Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I was expecting Methven to announce this, not Cawley. Now we know who the real takeover agent is!
  • Worth noting that Cheltenham played a 3-5-2 last year with two attacking full backs as the wide players in the 5 so likely switching between 3-5-2 in possesion to 5-3-2 out of posession. I think we could see this ourselves a fair amount this year, would certainly give May the best chance of replicating his previous season's form.
    Hopefully he is aware that he might play left wing back here too. You have to be flexible at former Premier league greats.
  • J BLOCK said:

Did you mean to type a J in that block?
  • I’m genuinely not digging you out @DubaiCAFC but can I ask why you’ve been saying May wasn’t a target and that Holden didn’t want him? Have things changed since the start of the summer? Missed another target?
  • Plaaayer said:
    As I said 2 months ago May was someone we’ve been after since the season ended, not sure why people have been saying Holden wasn’t a fan. 
    Because Methven was briefing it to deflect from their own resistance to it, in the same way they briefed the takeover troubles were all Sandgaard. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The whole does Holden want him or not has been incredibly tedious over the last few months. He's signed therefore he wants him, if he didn't then either Holden didn't want him or we couldn't get him for whatever reason. Not that hard to understand! 
  • Plaaayer said:
    As I said 2 months ago May was someone we’ve been after since the season ended, not sure why people have been saying Holden wasn’t a fan. 
    From what is being implied, seems more like the new owners were not fans (due to age or whatever other reason) but rather than say so they did a bit of "spin" to make it sound more like Holden was being backed with his "actual" targets rather than obstructed. 

It sounds exhausting and weirdly complicated to me but I think that those passing the "not Holden's choice" line were probably mostly doing so in good faith. Unfortunately they were not being given the honest facts in the first place.

Still, if this means that somehow Holden is now actually the decision maker on transfers and targets etc then I have to see that as a positive, for now.
  • Worth noting that Cheltenham played a 3-5-2 last year with two attacking full backs as the wide players in the 5 so likely switching between 3-5-2 in possesion to 5-3-2 out of posession. I think we could see this ourselves a fair amount this year, would certainly give May the best chance of replicating his previous season's form.
    I’m expecting the same. Blackett-Taylor played wing-back against Welling so I’m expecting to see him played there this season with hopefully a new left wing back signed up. Along with a LWB a RCM has also got to be a priority. If we get those 2 signings right then we have a brilliant first 11

It’s good news for Mitchell or Deji, I think one will be loaned out but the other will be backup RCB with more opportunities if we are playing a 3. Good news for Kanu also as I think he’s ready if we are playing 2 up top 

Not sure how this will help Tyreece Campbell though, could he be converted to an attacking wing back, or just used as an impact sub? Or will we see a bit of a 3-4-2-1 like against welling where TC and May play just off Leaburn 
  • Holden seems to me to know what he is doing so we need to trust and back him and the team that goes out on the pitch needs to be his team. He has had long enough to see what is needed and it is looking like he is being backed which is exciting. It isn't a complex template, get the right manager and back him as far as you can. Don't force players on him or tell him how to play.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I’m genuinely not digging you out @DubaiCAFC but can I ask why you’ve been saying May wasn’t a target and that Holden didn’t want him? Have things changed since the start of the summer? Missed another target?
    Missed out on another target, and then Leaburn injury as well.
    May was always really keen. 

Let’s just hope he is as good as the Charlton fans are hyping him up to be.
    Not sure we missed out more then the club in question ( believed to be Peterbro ) was asking phone numbers for the player in question 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cawley saying no fee involved for Wollacott or Lavelle
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I’m genuinely not digging you out @DubaiCAFC but can I ask why you’ve been saying May wasn’t a target and that Holden didn’t want him? Have things changed since the start of the summer? Missed another target?
    Missed out on another target, and then Leaburn injury as well.
    May was always really keen. 

Let’s just hope he is as good as the Charlton fans are hyping him up to be.
    Do u know who the other target was?
  • Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    TEL said:
    We all have opinions about players but I think in this day and age all the stuff posted on social media is a tad out of control.

I think people forget that these people being publicly ridiculed are human beings the same as us.
    I wonder how they would feel if someone posted up all their poor performances or errors from the office, building site, workplace on Facebook and Twitter. 

It's fair to say if someone had a poor game if it's constructive, but all the personal stuff is out of order. 

