Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Taxi_Lad said:
    IMO if May goes to Gills then he clearly ain’t good enough for a Lg1 promotion push
    Ain't good enough or follow the money, one last big pay day? 

Gillingham big payers? Maybe not, but May gets the chance to come home to Kent.

• Oggy Red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    IMO if May goes to Gills then he clearly ain’t good enough for a Lg1 promotion push

According to my sources Gillingham are paying more than all but a handful of league 1 clubs.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

According to my sources Gillingham are paying more than all but a handful of league 1 clubs.
    That isnt sustainable so could be a sticky ending for them.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

It's not sustainable for 80% of the EFL so it could be a sticky end for everyone.  Including us.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

It's not sustainable for 80% of the EFL so it could be a sticky end for everyone.  Including us.
    Meaning from more from there in League 2. If they spend all that and dont go up, there in the shit. 

Football isnt sustainable in general but spending wisely and not just chucking money at things is a better way to slow down the long term spend. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

Meaning from more from there in League 2. If they spend all that and dont go up, there in the shit. 

Football isnt sustainable in general but spending wisely and not just chucking money at things is a better way to slow down the long term spend. 
    Maybe they are spending it wisely?  At the end of the day all the really matters is how long the owner, any owner, is prepared to fund it for.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s another situation like the swindon kid last year where fans went overboard because if rumours but we were never interested .. he went to Hibs and has failed to score a single goal now there looking to offload him  
  • It’s another situation like the swindon kid last year where fans went overboard because if rumours but we were never interested .. he went to Hibs and has failed to score a single goal now there looking to offload him  
    Harry McKirdy.

Probably didn't help when he got the hump at being benched and posted on instagram something that said "Chelsea, Nina, Golf, Hibs", to basically imply he doesn't give a fuck about Hibs.
  • Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Is he the big fella we need to replace Inniss?
    At 6'3" he apparently only weighs 75kgs, which is very light for that height. Your standard CB in the Premier League is around 90kgs.
    Perhaps it doesn't matter at our level, but I still feel we need a beast at the back.
    It’s probably not accurate which can be the case for lower league players. Around the time we signed Dale Stephens several sites said he was 5 ft 7 when he was about 6 ft.
    Pretty sure the websites got mixed up with Dale Jennings who was a little winger.
    Harry McKirdy had one good season in L2, Alfie May has had two back to back seasons in L1. 

The Scottish Prem is slightly better quality than L2, I'm not surprised he has struggled to get games and goals.
  • TelMc32 said:
    Didn't Lavelle win loads of awards at Morecambe?

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Was very highly rated when younger, had a few injury issues when younger held him back, but seems over them now.
    would be a very good signing. Upgrade on Innins 
    Upgrade on Lavelle, almost certainly. Upgrade on Inniss I'm really not so sure.
  • Surely the only way we're going to make a signing is if someone puts up an updated squad list?
  • I think goal scoring is a knack. It’s almost a gift and at a certain level can’t be taught. Prolific youngsters are rarely as prolific as seniors but we’re lucky to have a couple who might be gold dust. 
    My 12 year old grandson is attracting attention from club scouts, he finished last season on 27 goals and was voted player of the season across all nine teams that play in different age groups for the club. As you say it’s nothing that has been coached into him he just knows where the net is.

You must be very proud of the lad and I wish him well👏

Has he been selected for any schools district teams ?

Daniel Kanu and Ralfie Hand who are both Dartford lads played for North Kent. (I believe they started off representing NW Kent) Ralfie's dad who was a player himself in the Kent League was involved as a coach and informed me that Daniel Kanu was scoring goals for fun since he was six.

Ralfie Hand is 18 and one month older than Kanu and should be some good news very soon on his future. Unfortunately he has had too many injuries in the last two years but Cafc know he has talent so he will be given longer also.

Very hard and long journey is kids and youth development and Harry Hudson the co owner of Kenetic academy and present Sevenoaks manager was on Radio London last night doing an interview. 
    The best players played for North Kent (me, @AFKABartram and Gavin from ModMag all cut our teeth there)

I found out recently tate I went ot school with Ralfi Hand's mother!  Small world isn't it.

Out of interest @eaststandmike - who is your grandson playing for?  I might see if I can pop along and watch him (in a professional capacity)

thanks
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

And at 30 years of age, he’ll want to secure the best possible deal.  We may be a bigger club, but at the moment, we’re not a hot prospect in terms of winning medals for players, promotions and a journey to go on.  

Footballers that hit a purple patch like May has, are in a fantastic position to negotiate good deals and get offers, even more so if you’re a forward who’s delivered 20 plus goals for a struggling team.  

I wouldn’t read anything into us losing players to Gillingham or Wrexham other than money and the potential there.  

