Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited June 2023
    TeeC said:
    People seem to be missing the bit where TS has already sold the club for circa £12m. If there is money in the coffers it can be spent as far as he’s concerned, he’s not funding it out of his pocket. 
    Sandgaard is still the owner until the deal is complete. It's possible he doesn't care about how money is left in the bank given he shouldn't own the club for much longer, but what if the deal fell through? If he drains the balance and it goes tits up then he is the one that has to put in extra money. In all likelihood, he will have a deposit from the buyers that will cover a sale that falls through and/or he has the option of selling someone from Leaburn but I'm sure it's wide of the market to suggest he can spend whatever he likes because he's not funding it from his pocket. 
    Deal is done, all formalities from here. And if it isn’t, TS needs to get us out of this league anyway - it’s more wide of the mark to suggest he’s somehow incentivised not to spend at all, because he ‘won’t want to fund it’, a version of which I’ve seen on here on quite a number of occasions. 
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    People seem to be missing the bit where TS has already sold the club for circa £12m. If there is money in the coffers it can be spent as far as he’s concerned, he’s not funding it out of his pocket. 
    Sandgaard is still the owner until the deal is complete. It's possible he doesn't care about how money is left in the bank given he shouldn't own the club for much longer, but what if the deal fell through? If he drains the balance and it goes tits up then he is the one that has to put in extra money. In all likelihood, he will have a deposit from the buyers that will cover a sale that falls through and/or he has the option of selling someone from Leaburn but I'm sure it's wide of the market to suggest he can spend whatever he likes because he's not funding it from his pocket. 
    Deal is done, all formalities from here. And if it isn’t, TS needs to get us out of this league anyway - it’s more wide of the mark to suggest he’s somehow incentivised not to spend at all, because he ‘won’t want to fund it’, a version of which I’ve seen on here on quite a number of occasions. 
    What ?
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    What you struggling with? If there’s money in the club, it can be spent as far he’s concerned - he’s sold the club. He’s not required to ‘fund it’ by injecting money into the club (as some seem to be suggesting). And if the deal falls through (which seems highly unlikely), the club needs to buy players anyway cos TS will want to get promoted. 
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    What you struggling with? If there’s money in the club, it can be spent as far he’s concerned - he’s sold the club. He’s not required to ‘fund it’ by injecting money into the club (as some seem to be suggesting). And if the deal falls through (which seems highly unlikely), the club needs to buy players anyway cos TS will want to get promoted. 
    TS will not be spending money on players all the while we are waiting for OADT. He has not yet "sold the club".
  • This is why I dislike Rumours threads so much, in the last couple of pages Rich has put paid to May and Vigouroux, even though they have either signed or had bids accepted elsewhere.
    So if and when/until it is on the OS, what is the point in this speculation, other than a means to waste a bit of time...🙄
    Your beginning to sound like me;)
    So I can rely on you liking my posts then @sillav nitram !! Cheers...😉
  • TS’s incentive is to assume BAU. If there is money in the coffers (as per ‘agreed budget’ chat) that can surely be spent. 1) because the club has been sold - that cash in the coffers is not TS’s - it’s the club’s and club has been sold for £12m. It makes no difference to TS whether the assets are held in cash or invested in players - he’s getting £12m. It won’t need to be injected by TS - he doesn’t need to fork out for it as some seem to be suggesting. And 2) because even if the deal falls through TS wants to get us promoted because that’s rational. So we need to spend the pre-agreed budget, assuming that budget is in the coffers currently. I assume that’s why the budget was able to pre-agreed by all parties in the first place, as per Storrie. 
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    TS will not be spending money on players all the while we are waiting for OADT. He has not yet "sold the club".
    Some people still don’t understand the position the club and Sandgaard are in at this moment in time.

TeeC along with others ,people are trying to warn you , we put a foot wrong Charlton as a club will be starting at the bottom next season of Division One.

If all goes through correctly who knows what the future will hold.

• Rich pissing on everyone’s chips today then!
    I think he is just trying to manage expectations.

As usual on here people bandy players names around & then others pipe up with the infamous " my mate says he saw xyz at the Valley yesterday" or the now more familiar  "I was at the races and Charlie Methven said we are buying Dack, May & Orients back line".

When will you learn. This us the RUMOURS thread. People make up bollox. 

