Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• There are a lot of positives that come with Cosgrove if he is to be the one to arrive. 
    With the set up we’re working towards, he’ll be a pleasant surprise to a few.
    Loan market can then be utilised for another off the shoulder type forward. 
    This will allow Kanu to go and get minutes elsewhere. 
  • Valley11 said:
    I thought he'd go to Palace tbh. 
  • Main issue with Cosgrove is he is on £20k a week at Birmingham, although his contract ends in the summer.

We may need to settle for loaning him and covering some of his wages, as per the arrangement Plymouth had for him last season.

If he does well we could bring him in on a free next season, albeit he would need to take a wage cut something I am sure he is going to need to do wherever he goes next season.
  • I'd hope it would be Cosgrove + 1 in terms of strikers in. Then an RWB (wouldn't mind if it is Sess ) and potentially a creative midfielder if Fraser is a long term absentee. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd hope it would be Cosgrove + 1 in terms of strikers in. Then an RWB (wouldn't mind if it is Sess ) and potentially a creative midfielder if Fraser is a long term absentee. 
    Cosgrove, a Prem loanee pacey striker to cover May, Sess, Moxon at Carlisle, a Prem loanee central defender.

So 5 more. Quite a bit if work that and for all Gallen’s detractors, we don’t have a well known and well connected conduit for the loans, at least. 
  • Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd hope it would be Cosgrove + 1 in terms of strikers in. Then an RWB (wouldn't mind if it is Sess ) and potentially a creative midfielder if Fraser is a long term absentee. 
    Cosgrove, a Prem loanee pacey striker to cover May, Sess, Moxon at Carlisle, a Prem loanee central defender.

So 5 more. Quite a bit if work that and for all Gallen’s detractors, we don’t have a well known and well connected conduit for the loans, at least. 
    Andy Scott has been working in recruitment since 2015 and has had roles at Brentford, Swansea, Watford and Forest. I’d argue he’s more well known than Gallen who’s only recruitment roles have been with us since 2017.
    Yes you’re right. Forgot about Scott for a moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pudds said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Need a creative midfielder regardless. Cannot rely on Fraser to stay fit and blows hot and cold

Think that would probably mean Payne being added to the exit list (I'm fine with that I haven't been overly convinced by him) , oh to find someone on loan in the mould of Conor Gallagher ;) 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Yeah I agree with this. Providing we can get players out, I would like a RWB, a Striker, another CM (would quite like Joe Powell of Burton) and a left sided CB.

If we can get 3 out of those four, I’d be happy. 
  • Prem CB, I wonder if Palace would loan us Chris Francis who played the first half at Welling? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Pudds said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Need a creative midfielder regardless. Cannot rely on Fraser to stay fit and blows hot and cold

Think that would probably mean Payne being added to the exit list (I'm fine with that I haven't been overly convinced by him) , oh to find someone on loan in the mould of Conor Gallagher ;) 
    I don’t think Holden trusts Payne to play in the midfield 3 (and I agree with that judgement). But he does seem to like using him off the bench or further forward like on Saturday. Payne hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’s still done alright and chipped in with the odd goal or assist from the bench which is useful to have 
  • Others in our squad I would prefer to move on before Payne. That being said, if reducing the squad is a necessity before we can bring anyone in and we can’t get any takers for Kirk, DJ etc then we’ll need to let others go. 
  • Charlie Kirk out on loan even if we have to pay half his wages.
    DJ hopefully would be wanted by League 2 club.
    If both Charlie and DJ were not worthy of being in our squad last season then surely not this season when we want to kick on.
    In football you take a hit with players that don't fit in. It happens to every club.
    I'm sure that Andy Scott is working hard with his network of contracts to get the unwanted out and get a few better signings in.
  • NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Pudds said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I don’t think Holden trusts Payne to play in the midfield 3 (and I agree with that judgement). But he does seem to like using him off the bench or further forward like on Saturday. Payne hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’s still done alright and chipped in with the odd goal or assist from the bench which is useful to have 
    He uses him because there's nobody else!
  • Sponsored links:

• Now Fraser is injured who takes the penalties if we get any?
    I have some doubts as to whether May would be the right choice.
  • seth plum said:
    Now Fraser is injured who takes the penalties if we get any?
    Least of our worries, I'm sure someone can score a penalty.

Suspect it would be May anyway.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/alfie-may-happy-to-take-on-penalty-taking-role-at-charlton-athletic/
  • wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    We have a great bellwether of what it takes to get promoted from this division. 18/19 wasn’t too long ago and our squad realistically is absolutely nowhere near as good. In that side almost every player was capable of and went on to play at a higher level. 

Keeper: Phillips
    Defence: Dijksteel, Pearce, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington
    Midfield: Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Aribo, Bielik
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant, Parker

Who out of our current squad gets in that 18/19 team?

Sobering comparison. We’re currently miles off.
    Look at the team that started the 2018/19 promotion season though.
    To draw direct comparison with our current campaign after 2 games, this was the line up in our 2-1 home win v Shrewsbury Town:

Phillips, Page,  Bauer,  Marshall Taylor, Pratley,  Aribo, Grant, Solly, Sarr, Lapslie.
    Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Dijksteel, Maloney, Ajose, Morgan, Hackett-Fairchild.

Note in particular no Cullen, Bielik, Purrington, Williams, Parker even.
    Starting with Mark Marshall, George Lapslie, Lewis Page and Chris Solly; plus Ajose and a host of unproven youngsters on the bench, Maynard-Brewer, Dijksteel, Maloney, Morgan and Henry Hackett-Lovechild :)

Sarr and Dijksteel didn't establish themselves until during the the 2nd half of the season.

Right now, our squad is not fully assembled, but what's so deifferent than 5 years ago? That 2018/19 promotion side only started putting a run together during the last 12 games, from around the beginning of March - once the injured began to return,

As always, it's a long old season.

But it did have Taylor and Grant up front.  You can actually be quite average if you have strikers that can hold onto the ball and be threatening. 
    I grant you that, although Chuks Vetokele missed huge chunks of the season out injured.

We have Leaburn out injured and arguably he's the nearest we have right now to Lyle Taylor - if Taylor had been injured, think how stuffed we'd have been then with just Grant up front? And we did in fact find out in the Championship the following season, when Taylor crocked himself playing for his country and missing for several months.

Once Grant was sold, Parker was signed last minute in desperation - but at least he could effectively play as foil for Taylor.
    Right now, we don't even have that, erm ..... luxury of playing Josh Parker! 

• seth plum said:
    Now Fraser is injured who takes the penalties if we get any?
    Least of our worries, I'm sure someone can score a penalty.

Suspect it would be May anyway.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/alfie-may-happy-to-take-on-penalty-taking-role-at-charlton-athletic/
    Suspect we won't be awarded any penalties ..... (!)

:neutral:

• In the absence of Fraser and Taylor, the set pieces were a shambles on Saturday. Never mind a penalty taker, we need a corner taker!
  • edited August 2023
    Looks like talk of the U-21 trialist keeper coming in?

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=48454

Edit: Just seen reading back up the thread, the nighthawks on here beat me to it.
    Why is it this site loads the latest post first .... ? 

• Oggy Red said:
    Looks like talk of the U-21 trialist keeper coming in?

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=48454

Can he play up front 
  • In the absence of Fraser and Taylor, the set pieces were a shambles on Saturday. Never mind a penalty taker, we need a corner taker!
    Anderson put one decent corner in, followed up by another that hit the first man.