Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I’m sure that the players who have visited Sparrows Lane for a chat with Holden are players we’d like to attract but I’m guessing those players are also looking elsewhere and chatting to other managers too. I very much doubt we have any signings locked on at this point. Hopefully we have a few that look likely by this point.
  • I’m sure that the players who have visited Sparrows Lane for a chat with Holden are players we’d like to attract but I’m guessing those players are also looking elsewhere and chatting to other managers too. I very much doubt we have any signings locked on at this point. Hopefully we have a few that look likely by this point.
    Henry, Thomas and Hector could be doing exactly the same thing and shopping around to see what the best fit there is for them out there. 

Whilst all these free agents are getting paid till the end of June, there is no panic to find a club just yet 
  • I suspect it is more to do with the player being under contract to another club until the contract expires so it wrong to announce him as your player. That is why we are not seeing loads of announcements elsewhere either.
    Majority of contracts run to 30th June as standard, that’s not stopped clubs announcing signings where the contracts officially start on 1st July. 
  • Players that are announced on day 1 after  last contract ends are either

1) insecure (fitness , age, ability..etc)

2) know they are being offered a deal that is crazy money. (My guess is that we are not in a position to throw money around)

Would you sell your house to the first buyer- well yes but only in circumstances that it's been on the market for ages and there's been no previous interest. Otherwise it's better to play the market.

So, I am hoping we are going for players  attractive to other clubs as well (ie generally agreed to have talent) so I am not expecting any early announcements (takeover is another factor)

A chunk will be done at the last minute, and the bulk should be done before pre-season.

Sit back and enjoy the Bank Hol.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scott Banks 
    Think it's a perm.
    Surely not
    He’s 22 in September, been loaned out since 2020 and JRS will be ahead of him, doesn’t seem that unlikely to me.
    Thought he was younger than that so perhaps more feasible than I thought… would still require a not insignificant fee though you’d think
    Minimal fee, which will probably actually end up in Banks, or his agent's, pocket and a sell on fee would be my guess.

This has been on the cards for a while.  Obviously not done until its done.

You can say what you like about Palace but they are very good at rehousing their unwanted players.
    That is where it’s typically kept
  • Players visiting Sparrows Lane for a chat with Holden, to see if they want to come to us or another club makes the process sound like choosing a school for your children, with Holden the headmaster, and the agents playing the role of the parents...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scott Banks 
    Think it's a perm.
    Surely not
    He’s 22 in September, been loaned out since 2020 and JRS will be ahead of him, doesn’t seem that unlikely to me.
    Thought he was younger than that so perhaps more feasible than I thought… would still require a not insignificant fee though you’d think
    Minimal fee, which will probably actually end up in Banks, or his agent's, pocket and a sell on fee would be my guess.

This has been on the cards for a while.  Obviously not done until its done.

You can say what you like about Palace but they are very good at rehousing their unwanted players.
    That is where it’s typically kept

• Scoham said:
    I suspect it is more to do with the player being under contract to another club until the contract expires so it wrong to announce him as your player. That is why we are not seeing loads of announcements elsewhere either.
    Majority of contracts run to 30th June as standard, that’s not stopped clubs announcing signings where the contracts officially start on 1st July. 
    Rangers did it couple of days ago with Kieran Dowell from Norwich, pre contract agreement, stating he officially becomes a Rangers player 1st July 
  • Would be happy if we signed Scott Banks. Effectively it would be a like for like replacement for JRS. I would be surprised if it were permanent because he played and scored against PSV the other night.

I guess time will tell 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    fenaddick said:
    That does sound positive and fits in with what another poster was saying about potential new players being at the training ground.

However, and this is no disrespect to Dean at all, but I feel like it’s just a variation of a theme that I always hear most managers mention.

’big club, impressed by facilities, the way we want to play football etc etc..’

To be honest there’s not really necessarily much different he can say, but will be nice to see the words back up by some good signings. 
    It's not just about Dean Holden selling his ideas to prospective signings though.

It also gives Holden the chance to check out that a player's character and personality fits in with the ethos of what will be instilled into the squad.

Remember: the no dickeads rule.

Its not like he is going to say that he wants a team of mercenaries.

It’s just a variation on a theme of what all managers say about ‘having the right character’ in the squad.

Nothing against Dean at all, as I believe him more than any recent manager when he says the stuff he does - but ultimately it won’t matter if we don’t have the budget and resources to get those players.
    What I meant was that Holden will want to build a team in his own image.

Footballing ability will be important of course, but the right character and temperament even more so;
    the right personality to be a team player and fight for the cause.

It's the Third Division, no point trying to play like Man City unless you've got top Prem players. Ben Garner found that out,
    No wimpy, head drop players either, only those that will roll up their sleeves if we go a goal down.

Anyway, that'll be the aim. It's no different to what Chris Powell did.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scott Banks 
    Think it's a perm.
    Surely not

You can say what you like about Palace but they are very good at rehousing their unwanted players...... to us! 
    There, fixed it for you.  :D

• Richard J said:
    Would be happy if we signed Scott Banks. Effectively it would be a like for like replacement for JRS. I would be surprised if it were permanent because he played and scored against PSV the other night.

I guess time will tell 
    The difference in age between JRS and Banks is only a year but Banks has already played 3 seasons of men's football.

He is in the last year of his contract so either they give him a new one and loan him out for the next two seasons then sell him or sell him now with a buy back/% sell on/first refusal type clause.  He might up as a premier league player, Cullen will at 27, but I can't see it in the next 2-3 years.  I fully expect JRS to be a premier league regular within 18 months.

• Richard J said:
    Would be happy if we signed Scott Banks. Effectively it would be a like for like replacement for JRS. I would be surprised if it were permanent because he played and scored against PSV the other night.

I guess time will tell 
    Like for like, but less good. Hence Banks being a realistic target to buy, while JRS isn't.
  • Richard J said:

I guess time will tell 
    Like for like, but less good. Hence Banks being a realistic target to buy, while JRS isn't.
    Is he a realistic target to buy though ?
  • Richard J said:

I guess time will tell 
    Is he a realistic target to buy though ?
    See my above comments but he isn't realistically going to get in Palace's team in the near future and no big championship side are going to pay money for on the back of last season.  
  • Maybe all these supposed signings are dependent on the ownership issues.  If a change happens I think they will want to unveil a few signings soon after, to say look at what we can do.
  • You okay there Callum?
  • Scott Wright - winger from Rangers?

Will Wright - CB Gillingham?

Assuming the photos are some sort of clue, best I could come up with!  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Meander Jean - ineffective CAM . Plays for Steinhousemuir 

• Glen Butterworth from Stockton Town would be a statement of sorts.
  • Getting warmer
  • Danny Butterworth the Blackburn striker that was on loan at Port Vale? 
  • Btw just a warning, I have absolutely no insider info but the last time I did one of these it was for Conor McGrandles so…
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Danny Butterworth the Blackburn striker that was on loan at Port Vale? 
    He spent time on loan at a fellow L1 club this past season, but not Butterworth no.
  • Btw just a warning, I have absolutely no insider info but the last time I did one of these it was for Conor McGrandles so…
    So didnt end very well then ;)
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Danny Butterworth the Blackburn striker that was on loan at Port Vale? 
    He spent time on loan at a fellow L1 club this past season, but not Butterworth no.
    Can u give us the position ?