Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Very pleased with this signing. Hector is a class act, I agree with others, I reckon he's been told that other quality signings are coming in and that promotion is the goal, hence a 1 Yr contract, no promotion you can leave, or promotion and you play with us in Championship!
  • I think the CB situation is an interesting one. I'd take Jones or someone of that ilk as the other CB and then look to get Elewere a good League 2 loan , I would have said Colchester but they've signed Nico Lawrence this week on loan from Southampton. Mitchell can continue to develop with cup games and U21s. 
  • nagAddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Do we think it’s Hec and Ness as the 1st choice pairing and we’re now looking for depth or do we want another starter? 
    Would rather sign someone to start over Ness.
    I’d start Ness in a three all day long, in a two probably.  He was good last season and will only get better at his age.  
    Agreed. Hopefully he’s fully recovered from his injury and produces the same level of performances we witnessed second half of the season. He certainly caught the eye of club scouts higher up the football pyramid. 
  • I'd say Ness was our best centre back last season. Hector had a few ropey games 
  • redbuttle said:
    cafc4life said:
    what is this obsession with us being after Ipswich rejects
    What like Darren Bent and Matt Holland
    Oh dear.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    thenewbie said:
    mart77 said:
    Hector is a very very important signing. Still hoping we get the Cambridge lad Jones too.
    Agreed on both. On paper, Hector, Jones and Ness (with Thomas as back up) would be a fairly strong selection of CBs, probably would  want another for numbers but a decent start, especially if they get a preseason to actually gel together and get an understanding which they didn't last time out.

I’m torn on that from your selection as I don’t want to leave Elerewe out in the cold if he has improved after his loan.
    I feel Elewere is better served getting a loan again but for a whole season where he can play regularly and get some real experience rather than being a bit part or a back up.

In a pinch he'd be "the extra one for numbers" but long-term that's not great for him personally or the club. We'd be better off (pragmatically) getting someone like Todd Kane or Tayo Edun, who can cover multiple roles and have a bit more experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lots of talk about an improved budget. 
    I shall wait until we actually start spending money before getting over excited. 
    The proof of the pudding and all that.
    Finish that proverb. I dare you. I double dare you.
  • Southbank said:
    Fantastic news!!! We are signing the same players who got us to 10th last season. Brilliant. I am buying my season ticket right now. Can't wait.

Now we know why the budget was fixed. We are paying the same players the same money as last season

Zzzzzzzzzz
  • We finished a whooping 36 points behind 2nd placed Ipswich last season. The ambition this coming season should be to finish 1st or 2nd. We’re not going to achieve that by re-signing players that were part of the first team and squad last year. Early days of course, but currently it’s the same again. That’s not being negative, it’s how it is right now. 
    I think some of the squad were good enough, Hector being in one of those, in my opinion. We need a left back, a forward to replicate RS's goal tally at the very least and a midfield player to fill the position that we never managed to fill with Morgan or Kilkenny. Early days as you say 'Addicktion' but those type of signings will need investment and that's not an investment that will happen under TS, so we will have to wait a while longer. 
  • “Getting another chance to play here was an easy decision to make”….so I took 7 weeks to sign the contract that was offered to me in early May 😂
  • We finished a whooping 36 points behind 2nd placed Ipswich last season. The ambition this coming season should be to finish 1st or 2nd. We’re not going to achieve that by re-signing players that were part of the first team and squad last year. Early days of course, but currently it’s the same again. That’s not being negative, it’s how it is right now. 
    Hector improved us though, he’s better than what we had and he’s certainly better than Inniss, this is a very good signing at this level.  And now we get him with a full pre season under his belt.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Quality. Delighted. 
    Hector + Ness are good enough 
    Need solid back ups... Thomas was a pretty decent start towards that...

Expecting another 3-4 defenders in, mind 
  • Southbank said:
    We are a laughing stock of a club. Players that have played here before only want to sign for a year. 

Are we supposed to be happy with that ??  We'll be in the same position this time next year - players out of contract & struggling to build a decent squad.

Oh well, doesn't take much to keep you lot happy. 
    I agree with you.
    There is nothing wrong with looking forward to a new season despite the knowledge that our squad is inadequate for a promotion push. I will still go, with my daughter and it will be a good day out for us whatever the result. That is normal for many football fans who will not get a sniff of promotion for year after year (like we are now)
    Howver, what is dumb is to believe the bullshit from the management team with NO actual evidence that things will improve. And jumping for joy because the same defence that looked porous last season is going to be lining up for us again is double dumb. And now there is enthusiasm for the journeyman Cambridge defender Jones who found his level at a club which just missed relegation to League 2 by a whisker.

Being kidded by somebody else is dumb. Kidding yourself is double dumb.

Blimey you two remind me of these guys.. 

I do look a bit like the one on the right. Can't speak for Golfie tho
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    We are a laughing stock of a club. Players that have played here before only want to sign for a year. 

Are we supposed to be happy with that ??  We'll be in the same position this time next year - players out of contract & struggling to build a decent squad.

Oh well, doesn't take much to keep you lot happy. 
    I agree with you.
    There is nothing wrong with looking forward to a new season despite the knowledge that our squad is inadequate for a promotion push. I will still go, with my daughter and it will be a good day out for us whatever the result. That is normal for many football fans who will not get a sniff of promotion for year after year (like we are now)
    Howver, what is dumb is to believe the bullshit from the management team with NO actual evidence that things will improve. And jumping for joy because the same defence that looked porous last season is going to be lining up for us again is double dumb. And now there is enthusiasm for the journeyman Cambridge defender Jones who found his level at a club which just missed relegation to League 2 by a whisker.

Being kidded by somebody else is dumb. Kidding yourself is double dumb.

Blimey you two remind me of these guys.. 

I do look a bit like the one on the right. Can't speak for Golfie tho
    Here you go;

😉
  • Croydon said:
    ButtleJR said:
    At the end of this interview Hector says Holdens going to build a team to get promoted. Assume there's a few players lined up.
    If he takes that long over an easy decision, I'd hate to think what he does with anything tricky
    Would explain that porous defence that Golfie is so upset about mind you!!!
  • He wouldn’t put pen to paper without some assurances about future incomings, would he?

Clutching at straws I know… :-)
    That's why he only signed for a year. No real assurances or so undecided he took the shortest deal going.

Not a great show of faith is it. Last 2 signings, both who played here last season so "know the club", sign for just 12 months. 

Sats so much about us as a club don't uiu think. Out of interest (and I generally don't kniw) have any other league 1 players this June signed on for just a year  ??  

Don't think I've ever seen that happen in the summer transfer window.

• For sense of balance I will say that I'm happy with the recent signings & hoping that once the takeover goes through Hector & Thomas sign extensions to their contracts.