clear idea on what we are trying to achieve.  It's been a squad designed by committee with no thought about how the pieces fit together.

If Holden has a plan, and the freedom to execute it, and wants/needs a player like Tunnicliffe to make it work brilliant.  
    Its not hard to envisage a system that has Dobson retaining his deeper defensive role as well as hopefully a bit more creativity and goal threat from more attacking midfielders (like Fraser and maybe new faces).

In that type of system, midfielders who are going to do lots of running, hassling, a bit of busy work to tie it all together would be useful, and Tunnicliffe would tick that box.

I don't know if this link is genuine and I don't know what system/formation we're looking at next season but when you look back at the success of Powell and early Bowyer the sum was often greater than its parts (as good as those parts were.) 

In itself this signing would be at most just whelming, but IF it means Holden is actually setting an agenda and not being told "here's some signings, find a formation to fit them into" its got to be positive.

That "if" is doing a lot of lifting though I admit.
  • cfgs said:
    CAFC_boi said:

CAFC_boi said:

Highly informative @RonnieMoore, thanks.
    To be fair, the comments went in the quotes so it is there.

• If and again a big if there any truth in this I can see Mcgrandles going back out on loan again or even allowed to leave on a free .. Holden inherited McGrandles , Payne and Henry and if he can bring in a better option but similar player to either of these he will . 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    This smacks of Andrew Crofts all over again. Him and Foley, best midfield ever 
    Or does it smack of Andy Hughes all over again?

What we haven't had, since the ESI window is a clear idea on what we are trying to achieve.  It's been a squad designed by committee with no thought about how the pieces fit together.

If Holden has a plan, and the freedom to execute it, and wants/needs a player like Tunnicliffe to make it work brilliant.  
    If Tunnicliffe is our marquee midfield signing then it’s bad. If it’s to bolster numbers, give options and add experience then I see it as decent enough. I think we need to reserve judgment until we see the final makeover of our midfield. 
  • edited June 2023
    Scoham said:
    Sambcafc said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Tunnicliffe is a good player at this level with lots of experience and is pretty durable. Plays a lot of games. Definitely something we need. Not a season changer but a good option and better than Morgan/McGrandles/Payne. I’d like this one if we get it done
    Surely this exact statement could be said for McGrandles last summer. 

I hope we’re at least looking at McGrandles seriously as he came with a really decent league one reputation and was on the back of an excellent season with Lincoln.
    No not really… McGrandles had never played higher than Lincoln. Tunnecliffe bring a significant amount of experience at a higher level. Like I said not a marquee signing but good business on a free I think. Definitely a better player than Mcgrandles/Morgan/Payne. 
    If he was definitely better than Morgan then Pompey probably wouldn’t have released him.
    Did they "release" him though. I expect he came to the end of his contract & decided to look for pastures new. Did Pompey offer him a new contract? If so was it on better terms than better, the same or worse ?  Article says he doesn't hang around long a clubs (like lots of players, Lyle Taylor one of them) so he might gave turned down a new contract. 

Also this is just paper talk so most likely just bollox. 

• If and again a big if there any truth in this I can see Mcgrandles going back out on loan again or even allowed to leave on a free .. Holden inherited McGrandles , Payne and Henry and if he can bring in a better option but similar player to either of these he will . 
    McGrendles is a difficult one to call.
    We've only seen a brief glimpse of him but he was highly rated at Lincoln and apparently did well on loan at Cambridge.  
    I think D.H. will have been aware of his form/abilities at Cambridge, have a look at him pre season and decide if we keep or move him on. 
  • Assume Holden remembers Tunnicliffe from the days when he held a season ticket at old Trafford.

The only issue is that it’s a lot easier to look good when surrounded by class players at Man Utd vs when playing in a team of free transfers at the Valley.

Hopefully he’s not another Kilkenny.