Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Freddie Lapado was the player I understand, but Ipswich unwilling to sell now.
    Wonder if they'll sell Ladapo to us instead?
  • mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I’m genuinely not digging you out @DubaiCAFC but can I ask why you’ve been saying May wasn’t a target and that Holden didn’t want him? Have things changed since the start of the summer? Missed another target?
    Missed out on another target, and then Leaburn injury as well.
    May was always really keen. 

Let’s just hope he is as good as the Charlton fans are hyping him up to be.
    I'd probably look at his record of scoring 20+ goals in the past 2 seasons, rather than reference Charlton fan's "hype".
    Our record of signing strikers with good records previously isn’t great. Varney, Ajose, Izle McLoed to name a couple.

I hope it does work out, I really do. But not getting too high about the signing, until he performs. 

Only one in recent years I remember doing well off the back of a good season was BWP in recent years 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Perhaps one that may become available later in the window if Ipswich manage to pick up their own targets I assume. 
    Maybe. And hopefully. But let’s see
  • Oggy Red said:
    supaclive said:
    Noted from @Henry Irving that the 'new owners' were blocking the move for May but that Holden wanted him all Summer.

May was not seen as having a sell on value.  Holden sees him as having a right now value.

In Dean we need to trust.  I hope he wins his battles to get the team he wants, not the black box and not the 'non football ' people..... the accountant, the PR spin guy......etc
    Holden has been saying all summer that promotion is the aim and top 6 the minimum required.

He's not so concerned about signing players with future re-sale value, it's about building a successful team now.

To Holden it's all about this season. 

Easy for me to say as not my money but this is exactly what we should be doing - transfer market is primarily for bringing in what you need now - academy is where investment for future should be spent - bonne is about the only investment type signing that I can remember paying off in recent times - Darren Bent the last one I can think of 
  • Redhenry said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I’m genuinely not digging you out @DubaiCAFC but can I ask why you’ve been saying May wasn’t a target and that Holden didn’t want him? Have things changed since the start of the summer? Missed another target?

Do u know who the other target was?
    Clarke-Harris - it’s Peterborough that want telephone numbers for him. I understand we enquired 

• DubaiCAFC said:
    We don't want to buy him, just borrow him for the season.

C'mon Ipswich, go and sign a promising Prem youngster instead - and loan us Ladapo.
    You know it makes sense.  :)

• Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Got to laugh at the ITK Reams. He has got a lot right in fairness. But has said May had a medical four Fridays ago, then said we definitely had NOT put a bid in, then magically last night after Cawley broke the news he ‘just had a call’ and then knew the deal was happening and he ‘couldn’t break confidentiality’ despite posting 2 mins before saying ‘no bid’ again… got to laugh. 

Now it’s ‘a player has failed a medical, but talks ongoing’… you’ve failed your medical so let’s keep discussing it 😂
    If you read what Henry Irving has said, the new owners were blocking the move. Not so surprising that Reams was adamant that we were not after him given his links to the new owners, is it?
    Fans who post what they are hearing is interesting to many fans on here and other forums and most of us accept that the information could be correct at the time, but can and will change as this is the nature of things.
    Nasty ill informed piss taking could result in them giving up which would be a real shame.
    I think you owe him an apology. 
    My understanding is he was put to DH and DH wanted to look at other options. My only conclusion from that is the other options we're not available 
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    I would also assume that May has been accelerated due to Leaburn getting injured. I would hope there is another forward in later in the window, once the takeover goes through. As currently May walks in as the only fit striker and we all know how Charlton’s luck goes when you only have one fit player in any given position.
    More than one, hopefully. One permanent and maybe one PL/Championship loan (probably one described as "versatile"), unless Miles is going to be out longer term in which case two permanent forwards needed so he can actually recover properly.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I'd probably look at his record of scoring 20+ goals in the past 2 seasons, rather than reference Charlton fan's "hype".
    Our record of signing strikers with good records previously isn’t great. Varney, Ajose, Izle McLoed to name a couple.

I hope it does work out, I really do. But not getting too high about the signing, until he performs. 

