Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Just to add to my above comment, Alfie May, the man who was going to score all our goals, scored a goal every 168 minutes last season. Cosgrove scored one every 164 minutes…
    May also repeated that the year before and was playing in a poor side. Cosgrove had 2 absolutely terrible loans at poor league 1 teams the year before. He also hasn’t scored since February, so it could easily just have been a purple patch coming off the bench for one of the best teams in the league 1. 

It’s a decent signing, nothing special, but considering we just need a body in at the moment to play that role then we need to get it done asap this week 
  • Are we assuming Cosgrove would be a permanent signing or a loan? Sounds ideal to me… just someone who can clearly operate at this level to go with May will make a huge difference I think 
  • Chris Solly played 301 league games for Charlton over 11 Seasons and at least 6 of those seasons his knee was giving him issues.
    In his last season he only played 14 games and wasn't in Lee Bowyer's plans.

Chris Solly had his own training plan for many seasons where he would exercise on a stationary bike or in a pool. He took part with the other players but only on a limited amount of days a week.
    Because of COVID it was uncertain when the season would start up again and I was led to believe that Solly was giving his knee a rest and this led to his decision to opt out of the remainder of the season.
    Solly didn't sign for Ebbsfleet until 11 December and found that standard a lot easier.
    36 and 38 league games followed over the next two seasons.

I want to remember Chris Solly for his 301 games for Cafc not when he had already fallen out with Lee Bowyer. A top championship RB at his best who had to overcome many fitness issues to reach that milestone.

That’s all great and admirable, refusing to play whilst under contract is not, it undid everything prior to that in my eyes. 
  • edited August 2023
    TeeC said:
    Are we assuming Cosgrove would be a permanent signing or a loan? Sounds ideal to me… just someone who can clearly operate at this level to go with May will make a huge difference I think 
    Permanent I'd presume - year left on his contract.
  • NabySarr said:
    Just to add to my above comment, Alfie May, the man who was going to score all our goals, scored a goal every 168 minutes last season. Cosgrove scored one every 164 minutes…
    May also repeated that the year before and was playing in a poor side. Cosgrove had 2 absolutely terrible loans at poor league 1 teams the year before. He also hasn’t scored since February, so it could easily just have been a purple patch coming off the bench for one of the best teams in the league 1. 

It’s a decent signing, nothing special, but considering we just need a body in at the moment to play that role then we need to get it done asap this week 
    May also has had two decent seasons in his career and is now 30. Cosgrove done well in the SPL at 22/23. He also missed most of March and then started something like 3 games when he got back. Looking at his substitute appearances, he came on a few times after the 80 min mark. 

Bottom line is his goals per minutes ratio is about 1 in 2 and given his size he would always give us something different. Agreed, a solid signing, much better than we have at the moment and he improves us, and probably May as an individual too. 
  • thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Just to add to my above comment, Alfie May, the man who was going to score all our goals, scored a goal every 168 minutes last season. Cosgrove scored one every 164 minutes…

May also has had two decent seasons in his career and is now 30. Cosgrove done well in the SPL at 22/23. He also missed most of March and then started something like 3 games when he got back. Looking at his substitute appearances, he came on a few times after the 80 min mark. 

Bottom line is his goals per minutes ratio is about 1 in 2 and given his size he would always give us something different. Agreed, a solid signing, much better than we have at the moment and he improves us, and probably May as an individual too. 
    45 goals a game is nigh on Haalandian...  :p
    yeah worded that terribly, obviously meant that on his goals per minutes, it's akin to a goal every 2 games if he were to start. Even 1 in 4 is fine alongside May with Leaburn to come back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

yeah worded that terribly, obviously meant that on his goals per minutes, it's akin to a goal every 2 games if he were to start. Even 1 in 4 is fine alongside May with Leaburn to come back. 
    Yeah I see what you mean and I agree. If he can get into double figures that's pretty good if May and Leaburn are both more in the 15-20 range.
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

Yeah I see what you mean and I agree. If he can get into double figures that's pretty good if May and Leaburn are both more in the 15-20 range.
    Definitely. If you can 35-40 goals from your main 2 and then 15-20 from your next 2 you’re nearly there in terms of top 6. 
  • At least we are not alone. Chelsea have spent about 750mio and started with two wingers up front and burstow on the bench. Theyre spending is mental, why are they not signing a proper forward!?
  • edited August 2023
    And further, in 2018/19 after losing Lewis Page early on, we went months with no proper left back until Purrington was signed during January.

And during virtually the whole of February, during a disappointing and sterile run, we could barely field a fit striker up front.
    We still got promoted.

• Oggy Red said:
    And further, in 2018/19 after losing Lewis Page early on, we went months with no proper left back until Purrington was signed during January.

And during virtually the whole of February, during a disappointing and sterile run, we could barely field a fit striker up front.
    We still got promoted.

Which is why I would still like another left sided defender as one of our signings before deadline day.

Edun looks good, but we need someone to compete / rotate with him.
  • edited August 2023
    Richard J said:
    Oggy Red said:

We still got promoted.

