Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Cosgrove would be fine as an option to have as 1 of 5 (counting Aneke here) but I'd like another option that's more competition for Leaburn when fit. 
  • Cosgrove would be a good signing, we need a physical striker that May can play off and we can rotate with Miles when he is back. 
  • Seems we are competing with derby and he's a northerner so could difficult. 
  • Is Cosgrove match fit? Can he come in and play immediately?
  • He was on the bench yesterday against Leeds, didn’t come on but presumably he’s there or there about fitness wise 
  • Valley11 said:
    It’s blatantly obvious that we need a big front man to support both May and to give Leaburn competition.
    But imho we need a nasty fucker who can put it about a bit - not unlike Lyle Taylor. Personally I’d go for JCH. 
    He looks tubby and lacked finesse today but he’d be the perfect foil for May and would help bring the likes of Taylor and Fraser into play.

I can’t see JCH coming to Charlton, surely he’s holding out for a Championship move and Championship wages, otherwise he’ll stay and run his contract down for a bigger pay day next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Signing one striker isn’t the answer we need at least two. A permanent and maybe a prem loan. 
    One at a time.
  • edited August 2023
    On the subject of JCH, it's interesting that I've seen a fair few people say he wouldn't be worth it, my cousin included.

I thought he was really decent and would have tremendously upgraded us. He kept hold of the ball, had 3 decent chances (one just hitting the post) and he brought their wingers into the game multiple times with his runs. 

Not saying he is a fantastic player by any stretch but another day he bags a brace, I think it's credit to our defence we nullified him. Most of our issues came from the wings which is expected when our wingbacks are playing attacking football. 

Also think in general Boros team was full of quality, in particular their centre halves, Archie Collins, Joel Randall and the two wingers. They're gonna hammer a team this season, some of their deliveries from open play were very clean.

So on that note can we just go and poach Peterboroughs recruitment team? They seem to have a real eye for a player and can't imagine their budget is any better than ours 
  • We have a great bellwether of what it takes to get promoted from this division. 18/19 wasn’t too long ago and our squad realistically is absolutely nowhere near as good. In that side almost every player was capable of and went on to play at a higher level. 

Keeper: Phillips
    Defence: Dijksteel, Pearce, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington
    Midfield: Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Aribo, Bielik
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant, Parker

Who out of our current squad gets in that 18/19 team?

Dobson for Pratley possibly. May for Parker and can arguably compete with Grant.

Honestly I can’t think of another player who even comes close.

Sobering comparison. We’re currently miles off.
    I would only take six from that squad. Dijksteel, Bauer, Cullen, Aribo, Bielek, Taylor. You can't really have Grant in there. I would ask, which of the current squad would get in the above squad? Dobson, Fraser perhaps, that may because we can measure their worth to the squad. AMB, Jones, Ness, Asiimwe, Anderson clearly have the potential and CBT, Campbell and May, on their day are a threat. It's also worth looking at the experience of the above squad and that may be where we are lacking in the current squad. 
  • I'd have Grant back like a shot, but you'd still need a big man to win the ball and get it in for him.
  • NabySarr said:
    Cosgrove had been terrible in English football up until last season. He was effective off the bench for Plymouth. I’m not sure he is that good a signing but at the moment we just need a body in there to give us a chance in the rest of the games this month. His last goal for Plymouth was in February, if he was that good then Plymouth would have signed him. 

Once Leaburn is back, Cosgrove coming off the bench is fine but I was hoping for better tbh. Feels like someone who can do a job rather than someone who’s going to get us promoted 
    Cosgrove helped get Plymouth promoted. Maybe they then thought he wasn't good enough for the Championship, or that there were better value options out there, but I couldn't care less about that this season.
  • Dion Charles is on his way to the Championship ?

With Bolton.
  • edited August 2023
    Whatever they are looking at player wise, message to whoever makes decisions, if there is a decision maker in the club... GET YA FU*KIN' FINGER OUT....clocks ticking
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Probably not on our radar, but think that Mo Eisa would be a good option still. Double figures in most seasons including a relegated MK last season. Already 2 in 2 this season. Think he’d be a good alternative to May.

