Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Edun was expected to leave Rovers in January after struggling for game time. However, a loan deal to Charlton Athletic fell down after Callum Brittain's injury, which kept him out until February. 

Cardiff City approached Rovers with a loan offer on deadline day, offering to cover Edun's salary in full, but the club turned it down with Tomasson taking the view that having a full squad was essential after a difficult window, although Edun didn't feature again.

Edun's lack of football means his stock is lower than this time a year ago. However, there remain interested parties. Charlton and Cardiff are keeping tabs while an unnamed club in Portugal are also watching the situation.

It's unclear whether Edun will leave Rovers permanently or on loan, though a clean break makes sense for both parties if the finances fit. Rovers paid £500,000 to sign the 25-year-old in August 2021 and his contract at Ewood Park runs until the summer of 2024, with the option of an additional 12 months.

• Edun was expected to leave Rovers in January after struggling for game time. However, a loan deal to Charlton Athletic fell down after Callum Brittain's injury, which kept him out until February. 

Cardiff City approached Rovers with a loan offer on deadline day, offering to cover Edun's salary in full, but the club turned it down with Tomasson taking the view that having a full squad was essential after a difficult window, although Edun didn't feature again.

Edun's lack of football means his stock is lower than this time a year ago. However, there remain interested parties. Charlton and Cardiff are keeping tabs while an unnamed club in Portugal are also watching the situation.

It's unclear whether Edun will leave Rovers permanently or on loan, though a clean break makes sense for both parties if the finances fit. Rovers paid £500,000 to sign the 25-year-old in August 2021 and his contract at Ewood Park runs until the summer of 2024, with the option of an additional 12 months.

We were very close to signing him in January but there was a problem with a player on loan from Stuggart, I think, that could be recalled so they paused then the injury mentioned happened so it was totally scrapped.
  • I think others may go before Miles. Like others have said it’s all about how the funds are made available and used, or not, as may be. 
  • Scoham said:
    No idea what this is based on but it’s a rumour…

Really hope that IF we have to sell Miles, we make a reasonable fee, but also loan him back for next season as part of the deal, otherwise a huge loss for us...
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Quality player from a side that finished below us-  May or Stockton feels like the obvious ones? 

Left field suggestion Sam Smith from Cambridge? 
    Of the three I’d prefer Smith, younger for a start and was impressed when he played against us. I’m sure May at 29 will be looking for a last big payday and I’m still unsure on Stockton but he’s an improvement on Bonne.

of the three I’d wager Smith, The Writing’s on the Wall.

May at 29 is surely at his prime, looking for a key move in his career. He's hardly a player on the slide, thinking about one last payday 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Quality player from a side that finished below us-  May or Stockton feels like the obvious ones? 

Of the three I’d prefer Smith, younger for a start and was impressed when he played against us. I’m sure May at 29 will be looking for a last big payday and I’m still unsure on Stockton but he’s an improvement on Bonne.

May at 29 is surely at his prime, looking for a key move in his career. He's hardly a player on the slide, thinking about one last payday 
    But this is the big payday for him. Next time around he’ll be 31/32 and definitely not able to command such a big contract.
  • Gwion Edwards not signing according to RC.

• MarcusH26 said:

Or even Luke Jephcott who has been released by Plymouth?
  • Scoham said:
    Gwion Edwards not signing according to RC.

Good news
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:

You mean the one Swindon didn't want to keep?
  • edited May 2023
  • As well asHarlee  Dean and Jordan Graham Birmingham have released George Friend. Although now 35 he can be a left footed centre back or left back.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

He had that one wonderful season when he was barely out of nappies, what happened?  An injury or just a fluke?
  • cfgs said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

He had that one wonderful season when he was barely out of nappies, what happened?  An injury or just a fluke?
    Quite surprised if they(Swindon) had the option to sign him permanently and didn’t. 
    Think he would do alright for us but I have said that about numerous forwards we signed in the past who got Charltonlised very quickly  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

The one that scored fewer goals then Josh Davison last season
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

The one that scored fewer goals then Josh Davison last season
    Oh good I thought we were talking about a Jephcott that went to another school.
  • edited May 2023
    reserves said:
    I haven’t read through these recent posts or any other threads so sorry if this is old info. 

Heard from someone inside the club that a potential signing is at the training ground today and if it comes off I think most would be very happy. 

Could be a good sign for the future ownership, certainly would make me feel more positive. 

I’m not gonna say who I’ve been told it is as wouldn’t want to jinx it. Serendipity if we annoiced him on the morning of the 29th. 

It’s a player from team that finished beneath us that many have mentioned would be a fantastic signing, I’d be shocked if we were the only one in for him. 

MarcusH26 said:

Surely after writing May 29 you’d not go for Sam Smith as the choice given the cryptic clue in the post!

Unless Sam Smith is currently 29th in the Big UK Top 40…
  • Sponsored links:

• Jephcott would be a punt not worth taking. Not reproduced that one seasons from anywhere. Steer clear.