Only one in recent years I remember doing well off the back of a good season was BWP in recent years 
    Lyle Taylor
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Thanks @DubaiCAFC
  • Thanks for that @DubaiCAFC , makes sense for Ipswich to be quoting high if they haven't got replacements in yet of their own. 
  • If Miles is going to be out until mid August, he will also have missed out on a chunk of the pre-season so may not be firing on all cylinders until the end of that month.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Lyle Taylor
    Forgot about him
    Hopefully if/when we sign May he has a season more like Taylor than Ajose!
  • Hoping that Leaburn's injury presses home the need for more than one striker, but if May is only coming in as Ladapo is a no go, I worry that's not the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Miles is going to be out until mid August, he will also have missed out on a chunk of the pre-season so may not be firing on all cylinders until the end of that month.
    for some reason I fear it may be longer
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Lyle Taylor
    Rather mucks up the no dickheads policy, wouldn’t it?
  • I worry Ladapo will end up at Derby later in the window…..to renunite with his former boss.

Hopefully he’d prefer a move to London if he does become available. Definitely need another striker even with May on board.
    I was hoping he'd want to join his brother here. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Lyle Taylor
    Forgot about him
    Hopefully if/when we sign May he has a season more like Taylor than Ajose!

May isn't a one season wonder for a start 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    TEL said:
    We all have opinions about players but I think in this day and age all the stuff posted on social media is a tad out of control.

I think people forget that these people being publicly ridiculed are human beings the same as us.
    I wonder how they would feel if someone posted up all their poor performances or errors from the office, building site, workplace on Facebook and Twitter. 

It's fair to say if someone had a poor game if it's constructive, but all the personal stuff is out of order. 

Just saying. 
    The thread about Chucks isn’t much better 
    I don't agree with certain comments on that thread, but there's a massive difference between discussing players on message board threads, and putting nasty comments on social media accounts of the players.

Charlton Life is where fans can "privately" discuss players, whereas if you put a comment on a player's social media account, that's directly aimed at them.
    I’m not in ITK when it comes to transfers, ownership etc but pretty well connected with some current and mostly past players which stems from mixed social circles, schools & football teams we all played for as kids/teens. 

It’s not BS although it sounds it so I understand if people don’t believe me but absolutely no need for me to make it up.
    I know for a fact players check this forum and also that Chucks was explicitly told to avoid social media and Charlton forums with threads about him - despite some positive comments because it wasn’t good for him to see. This is coming from a former GK of ours who I catch up with every couple of months. 
    I’m not saying every fan should be overly positive etc, but some of the crap in there is ridiculous and wished some thought before they write what they do (in the past, I wished I have done the same thing when I was in my early 20’s) but some of this is from full grown adults. 
    I am fiercely defensive of players suffering with injuries that are being openly mocked or accused of “stealing a living” when no one knows how tough it is for players sometimes despite their wages.
    Apologies for going off topic in the transfer rumours chat as I’m one of the first to moan however I felt like I needed to reply. 
    That's honestly really bleak to hear. It must be tough enough for Chuks not being able to fully engage with his career without people yelling online about how he should just retire because it's costing the club money to employ him. I think there's a huge difference between criticising a player for a poor performance or an error but when people are abusing players personally it becomes ridiculous. Social media has always created polarisation but the number of times on a post-match thread you'll see someone say that they 'never want to see x player in a Charlton shirt again' because they put in one bad performance or gave away a goal has been increasing every season I reckon. Now players get booed at games if they played for us and left, even if they were made to leave by the club. I think social media, Twitter in particular, has just completely made a lot of fans forget that footballers are human beings.
    Any players I talk to are advised to avoid all social media if possible.  And if they do post something to not read the replies.  I dread to think how much it would affect a young player not yet fully trained im all aspect of social media
  • sam3110 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That's not "missing out on a target" really, is it?

So much spin 
    agree, like saying we missed out on Mason Mount.
  • Diablo’s gone quiet, is he up to mischief elsewhere or training with the lads?
  • edited July 2023
    sam3110 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

So much spin 
    Is if he was your number 1 target and was told would be available.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

So much spin 
    Is if he was your number 1 target and was told would be available.
    Not too dissimilar to when we got Cullen back on loan. We only got told he was available a couple of days prior to us signing him