Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    Nombe missed a pen today.. 

Mentioned on match day thread a couple of times
    Thanks Ronnie, I did not know this as I went to the game. I did see his low performance score on football app, which was a bit surprising given the result so  this could explain that.

I thought Egbo was excellent when he came on. Given some of the comments that suggest he will be leaving I would just say that I will be very disappointed if he does.
    It was Edun who came on. Egbo wasn't even on the bench 
  • Egbo off?
    Someone posted on some thread yesterday that he had seen Sessegnon at the ground.

I wonder if we are still trying to sign him? If so, and we do get him to sign, then you may well be right about Egbo.
  • Are we even interested in the Harrogate player?
  • NabySarr said:
    Are we even interested in the Harrogate player?
    Armstrong is a wanted Striker + Charlton need a Striker = Rumour
    Or Armstrong going to Exeter + Charlton want Nombe = Rumour 
    Of course I’ve no idea but with the greatest respect to Exeter, would them showing an interest “turn his head” ? A number of clubs have apparently submitted bids and I’d guess all would be higher profile than Exeter. Sounds like he’s off but with other bids in as well as Exeter ? I would imagine his destination is elsewhere. I’m hoping one of the bids isn’t us. Nombe looks a better bet to me.
  • I expect the only league one offer Armstrong has is from Exeter. All other bids likely to have come from league two.
  • I expect the only league one offer Armstrong has is from Exeter. All other bids likely to have come from league two.
    What league two clubs would have the money to bid for Armstrong ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Notice Scott Banks to Blackpool has fallen through.

Are we still in for him?

Although with Gallen's departure is our relationship with Palace still as strong? Friedman is his best friend since playing for the Qpr Youth Team and the god father of his kids. 
  • Richard J said:
    Notice Scott Banks to Blackpool has fallen through.

Are we still in for him?

Although with Gallen's departure is our relationship with Palace still as strong? Friedman is his best friend since playing for the Qpr Youth Team and the god father of his kids. 
    Banks doesn’t fit our 3-5-2 so I doubt we want him and if we did, I doubt he’d be too keen on joining us as he would struggle to get games 

Wrexham to fill in for Mullen definitely 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I expect the only league one offer Armstrong has is from Exeter. All other bids likely to have come from league two.

Yep. Can’t think of any others.
  • Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Just out of interest @Swisdom, how does it work with you sending the Club Management a few players? I'd have thought a professional setup would ignore it as 'fan mail', or do they hold you in good regards for spotting decent players?
    It probably happens a lot tbh

i got to know Steve Gallen when we were thee hurt sponsors during Covid and we used to chat a bit.  He knew I had some scouting qualifications so knew I’m not a weirdo but that I genuinely want to help the club.  Every so often he would say what they were looking for and usually the criteria was “out of contract, soon to be out of contract or a free transfer”

so I would go out, look at  various stats depending on position, then I’d check their socials and see what type of person they were (no dickhead rule), then check out their contract status as per Transfermarkt as well as who their current agent is on there and see if that agent was already representing someone we have on our books so may have a relationship with, then watch as much footage as I can on my own Wyscout subscription, compile a report of strengths and weaknesses.  Then, if they seem a decent fit I would send in the name and report.

a lot goes into it and Steve appreciated I wasn’t just bombarding them with a teenagers wish list but I was actually doing a job for them for free.  If one signing comes of it then I’ll be proud and I’ve helped the club.

one I strongly suggested was ignored because he was “no better than we already have” according to one of our scouts.  I watched him for a couple of months at Dartford academy team. He just returned from Fulham’s pre season tour of America and is only 17 or 18.  So it’s frustrating sometimes.

The one I sent in this week is hugely exciting but I fear we are too late as he may be about to move on.  Again I only sent it to Charlie off the back of a conversation at the Gills game.  I don’t plan to make a habit out of badgering him but I do intend to try to have a chat with Andy Scott to see if i can develop a similar relationship with him.  It doesn’t cost them anything after all and, like I say, it only takes one player to sign from my recommendation and everyone is a winner.
    FWIW I know a scouting report was done many years ago for charlton strongly recommending a young player called Kevin Phillips - a year or so before he joined Watford - missed one there  
  • DOUCHER said:
    Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Just out of interest @Swisdom, how does it work with you sending the Club Management a few players? I'd have thought a professional setup would ignore it as 'fan mail', or do they hold you in good regards for spotting decent players?

