Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Maybe Hector was given a one year contract so as not to block the path of our younger players 
    will be sold in january if we are not in top 6
    Why the fuck would anyone buy him when he’s out of contract a few months later. I understand doom and gloom but ffs.
  • edited June 2023
    All the discussion of contract length, ideal world and everything it would be better for US to have a couple of years rather than one, but we wanted Hector, or at least I did, and we don't know how the process was, but if Hector wanted one rather than two, I for one would take that over not at all and possibly losing him to another rival...re-negotiate maybe Jan if in top 6...🤷‍♂️
  • NabySarr said:
    Redhenry said:
    1 year contracts are shite FACT
    Yeah, we only had that JRS bloke for a year, what a waste that was!
    Not a waste no. But we now have to replace him.

Good luck finding a wideman/winger who is going to score us 12 goals next season. 

And the 1 year contract stuff is just like having a loan player. So we will be going into the new season with 7 or 8 of these 1 season wonders.

lets just see where we are in July 2024. Stable or squad rebuilding AGAIN
    Sam Smith free agent, can play wide right. Scored 13 last season and 15 the year before. Sorted 
    Cor, never got 1 like when I suggested him.
    Out of contract today and only 24.
  • Valley11 said:
    If he’s good and we gain promotion then he’ll likely stay. 
    He’s 31 next month and has had injury problems so this year could quite easily be an injury hit one.
    A year deal works for everyone as far as I can see. 
    Which injury problems?

• edited June 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

Good luck finding a wideman/winger who is going to score us 12 goals next season. 

And the 1 year contract stuff is just like having a loan player. So we will be going into the new season with 7 or 8 of these 1 season wonders.

What's your suggestion then? That instead of putting ourselves through the pain of only having JRS for a year we should have signed a lesser player for three years? There's a reason we were able to get a player as good as him, and it's because he's a Premier League loanee. Maybe we should just pick up players based on how long they're willing to commit? Because if we'd done that I think you miiiiiiiiiiight have whined about that too.
    Obviously we shouldn't have players like JRS, Cullen, Gallagher etc on loan because we will need to replace them next season.  I mean it's obvious isn't it?  I mean no one else uses loan players in League 1 do they? 
    Not talking about loan players - we accept that's part & parcel of League 1 football nowdays.

But signing out-of-contract players for just 1 year (and that's 2 out of 3 new signings) seems like madness to me. 

But I'm in the minority & obviously wrong. So I'll try to move on & not have this discussion next season when the 5 loanees have to be replaced along with the 5 or 6 out of contract players. 

Its like is all new & not happened before........
    Will you?
  • edited June 2023
    Redhenry said:
    Valley11 said:
    He’s 31 next month and has had injury problems so this year could quite easily be an injury hit one.

how many times!! He hasn't had injury problems...

That's the 3rd person, over two threads, that has stated it as an absolute fact in the last 24 hours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Need players that can play 40 plus league games this season. Fingers crossed for all of the squad 
  • Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redhenry said:

Sam Smith free agent, can play wide right. Scored 13 last season and 15 the year before. Sorted 

Would be a fantastic signing if we could make it happen, can also obviously play wide too if needed. 
  • edited June 2023
    It was mentioned when Hector first signed for us that after leaving Fulham he took time out to care for his father who was seriously ill. 
    I believe that he has now signed a one year deal on the understanding that we are going to make a real effort to gain promotion this season. If we don't achieve that he will be gone. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redhenry said:

Would be a fantastic signing if we could make it happen, can also obviously play wide too if needed. 
    I think we really need him. He won’t replace everything Rak-Sakyi had in terms of getting us up the pitch and creating chances or something out of nothing. That’s pretty much impossible to replace with 1 player as Rak-Sakyi was so good. But Smith in that right forward role will at least replace the goal threat we’ve lost
  • shirty5 said:
    Maybe Hector was given a one year contract so as not to block the path of our younger players 
    Or that’s all he wanted 
    It’s suits both parties , Hector will stay if we are still league one but if we get promotion then don’t think Hector is good enough for Championship 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

What's your suggestion then? That instead of putting ourselves through the pain of only having JRS for a year we should have signed a lesser player for three years? There's a reason we were able to get a player as good as him, and it's because he's a Premier League loanee. Maybe we should just pick up players based on how long they're willing to commit? Because if we'd done that I think you miiiiiiiiiiight have whined about that too.
    Obviously we shouldn't have players like JRS, Cullen, Gallagher etc on loan because we will need to replace them next season.  I mean it's obvious isn't it?  I mean no one else uses loan players in League 1 do they? 
    Not talking about loan players - we accept that's part & parcel of League 1 football nowdays.