I dont often comment on this thread anymore because every summer it's the same & then when I start questioning why we have only signed 3 players & its mid July I get told to have patience. 

I'd be very surprised if many of the names mentioned so far get signed. 1 or 2 at the most. And if the Sharp mentioned yesterday was supposed to be Billy Sharp then all I can say is that you need your bumps felt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    The window opens this week during which, by it's close, we will hopefully have a squad equipped to challenge. All second guessing is just noise in the meantime. Let the facts tell the story as it unfolds.
    I agree to a point.

To my mind there is no point have a pre-season training camp abroad I'd you dont bring in your new players until August. Part of a pre-season is to get players used to each other & the system of play. 

I always remember the 4-0 drubbing we handed out to Man City first game of the season. City kicked off I believe & the commentator made a comment that the 2 strikers were shaking hands as if to introduce themselves to one another as they had only just be signed. 

If we dont have 4 or 5 new players in by early July the new season wont go well. 
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    Some people still don’t understand the position the club and Sandgaard are in at this moment in time.

TeeC along with others ,people are trying to warn you , we put a foot wrong Charlton as a club will be starting at the bottom next season of Division One.

If all goes through correctly who knows what the future will hold.

My turn to say ‘What?’

• Scoham said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    I can’t see us not signing anyone until the deal is confirmed which could be in 2 months time.

If it falls through he needs a decent squad in place if he’s to sell to someone else for around £12m.

I also can’t see new owners agreeing to complete a takeover in August leaving themselves a few weeks to potentially sign 10+ players.
    So when he first took over and was full of enthusiasm and ambition he signed players nowhere near the calibre if May.
    Are we really saying that now he is sick to the back teeth of us he's going to start splashing the cash?

Have you been out in the sun too long??
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    Sandgaard is putting money into the club every month to cover losses. Any money in the club is his anyway. Of course there are likely to be some clauses in the deal with the buyer about what may be spent, not spent etc. In terms of the "club needs to buy players anyway" we didn't do that last year so why would Sandgaard now start doing that when he's looking to sell?
  • Scoham said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    I can’t see us not signing anyone until the deal is confirmed which could be in 2 months time.

If it falls through he needs a decent squad in place if he’s to sell to someone else for around £12m.

I also can’t see new owners agreeing to complete a takeover in August leaving themselves a few weeks to potentially sign 10+ players.
    So when he first took over and was full of enthusiasm and ambition he signed players nowhere near the calibre if May.
    Are we really saying that now he is sick to the back teeth of us he's going to start splashing the cash?

I didn’t mention the calibre of player we’ll sign or how much we’ll spend, just that I expect players to come in. The club can’t put everything on hold while a takeover is being reviewed by the EFL over the next two months.

When he first came in we were limited by the salary cap and the takeover meant other clubs made their bigger signings before the rule changed (when we were only allowed to sign Washington and Gilbey). It wasn’t a like for like window.
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    Sandgaard is putting money into the club every month to cover losses. Any money in the club is his anyway. Of course there are likely to be some clauses in the deal with the buyer about what may be spent, not spent etc. In terms of the "club needs to buy players anyway" we didn't do that last year so why would Sandgaard now start doing that when he's looking to sell?
    Might as well but some brand new alloys on your whip before the webuyanycar man comes. 
  • I mean we are literally negotiating a fee for a player at this moment (which dismisses out of hand some the responses I’ve had) according to Richard Cawley so start from there and work back as to why that might be the case. I think my assumptions about TS’ incentives are sound. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?

I didn’t mention the calibre of player we’ll sign or how much we’ll spend, just that I expect players to come in. The club can’t put everything on hold while a takeover is being reviewed by the EFL over the next two months.

When he first came in we were limited by the salary cap and the takeover meant other clubs made their bigger signings before the rule changed (when we were only allowed to sign Washington and Gilbey). It wasn’t a like for like window.
    Despite it not being a like for like window it's also not true.  If we were so restricted by the salary cap why did we sign players like Warson, Gunter, Maddison and Matthews who almost certainly not cheap.

