Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Scoham said:
    One for @golfaddick here… Holden confirms we want to sign a striker, and we want different types to give us different types of threats. Miles doesn’t need an operation and can work in the gym while he’s out.
    Think it will be the Exeter lad ?
  • Ladapo would be my choice
    Ipswich  not prepared to sell him at the moment 

• no mention of timescale regarding Chuks.
    Don't hold your breath on this one.  :#
  • Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    How I see it:
    We should bring in Sessegnon, Edun, a right winger, another central midfielder and 2 strikers to come in, Kirk/DJ out, Kanu and Elewere to get league 2 loans til Jan. 

Isted, AMB
    Egbo, Sessegnon (Asiimwe)
    Ness, Hector, Lloyd, Thomas, Mitchell (Elewere)
    Edun, Chin (Roddy)
    Dobson, Fraser, McGrandles, Henry, New (Anderson)
    New, Campbell, CBT, Payne, Kirk/DJ
    May, Leaburn, New, New (Kanu)

Bracketed players are youth to be used in the future/in emergencies. That's 24 players, with multiple players being able to cover different positions, like Thomas at left back, CBT at wing back, Payne playing in the middle or wide, Sess on either wing, Mitchell stepping into midfield etc. Etc.

I think that's achievable, and reasonable, it's not a squad that will Piss The League™ but it should be a solid grounding, as long as the new players in question are of a quality that improves us

I'd expect 4 of those players to be loans
    Not a million miles off but I think it’s looking like we’re going to play 352 so no need at all to have a new winger on top of Campbell, CBT, Payne and one of Kirk or DJ. Prefer another CB and CM as that midfield doesn't look particularly strong.
    Yeah seeing that midfield written down it is majorly lacking. Not sure Henry is ready to play a massive part in the league.

Roddy should also be nowhere near the first team under any circumstances.
    Clayden miles better than Roddy.
  • Ladapo would be my choice
    He would be ideal, but he’s Ipswich’s only striker at the moment so no chance they let him go until they’ve bought in 2 or 3 of their own. We need a strong start to the season and now Leaburn is injured I think we should get someone in earlier 
  • Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    How I see it:
    We should bring in Sessegnon, Edun, a right winger, another central midfielder and 2 strikers to come in, Kirk/DJ out, Kanu and Elewere to get league 2 loans til Jan. 

Isted, AMB
    Edun, Chin (Roddy)

Bracketed players are youth to be used in the future/in emergencies. That's 24 players, with multiple players being able to cover different positions, like Thomas at left back, CBT at wing back, Payne playing in the middle or wide, Sess on either wing, Mitchell stepping into midfield etc. Etc.

I think that's achievable, and reasonable, it's not a squad that will Piss The League™ but it should be a solid grounding, as long as the new players in question are of a quality that improves us

Not a million miles off but I think it’s looking like we’re going to play 352 so no need at all to have a new winger on top of Campbell, CBT, Payne and one of Kirk or DJ. Prefer another CB and CM as that midfield doesn't look particularly strong.
    Yeah seeing that midfield written down it is majorly lacking. Not sure Henry is ready to play a massive part in the league.

• Ferryman said:
    Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    How I see it:

Isted, AMB
    Edun, Chin (Roddy)

They play in different positions though?
    Would it make a difference? Even if they said he was back in training today, i wouldn't be entirely confident he'd make training tomorrow.
  • Scoham said:
    One for @golfaddick here… Holden confirms we want to sign a striker, and we want different types to give us different types of threats. Miles doesn’t need an operation and can work in the gym while he’s out.
    Think it will be the Exeter lad ?
    Why was it in the Plymouth Herald?
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be surprised if it was Nombe or Ladapo , think they are both ones that would need significant moves from their current clubs.

Could see it being a free agent potentially, not really anyone sticking out on Transfermarkts free agent section. Likes of Sean Maguire that was at Preston has been injured a lot , Lucas João is on there but I can't see him dropping to League 1. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Would be surprised if it was Nombe or Ladapo , think they are both ones that would need significant moves from their current clubs.

Could see it being a free agent potentially, not really anyone sticking out on Transfermarkts free agent section. Likes of Sean Maguire that was at Preston has been injured a lot , Lucas João is on there but I can't see him dropping to League 1. 
    Agree.

We already have Alfie May and (when fit) Leaburn. Can't see us getting another "top" striker and we wont be playing all 3 at once. Most likely an older head who doesn't mind playing back up / on the subs bench. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Would be surprised if it was Nombe or Ladapo , think they are both ones that would need significant moves from their current clubs.

Agree.

We already have Alfie May and (when fit) Leaburn. Can't see us getting another "top" striker and we wont be playing all 3 at once. Most likely an older head who doesn't mind playing back up / on the subs bench. 

I think it's either an older head from a championship side or a PL U23 loan that they're happy to get experience at this level. Can't see us paying another fee for a striker really, think any fees will be on midfielders and fullbacks.
    Would it make a difference? Even if they said he was back in training today, i wouldn't be entirely confident he'd make training tomorrow.
    His contract’s up in June 2025, that’s the only timescale he’s working toward currently 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Agree.

Think it is worth getting another "Top" striker in as we have already seen, injuries occur.  Competition is good and healthy and will push players. 

Plus, Leaburn cant be expected to play week in week out, he is still young and had a high chance of burnout.  
    And there will be games when we change shape, Miles can play across the front line in a 433 for example.
  • MarcusH26 said:

Agree.

I've stepped off a train into the fcking twilight zone.

With Aneke and sadly, possibly mile's injury occurrences any older head back up striker happy to sit in a bench will be shocked to find himself playing regularly. 

We really need another top one in, a decent loan forward probably out best bet.

• Sponsored links:

• We need at least one other ‘top’ striker to compliment May and Leaburn then perhaps a youngster as a loanee. I’m discounting Chuks entirely and Kanu needs a season out on loan before being under consideration.

Why would there be. Not sure why you jumped on that one so quickly...
  • I'd love to sign another big name striker, but I reckon the signing will be a Sanogo/Mavididi style signing, or a Ricardo Fuller/Jason Euell 2.0 type, someone who comes in as an older head 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Agree.

If we sign another top striker, maybe leaburn becomes the back up. He is only 19 and needs to develop in areas
  • Leaburn needs nurturing and should be used sparingly, once back from another spell out.

Any team that is seriously looking to get out of this pony league will be loading up on strikers. This will be a big tell on the new owners ambitions, I reckon.
  • Watched all 17 of Nombe’s goal last season and to be honest I’m not overly impressed. Looks very much to me like a league one striker. I know you can argue that’s where we are but his goals to me were mostly scruffy or very fortunate. Strong lad no doubt but comparing his goals to those we saw from Alfie May is comparing apples and pears. Hope we get Sam Smith personally or Ladapo but I guess waiting to see if Ipswich make him available later in the window is a risky strategy. 
  • Funny because I’ve never been impressed by Ladapo either.

I’d push the boat out and go for out of favour Cauley Woodrow or Clarke-Harris.
  • Problem with this new striker signing is, how do you convince someone with any real quality to come in - knowing that chances are they will play second fiddle to Miles once he’s fit again?
  • edited July 2023
    I don’t think we’ll get JCH but there doesn’t seem to be clubs falling over to sign him. Doesn’t his contract only have a year to run ? They’ll lose him for nothing next summer and his fee will go down in January. I think it’ll take a bid probably outside of our spending power but I wouldn’t 100% rule out Peterborough playing ball rather than lose out completely.