Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Southbank said:
    We have a great bellwether of what it takes to get promoted from this division. 18/19 wasn’t too long ago and our squad realistically is absolutely nowhere near as good. In that side almost every player was capable of and went on to play at a higher level. 

Keeper: Phillips
    Defence: Dijksteel, Pearce, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington
    Midfield: Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Aribo, Bielik
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant, Parker

Who out of our current squad gets in that 18/19 team?

Dobson for Pratley possibly. May for Parker and can arguably compete with Grant.

Honestly I can’t think of another player who even comes close.

Sobering comparison. We’re currently miles off.
    So true. The level of the division has not changed much. We are way off promotion level.
    Our squad isn't as good but I also think the league is weaker now than it was then
    The most comparable season to this one that we were in league 1 is probably 2020/21. We finished 7th then and our squad now isn’t far off that squad and I would expect we will have a better squad at the end of this window than we did that season 
  • Why would you want to sign the right back from Col U? He’s a year older than Asimwe who’s starting games a division higher and not looking at all out of place
  • Sam_777 said:
    Why would you want to sign the right back from Col U? He’s a year older than Asimwe who’s starting games a division higher and not looking at all out of place
    Tchamadeu would be an upgrade on Egbo, he has huge potential and for his age has played a lot of games. He’s better going forward than Asiimwe and can play on the left also. He’d be a brilliant signing, you need more than 1 good player in each position ideally 
  • It’s blatantly obvious that we need a big front man to support both May and to give Leaburn competition.
    But imho we need a nasty fucker who can put it about a bit - not unlike Lyle Taylor. Personally I’d go for JCH. 
    He looks tubby and lacked finesse today but he’d be the perfect foil for May and would help bring the likes of Taylor and Fraser into play.

• Valley11 said:
    It’s blatantly obvious that we need a big front man to support both May and to give Leaburn competition.
    But imho we need a nasty fucker who can put it about a bit - not unlike Lyle Taylor. Personally I’d go for JCH. 
    He looks tubby and lacked finesse today but he’d be the perfect foil for May and would help bring the likes of Taylor and Fraser into play.

I don’t think JCH all-round game is good enough to do those things. He’s good for goals but he doesn’t offer much else. Would still obviously be a great signing but they are probably asking for a lot more than he is actually worth 
  • Valley11 said:
    It’s blatantly obvious that we need a big front man to support both May and to give Leaburn competition.

I think the asking price for JCH will be way out of our range.
  • The sort of player I'd like us to have signed last month is someone like the former Millwall Matt Smith (the only Matt Smith who hasn't played for us). A big target man, an experienced old pro. 

A short term signing, as we need someone for this season.
  • Did the local press/Charlton TV ask Holden post match about signings? Seems very quiet. 
    Andy Scott still around? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't someone mention just before the takeover that there had been an enquiry for Dion Charles but Bolton were wanting millions and Charles has always been northern based? 
  • pleased to see the new owners when asked about Exeter striker , “ if we got to pay 800,000 upwards for him we can get someone better at that price “ 

That's common sense personally I offer it for Dion Charles of Bolton. 
    Bolton would want far more than that.
  • edited August 2023
    pleased to see the new owners when asked about Exeter striker , “ if we got to pay 800,000 upwards for him we can get someone better at that price “ 

Dion Charles is 28 soon and has never played for a club that isn't based in the north. Even if they accepted 800k (which i highly doubt) then i don't think he'd even want the move, especially as currently it looks like a downgrade.
  • Not sure I believe him, but Nixon saying cosgrove

• pleased to see the new owners when asked about Exeter striker , “ if we got to pay 800,000 upwards for him we can get someone better at that price “ 

Dion Charles is 28 soon and has never played for a club that isn't based in the north. Even if they accepted 800k (which i highly doubt) then i don't think he'd even want the move, especially as currently it looks like a downgrade.

Yeah there's no chance of Charles , Bolton wouldn't entertain any kind of bid for him. He's too vital to their promotion push to sell and especially not to the same division. Feels like we missed the boat on Colby Bishop last summer too. 

A big target man who did reasonably well with Plymouth last season, and presumably available, so a believable suggestion

• Definite interest in him. Would take him as think he's what we need with May, also would be great to come off the bench as and when leaburn returns. 

A big target man who did reasonably well with Plymouth last season, and presumably available, so a believable suggestion
    I'd have more confidence of us signing him if the rumour had of come from someone else. 
    Has anything that Nixon said ever come true. 
  • edited August 2023
    Not sure I believe him, but Nixon saying cosgrove

I'd have more confidence of us signing him if the rumour had of come from someone else. 
    Tayo Edun and he was right about Dabo, who failed his medical. Maybe he's got a better source since the new owners 🤷‍♂️
  • ButtleJR said:
    Not sure I believe him, but Nixon saying cosgrove

Tayo Edun and he was right about Dabo, who failed his medical. Maybe he's got a better source since the new owners 🤷‍♂️
    Either that or he reads the Plymouth Herald. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cosgrove would be a great signing and for what we need I can’t see how we would get better. 6ft 4 target man, just what May needs, and played 40 games scoring 12 for the league one champions last season.
  • Cosgrove would be a great signing and for what we need I can’t see how we would get better. 6ft 4 target man, just what May needs, and played 40 games scoring 12 for the league one champions last season.
    ‘Great’…. Not sure myself. Hasn’t got a fantastic record. 
    Maybe as one of two new strikers but I really think we should spend some money and go for Nombe or JCH if we’re serious about having a crack at top two and getting out of this shite league. 
  • edited August 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Cosgrove would be a great signing and for what we need I can’t see how we would get better. 6ft 4 target man, just what May needs, and played 40 games scoring 12 for the league one champions last season.
    ‘Great’…. Not sure myself. Hasn’t got a fantastic record. 
    Maybe as one of two new strikers but I really think we should spend some money and go for Nombe or JCH if we’re serious about having a crack at top two and getting out of this shite league. 
    1 in 4 isn't bad if he's there to be the big target man, if it benefits May/Leaburn next to him then him chipping in with double figures is pretty good actually.

I mean, I would probably prefer Nombe myself (seems to have more of an all round game) but if we've been priced out or negotiations keep dragging on then a reasonable alternative is a sensible plan.

Cosgrove has been mentioned on ITTV recently as a possible signing too.
  • I like Cosgrove, good player and we need more physicality. Our threat from set pieces is currently non-existent.

Get Cosgrove now and try and get a prem loan, go back in for Sam Nombe in January, jobs a gooden
  • Was thinking that a Magennis type would be ideal, hopefully he has a bit of that about him. Magennis was of course very mobile, so hoping Cosgrove would be more like that than fucking Stockley