Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• So Hector Jones Ness Thomas and Mitchell (perhaps Elerewe)  are what we are going with? We cannot be playing three at the back with only 3 experienced centre backs on the books surely? 2 x CBs in a back four, can buy what is being reported but if 3 x CBs doesn’t make sense to me…
  • nagAddick said:
    I think we need a left footed CB
    We've just signed one, Lloyd Jones.  ;)

• So Hector Jones Ness Thomas and Mitchell (perhaps Elerewe)  are what we are going with? We cannot be playing three at the back with only 3 experienced centre backs on the books surely? 2 x CBs in a back four, can buy what is being reported but if 3 x CBs doesn’t make sense to me…
    It’s a lot easier for a young centre back to come in and play in a back 3. I think Deji and Mitchell are both ready. Plus if we have injuries we can always change to a back 4 
  • nagAddick said:
    They are really difficult to find though and because of that can be expensive if they are good. Jones played on the left of a back 3 for Cambridge, Ness did for us last season and Thomas is very comfortable on the left so I don’t think it’s a huge issue 
  • Lack of a left footed centre back will matter less if we sign a left footed left back. We did look unbalanced at times down that side with so many naturally right footed players down the left side of our team. 

My memory ain’t what it used to be, but the only noteworthy left footed centre backs I remember playing for us, going back to the late 80s, are Sarr and Pearce. 
  • edited July 2023
    I like Asiimwe a lot and would rate bringing back Sess too. Would still ideally want a left footed option for that left wing though, whether it’s Edun or someone else entirely.

They talk about having two options for every position and I think Asiimwe is doing enough to force himself into the conversation to cover full back.
  • When certain teams come to The Valley, sit deep and play only one striker up top, I’d have thought we’d only want to go with two central defenders, as opposed to three.
  • edited July 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    I seriously hope we're not planning on playing our wingers at wingback this season
    We are not, as per RC:

No more CBs to come in, but still actively looking for FBs (both sides). Probably at least one Sessegnon type who can play either side in a pinch (personal speculation not a rumour.)
    So are we planning to let DJ, CBT, Kirk and Campbell all go? If so, there is a lot of business left to be done. Can't imagine we're planning to have a squad stuffed with enough players for two systems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think only two of those will depart.
  • edited July 2023
    Think only two of those will depart.
    Then presumably the others may be deployed at wingback
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    I seriously hope we're not planning on playing our wingers at wingback this season
    We are not, as per RC:

No more CBs to come in, but still actively looking for FBs (both sides). Probably at least one Sessegnon type who can play either side in a pinch (personal speculation not a rumour.)
    So are we planning to let DJ, CBT, Kirk and Campbell all go? If so, there is a lot of business left to be done. Can't imagine we're planning to have a squad stuffed with enough players for two systems.
    I'd expect of those CBT and Campbell to spend a lot time at WB, though I think Holden will also want to play 343 when he can and get Campbell forward. Kirk will play up front if no-one will take him. I don't expect to see much of DJ
  • Chunes said:
    CBT at an extreme push but none of the others. 
  • Chunes said:
    Blackett-Taylor at wing back is ok, especially for games against teams that will set up to defend. He did well there under Jackson, but we do need a first choice option. Kirk played alright as a striker last season so if he stays that will be his role 

Campbell is the one I’m not sure on, could he maybe play as a 10 behind the 2 strikers? Was picking up more central positions against welling and drifting around left and right. Don’t want him at wing back and don’t think he’s got the finishing to play as a striker, so it might have to be more of an impact sub role for him now 
  • Scott Malone would be decent for LWB
  • nagAddick said:
    That what Jones is 
  • nagAddick said:
    That what Jones is 
    He’s right footed, but can play on the left 
  • Wouldn't be confident of CBT at wingback, feel like him and Campbell will be impact subs at most , DJ will go and Kirk I really can't tell what will happen. 
  • I think we’d like to offload Kirk and DJ but doubt we’re having much success. I would imagine it would be easier to move on CBT and I’m sure that’s an option if the right bid comes in. Wouldn’t rule out other outgoings either. I’m guessing quite a few clubs are looking at Dobson. Doubt it’s DH’s first best option but if it means other targets are then doable I wouldn’t rule it out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    We are not, as per RC:

True. I think to a certain extent it will be market driven, so which of those go will basically be whichever we can find someone to take. CBT looks most likely to get a substantive fee, Campbell would hopefully only be a loan but we shall see.
  • Wasn't there a bid from Wigan for CBT on deadline day in Jan? 
  • How much would people want for CBT ?
  • edited July 2023
    nagAddick said:
    How much would people want for CBT ?
    I’d take 500k if it was reinvested in one or two more players…

We don’t have a desperate need to sell (I think) and if it’s a Championship club bidding, that shouldn’t be outside of their budget.

If it’s a League One competitor we want them paying over the odds because on his day he’s a very dangerous player.
  • edited July 2023
    Lack of a left footed centre back will matter less if we sign a left footed left back. We did look unbalanced at times down that side with so many naturally right footed players down the left side of our team. 

My memory ain’t what it used to be, but the only noteworthy left footed centre backs I remember playing for us, going back to the late 80s, are Sarr and Pearce. 
    Good point. Ideally we might sign two left footed defenders with one who can fill in at LCB.

Of the left footed centre backs in the last 40 years Richard Wood is left footed and although not note worthy for us. He has proved his worth with Rotherham.

Akin Fanewo ,Harry Lennon , Miguel Llera and very briefly Chris Whyte are other examples. Mark Aizlewood also liked to play Centre Back. Tommy Caton and Colin Pates were other lefties although the most noteworthy example is probably Herman Hreidersson.
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Blackett-Taylor at wing back is ok, especially for games against teams that will set up to defend. He did well there under Jackson, but we do need a first choice option. Kirk played alright as a striker last season so if he stays that will be his role 

Campbell is the one I’m not sure on, could he maybe play as a 10 behind the 2 strikers? Was picking up more central positions against welling and drifting around left and right. Don’t want him at wing back and don’t think he’s got the finishing to play as a striker, so it might have to be more of an impact sub role for him now 
    I remember him doing OK, but not defensively. I remember all wingers struggling with their stamina and getting up and down the line all game. None of them looked like a convincing part of the unit at wingback. 

My biggest concern is starting a new season with a plan to play people out of their natural positions. That seems like it's asking for trouble.  
  • It’s going to depend on how often we play 3-5-2 vs 3-4-3.

Being on the shorter side, can May play the spearhead role alongside CBT and Campbell in a front three for instance?

Either way, we definitely need left wing back reinforced. I would not be enthused with the idea of CBT playing that role, even as cover.