Which is why I would still like another left sided defender as one of our signings before deadline day.

Edun looks good, but we need someone to compete / rotate with him.
    Definitely, Richard.

But my point was, even with all the holes in the squad, including no available 1st choice LB let alone cover for half a season - we still got promoted.

It'll be great to get the squad fully assembled asap .... but if it doesn't happen straightaway, it doesn't have to mean our season will be written off before it's barely began.

Anyway, we'll still need signings again in January. Every team does.

• Sage said:
    Finally it’s nice to see people seeing how far off we are without some being labelled as negative.

Definitely need another centre back, wing back, winger as CBT won’t last all season, 2 strikers and probably an attacking midfielder.

Lots of work to do before the window shuts. I’m not currently convinced the new owner’s understand the scale of work needed to get us where we want to be.
    I'm not sure that the new owners will be aware of very much at the moment other than what methven is telling them.
    This.

I really don't think they are that bothered & certainly have no idea what the current state of affairs is with the team, injuries and lack of players in certainly positions. 

There is something to be said by having a Jack Walker or Dave Whelan is an owner rather than a bunch of faceless individuals who live abroad.
  • Sessegnon would be a perfect player to bring in if he can get and stay fit, but I'd prefer we got in another player that is and can stay fit.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    At least we are not alone. Chelsea have spent about 750mio and started with two wingers up front and burstow on the bench. Theyre spending is mental, why are they not signing a proper forward!?
    Exeter are still asking too much for Nombe
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Been on trial with us for all of pre season and played a few of the development squad games. 
  • We needed a keeper for the 21s team after Kone went to Qatar. Adegoke has been playing all the 21s friendlies as “Trialist” I believe.
  • I think Cosgrove is a serious option but I’m confident we’ve also other irons in the fire. 
    I can't believe we haven't but we need to pull one of them out of the fire pretty quickly. Apart from lost points, we know what can happen when you are trying to sign a player at the closing point of the window. Well it often happens to us so we should.
    We have three weeks to get the players we want , that may mean waiting until the club in question  sign their target first .. we wait to get the right player not just sign someone to please the fans who won’t play once Leaburn and Aneke come back 
    Can you put that together again, none of it makes sense.
  • Oggy Red said:
    We have a great bellwether of what it takes to get promoted from this division. 18/19 wasn’t too long ago and our squad realistically is absolutely nowhere near as good. In that side almost every player was capable of and went on to play at a higher level. 

Keeper: Phillips
    Defence: Dijksteel, Pearce, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington
    Midfield: Pratley, Cullen, Williams, Aribo, Bielik
    Forwards: Taylor, Grant, Parker

Who out of our current squad gets in that 18/19 team?

Sobering comparison. We’re currently miles off.
    Look at the team that started the 2018/19 promotion season though.
    To draw direct comparison with our current campaign after 2 games, this was the line up in our 2-1 home win v Shrewsbury Town:

Phillips, Page,  Bauer,  Marshall Taylor, Pratley,  Aribo, Grant, Solly, Sarr, Lapslie.
    Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Dijksteel, Maloney, Ajose, Morgan, Hackett-Fairchild.

Note in particular no Cullen, Bielik, Purrington, Williams, Parker even.
    Starting with Mark Marshall, George Lapslie, Lewis Page and Chris Solly; plus Ajose and a host of unproven youngsters on the bench, Maynard-Brewer, Dijksteel, Maloney, Morgan and Henry Hackett-Lovechild :)

Sarr and Dijksteel didn't establish themselves until during the the 2nd half of the season.

Right now, our squad is not fully assembled, but what's so deifferent than 5 years ago? That 2018/19 promotion side only started putting a run together during the last 12 games, from around the beginning of March - once the injured began to return,

As always, it's a long old season.

But it did have Taylor and Grant up front.  You can actually be quite average if you have strikers that can hold onto the ball and be threatening. 
  • That team you quote is better than what we currently have all over the pitch.

Phillips is better than AMB
    Bauer is far better than any CB we have
    Aribo is better than any CM we have
    Taylor & Grant far better than our current forward line.

All it does is highlight how far away we are from a promo standard side. The 2018/19 team only needed a few good signings at that stage. The current side needs ALOT of good new players to get to top 3 standard.

• CAFCsayer said:
    At least we are not alone. Chelsea have spent about 750mio and started with two wingers up front and burstow on the bench. Theyre spending is mental, why are they not signing a proper forward!?
    because if does not matter what level of spending you are at buying a striker is the most difficult position of all .. 
  • League One club Charlton Athletic are on the verge of confirming the signing of 2019 Golden Eaglets invitee Prince Adegoke.

Adegoke has already taken to social media to bid farewell to Chelsea ahead of his imminent transfer to The Addicks. 

Charlton Athletic have handed the promising goalkeeper a one-year contract, with the option of an additional season, following a successful trial. 

• CAFCsayer said:
    because if does not matter what level of spending you are at buying a striker is the most difficult position of all .. 
    Its not really that difficult, theyve just spent 110mio on a defensive mid