Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Would love to know how the club was sold to Camara and Taylor. Both seemingly had links from clubs higher up the pyramid and chose us. Surely, "We'll be getting some young premier league players in on loan in the last few days of the window" can't have been it
    Could add staff like Andy Scott to that too. He looks to have been mugged off twice.

When he joined in Jan he said ‘he wouldn’t be here if there wasn’t funds to spend’ before proceeding to spend zero transfer fees and deliver one of our worst transfer windows for years (Todd Kane, Kilkenny, Bonne etc).

This time round he claims he gave up a good job to come back…but why? It’s very hard to see what he’s come back for when we once again look to be scrapping around in the last min loan / free transfer bucket with very little sign that there really are funds to bring in the quality we need.

Something definitely doesn’t feel right & CM looks to have mislead a lot of people (staff, investors and fans that bought season tickets thinking our billionaire owners would go for it).

One week left to show us differently I guess 🤞 
    5 days to go until this groups mouthpiece Methven has some explaining to do.

Interestingly, we've still yet to hear a single word from any of the main players and I wonder if we ever will.
    On the other forum there is a thread titled Polite Request, we'll worth a look.
    Do not be drinking a cup of team when reading!

Hmm just tried to have a look & can't access the forum ? Can read match reports but nothing else. I haven't logged on on there for years, can he ban me just from viewing ?
  • Big Diddy is a known Palace fan.  He says he has been a supporter since 1978 but just joined this forum a couple years ago and has been winding everyone up since then.  He must love when we are in chaos like the current moment
    Sure he isn’t Matt Southall? 
  • Charlton Athletic Owners Club: Framing managers since 2009.
    Err that would include Pardew, if we did frame that prick we didn't do a very good job, he still walks the streets.
  • Close this thread …pointless 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Big Diddy is a known Palace fan.  He says he has been a supporter since 1978 but just joined this forum a couple years ago and has been winding everyone up since then.  He must love when we are in chaos like the current moment
    Why a fan of another club would come on here to wind us up is beyond me, I don't think I took any notice of Crystal Palace or Millwall when we were in the Premier. 
  • Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Big Diddy is a known Palace fan.  He says he has been a supporter since 1978 but just joined this forum a couple years ago and has been winding everyone up since then.  He must love when we are in chaos like the current moment
    Why a fan of another club would come on here to wind us up is beyond me, I don't think I took any notice of Crystal Palace or Millwall when we were in the Premier. 
    Its because Palace fans dont care about us.
  • MrBurns said:
    Would love to know how the club was sold to Camara and Taylor. Both seemingly had links from clubs higher up the pyramid and chose us. Surely, "We'll be getting some young premier league players in on loan in the last few days of the window" can't have been it
    Could add staff like Andy Scott to that too. He looks to have been mugged off twice.

When he joined in Jan he said ‘he wouldn’t be here if there wasn’t funds to spend’ before proceeding to spend zero transfer fees and deliver one of our worst transfer windows for years (Todd Kane, Kilkenny, Bonne etc).

This time round he claims he gave up a good job to come back…but why? It’s very hard to see what he’s come back for when we once again look to be scrapping around in the last min loan / free transfer bucket with very little sign that there really are funds to bring in the quality we need.

Something definitely doesn’t feel right & CM looks to have mislead a lot of people (staff, investors and fans that bought season tickets thinking our billionaire owners would go for it).

Interestingly, we've still yet to hear a single word from any of the main players and I wonder if we ever will.

Hmm just tried to have a look & can't access the forum ? Can read match reports but nothing else. I haven't logged on on there for years, can he ban me just from viewing ?
    The site has been locked down to only users. This is what has been said. Mods please remove if you don't want this in here. 

Morning All.

Been having a bit f a think overnight and I thing given the start of the season we have had and the lack of quality players coming in, it's inevitable that some fans are turning on the new owners already.

I'm not one of them but that doesn't mean to say that I am as unhappy as you are in terms of what we are seeing at the moment. I have been away or te weekend visiting the Silverstone Festival on Friday and then dropping down to Windsor for the races on Saturday, both of which are in the proximity of Oxford should I have chosen to go there but I didn't and there are reasons why.

Those reasons were laid out in an messenger exchange to a couple of unamed SE7 members. I won't divulge what was said but believe me there were a few home truths on my part. One thing I will say is I told them clearly that whatever isn't working needs to change right now because if it didn't the fans they have got on board would walk away. I advised them that while their rebuild may take two or three windows fans want to see progress in each and despite one or two good players coming in during the current one, we are nowhere near. I was critical of the way we are willing to let 15 points fritter away while looking for footballers that would fit 'the system'. I said the system has to work first before we bring in players to operate within it.

