Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Whose the latest player to be seen at the training ground?

Of course I have just made that up but let's see...🎣🎣
  • edited May 2023
    Lyle Taylor in his Renault Twingo 
  • Miles Hippolyte. Easy. 

Next…
  • Dizzle said:
    Miles Hippolyte. Easy. 

Next…
    If the rumour about Miles Hippolyte is true that must be the end of Leaburn!!

#Methven(who isn't in)out
  • Am really hoping we won’t be gambling on League 2 players in this window. Appreciate CBT has proven it can pay off, but if we genuinely want to challenge we need to recruit to put the odds in our favour…
    What about Stockton who has played most of his football at, and is currently at, league 2 level or Payne who has played most of his football above league 2 but came from a league 2 club?

I really don't care were they come from.  I care that they are good! 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Am really hoping we won’t be gambling on League 2 players in this window. Appreciate CBT has proven it can pay off, but if we genuinely want to challenge we need to recruit to put the odds in our favour…
    What about Stockton who has played most of his football at, and is currently at, league 2 level or Payne who has played most of his football above league 2 but came from a league 2 club?

Stockton is currently League One and his end of season track record appears to indicate his previous season wasn’t a flash in the pan. Payne does just fine off the bench and has an eye for a goal, but could I see him in a side starting and competing for a top 6 finish - no…
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Am really hoping we won’t be gambling on League 2 players in this window. Appreciate CBT has proven it can pay off, but if we genuinely want to challenge we need to recruit to put the odds in our favour…

Stockton is currently League One and his end of season track record appears to indicate his previous season wasn’t a flash in the pan. Payne does just fine off the bench and has an eye for a goal, but could I see him in a side starting and competing for a top 6 finish - no…
    I think you missed the wider point, completely different back grounds but both ended up as league 2 players.

It's about good players doesn't matter where they come from.
  • edited May 2023
    Good players tend to progress up through the leagues though. If they don’t there’s probably a reason why. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Good players tend to progress up through the leagues though. If they don’t there’s probably a reason why. 
    How many people got so excited about Randall?  What's he done since? 

How many people got excited when we signed Yann, or Sheffield Wednesday's reserve center half?

People went "crazy" over Danny Green and Paul Benson signing.

Absolutely there are good players in league 2, out of favour at league 1 and championship clubs.  Regardless of where they come from.

The real key is getting the right player, to do the right job, at the right time.
    I agree up to a point. There are no guarantees but if we only ever sign league two players I think eventually we’ll become a league two club. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    How many people got so excited about Randall?  What's he done since? 

How many people got excited when we signed Yann, or Sheffield Wednesday's reserve center half?

People went "crazy" over Danny Green and Paul Benson signing.

Absolutely there are good players in league 2, out of favour at league 1 and championship clubs.  Regardless of where they come from.

The real key is getting the right player, to do the right job, at the right time.
    I agree up to a point. There are no guarantees but if we only ever sign league two players I think eventually we’ll become a league two club. 
    At the same time we almost exclusively signed championship players and didn't become a championship club.
  • I think that there’s little trust left in the recruitment full stop that alarm bells ring for some when they hear League 2.

Powell had more credit in the bank for being Powell and signing all those players back in 2011, plus we hadn’t been through the wringer with a succession of crap owners. Little did we know it was all just about to begin.  I agree with Cafc43, it doesn’t matter where they come from, just as long as they are good enough, but I can see why people judge anyone they hear linked with us based on the last few years.  Even January was a bit of a dud, maybe excluding Hector, which could put people on guard re: what the new potential owners may bring to the table.  

For me, it’s a combination of the above plus a lack of general knowledge about footballers overall these days that means I’m glass half full about most of our signings.  

I think the last few windows have certainly taken the stuffing out of me when it comes to excitement about new players.  I recall last season when O’Connell, Payne etc signed.  I remember thinking at the time, I can’t agree with comments like ‘I’m happy with that’ or, ‘if Garner thinks he’s good enough, that’s good enough for me’ or, ‘he was Rochdale’s captain and played in all of their games etc’ 

• cabbles said:
    Now that the final play of final has taken place and promotion been decided in all 4 leagues, this is when the clock starts ticking imo.  We’ve got a few days, maybe a week’s grace, but for me, given the work we’ve got to do to make the team a viable candidate for promotion, the takeover cannot drag on past the next week or so.  

💯 

• Rules us out then, I can't imagine us signing anyone in the next week 

Why ?
  • Because if we do then people will have nothing to moan about.

Hold on, people moan about everything on here.

Not seen the new shirt yet, not received my season ticket yet, shit club.    :)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023

Rules us out then, I can't imagine us signing anyone in the next week 
    Why ?
    Because of this:

Which means if that journalist is right, Sandgaard would have bid north of 500k for Alfie May when we know how unlikely that is. 

We were linked with him so I thought i'd share, based on that journos tweet regarding May it now seems unlikely 
  • Unless there has been a flurry of activity in terms of ST sales over the last week or so, I can see there being mileage in 1-2 signings being made very soon. TS has no guaranteed sale in the bag atm, based on RC’s tweeted update, so like a game of chess, TS may have to move a piece or two to see whether it gets the fans moving (in terms of renewals). An Alfie May type signing may encourage a few more sales. Will it be enough, not knowing who follows…time will tell?

Every club no matter what is happening behind the scenes will have a resource budget, inclusive of wages and fees (sometimes separate, sometimes combined). I think DH will be able to proceed on some players he really wants if suitable enough terms have been agreed. New ownership will mean same budget, more funds made available or a cut to it (with all the consequences that brings - but think latter least likely in years 1 and 2 of new ownership). 
  • I'm hearing through my sources that May will be done in the next 48-hours

#donedeal #hearditherefirst
    *massive round of applause*

On Thursday will we be linked to Juninho, then a month later Julian Alvarez?

Well played. Got me for a minute!  

• The shit will hit the fan when you see the likes of May, Stockton and anyone else mentioned signing for Barnsley/Reading/Wycombe etc.  

Keep your season ticket money for now.  

Why ?
    Because of this:

Which means if that journalist is right, Sandgaard would have bid north of 500k for Alfie May when we know how unlikely that is. 

We were linked with him so I thought i'd share, based on that journos tweet regarding May it now seems unlikely 
    As we been told takeover or no takeover won’t affect the summer business as the budget been agreed with the protental new owners as well .. hence the reason we are getting in with the summer shopping as Holden explained last week 

Why ?
    Because of this:

As we been told takeover or no takeover won’t affect the summer business as the budget been agreed with the protental new owners as well .. hence the reason we are getting in with the summer shopping as Holden explained last week 
    Budget eh? I hate that word. It's like a piece of string.
    I rather think that if the "takeover" falls through Mr. Sandguard's budget will be considerably more modest than the proposed new owners might have been.
    But what do I know. 
    Or perhaps both parties have tacitly agreed on a minimal spend budget.
    What do you know? (I know what I think you know)