Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Are we even interested in the Harrogate player?
    Armstrong is a wanted Striker + Charlton need a Striker = Rumour

If we could get Armstrong it would be a small step but a giant leap forward in getting in another striker in as Miles is still a month away from a return to action.
    I don't want "Houston we have a problem" if May suddenly gets a knock.

Beam a striker in Scotty.
  • Ladapo came off the bench today to help Ipswich beat Sunderland 2 - 1
  • Should have passed in added time instead of shooting over and they would have won 3-1.
  • NabySarr said:
    Should have passed in added time instead of shooting over and they would have won 3-1.
    That was a shocker. Hopefully he has a big falling out with the manager over it and is put on the transfer list 
    Wouldn't want him then. No dickheads policy 
  • Ladapo came off the bench today to help Ipswich beat Sunderland 2 - 1
    Yes, I would be surprised if either Ipswich are willing to let Ladapo go or Ladapo would want to drop a division bearing in mind he came on today.
    Mind you Kirk came on for us and I reckon he'll be gone soon enough.
  • Josh Coburn was an unused substitute yesterday for Middlesbrough.
  • Josh Coburn was an unused substitute yesterday for Middlesbrough.

Definitely one I'd be keeping an eye on , might need Boro to bring in another striker to make it happen as they loaned Matthew Hoppe to San Jose Earthquakes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Hoping we’ve got some cracking signings lined up. 

Endrick on loan from Madrid would be a good start, much better than Lanzini.
  • DA9 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think Mcgrandles and Kirk will go late in the window once we have players fit and up to speed and any strikers signed. 

Did see from Nixon that Birmingham are trying to get Lukas Jutkewicz and Scott Hogan off their wage bill but neither really fit the bill of the type of player we've been going after. 
    I noticed something yesterday, maybe I read too much into it, but when Kirk had run back to help break up a Orient attack late in the game, Dobbo ran over and thanked him, slap on the back etc, all seemed to me as “I know you’re going but well done for the effort still”
    Like I said, maybe me reading the wrong body language 
    That was actually Dobbo saying "nice one Kirky, no wonder the gaffer has offered you a new 5 year contract".
  • Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Just out of interest @Swisdom, how does it work with you sending the Club Management a few players? I'd have thought a professional setup would ignore it as 'fan mail', or do they hold you in good regards for spotting decent players?
    It probably happens a lot tbh

i got to know Steve Gallen when we were thee hurt sponsors during Covid and we used to chat a bit.  He knew I had some scouting qualifications so knew I’m not a weirdo but that I genuinely want to help the club.  Every so often he would say what they were looking for and usually the criteria was “out of contract, soon to be out of contract or a free transfer”

so I would go out, look at  various stats depending on position, then I’d check their socials and see what type of person they were (no dickhead rule), then check out their contract status as per Transfermarkt as well as who their current agent is on there and see if that agent was already representing someone we have on our books so may have a relationship with, then watch as much footage as I can on my own Wyscout subscription, compile a report of strengths and weaknesses.  Then, if they seem a decent fit I would send in the name and report.

a lot goes into it and Steve appreciated I wasn’t just bombarding them with a teenagers wish list but I was actually doing a job for them for free.  If one signing comes of it then I’ll be proud and I’ve helped the club.

one I strongly suggested was ignored because he was “no better than we already have” according to one of our scouts.  I watched him for a couple of months at Dartford academy team. He just returned from Fulham’s pre season tour of America and is only 17 or 18.  So it’s frustrating sometimes.

The one I sent in this week is hugely exciting but I fear we are too late as he may be about to move on.  Again I only sent it to Charlie off the back of a conversation at the Gills game.  I don’t plan to make a habit out of badgering him but I do intend to try to have a chat with Andy Scott to see if i can develop a similar relationship with him.  It doesn’t cost them anything after all and, like I say, it only takes one player to sign from my recommendation and everyone is a winner.
    Reading your article about scouting and Charlton Athletic reminded me of the time I arranged a meeting in The Kings Head in Bexley village with two players that were willing to discuss transferring to Charlton, one was a goal scorer and crowd pleaser Alan Biley and up an coming midfielder Neil Webb both at Portsmouth at the time.My response from the manager at the time was , yes good players, end of story. Have Charlton actually got any scouts or scouting system.Look at Brighton and Brentford not massive clubs but find fantastic players.All Charlton seem to do is keep Jonathan Fortune in business or Gallens mates.
  • edited August 2023
    Delfin said:
    Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Just out of interest @Swisdom, how does it work with you sending the Club Management a few players? I'd have thought a professional setup would ignore it as 'fan mail', or do they hold you in good regards for spotting decent players?
    It probably happens a lot tbh

