Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

1) The new owners knew we had a crap squad before they closed the deal
    2) The new owners say they have ambitions to take the club forwards 
    3) The new owners suggested they would invest 

All that was obvious before the season started, so what did they do to prepare us for the new campaign?

Its not the new owners fault that 8-10 players are already injured some 3 games into the season, but anyone who has followed us over the past few seasons would not be surprised by how we have started and how lightweight and threadbare our squad really is.

If the new owners were to say "Our project will take XXX years, but this is how we will go about improving the club", most fans would listen.

Methven [who owns 5%] , who is the mouthpiece of the new owners has said [SLP - 24 July 2023]….

"Football clubs are very multi-faceted enterprises. You have got your retail operation, hospitality operation, the performance side, ticketing side – it is an awful lot of decisions for one person to get right on their own.

It’s asking a lot for that one person to be that all-singing, all dancing type of one-man show. Very often the people who come into football ownership don’t come from industries that have anything to do with any of those facets. So to expect them to learn everything about six or seven disciplines and then make all the decisions themselves, that is really challenging. We have a breadth of experience and also a breadth of capital base"

But I do not see any real vision and ambition through these new owners, who seem to be in it to make a profit and nothing else. They should have a clear vision or plan about the squad, the stadium ownership and how the club will get into the Championship.

I hope we do not stumble through another season like the last few and sorry to say this, but Methven is not a likeable or believable character,

Profit you say. How does that work exactly ?
    The mythical group waiting in line to buy the club for £40m in January.
    Nothing would surprise me !
  • BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

All that was obvious before the season started, so what did they do to prepare us for the new campaign?

Its not the new owners fault that 8-10 players are already injured some 3 games into the season, but anyone who has followed us over the past few seasons would not be surprised by how we have started and how lightweight and threadbare our squad really is.

If the new owners were to say "Our project will take XXX years, but this is how we will go about improving the club", most fans would listen.

Methven [who owns 5%] , who is the mouthpiece of the new owners has said [SLP - 24 July 2023]….

"Football clubs are very multi-faceted enterprises. You have got your retail operation, hospitality operation, the performance side, ticketing side – it is an awful lot of decisions for one person to get right on their own.

It’s asking a lot for that one person to be that all-singing, all dancing type of one-man show. Very often the people who come into football ownership don’t come from industries that have anything to do with any of those facets. So to expect them to learn everything about six or seven disciplines and then make all the decisions themselves, that is really challenging. We have a breadth of experience and also a breadth of capital base"

But I do not see any real vision and ambition through these new owners, who seem to be in it to make a profit and nothing else. They should have a clear vision or plan about the squad, the stadium ownership and how the club will get into the Championship.

I hope we do not stumble through another season like the last few and sorry to say this, but Methven is not a likeable or believable character,

Maybe they should look at Brighton as an example of how to run a club properly AND make money?

My suggestion is that this lot are only in it shorter term and that will be unlikely to yield the profit the 7 new owners will probably want.

If Brighton hadn't got promoted when they did it would be a very different story.
  • edited August 2023
    There’s only one way to make a profit, personally I’m all for it. I hope Friedman and Bremer make a load of money by the time they’ve sold the club. 
    True, but its unlikely to be quick.

Will they stay the course and put in all the cash it will require ?
  • BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

Maybe they should look at Brighton as an example of how to run a club properly AND make money?

My suggestion is that this lot are only in it shorter term and that will be unlikely to yield the profit the 7 new owners will probably want.

If Brighton hadn't got promoted when they did it would be a very different story.
    Luton - were they lucky too? I'd be happy in the Championship !

We have been badly owned and run for years.

That is what needs to change, IMO
  • BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

4) the new owners made it clear that their goals are realistic and attainable.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

What ARE their goals though?    Ipswich lost £7m+ the year they went up.   We will need to spend at least £3m more this year than we did last and season ticket sales, away ticket sales etc SHOULD be higher this year than last year as people dwindled away with Sandgaard's batshit crazy plans.

So, we need to spend £3m on players - I would hope wages neutralise if we can trim the squad and remove the higher earners not doing anything - Kirk, DJ etc - Stockley has gone, others have left too - so, if they bought the club for £11m+ and didn't expect to spend AT LEAST £5m this year before seeing monies start to come in, then more fool them.

We need three significant signings and three or four good loans.

If not, we will struggle to make the play offs.   It's THAT simple.

It's NOT my money, I know that - but if I was rich enough to buy a massively underperforming football club, I'd know it needed money spending on it to make it perform properly.

We have a nucleus of FREE players - our youth players who have made it to the first team.  So we are in a better position than some others - but if we don't buy established performers, we will not get out of this tin pot league.

• edited August 2023
    So, we’re now talking about penalties and the owners current and past on the rumours thread.
  • Sambcafc said:
    Trivante Stewart posted on his instagram from the airport today, so if he is joining us you’d expect it to be in the next few days…
    Just in time to start alongside Alfie tomorrow night !

• Sponsored links:

• So, we’re now talking about penalties and the owners current and past on the rumours thread.
    Come on, Martin ...... you know the score.

This is the thread for venting angst,  discussing tactical ineptness and past players, trashing the new owners and Ronnie Moore.
    If you want transfer rumours - well, there ain't any.

:wink:

• Sambcafc said:
    Trivante Stewart posted on his instagram from the airport today, so if he is joining us you’d expect it to be in the next few days…
    Interesting Barnet for the flight!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

Noted.

Without the fans on side, such goals will be unrealisable.

• Dizzle said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Interesting Barnet for the flight!
    Ha yes, I thought it was the tiling behind! I'm getting old!
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d sooner keep dj and Kirk over mcCrappy and Payne 
    Can we establish a forum rule where if you're trying to come up with a negative nickname for one of our players it has to be at the very least not completely braindead level bad? I'm not asking for much, just the basics. At least make it look like it's even glanced at a pun on its way out
    Mansfield 
  • shirty5 said:
    I’d sooner keep dj and Kirk over mcCrappy and Payne 
    Can we establish a forum rule where if you're trying to come up with a negative nickname for one of our players it has to be at the very least not completely braindead level bad? I'm not asking for much, just the basics. At least make it look like it's even glanced at a pun on its way out
    Mansfield 
    Ugh
  • Oggy Red said:
    So, we’re now talking about penalties and the owners current and past on the rumours thread.
    Come on, Martin ...... you know the score.

This is the thread for venting angst,  discussing tactical ineptness and past players, trashing the new owners and Ronnie Moore.
    If you want transfer rumours - well, there ain't any.

:wink:

Ssssshhhhhhh, don’t mention my real name on here, keep schtum.

I know, I know but it’s so bleeding frustrating, don’tcha think   @oggyred?
  • edited August 2023
    Scoham said:
    Sambcafc said:

That hairstyle is one way to pass the CL height test.

@Leuth beat me to it
  • I'm not optimistic. He can't even tie his shoelaces  :)
    excellent!!, he will be an expert at being "tripped" in the box.
  • Scoham said:
    Sambcafc said:

I’ve checked the flight manifest and apparently he’s off to Germany.

Cafc fans are train spotters not plane spotters.
  • Scoham said:
    Sambcafc said:

I’ve checked the flight manifest and apparently he’s off to Germany.
    Charlton via a few pints at Munich?