Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    ValleyBen said:
    I am yet to be convinced Egbo is a top six quality full/wing back, hoping we bring in a new player for that side too.
    No need this young right back has impressed Holden a lot and I don’t think we will bring another right back in now. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is in front of Egbo
    I've not seen enough of Asiimwe to judge and I'll trust Holden's judgement but a few were saying Clayden was ready to be back up LB last season on the basis of a couple of games. Those games weren't friendlies either, it was a league and cup match. Egbo has never really played a full season so I'd be concerned if we didn't bring one in. At the very least something like Sess and Edun so the former can cover the right-side too. 
    They were wrong. Clayden was never a defender. 
    Agreed, and I said so at the time. This formation might have been slightly better for him although ultimately I don't think he's a League 1 player. 
    I agree, now let's hope he doesn't show us up on Saturday! :neutral:

• If Holden is looking at playing a youngster because we have no money to buy a first team player then I’m as concerned as the next person but if he wants to play Asiimwe because he genuinely thinks he’s good enough then it’s in Holden we trust for me.
    I totally agree, but I would argue that is exactly why Asiimwe is playing right now, because we don't have anyone else. Full-back/wing-back is where we are really short at the moment so we've had to use the younger players. There is the risk that it's a case of him having to be used in pre-season, impressing and then not being ready. But totally agree, I appreciate Holden's call if he feels him and Egbo are ready to be the two right-sided players. 
  • Anyone else finding it strange to be excited discussing possible transfers? Is this what it feels like to support a normal team?
    True. But with all the highly promising youngsters we have coming through let's hope discussions don't start turning to the bids we have received for them.

After all if you were a PL club, what's a cheeky few hundred thousand bid for people like Leaburn, Ness, Mitchell, Anderson, Asiimwe etc.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    So both Smith and JCH are no go. That leaves Nombe and ?
    Nombe is a player we want, we have enquired but they wanted too much money, but we might go back in. Let’s see
    Now that would be a marquee signing. 24yo, quick, strong and knows where the goal is. 

I’m not surprised Exeter are asking for a lot of money, proper player. 
    " with Nombe scoring 8 goals despite being injured for a large part of the season" 

Perfect for us, sign him up. 
  • Exeter usually drive a hard bargain too. My fear with someone like Nombe is that Peterborough will get £3-4m for JCH and despite signing Tshimanga already will come in with £1m+ for Nombe. 
  • If Holden is looking at playing a youngster because we have no money to buy a first team player then I’m as concerned as the next person but if he wants to play Asiimwe because he genuinely thinks he’s good enough then it’s in Holden we trust for me.
    Probably a bit of spin included let's be real. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Exeter usually drive a hard bargain too. My fear with someone like Nombe is that Peterborough will get £3-4m for JCH and despite signing Tshimanga already will come in with £1m+ for Nombe. 
    no way will JCH go for 3m, nowhere near.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Exeter usually drive a hard bargain too. My fear with someone like Nombe is that Peterborough will get £3-4m for JCH and despite signing Tshimanga already will come in with £1m+ for Nombe. 
    Do well to get over 1m for him at 29, less than a year left on his contract and the fact he’s never been able to replicate his league one form in the Championship.

Fair enough, I was probably putting too much weight on some of the previous deals MacAnthony has managed at Posh in terms of fees he's got. 
  • I think the competition for the advanced position on the left will be between CBT and Campbell.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    They’re asking 1.2 mill for him don’t think their get anywhere near that either ? 
  • The questions for me are Egbo and Hector’s fitness.  I don’t want CBT as a wing back, I don’t think it work over the course of a season and Sessegnon (if he came back) wouldn’t be strong enough on the left.  We need a Wiggins type there.  
  • seth plum said:
    I think the competition for the advanced position on the left will be between CBT and Campbell.
    Neither are left wing backs. Both though are great as the wide attacker in a 433
  • seth plum said:
    I think the competition for the advanced position on the left will be between CBT and Campbell.
    Neither are left wing backs. Both though are great as the wide attacker in a 433
    Yes. I am assuming that they would mainly be deployed in an attacking sense with somebody like Thomas watching out behind them.
    In some games, or some tough away games you might adjust things to be more defensive overall.
    I don’t see a role for left sided Kirk in any configuration.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes. I am assuming that they would mainly be deployed in an attacking sense with somebody like Thomas watching out behind them.
    In some games, or some tough away games you might adjust things to be more defensive overall.
    I don’t see a role for left sided Kirk in any configuration.

Found one!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    They’re asking 1.2 mill for him don’t think they’re get anywhere near that either ? 
    They will want to sell JHC, buy Nombe, pocket a good profit and repeat.
    We should get in first.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023

• Djicksteel available for loan ? 
  • Portsmouth make signing number 11 of the summer so far.

Abu Kamara, one of the young players I mentioned I would have liked for us to sign. On loan from Norwich.

Born in SE London and is a left footed forward who can play right across the front line, should have been on our radar. Could be a very good signing for Pompey this one.
  • Sage said:
    Portsmouth make signing number 11 of the summer so far.

Abu Kamara, one of the young players I mentioned I would have liked for us to sign. On loan from Norwich.

Born in SE London and is a left footed forward who can play right across the front line, should have been on our radar. Could be a very good signing for Pompey this one.
    Doesn’t sound like he’d fit our formation though?
  • Dabo alternative