i got to know Steve Gallen when we were thee hurt sponsors during Covid and we used to chat a bit.  He knew I had some scouting qualifications so knew I’m not a weirdo but that I genuinely want to help the club.  Every so often he would say what they were looking for and usually the criteria was “out of contract, soon to be out of contract or a free transfer”

so I would go out, look at  various stats depending on position, then I’d check their socials and see what type of person they were (no dickhead rule), then check out their contract status as per Transfermarkt as well as who their current agent is on there and see if that agent was already representing someone we have on our books so may have a relationship with, then watch as much footage as I can on my own Wyscout subscription, compile a report of strengths and weaknesses.  Then, if they seem a decent fit I would send in the name and report.

a lot goes into it and Steve appreciated I wasn’t just bombarding them with a teenagers wish list but I was actually doing a job for them for free.  If one signing comes of it then I’ll be proud and I’ve helped the club.

one I strongly suggested was ignored because he was “no better than we already have” according to one of our scouts.  I watched him for a couple of months at Dartford academy team. He just returned from Fulham’s pre season tour of America and is only 17 or 18.  So it’s frustrating sometimes.

The one I sent in this week is hugely exciting but I fear we are too late as he may be about to move on.  Again I only sent it to Charlie off the back of a conversation at the Gills game.  I don’t plan to make a habit out of badgering him but I do intend to try to have a chat with Andy Scott to see if i can develop a similar relationship with him.  It doesn’t cost them anything after all and, like I say, it only takes one player to sign from my recommendation and everyone is a winner.
    FWIW I know a scouting report was done many years ago for charlton strongly recommending a young player called Kevin Phillips - a year or so before he joined Watford - missed one there  
    I’m sure there are many that get away but similarly there are significantly more who turn out to be turnip so we take the rough with the smooth. 
    It needs a lot of things to come together to make it work so hopefully I can find someone that helps my club one day soon.
  • Redhenry said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I don’t see him as an impact player - no pace, no height, no physicality - they are normally impact players as the game opens up and / or you go more direct 

You are watching a different player dude
    i know, never mind - if you can't see he has no height, pace or physicality i can't really help you 
  • edited August 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    I expect the only league one offer Armstrong has is from Exeter. All other bids likely to have come from league two.

The bloke already 27 years old not played higher then league two 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:

We also were very interested in him when he left Watford and Sunderland's first choice target was David Johnson from Bury.

It wouldn't have taken much to have been different for us to have signed Philips, Sunderland Johnson and Ipswich Mendonca.  All worked out for everyone in the end.
  • Can see DJ , Egbo , McGrandles and Kirk leaving this window as well as a couple of loans to make room for Nbombe , Sess and a couple of Loans in , Holden will work with a Squad of 20 
  • Think Mcgrandles and Kirk will go late in the window once we have players fit and up to speed and any strikers signed. 

Did see from Nixon that Birmingham are trying to get Lukas Jutkewicz and Scott Hogan off their wage bill but neither really fit the bill of the type of player we've been going after. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think Mcgrandles and Kirk will go late in the window once we have players fit and up to speed and any strikers signed. 

Did see from Nixon that Birmingham are trying to get Lukas Jutkewicz and Scott Hogan off their wage bill but neither really fit the bill of the type of player we've been going after. 
    Would take Jutkiewicz on loan for a season if Brum were willing to pay some of the wages…
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think Mcgrandles and Kirk will go late in the window once we have players fit and up to speed and any strikers signed. 

Would take Jutkiewicz on loan for a season if Brum were willing to pay some of the wages…
    Jutkiewicz would bully league 1 defences
  • edited August 2023
    Sam Cosgrove anyone? On ridiculous wages at Brum so would either need to be a loan or he takes a big pay cut.
    (page 281)

Reams on ITTV saying we’re in for Cosgrove as a target man option.
  • Sam Cosgrove anyone? On ridiculous wages at Brum so would either need to be a loan or he takes a big pay cut.
    (page 281)

Hmmm not too sure about that one... Maybe as a fourth option but seems to bounce around from loan to loan not really contributing a huge amount. 
  • Sam Cosgrove anyone? On ridiculous wages at Brum so would either need to be a loan or he takes a big pay cut.
    (page 281)

Not sure tbh. Did well for Plymouth last season but before that he was rubbish wherever he went. Was good off the bench for Plymouth so would be fine if Leaburn can stay fit to start alongside May 
  • Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    Nombe missed a pen today.. 

Mentioned on match day thread a couple of times
    Thanks Ronnie, I did not know this as I went to the game. I did see his low performance score on football app, which was a bit surprising given the result so  this could explain that.

I thought Egbo was excellent when he came on. Given some of the comments that suggest he will be leaving I would just say that I will be very disappointed if he does.
    He didn't come on. He wasn't even in the squad.
    Must be confusing Egbo with new signing Edun… Both full backs with a four letter names beginning with E