Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Southbank said:
    Currently its a mess. We are playing a system we do not have the wingbacks for, and the defence does not look any better than last season's. Plus we only have 1 fit striker. The fact that there is a serious chance that Kirk will start up front makes me wonder just how successful this 'rebuilding' has been so far. 
    Holden clearly has a preferred formation that he wants to drill into the players and hopefully that will be rewarded once the last couple of pieces of the jigsaw fall into place.

For one, I don’t think we’re nearly as far away as some suggest - we’d be confident against Orient if Leaburn was available.

For two, any formation is going to require hours of drilling on the training pitch. How much time does Holden want to take away from 3-5-2 to practice a formation that will only be preferred for one or two games?
    But last season when Holden was at his most successful he wasn't playing it. 

The 'manager sticking rigidly to his formation regardless of his players' always falls apart when you don't have the right players for it. 
    We don’t have the right players for any formation though. May needs a strike partner and we don’t have a left back so 4-3-3 isn’t ideal. 3-5-2 isn’t either but at least if that’s the plan for this season and what we’ve been working on all season it makes sense to play that so players continue to get used to it 
  • Kirk is no way near good enough, league 2 player at absolute best
    With all the analysis that goes on in matches these days I'm pretty sure that the stats for all players will be known. I wonder where Kirk ranks in the stat for impact on a game. We all have our own opinions and eyes to rate players, but I wonder where he ranks. Holden 'may' know or see something we don't. Either that or he's been told that the only way Kirk is leaving, is of he's put in the shop window and somebody puts in an offer to take him! 
  • Redhenry said:
    We need to sign a striker, money needs to be spent or the season will be wasted again. Loans won't cut it IMHO
    If the rumours are true that we bid 500k for Nombe then we're obviously prepared to spend money. Just a question of finding the right deal. As Callum said if it means waiting 4 weeks to sign the right player instead of rushing in now and getting someone for the sake of it then i'd rather wait.
  • Where is the game this week on an artificial pitch that DH mentioned?

Assume it's behind closed doors or a Charlton XI game.
    must be this https://twitter.com/crayvalleypm/status/1685959150474309632?s=46&t=MojDVxh_AjG5taAWPQn6Tw
  • If Matt Godden is available surely we should be going in for him?
    Not sure he is what we are looking for as a partner for May. Would be great competition for him and better than Kirk, Campbell, Kanu who are backups for that role currently, but would think we’d have to at least move Kirk on (and probably a few more) before signing another for the May role
  • edited July 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:

Bonne spotted at Gillingham 
    Great reception.
  • fenaddick said:
    Where is the game this week on an artificial pitch that DH mentioned?

must be this https://twitter.com/crayvalleypm/status/1685959150474309632?s=46&t=MojDVxh_AjG5taAWPQn6Tw
    Cray Valley have a grass pitch so not sure this is what DH was on about
  • Kirk is much more it seems likely to start at the weekend, and has for the last couple of games started. 

Payne already looks at most like a squad player.

I'd say that's why Kirk is being discussed more.
    Would rather see Payne on the pitch than Kirk, any day.
  • fenaddickth said:
    Where is the game this week on an artificial pitch that DH mentioned?

Thanks @fenaddick

Not been given much publicity by the club, strange for such a local game.
  • CAFC_boi said:

Saw this on the league one transfermarkt, when I was just catching up on all the league one ins/outs before the season starts.

probably nonsense, but thought I’d share as it’s a reputable site and there’s only 6 rumours listed - 4 of them have happened and 1 is expected to happen and the only other one is Nombe to Charlton with them saying there is a 75% chance of it happening! 
    Well, we know for a fact he’s already signed. ****s confirmed it a few days ago. 
  • jbaker said:
    Can we not just start a Charlie Kirk thread? 
    How about we start a rumours thread... 

oh...
  • Redhenry said:
    We need to sign a striker, money needs to be spent or the season will be wasted again. Loans won't cut it IMHO
    What's the point of wasting money on players that might not be the right fit for the club? I think we will bring another 3 or 4 players before the end of the window, and 2 or 3 will also be moved on as well. 

• NabySarr said:

Remember, he scored couple of tap in's in the championship, he is a top end championship player!!! well according to many on here.. Poor player! Bad attitude! 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Remember, he scored couple of tap in's in the championship, he is a top end championship player!!! well according to many on here.. Poor player! Bad attitude! 
    Who said he was top end championship ? He had 2 good months in the championship with us , but bar his first couple of months with Ipswich , he has been awful since .  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    cazo said:
    Not Kirk it’s like playing with 10 men
    But he was good against Millwall, so I couldn’t write him off just yet.
    The Aberdeen game was a weird one, but at least we learned a lot from it (Ness no good on the left of a back three, CBT defo ng as a wing back, a strong guy need to play alongside May, don’t always pass out from the back).
    For me Campbell is better than Kirk who is ok on the bench until we acquire someone better. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    cazo said:
    The Aberdeen game was a weird one, but at least we learned a lot from it (Ness no good on the left of a back three, CBT defo ng as a wing back, a strong guy need to play alongside May, don’t always pass out from the back).
    For me Campbell is better than Kirk who is ok on the bench until we acquire someone better. 
    Kirk was good against Millwall ??? Watched a different game to me 
  • DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cazo said:
    In the first half? 
    Tbh as soon as I posted that I thought, ‘what was the point, I don’t really rate him’. 
    But I remember the big build up when we signed him, as he was highly rated at the time, and the occasional flashes where he makes a good cross, or makes a good late run into the box. Also remember the sad passing of his dad, so would still like if he came good somehow. 
  • Genuinely why does Charlie Kirk get so much stick and discussion about him but Jack Payne doesn’t get any? He came in with as much pedigree and promise
    One cost half a mill, the other free.
  • edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cazo said:
    In the first half? 
    Tbh as soon as I posted that I thought, ‘what was the point, I don’t really rate him’. 
    But I remember the big build up when we signed him, as he was highly rated at the time, and the occasional flashes where he makes a good cross, or makes a good late run into the box. Also remember the sad passing of his dad, so would still like if he came good somehow. 
    He really really wasn’t good against Milwall. I will hold my hands up and say he made a clever run and a nice finish. He also did one nice backheel. Other than that he was an embarrassment compared to the rest of the team that worked hard and got stuck in. He bottled challenges, didn’t bother closing down defenders, always jumped up for a header staring at the player not the ball, and didn’t try anything that wasn’t a 95% guaranteed simple pass. He can’t even be a stand in. Campbell had done more in 5 minutes.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cazo said:
    In the first half? 
    He really really want good against Milwall. I will hold my hands up and say he made a clever run and a nice finish. He also did one nice backheel. Other than that he was an embarrassment compared to the rest of the team that worked hard and got stuck in. He bottled challenges, didn’t bother closing down defenders, always jumped up for a header staring at the player not the ball, and didn’t try anything that wasn’t a 95% guaranteed simple pass. He can’t even be a stand in. Campbell had done more in 5 minutes.
    We watched the same game 
  • Kirk or Bonne?

With debates like this, no wonder we are still in L1!
  • edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    What's the point of wasting money on players that might not be the right fit for the club? I think we will bring another 3 or 4 players before the end of the window, and 2 or 3 will also be moved on as well. 

Eh? I said we need to buy a striker, deffo needed...