Just saying. 
    The thread about Chucks isn’t much better 
    I don't agree with certain comments on that thread, but there's a massive difference between discussing players on message board threads, and putting nasty comments on social media accounts of the players.

Charlton Life is where fans can "privately" discuss players, whereas if you put a comment on a player's social media account, that's directly aimed at them.
    I’m not in ITK when it comes to transfers, ownership etc but pretty well connected with some current and mostly past players which stems from mixed social circles, schools & football teams we all played for as kids/teens. 

It’s not BS although it sounds it so I understand if people don’t believe me but absolutely no need for me to make it up.
    I know for a fact players check this forum and also that Chucks was explicitly told to avoid social media and Charlton forums with threads about him - despite some positive comments because it wasn’t good for him to see. This is coming from a former GK of ours who I catch up with every couple of months. 
    I’m not saying every fan should be overly positive etc, but some of the crap in there is ridiculous and wished some thought before they write what they do (in the past, I wished I have done the same thing when I was in my early 20’s) but some of this is from full grown adults. 
    I am fiercely defensive of players suffering with injuries that are being openly mocked or accused of “stealing a living” when no one knows how tough it is for players sometimes despite their wages.
    Apologies for going off topic in the transfer rumours chat as I’m one of the first to moan however I felt like I needed to reply. 
    Makes sense as Chuks has comments turned off on his Instagram. Pretty depressing when you get to a stage of so many shitty and nasty comments you end up having to do that.
  • Tbh I have no idea about May but his scoring record in the last couple of years suggests he’s what might be termed as a proven striker in this division - we needed to sign 1 this time last year - apparently it was impossible as people said they were either too good or not good enough or some other such nonsense - we need at least 1 more proven striker added this year still as can’t rely on any of ML, CA or DK for various reasons - happy with the business done so far, need to do a lot more of it still 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    TEL said:
    We all have opinions about players but I think in this day and age all the stuff posted on social media is a tad out of control.

I think people forget that these people being publicly ridiculed are human beings the same as us.
    I wonder how they would feel if someone posted up all their poor performances or errors from the office, building site, workplace on Facebook and Twitter. 

It's fair to say if someone had a poor game if it's constructive, but all the personal stuff is out of order. 

Just saying. 
    The thread about Chucks isn’t much better 
    I don't agree with certain comments on that thread, but there's a massive difference between discussing players on message board threads, and putting nasty comments on social media accounts of the players.

Charlton Life is where fans can "privately" discuss players, whereas if you put a comment on a player's social media account, that's directly aimed at them.
    I’m not in ITK when it comes to transfers, ownership etc but pretty well connected with some current and mostly past players which stems from mixed social circles, schools & football teams we all played for as kids/teens. 

It’s not BS although it sounds it so I understand if people don’t believe me but absolutely no need for me to make it up.
    I know for a fact players check this forum and also that Chucks was explicitly told to avoid social media and Charlton forums with threads about him - despite some positive comments because it wasn’t good for him to see. This is coming from a former GK of ours who I catch up with every couple of months. 
    I’m not saying every fan should be overly positive etc, but some of the crap in there is ridiculous and wished some thought before they write what they do (in the past, I wished I have done the same thing when I was in my early 20’s) but some of this is from full grown adults. 
    I am fiercely defensive of players suffering with injuries that are being openly mocked or accused of “stealing a living” when no one knows how tough it is for players sometimes despite their wages.
    Apologies for going off topic in the transfer rumours chat as I’m one of the first to moan however I felt like I needed to reply. 
    That's honestly really bleak to hear. It must be tough enough for Chuks not being able to fully engage with his career without people yelling online about how he should just retire because it's costing the club money to employ him. I think there's a huge difference between criticising a player for a poor performance or an error but when people are abusing players personally it becomes ridiculous. Social media has always created polarisation but the number of times on a post-match thread you'll see someone say that they 'never want to see x player in a Charlton shirt again' because they put in one bad performance or gave away a goal has been increasing every season I reckon. Now players get booed at games if they played for us and left, even if they were made to leave by the club. I think social media, Twitter in particular, has just completely made a lot of fans forget that footballers are human beings.
  • Croydon said:
    Cawley saying no fee involved for Wollacott or Lavelle
    Doesn't surprise me... Reality of Football Finances in the Lower reaches of the EFL

We've got them off the wage bill, thats probably good enough.
    Additional benefit - Sandgaard doesn't get to take the money and run.