But signing out-of-contract players for just 1 year (and that's 2 out of 3 new signings) seems like madness to me. 

But I'm in the minority & obviously wrong. So I'll try to move on & not have this discussion next season when the 5 loanees have to be replaced along with the 5 or 6 out of contract players. 

Its like is all new & not happened before........
    Before these two how many players over the last 3 years have we signed on 1 year contracts?  Yet we still have to bring in 8 or so players every summer.

The contract lengths are always wrong because they either end up here being useless and stuck on long contracts or be good and the contracts are too short.  
  • edited June 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Maybe Hector was given a one year contract so as not to block the path of our younger players 
    Or that’s all he wanted 
    It’s suits both parties , Hector will stay if we are still league one but if we get promotion then don’t think Hector is good enough for Championship 

He will be gone if we DON'T get promotion, and only in one direction...
  • Can we please change the thread title to “The Contract Length Debate” 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can we please change the thread title to “The Contract Length Debate” 
    Mines bigger than yours 😂
  • Was told that we had no interest in May , DH was asked if he wanted him he said no and that was that .. seemed it all come from his agent using the local press trying to drum up interest from bigger clubs .. 
    I thought you said that he had a medical & was about to sign. That was 2 weeks ago. 

Covered End lad said Alfie was having a medical a few weeks ago I'm not sure if Ronnie 'the scoop' Moore jumped on this band wagon 🤔
  • Following on from Shay Given giving his opinion on Charlton ownership, here is Carlton Palmer giving his opinion on a potential transfer target

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/carlton-palmer-makes-tremendous-claim-involving-ipswich-town-player-amid-derby-county-and-charlton-athletic-links/
  • Redhenry said:
    Valley11 said:

how many times!! He hasn't had injury problems...

How many more times......we're not getting promoted !
  • Swisdom said:
    fyi we are 100% looking for a box to box midfielder so could easily be El Mizouni is in the radar

A box to box midfielder need to be as fit as a butchers dog as well as some skill. Personally I was hoping that George Dobson would continue to develop his game with surging runs forward and be a League 1 version of Declan Rice. Not just the guy who sits in front of the CB'S and tackles.
    I still need convincing we are going to improve on Albie Morgan(joined a league 1 club) because he was rightly still in the team just before he left despite about 10 different players trying to replace him over the last few seasons. A couple of Matt Smith's, Kilkenny McGrandles (may still come good) Gilbey, JFC, Henry, and the wider boys in Kirk and DJ etc.

Excited to see the improved midfielder on Morgan and Sean Clare ( who came as a midfielder.)

We really need to improve to find these extra 15 points all over the park. 
  • Swisdom said:
    fyi we are 100% looking for a box to box midfielder so could easily be El Mizouni is in the radar

A box to box midfielder need to be as fit as a butchers dog as well as some skill. Personally I was hoping that George Dobson would continue to develop his game with surging runs forward and be a League 1 version of Declan Rice. Not just the guy who sits in front of the CB'S and tackles.
    I still need convincing we are going to improve on Albie Morgan(joined a league 1 club) because he was rightly still in the team just before he left despite about 10 different players trying to replace him over the last few seasons. A couple of Matt Smith's, Kilkenny McGrandles (may still come good) Gilbey, JFC, Henry, and the wider boys in Kirk and DJ etc.

Excited to see the improved midfielder on Morgan and Sean Clare ( who came as a midfielder.)

We really need to improve to find these extra 15 points all over the park. 
    If we can't improve on Morgan we are in the shit.
  • Was told that we had no interest in May , DH was asked if he wanted him he said no and that was that .. seemed it all come from his agent using the local press trying to drum up interest from bigger clubs .. 
    I thought you said that he had a medical & was about to sign. That was 2 weeks ago. 

Covered End lad said Alfie was having a medical a few weeks ago I'm not sure if Ronnie 'the scoop' Moore jumped on this band wagon 🤔
    In fairness I was told “May is booked in” I had taken that to be a medical given the source but it seems he was just shown around the training ground
    Have u heard much recently regarding transfers ?
  • edited June 2023
    Welcome back Michael. Sorry to hear that your agent could not find you a better club.

I can't join the 22 in LOL'S this as that is exactly what happens between an agent and his client. 

Lukaku's agent was making a big deal about Poch phoning the big striker about coming back to the bridge as he wanted him as soon as he crossed the T and dotted the i on his Chelsea's managers contract (about 2 weeks before it was announced but it was common knowledge that Pochettino was taking over) Then despite Lukaku emulating a poor League 1 striker against City his agent then realized there could be a bigger cut if he goes to the middle East !

Football is bonkers and that's why if you think your ITK you really don't know the full picture. Still good to hear the gossip🗣️