Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    How I see it:
    We should bring in Sessegnon, Edun, a right winger, another central midfielder and 2 strikers to come in, Kirk/DJ out, Kanu and Elewere to get league 2 loans til Jan. 

Isted, AMB
    Egbo, Sessegnon (Asiimwe)
    Ness, Hector, Lloyd, Thomas, Mitchell (Elewere)
    Edun, Chin (Roddy)
    Dobson, Fraser, McGrandles, Henry, New (Anderson)
    New, Campbell, CBT, Payne, Kirk/DJ
    May, Leaburn, New, New (Kanu)

Bracketed players are youth to be used in the future/in emergencies. That's 24 players, with multiple players being able to cover different positions, like Thomas at left back, CBT at wing back, Payne playing in the middle or wide, Sess on either wing, Mitchell stepping into midfield etc. Etc.

I think that's achievable, and reasonable, it's not a squad that will Piss The League™ but it should be a solid grounding, as long as the new players in question are of a quality that improves us

I'd expect 4 of those players to be loans
    Not a million miles off but I think it’s looking like we’re going to play 352 so no need at all to have a new winger on top of Campbell, CBT, Payne and one of Kirk or DJ. Prefer another CB and CM as that midfield doesn't look particularly strong.
    Yeah seeing that midfield written down it is majorly lacking. Not sure Henry is ready to play a massive part in the league.

Roddy should also be nowhere near the first team under any circumstances.
    Clayden miles better than Roddy.
    They play in different positions though?
    I'm judging from when Clayden played LB or LWB
    Nope, Clayden was dogshit at LB for us, Roddy had a bad injury last season but overall is better in that role than Clayden was. 

People are just against him because his old man was here before him so the prejudice has set in 

Not at all. He's been awful whenever I've seen him play coupled with having no outstanding attributes so there isn't even any thing resembling potential that makes me think he has anything but zero chance of being a professional footballer.
    Except the fact he already is one? ;) 

That's still debatable.

Also please tell me he's not been given a pro contract?!
  • Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Jac_52 said:
    sam3110 said:
    How I see it:
    We should bring in Sessegnon, Edun, a right winger, another central midfielder and 2 strikers to come in, Kirk/DJ out, Kanu and Elewere to get league 2 loans til Jan. 

Isted, AMB
    Egbo, Sessegnon (Asiimwe)
    Ness, Hector, Lloyd, Thomas, Mitchell (Elewere)
    Edun, Chin (Roddy)
    Dobson, Fraser, McGrandles, Henry, New (Anderson)
    New, Campbell, CBT, Payne, Kirk/DJ
    May, Leaburn, New, New (Kanu)

Bracketed players are youth to be used in the future/in emergencies. That's 24 players, with multiple players being able to cover different positions, like Thomas at left back, CBT at wing back, Payne playing in the middle or wide, Sess on either wing, Mitchell stepping into midfield etc. Etc.

I think that's achievable, and reasonable, it's not a squad that will Piss The League™ but it should be a solid grounding, as long as the new players in question are of a quality that improves us

I'd expect 4 of those players to be loans
    Not a million miles off but I think it’s looking like we’re going to play 352 so no need at all to have a new winger on top of Campbell, CBT, Payne and one of Kirk or DJ. Prefer another CB and CM as that midfield doesn't look particularly strong.
    Yeah seeing that midfield written down it is majorly lacking. Not sure Henry is ready to play a massive part in the league.

Roddy should also be nowhere near the first team under any circumstances.
    Clayden miles better than Roddy.
    They play in different positions though?
    I'm judging from when Clayden played LB or LWB
    Nope, Clayden was dogshit at LB for us, Roddy had a bad injury last season but overall is better in that role than Clayden was. 

People are just against him because his old man was here before him so the prejudice has set in 

Not at all. He's been awful whenever I've seen him play coupled with having no outstanding attributes so there isn't even any thing resembling potential that makes me think he has anything but zero chance of being a professional footballer.
    Except the fact he already is one? ;) 

That's still debatable.