Was it even a season? Thought it was a hot spell of about 20 games.  Agree, one to avoid.
  • Hasn't he scored about five goals at the Valley the three times he's played against us in SE7? Wonder if there are other players with similar records...
  • Hasn't he scored about five goals at the Valley the three times he's played against us in SE7? Wonder if there are other players with similar records...
    Jan Åge Fjørtoft?

Jephcott isn't necessarily one to avoid, he isn't one to "fire us to promotion" either.  Depends what formation we play and if Leaburn stays.

If we play 2 and he goes, we need 4 new strikers and Jephcott could potentially be one of those.  If we play 1 and he stays we need someone to push Miles and let him drop out now and then and someone else, I don't see a place for Jephcott then.  Or May for that matter.
  • Jephcott wouldn't especially excite me. Had that one purple patch at Plymouth and it hasn't happened for him again since. Think I'd rather have Dan Kanu as 4th striker in that situation. 
  • Scoham said:

Be interested to know where thats come from as I have googled Peter Storrie blog and nothing to be found.
    It’s crap … load of bollocks 
  • edited May 2023
    I’ve heard Josh Parker’s on his way back.
    I’m a bit worried we couldn’t afford him. 😩
  • Scoham said:

Clearly a made up rumour when nobody else has seen or knows what this 'Storries blog' is that's the driver of this post. Even more incredible was the number of bites it seemed to get from others in the group taking it seriously.
  • I think the OP must be referring to this (which isn’t Storrie’s blog but a blog about Storrie quoting an old interview) https://chicagoaddick.com/2023/05/23/storries-promise/
  • NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sambcafc said:
    Redrobo said:
    Modern sport is very stats based, and analysts seem to be used everywhere. 

So much of this data is publicly available that there ought to be a fairly level playing field between comparable clubs, as all should be looking similar numbers surely? 

The TV pundits have access to a lot of this data, so they can say that Player X makes the highest number of threatening passes or makes the most overlaps.
    That’s where the likes of Brighton and Brentford have got their edge over the years.

Yes all the data is publicly available (for a fee) but the clubs who pour serious resources into coming up with new in-house ways of combining the runs, the passses, the tackles & shots etc. can create more informative stats that no-one else has access to.

By going deeper to the second, third and fourth level of the data, they’re uncovering trends that the publicly available data won’t tell you.
    The interesting thing though is that these things are never continually successful and there's always an element of luck. Rasmus Ankersen, the same man who did so much great recruitment at Brentford went to Southampton and is being primarily blamed for taking them down. Too many young players with the wrong attitudes brought in and too much focus in January on potential rather than present-day returns. He used the same systems but this time it fell flat. Much like how Les Reed was a genius at Saints until it fell apart and Walsh was a god at Leicester but is seen as part of the group that started Everton's decline into what they are now. Constant reinvention and a huge amount of fortune are needed no matter how good your data and scouting set up is
    And indeed Gallen after bringing in Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher on loan...
    …and then backing that up with Rak-Sakyi 
    Well documented it was Ben Garner that wanted JRS. Tried getting him at Swindon 
    I know. But he was due to go to Oxford and “we” persuaded him and Palace that he should come to Charlton.
    I think it is unfair to blame all the shit on SG and credit others with the successful signings. SG is said to be the negotiator not the scout. 
    I would suggest that this makes him the person who got him over the line for us and is an example of how good he is at his job.
    I would be looking at who took over the decision making when they first changed his role. 
    If that's all true why did Gallen personally say he had watched Clare play and had personally seen Lavelle multiple times?

I find that and the fact "Steve and Martin are always out scouting", despite being at almost all our games very hard to believe.

As I said before it probably isn't Gallen's fault but the mixed messages that come out the club do no one, especially Gallen, any favours.
    Is Gallen at almost all our games? I don’t know, but I am sure I have read noise on here in the last few months around whether he even still works for the club as he had not been seen in ages. 
    They wasn't scouts.. Would have a network (or in Charlton case one or two) that would report back into them. Also totally different these days, with every game being broadcasted, they don't have to go to games.
    Watching games on TV has no comparison to actually seeing a player live. No proper scout would do that. 
    A proper scout would do both. If you only watch games live you will probably see 5% (at a guess) of the players other teams are seeing. Nowadays you can watch every game a player has played all season from your laptop at home
    Still, a proper scout would never do this. 
    Why not? As we know too well, players are inconsistent, especially at this level. You’d obviously get a better view of a player watching online all 40 games they’ve played this season than getting to watch 5 games in person. Ideally you get to do both, but the first is a lot easier logistically. Especially at the moment when there are no games on and we need to be doing a lot of recruitment work 
    It’s a big ask to watch forty 90 minute games on a laptop. That’s 60 hrs just to check out one player. Can’t see anyone doing that, even with judicious use of the fast forward button. Bear in mind the number of players they’re keeping tabs on, and the time spend seeing live matches. 
    Watching something like ten matches online and five live sounds more realistic.