There were agreements on somethings and disagreements on others, again, I am not going to say what, but what I will share is at no point was it heated, disrespectful or personal. Questions were asked and answers were given. If I didn't like those answers I said so and backed it up with another question.

The point of this is I am still onboard with the owners, they deserve two windows at the very least but we can't be languishiong in the bottom five of league 1 because what does progress look like come May, surviving relagation and finishing mid-table which is exactly where we finished last season?

People can scoff at this all they want but what we are seeing at the moment is NOT because of a financial matter. You have my word on that. There is money to spend and a striker will come in before the weekend. It may be a loan because of the change of manager but I can assure you there is money available.

The point of this thread is while still prepared to back the owners, in my opinion they have invited criticism onto themselves which I don't wish to particiapte in however, I do appreciate that others do want to air their views and there are many that are going to be negative. Do I agree with them? No...Do I think fans have a right to air them? ...Of course I do but all I ask is they don't get personal and we have have reasoned, healthy debate about anything that comes up for discussion.

It's always important to base your views on facts and not assumption so before somebody says there's no money to spend again, I can assure you there is so while disagreeing with you on that score, I do agree that we should be spending it.

I assume that is Reams on the site that can’t be mentioned?
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Close this thread …pointless 
    You can't close the thread ..... I've still got 387 posts to read! 

It’ll do you a favour mate if they do 😉
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Top,  top work by agent Albie Morgan.

He's obviously told Critchley what a great player Kirk is.

Albie deserves a heroes welcome when he comes back.

They will still want us to pay a lot of his salary! That is why they will want to sign him on loan, not have him for nothing!
  • Chunes said:
    "There is money to spend but unfortunately we've just sacked the manager so we can't spend it now ... Oh dammit! Darn our luck, say the owners."
    Quite. The suggestion it was a loan for a striker anyway, pre-Holden sacking, but fell through because parent club were holding it up.

Im not being personal as I appreciate him sharing what he knows but it’s also a bit ‘how dyou know they’ve got money?’ ‘Because they told me’ - ok then.

I’m conscious everyone has said ‘actions not words’ and is now asking for some words… but surely if there is something stopping the spending they want to be more explicit / precise in their leaks about exactly what that is. May help ease the perception (mine) that we haven’t actually got any money to spend. 
  • Owners are not expected to say anything, that is why they appointed the SM, they organise and speak to the minnows, sorry, fans 🥴
  • It is tough to believe we are slow building a promotion team over a couple of seasons when you look at how things currently stand.

Methven talking about getting our yearly losses dramatically down, the only serious way that can be achieved is by selling our best young players and not using those funds to reinvest.

Dobson & CBT are both currently not commited to the club past next summer.

May is a quality signing but due to his age who knows how many seasons performing to his best he has.

Camara is on loan, Cosgrove if he arrives is meant to be on loan too.

• However i do agree with his main point. Fans will give owners more time and get behind them if they can see progression.

We've heard absolutely nothing from our owners, but if there had been a statement along the lines of the club has been mismanaged for years, it's a mess and we need time to sort it out, however bear with us and we assure we'll do our best across the next 3 transfer windows to build a promotion chasing team etc, and they saw us making 5-6 top quality permanent signings in key areas for this level then fans would get on board with that.

Ipswich spent a fortune but didn't go up straight away, but their fans could see a team taking shape. After 3 windows they had a title chasing side.
    Mate I’m not defending the ownership as I haven’t a clue what’s going on but I’m not sure we need a statement from them telling us what we already know. A big week ahead I feel ! Scott needs to work some magic and get a minimum of 4 decent players through the door
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    More loans will just be kicking the can down the road. They're going to end up putting us in more trouble because next summer they'll be gone and we're going to be looking at empty slots in key positions, and we're back in the same position of struggling to put together a team and starting the season with youth players. We need good signings on long-term contracts (e.g. not Kirk/Lavelle types) that will mean we can actually start building and not scramble every summer window. 
  • edited August 2023
    Sure, Holden has nothing to do with the signings.. but imagine you’re a player approached by cafc this week. 

Permanent move - what’s the vision, why does the manager want me, how do I feature in his plans? Loan move - how often will I feature, what will I learn? 

