Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I'd still love to see Nombe but he won't be cheap - alternative would be Smith or would like to see us go after Stansfield on a loan deal. Think him and May together would do some serious damage.

Jay Stansfield would be an absolute dream loan signing. Will be interesting to see how Fulham see fit to develop him and whether it's another year in League 1 or a championship side. 
  • edited July 2023
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wouldn't mind Amos as CDM depth but he's been injured a lot whilst at QPR . Think Smith will go elsewhere unfortunately. 
    Smith seems realistic to me, if he’s waiting for Championship offers that now looks unlikely. Are there many L1 clubs throwing big money around?
    I don't see where he fits into a 352 when we already have may. Won't join to sit on the bench. 
    I don't know enough about him, if he's similar to May then I agree. If we have a decent budget then 3 senior strikers (counting Leaburn as 1 and excluding Aneke) is the bare minimum we need. Ideally 4 (again excluding Aneke) which will allow Kanu to go on loan.
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wouldn't mind Amos as CDM depth but he's been injured a lot whilst at QPR . Think Smith will go elsewhere unfortunately. 
    Smith seems realistic to me, if he’s waiting for Championship offers that now looks unlikely. Are there many L1 clubs throwing big money around?
    I don't see where he fits into a 352 when we already have may. Won't join to sit on the bench. 
    Still room for a second striker to come in with Leaburn and Aneke missing the start of the season, no reason he can't join and play alongside May with Leaburn and Aneke to force there way back in once fit again.
    True, I didn't realise he was 6ft1. Left footed too. Aneke I'd be surprised if we see again. 
    That’s with 2 years left on his contract as well 
  • is there any reason that lad who got 40 odd goals in the u21s couldn't step up to the squad this season? 

Not saying as a regular or anything - if Leaburn and JRS can do it as a couple of teenagers in their first season then why not?
  • edited July 2023
    is there any reason that lad who got 40 odd goals in the u21s couldn't step up to the squad this season? 

Not saying as a regular or anything - if Leaburn and JRS can do it as a couple of teenagers in their first season then why not?
    Because not all people age in the same way.  Compare Rooney and Kane, by any metric, from 17 to 22.

Bowyer was a first team star for us at 18.  Parker wasn't. 
  • Sam Smith is heavily linked with reading. Used to play for them as well
  • I'd still love to see Nombe but he won't be cheap - alternative would be Smith or would like to see us go after Stansfield on a loan deal. Think him and May together would do some serious damage.
    I think stansfield is in a similar position to Rak-Sakyi. He will either be part of Fulham’s squad or on loan in the championship. Don’t think there’s any chance of him coming back to this level 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    is there any reason that lad who got 40 odd goals in the u21s couldn't step up to the squad this season? 

Because not all people age in the same way.  Compare Rooney and Kane, by any metric, from 17 to 22.

can you elaborate a bit on this? Not saying you are wrong, but are you basing this assessment on size? maturity? mindset? the "X Factor"? I don't know anything about youth football, or what means someone can "make it" 

If we were still Prem and a lad like Casey came around scoring for fun in u21 competition - wouldn't we be looking for a league 1 or 2 club to loan him out to this season? 

I dunno... i'm just asking the question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Smith and May would be a lethal partnership at this level
  • Cafc43v3r said:

can you elaborate a bit on this? Not saying you are wrong, but are you basing this assessment on size? maturity? mindset? the "X Factor"? I don't know anything about youth football, or what means someone can "make it" 

If we were still Prem and a lad like Casey came around scoring for fun in u21 competition - wouldn't we be looking for a league 1 or 2 club to loan him out to this season? 

Kanu looked lethal at youth level but as soon as he stepped up he looked like exactly what he is/was - a boy against men.

That's not to say he won't still come good but pure talent isn't enough for a breakthrough season. If you look at some of the younger ones who do make it, they are often absolute units (a la Leaburn, or Rooney) or have speed or athleticism way beyond their years.

A breakthrough season for a promising kid SHOULD be a happy unplanned bonus and not actually part of any plan.
  • We know the club are still in for a striker and there are strikers in our sights that very much fit the bill. Yes we’ll have competition because all of Ladapo, Smith, Nombe and JCH are all proven ready at our level. I wouldn’t rule out any of the above ending up playing for us. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Kanu looked lethal at youth level but as soon as he stepped up he looked like exactly what he is/was - a boy against men.

That's not to say he won't still come good but pure talent isn't enough for a breakthrough season. If you look at some of the younger ones who do make it, they are often absolute units (a la Leaburn, or Rooney) or have speed or athleticism way beyond their years.

A breakthrough season for a promising kid SHOULD be a happy unplanned bonus and not actually part of any plan.
    Think he has suffered having to play as a lone striker. 

I agree if we are playing 2 upfront then he can get 20 minutes here and there and go from there. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Smith and Wesson May would be a lethal partnership at this level

• Speaking to some Exeter supporting family and they reckon they’d be asking £1m-£1.25m for Nombe…
  • edited July 2023
    Smithy said:
    Speaking to some Exeter supporting family and they reckon they’d be asking £1m-£1.25m for Nombe…
    I think that similar to what Peterborough will end up asking for Clarke-Harris as his contract is up next summer. I think both will end up going for less.
  • Smithy said:
    Speaking to some Exeter supporting family and they reckon they’d be asking £1m-£1.25m for Nombe…
    I think that similar to what Peterborough will end up asking for Clarke-Harris as his contract is up next summer. I think both will end up going for less.
    Yeah it's a part of the game that is transfers. Setting out a "public" price that is above market value so you can negotiate to the actual value you expected all along.

Unless your Charlton of course and flog off everyone on the cheap ;)

• United's new Wout Weghorst?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    I'd be amazed if we signed Stansfield from Fulham. Should get a Championship loan but if it's league one again for him it would surely be Exeter again given the Stansfield family connection having unretired his dad's former number 9 shirt for him last season.
  • Scoham said:
    Stansfield scored 9 league goals last season in 28 starts and 8 sub apps. Maybe his all round play is very good but that record doesn’t suggest he’ll definitely be in the Championship next season compared to someone like JRS.
    Including a last day hatrick. Very ordinary stats! I think he gets bogged up a lot just because it's a good story. 

I'm not sure how many minutes leaburn played but I'd be surprised if it was as many as stansfield and he scored more
  • JCH and May would be the basis for shot at promotion
    If he has one year left on his deal and the new owners have some cash then it could happen I guess
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Sam Smith is heavily linked with reading. Used to play for them as well

Could well be joining Knibbs at Reading.
  • Valley11 said:
    JCH and May would be the basis for shot at promotion
    If he has one year left on his deal and the new owners have some cash then it could happen I guess
    It’s definitely possible. As the window closing draws nearer Peterborough will begin to be a bit more realistic as to the fee. Not necessarily that helpful though as that increases the number of clubs that will become more interested. I still think it’s probably unlikely.
  • We're about to sign.............

When at midday?
  • We're about to sign.............

Veey good striker, but at 50 I'd not take the risk.
  • I think Sam Smith to Reading makes the most sense, youth career there and they've got the clear to make signings now