i got to know Steve Gallen when we were thee hurt sponsors during Covid and we used to chat a bit.  He knew I had some scouting qualifications so knew I’m not a weirdo but that I genuinely want to help the club.  Every so often he would say what they were looking for and usually the criteria was “out of contract, soon to be out of contract or a free transfer”

so I would go out, look at  various stats depending on position, then I’d check their socials and see what type of person they were (no dickhead rule), then check out their contract status as per Transfermarkt as well as who their current agent is on there and see if that agent was already representing someone we have on our books so may have a relationship with, then watch as much footage as I can on my own Wyscout subscription, compile a report of strengths and weaknesses.  Then, if they seem a decent fit I would send in the name and report.

a lot goes into it and Steve appreciated I wasn’t just bombarding them with a teenagers wish list but I was actually doing a job for them for free.  If one signing comes of it then I’ll be proud and I’ve helped the club.

one I strongly suggested was ignored because he was “no better than we already have” according to one of our scouts.  I watched him for a couple of months at Dartford academy team. He just returned from Fulham’s pre season tour of America and is only 17 or 18.  So it’s frustrating sometimes.

The one I sent in this week is hugely exciting but I fear we are too late as he may be about to move on.  Again I only sent it to Charlie off the back of a conversation at the Gills game.  I don’t plan to make a habit out of badgering him but I do intend to try to have a chat with Andy Scott to see if i can develop a similar relationship with him.  It doesn’t cost them anything after all and, like I say, it only takes one player to sign from my recommendation and everyone is a winner.
    Reading your article about scouting and Charlton Athletic reminded me of the time I arranged a meeting in The Kings Head in Bexley village with two players that were willing to discuss transferring to Charlton, one was a goal scorer and crowd pleaser Alan Biley and up an coming midfielder Neil Webb both at Portsmouth at the time.My response from the manager at the time was , yes good players, end of story. Have Charlton actually got any scouts or scouting system.Look at Brighton and Brentford not massive clubs but find fantastic players.All Charlton seem to do is keep Jonathan Fortune in business or Gallens mates.

Your Scouting CV was what between 82-85?

This must be a wind up but both Brighton and Brentford are Premier clubs now with the wind fall that brings and I know three 17 year olds who joined Brentford in the Summer as they are going down the academy route again. 

Neil Webb who is 60 now joined Pompey for 80k in 82 and went to Nottingham forest for 250k in 85, Loads of money back then.
    The thought that Webb would come to cafc is laughable between those years when we were potless.

Gallen have moved on and Andy Scott is the technical director at Sparrows lane and will dove tail with Holden.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think Mcgrandles and Kirk will go late in the window once we have players fit and up to speed and any strikers signed. 

Did see from Nixon that Birmingham are trying to get Lukas Jutkewicz and Scott Hogan off their wage bill but neither really fit the bill of the type of player we've been going after. 
    Close.. Cosgrove is a player we are interested in 
  • Udoh, was good. But ACL Injury.....some players are never the same after. Would we take the risk?
  • Melrose said:
    Udoh, was good. But ACL Injury.....some players are never the same after. Would we take the risk?
    I’m guessing if it’s true then we would have at least watched all his pre-season and league games this season to see if he’s back to his old self 
  • NabySarr said:
    Melrose said:
    Udoh, was good. But ACL Injury.....some players are never the same after. Would we take the risk?
    I’m guessing if it’s true then we would have at least watched all his pre-season and league games this season to see if he’s back to his old self 
    Yep, I expect you're right. I suppose any signing is a bit of a gamble really
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Melrose said:
    Plus very stringent medical
  • 61 new posts, is it worth me trawling through?
  • I'm surprised people haven't learned their ratios on here yet. 60 new posts? Probably just a debate about soup. 200+? There's your rumour/signing.
    Good point, I’ll bare that in mind but what if there are 62, soup and croutons?
  • I'm surprised people haven't learned their ratios on here yet. 60 new posts? Probably just a debate about soup. 200+? There's your rumour/signing.
    Good point, I’ll bare that in mind but what if there are 62, soup and croutons?
    Soup, and how Aneke has burnt his tongue - out for 6 weeks.
  • Sam Cosgrove anyone? On ridiculous wages at Brum so would either need to be a loan or he takes a big pay cut.
    (page 281)

Reams on ITTV saying we’re in for Cosgrove as a target man option.
    not for me, just gives me Stockley vibes.