I would guess that 3 of them would have been on more than May is likely to be.
  • TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    Might as well but some brand new alloys on your whip before the webuyanycar man comes. 
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?
    Again you’re assuming new money coming into the club from Sandgaard. My assumption is pre agreed budget is already (at least partially) in the coffers, hence why it is a pre agreed budget. Analogy in that case is if I swapped the car sound system (cash) for brand new alloys (players) - doesn’t cost me a penny out of my own pocket - before the webuyanycar man comes. I’d need to get him to agree ideally, which is likely the case with TS and our new owners 
  • TeeC said:
    I mean we are literally negotiating a fee for a player at this moment (which dismisses out of hand some the responses I’ve had) according to Richard Cawley so start from there and work back as to why that might be the case. I think my assumptions about TS’ incentives are sound. 
    You could well be right and I do hope you are. I would question who is actually paying for May, but in all honesty I wouldn't really care. 

For what it's worth it would be a cracking signing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    What ?

Despite it not being a like for like window it's also not true.  If we were so restricted by the salary cap why did we sign players like Warson, Gunter, Maddison and Matthews who almost certainly not cheap.

I would guess that 3 of them would have been on more than May is likely to be.
    Agree, I nearly made that point but didn’t want a debate about whether players such those four counted as “splashing the cash”. My main point is we’re unlikely to make our first signing of the summer in August.
  • edited June 2023
    TeeC said:
    I mean we are literally negotiating a fee for a player at this moment (which dismisses out of hand some the responses I’ve had) according to Richard Cawley so start from there and work back as to why that might be the case. I think my assumptions about TS’ incentives are sound. 
    I mean I don’t doubt he wants to get promoted, why wouldn’t he, but I’d be gobsmacked if the deal falls through and Sandgaard starts splashing cash. 
  • If there is genuinely an agreed budget regardless of whether the deal happens or not, then I think we can safely assume the new owners won’t be spending too much. 
  • TeeC said:
    I mean I don’t doubt he wants to get promoted, why wouldn’t he, but I’d be gobsmacked if the deal falls through and Sandgaard starts splashing cash. 
    But if the current takeover falls through, it'll make it a lot easier to sell a club in September competing for promotion, than one filled with kids and cheap journeymen down near the bottom.

Decent signings will increase the value of the club.
  • I think the truth is somewhere in between: I don't think TS will spend zero while awaiting the takeover approval, but I don't think we're going to see fees spent like we did on Kirk, Lavelle, Aneke, etc. I think it will probably mirror last summer, decent players on frees. I have to expect we'll try to move Kirk and Lavelle on. And from there I think it becomes a question of how badly do clubs want Miles, and potentially Dobbo and Mitchell (maybe Ness too)? I don't think TS would pocket all of the money with a deal going through approval, I would have to imagine there are provisions are transfer fee incomings, but I'm also not going to expect all of the money to go back into the squad either.

When you look at the players we added last summer, they all turned out at least alright. I think Jojo is the best goalkeeper at the club and one of the best in the league, and just got injured at an awful time (for both club and country). I really liked O'Connell, and thought he was starting to hit form when he got hurt, and then we sold him for a profit. We really saw Thomas come on in the second half, and he looks a decent League One defender who is decent on the ball and mobile for his size.

And then I think Jack Payne was kind of a victim of his own flexibility. He played as an 8, kind of as a 10, and then on both flanks, and was asked to do a lot of jobs. He wasn't brilliant by any means, but within that I think you could see flashes of his ability. McGrandles and Egbo I'm giving a "no grade" because we just didn't see enough of them at Charlton, but I think both could be decent players at this level (McGrandles already has been). 

And then Sess and JRS were both unmitigated successes. 

As has been done to death, we know the problem was that the squad was left a LB and a ST short, plus they failed to upgrade in enough places. I'm kind of expecting the same for as long as TS is in charge, and quite possible into the SE7 Partners era as well.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Fwiw - speaking with a player last night who played in league 1 last season, his opinion is that Charlton will finish in the top 6 next season 
    Based on what?
    the division is weaker this season, who we've let go and who we are in for 
  • TeeC said:
    But if the current takeover falls through, it'll make it a lot easier to sell a club in September competing for promotion, than one filled with kids and cheap journeymen down near the bottom.

Decent signings will increase the value of the club.
    And cost more. Why spend money if you’re sell anyway. What if it doesn’t sell? Hopefully all mute points and this takeover goes through anyway.