Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• redbuttle said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Looks like talk of the U-21 trialist keeper coming in?

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=48454

Can he play up front 
    He might have to !!

• If he plays, in the absence of anybody better, Jack Payne should take the corners.
  • So hope we start to see some movement this week. We do not want to be stuck with those Dean does not favour in the last week of the window, clogging up the opportunity to bring a few in that he does want. Even if we have a very young bench for a game or two, sounds like the end result for the rest of the season will be worth it. 
  • There is a decent sized list of players I would be looking to offoad before Payne. He lacks a bit of quality ultimately but gives a lot of energy, does score goals and can be very useful from the bench. Would a team of Payne's get us where we want to be, certainly not, but he is a useful player for us. You do have to play a squad game and he is a decent squad player.
    While I agree with you it's also about having someone who another team is actually going to want. Payne having that energy off the bench makes him more appealing than say Kirk, to others as well as our own team.

I would much rather see DJ or Kirk go before Payne or McGrandles but if someone is actually going to take any one of those 4, fine by me, let them.
  • So hope we start to see some movement this week. We do not want to be stuck with those Dean does not favour in the last week of the window, clogging up the opportunity to bring a few in that he does want. Even if we have a very young bench for a game or two, sounds like the end result for the rest of the season will be worth it. 

Agree:
    Despite the happy life coach words of Nigel Adkins after his summer window he was frustrated with his on field problems where he was just a small part of the players incoming.

Ben Garner was so discombobulated with the summer window and the bullshit of Thomas Sandgaard that he said out loud in September we would struggle to reach the play-offs.

Andy Scott and Dean Holden must do their utmost; I believe they are but getting unwanted Championship players on 20k a week is a tad difficult to sell the project if you can only offer less than half.

The next 16 days are critical and we need everyone to step up to the plate to cover for the injured and the wait for reinforcements.

About time we purchase a steam roller to flatten the bumpy road that we have been stuck on for years.
  • I think we can offload DJ to League 2 easily enough. There will also be takers for Kirk. I Would want to keep Payne and McGrandles as weakening the squad sounds counter productive. Maybe if we bring a few in we go down the list and Payne might be on it. I'm saying he is a fair way up the list now so we shouldn't be having that conversation yet. Maybe have it when it is relevant. Tomorrow, Payne is probably our best option to play with May.
  • Thought Kirk put in a couple of decent balls - not enough to warrant staying but he's showing desire. 
  • I think we can offload DJ to League 2 easily enough. There will also be takers for Kirk. I Would want to keep Payne and McGrandles as weakening the squad sounds counter productive. Maybe if we bring a few in we go down the list and Payne might be on it. I'm saying he is a fair way up the list now so we shouldn't be having that conversation yet. Maybe have it when it is relevant. Tomorrow, Payne is probably our best option to play with May.
    Trouble is, these guys are on decent wages, and unlikely to want to take a pay cut to join another club, hence the loans last year, and we still paid 50% or 80% of wages in one players case. 

It is tough to get rid of players than it is to sign!
  • Oggy Red said:
    Looks like talk of the U-21 trialist keeper coming in?

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=48454

Can he play up front 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Thought Kirk put in a couple of decent balls - not enough to warrant staying but he's showing desire. 
    Only because it wasn't raining!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Thought Kirk put in a couple of decent balls - not enough to warrant staying but he's showing desire. 
    Didn’t show much desire to take free kick in the last minute 
    Problem with sending DJ and Kirk to league 2 is that we might still end up paying as much as 50-70% of their wages for that to work. If that’s the case then it might be decided that we’d rather keep them than pay them that much to play for someone else 
  • I’d sooner keep dj and Kirk over mcCrappy and Payne 
  • sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Probably not on our radar, but think that Mo Eisa would be a good option still. Double figures in most seasons including a relegated MK last season. Already 2 in 2 this season. Think he’d be a good alternative to May.

May, Cosgrove, Leaburn, Eisa, and Aneke is strong. Maybe not realistic as that would be hard to keep everyone happy, but thought I would put it out there as I know it’s been discussed on here in previous windows.
    Not sure about eisa but if we go for a league 2 striker as a back up/squad option, I would offer Kanu for the season as part of the deal
    Not sure many league 2 teams would be happy with Kanu, definitely not MK Dons. If he goes out on loan it will be non-league 

If Kanu goes out on loan, it has to be a league 2 minimum..🤷‍♂️ we need him to be tested at that level...
    I’m not sure he’s ready. What if he goes to league 2 and doesn’t do particularly well? Not good for his development if he’s sat around for months not playing 
    I agree, I don’t yet think Kanu is good enough for League Two. He needs a solid non-league loan.

Keep it local, somewhere like Ebbsfleet where he can play alongside Dominic Poleon, learn from hI’m, and have Chris Solly around for good influence too.
    Totally agree with you.......but If he's not good enough for League 2 football then what the f**k is he doing on our bench....and coming on in the 2nd half  !
    He is on our bench because our squad is poor.

And that situation will not change unless Gobby Methven and Absent Scott do their jobs 
    What on earth are you on about
    I think he mean that Methen talks the talk but not much else. And that Scott hasn't done anything since he's been back in post.

