Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• PWADDICK said:
    May has a medical scheduled this week
    Take it we can’t officially sign him till the takeover is done?
    This again? Why not? And if that were the case we could be starting the season with the squad as it currently stands. That is a ridiculous notion.
  • The reactions from Cheltenham Twitter are comforting (for us), they appear absolutely devastated he’s off.
  • edited June 2023
    Alfie May didn't become a full time professional until just short of his 24th Birthday at Doncaster !
    His last two seasons at Cheltenham he has become a one goal every two match scorer.
    Despite being 30 in July his career is on a upward curve not a downward curve like so many of our signings in recent years: Watson, Gunter etc who had had long careers at a higher level.

Personally feel the best comparison would be Holmes who was excellent when he signed from Northampton. 

IF he signs needless to say a relationship close to a big number 9 could work well.
    I personally didn't think Leaburn was as sharp as the season wore on so assuming Miles is still here come August then it could help his development as well.

IF, is still the word until Scarfy appears and i's are dotted and t's are crossed behind the scene.
  • edited June 2023
    Signing May would suggest that 433 is perhaps not on the cards , 352 or maybe even a 442? Although I do wonder where that would leave the likes of CBT and Campbell in a 352 as I couldn't see either operating as a wingback. 
  • I have not particularly felt that Tyreece or CBT are tackling back kind of players, but they can be devastating going forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• May has a medical scheduled this week
    If £200k is the fee (as mentioned a few pages back), then thats a decent deal in my opinion

I was expecting him to cost about £500k

Just hope we get the Cheltenham version, rather than the Doncaster one
    he will be Charltonised...
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Signing May would suggest that 433 is perhaps not on the cards , 352 or maybe even a 442? Although I do wonder where that would leave the likes of CBT and Campbell in a 352 as I couldn't see either operating as a wingback. 
    Impact subs? 3-5-2 won't always work and we will need a plan b. 2 quick and direct carriers of the ball is a good option on the bench or if we need to go all guns blazing
  • A front two of Leaburn and May should be pretty potent at this level. Especially with Aneke coming off the bench for the last 15-20 mins.
    With you until you mentioned Aneke. Got to see him being fit as a bonus. Can see Kanu being more involved and us bringing in another striker.

What’s clear is we need to replace Rak-Sakyi’s goals. May has scored around 20 at this level in the last two seasons, appears to want to come here and is available relatively cheaply. That frees up money to be spent elsewhere. Finding a wide player capable of 15+ is likely to be harder and more expensive.
  • edited June 2023
    If Aneke were to be fit enough to play in 35 games next season we would probably be in business.
    Is money to be spent on transfers, or intensive bionic medical intervention for Chucks?
    I’m not even sure what his physical problems are, does anybody know?
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    If Aneke were to be fit enough to play in 35 games next season we would probably be in business.
    Is money to be spent on transfers, or intensive bionic medical intervention for Chucks?
    I’m not even sure what his physical problems are, does anybody know?
    Highly ambitious for a guy who's appeared in 22 league games in 18 months. He started only 5 games and hasn't completed 90 minutes since January 2022.
  • edited June 2023
    Such a shame we probably won’t sign May today. Would have blown some fans minds to see us pay a fee, announce a signing before the window officially opens and without the takeover completed.
  • Bubble said:
    Not too fussed about us not getting him as he’s probably not even better than Clare (though if he had signed I would be calling him the Stevenage Cafu) 
  • The reactions from Cheltenham Twitter are comforting (for us), they appear absolutely devastated he’s off.
    remember at the last game of the season, he almost spent more time picking up his various awards than he did warming up!