Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    No new ✍️ through the 🚪 as had been suggested this week @dubaicafc even I’m starting to get a bit fidgety and pissed off 😬 
    Aged well mate 
    Dubai screenshotted this for the comeback later, big respects from me, the sort of thing I’d do.  
  • That is centre back well and truly taken care of then, building from the back it seems and we also have plenty of aerial threat.  Got to prioritise replacing JRS now.
  • When is Sessegnon signing...🤔
  • Does this mean we’ve actually paid a fee for a player 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Does this mean we’ve actually paid a fee for a player 
    He was out of contract - May not be involved tomorrow, as he's still a Cheltenham player till the 1st July

Depends how pedantic clubs are with these Contracts.
  • He’s free to play tomorrow I’d imagine as his Cambridge contract ended today.
  • edited June 2023
    cfgs said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    He was out of contract - May not be involved tomorrow, as he's still a Cheltenham player till the 1st July

Tomorrow is the 1st and I gather you mean Cambridge.
    So he will be 15 hours into his Charlton Athletic career at kick off then...✅
  • Sponsored links:

• He’s free to play tomorrow I’d imagine as his Cambridge contract ended today.
    It did. Contracts expire on 30th June.

• cfgs said:
    CH4RLTON said:

15 hours into his Charlton career and 15 minutes from his season ending injury
  • edited June 2023
  • edited June 2023
  • Great minds think alike.
  • Think that’s our centre backs sorted?

Now for a couple of full backs to compete with Egbo, a box to box midfielder, and three players who can play across the front three positions: a winger, a forward and a utility option who can play wide or central.
  • Are we signing players as we move up the pitch? Goalie first, then defenders, it worries me we’re leaving the forward players til last 😰
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2023
    A few days ago I was 10% happy with progress so far (keeper signed). 
    Hector moved me up to 20%. 
    Jonesy signing means I’m 30% happy. 
    It’s good to get the core of the defence sorted first.
    Not all signings will add 10%, but I think these are decent acquisitions. 
  • cfgs said:
    CH4RLTON said:

15 hours into his Charlton career and 15 minutes from his season ending injury

Please,.. let him get in the building before we write him off eh...🙄
  • The signing of Lloyd Jones looks very good business. A friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Cambridge and he rates him highly - a very good defender and very comfortable on the ball. 

I don’t think we’ll be getting Sam Smith - he’s a Mancunian and the suggestion was that he was likely to end up going up north, although I suppose you never know.
  • Interesting that we've started with sorting the keeper and defence. Nothing wrong with the old football principle that you start by building the foundations at the back.
  • edited June 2023
    Blucher said:
    The signing of Lloyd Jones looks very good business. A friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Cambridge and he rates him highly - a very good defender and very comfortable on the ball. 

I don’t think we’ll be getting Sam Smith - he’s a Mancunian and the suggestion was that he was likely to end up going up north, although I suppose you never know.
    Sam Smith was more hope than anything. The other 2 we're actually interested in/trying to get. 
  • edited June 2023
    are we collectively starting to calm down a bit now...? seems like we are starting from the back and working forwards...? 2 weeks since the window opened, two signings, and a couple of decent consolidating re-hires - i'll take one a week for the next month and a cheeky few loans around opening day
  • Blucher said:
    The signing of Lloyd Jones looks very good business. A friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Cambridge and he rates him highly - a very good defender and very comfortable on the ball. 

Get Sam Smith in next and we’ve got Lloyd Sam!
  • Interesting that we've started with sorting the keeper and defence. Nothing wrong with the old football principle that you start by building the foundations at the back.
    Not sure if we are deliberately sorting the defence first or pure chance that the initial signings/contracts just all happen to be defensive but either way it's a good sign.

Even last year it was rarely that the defence was bad for 90 minutes at a time but we had a bad habit of stupid mistakes or over-complicating basic rules and paying for it.

Activity does suggest that 1) Holden has identified a flaw in the team and 2) is actually being consulted/listened to in terms of sorting it.

We need to see new blood and talent in more attacking roles still but 4 signings/new contracts in and they've all been fairly decent at least... I'm starting to feel cautiously optimistic here.
  • At least this has stopped the arguing about Hector, which was getting boring
  • also, I would add that scoring goals last season wasn't the issue with us, it was always the defence. I appreciate and respect that we have identified that was the big weak point from last season and nailed down recruitment in that area first so that they all have the opportunity to create partnerships and understandings in our pre season. 

I know people are upset we haven't signed a marquee centre forward yet, but last season showed there was goals all over this team. Probably a hot take to say, but i'm starting to trust DH with his selections.