No player with a half decent alternative will sign for a rudderless team on a losing streak and no plan to buy into. 

“Show yourself round the training ground, son.. there’s nobody here.”
    Agree. I think there's a prevailing thought that players go where the wage is biggest, but at the end of the day, most players also want to play first-team football, and when a team doesn't have a manager, they have no idea if the one we eventually hire will rate them. The uncertainty is going to have an impact on who we can get. 
  • Chunes said:
    Sure, Holden has nothing to do with the signings.. but imagine you’re a player approached by cafc this week. 

Permanent move - what’s the vision, why does the manager want me, how do I feature in his plans? Loan move - how often will I feature, what will I learn? 

No player with a half decent alternative will sign for a rudderless team on a losing streak and no plan to buy into. 

Agree. I think there's a prevailing thought that players go where the wage is biggest, but at the end of the day, most players also want to play first-team football, and when a team doesn't have a manager, they have no idea if the one we eventually hire will rate them. The uncertainty is going to have an impact on who we can get. 
    I think players also understand that everything is temporary, and few things have shorter life expectancy than football managers. The lack of a manager may deter some, but I don't think, by any means, it will put off all.
  • Chunes said:

I think players also understand that everything is temporary, and few things have shorter life expectancy than football managers. The lack of a manager may deter some, but I don't think, by any means, it will put off all.
    No, I agree. It will only deter the ones with their heads screwed on.
  • MrBurns said:
    Would love to know how the club was sold to Camara and Taylor. Both seemingly had links from clubs higher up the pyramid and chose us. Surely, "We'll be getting some young premier league players in on loan in the last few days of the window" can't have been it

The site has been locked down to only users. This is what has been said. Mods please remove if you don't want this in here. 

Morning All.

Been having a bit f a think overnight and I thing given the start of the season we have had and the lack of quality players coming in, it's inevitable that some fans are turning on the new owners already.

I'm not one of them but that doesn't mean to say that I am as unhappy as you are in terms of what we are seeing at the moment. I have been away or te weekend visiting the Silverstone Festival on Friday and then dropping down to Windsor for the races on Saturday, both of which are in the proximity of Oxford should I have chosen to go there but I didn't and there are reasons why.

Those reasons were laid out in an messenger exchange to a couple of unamed SE7 members. I won't divulge what was said but believe me there were a few home truths on my part. One thing I will say is I told them clearly that whatever isn't working needs to change right now because if it didn't the fans they have got on board would walk away. I advised them that while their rebuild may take two or three windows fans want to see progress in each and despite one or two good players coming in during the current one, we are nowhere near. I was critical of the way we are willing to let 15 points fritter away while looking for footballers that would fit 'the system'. I said the system has to work first before we bring in players to operate within it.

There were agreements on somethings and disagreements on others, again, I am not going to say what, but what I will share is at no point was it heated, disrespectful or personal. Questions were asked and answers were given. If I didn't like those answers I said so and backed it up with another question.

The point of this is I am still onboard with the owners, they deserve two windows at the very least but we can't be languishiong in the bottom five of league 1 because what does progress look like come May, surviving relagation and finishing mid-table which is exactly where we finished last season?

People can scoff at this all they want but what we are seeing at the moment is NOT because of a financial matter. You have my word on that. There is money to spend and a striker will come in before the weekend. It may be a loan because of the change of manager but I can assure you there is money available.

The point of this thread is while still prepared to back the owners, in my opinion they have invited criticism onto themselves which I don't wish to particiapte in however, I do appreciate that others do want to air their views and there are many that are going to be negative. Do I agree with them? No...Do I think fans have a right to air them? ...Of course I do but all I ask is they don't get personal and we have have reasoned, healthy debate about anything that comes up for discussion.

It's always important to base your views on facts and not assumption so before somebody says there's no money to spend again, I can assure you there is so while disagreeing with you on that score, I do agree that we should be spending it.

Money to spend on the compensation to the three departing, and the same would have to happen if they were successful in getting Darren Ferguson. 
  • Chunes said:

Standard line from Sessegnon’s move to Wigan:

“The manager played a big part in my move. The way he sets out his team, and how he said I would fit into it, is what I found perfect for myself, for my development and for my career.”

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2023/august/26/latics-sign-defender-steven-sessegnon-on-a-two-year-contract/
  • MrBurns said:

Morning All.

I assume that is Reams on the site that can’t be mentioned?
    dont worry he's shut up shop and taken his ball and gone home now..