Hopefully our pending takeover will give us a stab at competing again for wages etc, and mean players see potential for success 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    cafc4life said:
    what is this obsession with us being after Ipswich rejects
    It's always been thus .... there was Captain Clean Shorts and Herman. And Danny Haynes, although he was our own reject first.  And a couple of others, I've forgotten. Plus Fraser,of course. 
    Darren Bent 
  • edited June 2023
    Never understand the meltdown people have when we ‘miss out’ on a player we were never in for 
    Well we should be. And if we are not then let's just hope we are bringing in a striker who can better 43 goals in the last 2 League 1 seasons. 

My money says we dont. 
  • Swisdom said:
    I've had a very quick look at El Mizouni - he could be VERY interesting actually.
    I had it in my head he was a lightweight little chap like Adel Tarrabt however he's 6'1" and more of a box to box midfielder.  Quite aggressive and quite direct but still decent on the ball.  I need to dig a little deeper but, from the little bits I've seen I am mildly impressed!
    I know very little about him as a player but while I do get the point when people are saying that he won't add goals or creativity (judging by his statistics) that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't improve the team. 

In theory a more mobile, box to box type player could be useful if it means that (for example) someone like Fraser is then able to focus purely on the attacking play and going forward.

Even pairing him up with Dobson could be a valid tactic, Dobson winning the ball and staying deep and someone else to receive the ball and actually carry it forwards and not resorting to perpetual long balls.

Between rumours of him and Tunnicliffe I'm genuinely getting the impression that Holden is ATTEMPTING to sign players with a system in mind, which is a positive. Less clear right now whether he'll succeed, or indeed if said system is going to work if he does... but I am optimistic that SOME lessons seem to have been learned, by SOME of those who needed to.
  • Quite a few decent and realistic players out of contact throughout the Championship and League 1.

Joe Ward - Peterborough - Now at Derby
    Archie Collins - Exeter - Now at Peterborough
    Sam Smith - Camebridge
    Josh Key - Exeter
    Sean Roughan - Lincoln
    Harvey Knibbs - Cambridge - Linked to Reading
    Curtis Nelson - Blackpool - Now at Derby
    Sean Morrison - Rotherham - New deal at Rotherham
    Callum Elder - Hull - Now at Derby
    Harlee Dean - Birmigham
    Gavin Whyte - Cardiff
    Connor Wickham - Cardiff
    Luke Berry - Luton - New deal at Luton 
    Ryan Leonard - Millwall - New deal at Millwall
    Carlos Mendes - Luton
    Tyler Walker - Coventry

Quite a few of these have been snapped up already, 3 by Derby. 
  • Was told that we had no interest in May , DH was asked if he wanted him he said no and that was that .. seemed it all come from his agent using the local press trying to drum up interest from bigger clubs .. 
    I thought you said that he had a medical & was about to sign. That was 2 weeks ago. 
    Then he was told other things, now he is told this. Not rocket science.
  • cfgs said:
    Was told that we had no interest in May , DH was asked if he wanted him he said no and that was that .. seemed it all come from his agent using the local press trying to drum up interest from bigger clubs .. 
    I thought you said that he had a medical & was about to sign. That was 2 weeks ago. 
    Then he was told other things, now he is told this. Not rocket science.
    Or is because he chats shit and makes it up as he goes along 
  • Quite a few decent and realistic players out of contact throughout the Championship and League 1.

Joe Ward - Peterborough - Now at Derby
    Archie Collins - Exeter - Now at Peterborough
    Sam Smith - Camebridge
    Josh Key - Exeter
    Sean Roughan - Lincoln
    Harvey Knibbs - Cambridge - Linked to Reading
    Curtis Nelson - Blackpool - Now at Derby
    Sean Morrison - Rotherham - New deal at Rotherham
    Callum Elder - Hull - Now at Derby
    Harlee Dean - Birmigham
    Gavin Whyte - Cardiff
    Connor Wickham - Cardiff
    Luke Berry - Luton - New deal at Luton 
    Ryan Leonard - Millwall - New deal at Millwall
    Carlos Mendes - Luton
    Tyler Walker - Coventry

Quite a few of these have been snapped up already, 3 by Derby. 
    IMO Sam Smith should be of interest to us.
  • Never understand the meltdown people have when we ‘miss out’ on a player we were never in for 
    Well we should be. And if we are not then let's just hope we are bringing in a striker who can better 43 goals in the last 2 League 1 seasons. 

My money says we dont. 
    Leaburn will be our first choice "number 9" next season, we will not bring in a 20 goal center foward because we already have one.  We will sign at least one other striker.

Now two goal scoring wide players and a goal scoring midfielder is a different matter.

But you don't sign May to sit on the bench, play in midfield or on the wing, as has been suggested.