May, Cosgrove, Leaburn, Eisa, and Aneke is strong. Maybe not realistic as that would be hard to keep everyone happy, but thought I would put it out there as I know it’s been discussed on here in previous windows.
    Surprised he has not been mentioned on here. Would be a good option, especially given we need to be signing 2 strikers
  • Sage said:
    Probably not on our radar, but think that Mo Eisa would be a good option still. Double figures in most seasons including a relegated MK last season. Already 2 in 2 this season. Think he’d be a good alternative to May.

May, Cosgrove, Leaburn, Eisa, and Aneke is strong. Maybe not realistic as that would be hard to keep everyone happy, but thought I would put it out there as I know it’s been discussed on here in previous windows.
    Not sure about eisa but if we go for a league 2 striker as a back up/squad option, I would offer Kanu for the season as part of the deal
  • Sage said:

Not sure about eisa but if we go for a league 2 striker as a back up/squad option, I would offer Kanu for the season as part of the deal
    Not sure many league 2 teams would be happy with Kanu, definitely not MK Dons. If he goes out on loan it will be non-league 
  • No premiership club will release any of their u23's with a bright future until the third week in August once they have got all of their squads together. We now need to be pitching hard to bring these players to the club, and we do have some good case studies to present to them, Cullen, JRS, Gallagher. 
    What could be of a disadvantage to us is that can we guarantee the parent club that we would play him every week ? With Leaburn and May surely they would be first choice front two.
  • edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:

Not sure many league 2 teams would be happy with Kanu, definitely not MK Dons. If he goes out on loan it will be non-league 

If Kanu goes out on loan, it has to be a league 2 minimum..🤷‍♂️ we need him to be tested at that level...
  • No premiership club will release any of their u23's with a bright future until the third week in August once they have got all of their squads together. We now need to be pitching hard to bring these players to the club, and we do have some good case studies to present to them, Cullen, JRS, Gallagher. 
    What could be of a disadvantage to us is that can we guarantee the parent club that we would play him every week ? With Leaburn and May surely they would be first choice front two.
    We signed JRS on 11th August last year, so I wouldn't say it's as fixed as the third week in August.
  • Sorry one week out
  • Bailey said:
    We have a great bellwether of what it takes to get promoted from this division. 18/19 wasn’t too long ago and our squad realistically is absolutely nowhere near as good. In that side almost every player was capable of and went on to play at a higher level. 

Keeper: Phillips
    Defence: Dijksteel, Pearce, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington
    Midfield: Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Aribo, Bielik
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant, Parker

Who out of our current squad gets in that 18/19 team?

Dobson for Pratley possibly. May for Parker and can arguably compete with Grant.

Honestly I can’t think of another player who even comes close.

Sobering comparison. We’re currently miles off.
    I would only take six from that squad. Dijksteel, Bauer, Cullen, Aribo, Bielek, Taylor. You can't really have Grant in there. I would ask, which of the current squad would get in the above squad? Dobson, Fraser perhaps, that may because we can measure their worth to the squad. AMB, Jones, Ness, Asiimwe, Anderson clearly have the potential and CBT, Campbell and May, on their day are a threat. It's also worth looking at the experience of the above squad and that may be where we are lacking in the current squad. 
    Agghhhh, "potential"

If only leagues were decided on that word.

This current squad is pathetic compared to 2018/19.

Shows how far we have fallen in 5 years.
    Absolutely this. Clubs like ours needs to cultivate good partnerships with Premier League clubs particularly those in and around London, where the player can remain local and not feel isolated and the parent club feels comfortable loaning them. Palace, West Ham and Chelsea are probably better hunting grounds for us because of relatively recent successes but I think we’ve burnt some bridges with Arsenal and Spurs by taking players with absolutely prospect of first team opportunities. 
  • Leuth said:
    Was thinking that a Magennis type would be ideal, hopefully he has a bit of that about him. Magennis was of course very mobile, so hoping Cosgrove would be more like that than fucking Stockley
    Magennis was more mobile than Stockley, but very mobile would be a stretch