Have we signed anyone since SE7 Partners actually took over  ?
    Exactly - am I not entitled to make those points !??
  • If we can get Taylor fit, then McGrandles is the most expendable of the reserves, seeing that the emergence of Anderson has given us 4 options for the midfield engine room 2, Dobson, Camara, Taylor and Anderson. A decent Fraser alternative would be more useful for the squad balance.
  • Hopefully not the case but I am starting to get a slight worry we are being set up to hear another end of transfer window set of excuses for not having the squad we really need.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Probably not on our radar, but think that Mo Eisa would be a good option still. Double figures in most seasons including a relegated MK last season. Already 2 in 2 this season. Think he’d be a good alternative to May.

May, Cosgrove, Leaburn, Eisa, and Aneke is strong. Maybe not realistic as that would be hard to keep everyone happy, but thought I would put it out there as I know it’s been discussed on here in previous windows.
    Not sure about eisa but if we go for a league 2 striker as a back up/squad option, I would offer Kanu for the season as part of the deal
    Not sure many league 2 teams would be happy with Kanu, definitely not MK Dons. If he goes out on loan it will be non-league 

If Kanu goes out on loan, it has to be a league 2 minimum..🤷‍♂️ we need him to be tested at that level...
    I’m not sure he’s ready. What if he goes to league 2 and doesn’t do particularly well? Not good for his development if he’s sat around for months not playing 
    I agree, I don’t yet think Kanu is good enough for League Two. He needs a solid non-league loan.

Keep it local, somewhere like Ebbsfleet where he can play alongside Dominic Poleon, learn from hI’m, and have Chris Solly around for good influence too.
    Totally agree with you.......but If he's not good enough for League 2 football then what the f**k is he doing on our bench....and coming on in the 2nd half  !

And that situation will not change unless Gobby Methven and Absent Scott do their jobs 
    I think he mean that Methen talks the talk but not much else. And that Scott hasn't done anything since he's been back in post.

CM can’t comment on the day to day running of the club because he not involved in it … 
    Ronnie for about 3 months you said CM wasn't involved in the takeover...
  • sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:

CM can’t comment on the day to day running of the club because he not involved in it … 
    But he can do:-

Talk to Radio London

Do a Q&A with Curbs and Gritt
  • edited August 2023
    A few points 

1) The new owners knew we had a crap squad before they closed the deal
    2) The new owners say they have ambitions to take the club forwards 
    3) The new owners suggested they would invest 

All that was obvious before the season started, so what did they do to prepare us for the new campaign?

Its not the new owners fault that 8-10 players are already injured some 3 games into the season, but anyone who has followed us over the past few seasons would not be surprised by how we have started and how lightweight and threadbare our squad really is.

If the new owners were to say "Our project will take XXX years, but this is how we will go about improving the club", most fans would listen.

Methven [who owns 5%] , who is the mouthpiece of the new owners has said [SLP - 24 July 2023]….

"Football clubs are very multi-faceted enterprises. You have got your retail operation, hospitality operation, the performance side, ticketing side – it is an awful lot of decisions for one person to get right on their own.

It’s asking a lot for that one person to be that all-singing, all dancing type of one-man show. Very often the people who come into football ownership don’t come from industries that have anything to do with any of those facets. So to expect them to learn everything about six or seven disciplines and then make all the decisions themselves, that is really challenging. We have a breadth of experience and also a breadth of capital base"

But I do not see any real vision and ambition through these new owners, who seem to be in it to make a profit and nothing else. They should have a clear vision or plan about the squad, the stadium ownership and how the club will get into the Championship.

I hope we do not stumble through another season like the last few and sorry to say this, but Methven is not a likeable or believable character,

• BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

All that was obvious before the season started, so what did they do to prepare us for the new campaign?

Its not the new owners fault that 8-10 players are already injured some 3 games into the season, but anyone who has followed us over the past few seasons would not be surprised by how we have started and how lightweight and threadbare our squad really is.

If the new owners were to say "Our project will take XXX years, but this is how we will go about improving the club", most fans would listen.

Methven [who owns 5%] , who is the mouthpiece of the new owners has said [SLP - 24 July 2023]….

"Football clubs are very multi-faceted enterprises. You have got your retail operation, hospitality operation, the performance side, ticketing side – it is an awful lot of decisions for one person to get right on their own.

It’s asking a lot for that one person to be that all-singing, all dancing type of one-man show. Very often the people who come into football ownership don’t come from industries that have anything to do with any of those facets. So to expect them to learn everything about six or seven disciplines and then make all the decisions themselves, that is really challenging. We have a breadth of experience and also a breadth of capital base"

But I do not see any real vision and ambition through these new owners, who seem to be in it to make a profit and nothing else. They should have a clear vision or plan about the squad, the stadium ownership and how the club will get into the Championship.

I hope we do not stumble through another season like the last few and sorry to say this, but Methven is not a likeable or believable character,

Profit you say. How does that work exactly ?
  • BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

The mythical group waiting in line to buy the club for £40m in January.
  • edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    A few points 

Maybe they should look at Brighton as an example of how to run a club properly AND make money?

My suggestion is that this lot are only in it shorter term and that will be unlikely to yield the profit the 7 new owners will probably want.