Also please tell me he's not been given a pro contract?!
    He’s 20, signed at 18 so always been on a pro contract.
  • The fact he wants another striker all but confirms it’s a 352 now.  I make it 1 RWB, 2 LWBs, 1 CM, 1 STK.  Surely means the end for DJ and Kirk.  I’ve a feeling he’ll trust Chin as back up LWB,  not the end of the world, I hope he doesn’t underestimate the need for a centre midfielder. 
  • I’d also say another winger as he does go with a 4-3-3 if 352 isn’t possible, and we only have TC and CBT as real options in that area. Kirk, may or may not stay so another threat like Rak Saki would be needed, maybe unrealistic though. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Signed late last night so he could go on Pompey’s team bonding trip to Spain…..he’s the 9th new face they are looking to integrate into their squad.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Signed late last night so he could go on Pompey’s team bonding trip to Spain…..he’s the 9th new face they are looking to integrate into their squad.
    Still not one I would have at charlton 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Think they might start slowly and have my doubts about Will Norris as a keeper but they feel like they're putting together a top 6 challenging squad. 
  • Not seen much of the youth teams but Roddy played well for the u21s in the senior cup final against Haringey. Not sure that means he’s ready for a step up. In that game Mitchell was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, but I’ve still not been particularly impressed by any of his competitive appearances for the men’s first team so far.

There’s undoubtedly a lot of talent in the youth but I think if we’re relying on any of these (or Kanu or Henry) playing regularly next season then we’re not really looking at being competitive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Luke Plange  from Palace on loan - poor half season at Lincoln earlier this year but before that decent at Derby and following how well JRS did - Palace are happy the way Charlton look after their promising youngsters. 
  • Roddy is young. He is an interesting one. I know it is a different position but the player of recent times he most reminds me of is Josh Davison. Honest willing robust and old fashioned in style. Tries very hard and if it doesn’t work, tries harder again.
    He does not play in a sophisticated way and generally seems to lack subtlety.
  • edited July 2023
    The fact he wants another striker all but confirms it’s a 352 now.  I make it 1 RWB, 2 LWBs, 1 CM, 1 STK.  Surely means the end for DJ and Kirk.  I’ve a feeling he’ll trust Chin as back up LWB,  not the end of the world, I hope he doesn’t underestimate the need for a centre midfielder. 
    Quite likely but not necessarily.

They can't rely on Aneke anytime soon (or ever) and Leaburn being out for a while leaves us with only May. You can't go into a season with one striker regardless of formation.
    Attention Admin, I think Golfie has hijacked Chris no longer from Sidcup’s account 😉
  • seth plum said:
    Roddy is young. He is an interesting one. I know it is a different position but the player of recent times he most reminds me of is Josh Davison. Honest willing robust and old fashioned in style. Tries very hard and if it doesn’t work, tries harder again.
    He does not play in a sophisticated way and generally seems to lack subtlety.
    That’s not enough though for a decent level is it. Sounds to me and I’ll say now I don’t really know the player at all but it sounds to me like league two at best. Effort is to be commended but a level of skill and ability is required also.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Think they might start slowly and have my doubts about Will Norris as a keeper but they feel like they're putting together a top 6 challenging squad. 
    Agreed, I think Pompey will be up there in the top 6 come the end of the season. Derby look the early favourites, hopefully we can be there or there abouts as overall it looks the weakest league 1 for a while.

Derby look very strong even if they lose Jason Knight to Bristol City , Bolton assuming they lose no key players will be up there but beyond that it feels like a prime opportunity to get top 6 - there's no one coming down I'd fear would get autos. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Agreed, I think Pompey will be up there in the top 6 come the end of the season. Derby look the early favourites, hopefully we can be there or there abouts as overall it looks the weakest league 1 for a while.

Derby look very strong even if they lose Jason Knight to Bristol City , Bolton assuming they lose no key players will be up there but beyond that it feels like a prime opportunity to get top 6 - there's no one coming down I'd fear would get autos. 
    There's usually a surprise team though. No one would've predicted Blackpool and Plymouth would be promoted. 
  • I'd like to see players better than the division. Dack types.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Blackpool and Reading all look to me like top six potential. Then there are the Peterborough’s, Oxford and a surprise team. I don’t think it’s going to be that easy for top six. The squad we have currently isn’t going to make it. I hope the manager and owners are as aware as we are.

I think Reading will struggle. They are in a mess still no manager, transfer embargo and still further points reduction hanging over them I believe. 

Edit seen they do have a manager. 

Dai Yongge profile: Who is the Chinese tycoon who owns Reading FC? - BBC Sport
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Out of interest mate who would you like to see us sign.
    Himself to make a comeback from the mid 1980’s 
  • Reading will not make the top 6. Burton could be a dark horse this season, Their recruitment this far has been excellent.
  • Reading will not make the top 6. Burton could be a dark horse this season, Their recruitment this far has been excellent.
    I think Burton and Bristol Rovers will be the surprising teams 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Scully and Poole would have both been brilliant signings for us. The rest I’m not too fussed about 
  • hope so