Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Any rumours about Kirk, Mansfield and Lavelle out of interest?  I would imagine we’ll waive any fee for Kirk, even though he’s contracted until 2025?

I’d give McGrandles another chance.  As with Kirk last season, I think we have to at least let him have another go.

I’m not a fan of Payne, so would like to see at least one more attacking midfielder come in, plus a winger.  CBT will be a regular starter (if fit) imo, I just can’t see us getting enough quality in to have him as a squad player.  

I don’t know much about the types of players we’re linked with.  I think May could be decent, but I’ll caveat that with we must hold onto Leaburn.  If he’s Leaburn’s replacement then for me, that means finding two more forwards due to Aneke’s fitness.  

There’s an awful lot of work to do and I trust/get the feeling Holden is on top of it as best he can whilst we wait for the takeover, but we have to do better this summer.

2020 was difficult because TS had only just taken over, we didn’t have any time 

2021 was poor when you consider the money spent on Stockley, Kirk and then the late rush to bring in the likes of Lee and Leko

2022 was poor because TS had cut back and however much we wanted to believe the signings were okay, they weren’t good enough 

I feel this summer is really important.  
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Anthony Scully, anyone?

Apparently missed out on him to Wigan last summer, and then hardly played for them all season.

With their financial issues, he may be free to leave or for a small fee.

Scored double figures each time he’s played in League One. He’s a southerner too so that may help.

We need more goals across the team to replace what we have lost from Rak-Sakyi.

Think he’d be a good addition.
    I think he’d be a great signing. But it probably depends on what Holden is planning tactically. He’d be great if we keep the 4-3-3 but does Scully fit a 3-5-2? 
    It’s good to have flexibility and adaptability and with CBT and Campbell, it’ll be a waste constantly playing 3-5-2. I think we could see a mixture of the two systems this coming season.
    Completely agree but if we are going to mix it up between the 2, how many wingers will we seriously need? You'll want about 4 if you're playing 433 a lot, but 2 would probably be enough (plus someone like Payne who could play there) if you're not playing it week in week out. 
    I think either way you want at least 3.

Holden has said Payne isn’t a winger but can play there if needed.

Kirk and DJ are very likely moving on, so you need at least one more. That’s also accounting for all being fit at the same time.

I think signing Scully would be enough alongside CBT and Campbell.

You don’t want to block the development of players like Rylah trying to push on either - all the more reason why Kirk and DJ will be offski.
    Agree on the outgoings but 3 is still a bit overkill IMO with Payne and someone like Rylah adding further depth. Having said that, I’d prefer to sign someone like Scully and loan Campbell out. 
    Fair enough mate, IMO, that’s just the same as having what we had under Holden. Rak-Sakyi out, Scully in.

Campbell is developing well but will need time out of the team, Rylah is very young and will only be pushing to break in, Payne isn’t a winger, CBT hasn’t had a injury free season with us yet.
    Yeah it won’t be much different, I’m just thinking we would need to swap a winger for an extra CM and striker if 352 is going to be a lot more popular. Good to have the options either way. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Anthony Scully, anyone?

Apparently missed out on him to Wigan last summer, and then hardly played for them all season.

Scored double figures each time he’s played in League One. He’s a southerner too so that may help.

I think he’d be a great signing. But it probably depends on what Holden is planning tactically. He’d be great if we keep the 4-3-3 but does Scully fit a 3-5-2? 
    It’s good to have flexibility and adaptability and with CBT and Campbell, it’ll be a waste constantly playing 3-5-2. I think we could see a mixture of the two systems this coming season.
    Completely agree but if we are going to mix it up between the 2, how many wingers will we seriously need? You'll want about 4 if you're playing 433 a lot, but 2 would probably be enough (plus someone like Payne who could play there) if you're not playing it week in week out. 

Kirk and DJ are very likely moving on, so you need at least one more. That’s also accounting for all being fit at the same time.

You don’t want to block the development of players like Rylah trying to push on either - all the more reason why Kirk and DJ will be offski.
    Which slightly begs the question about what Payne actually is...
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Anthony Scully, anyone?

A number 10, perfect playing behind a striker in the pocket of space between the centre backs and centre midfielders of the opposing team, he draws players towards him giving the wingers and central striker more space to operate in.

In an ideal world anyway
  • cfgs said:
    4 minutes in and no signings! Pissed off.
    ESI 2.0. 
  • Does anyone know if we've had any potential signings doing any training with us prior to the window opening?

• Does anyone know if we've had any potential signings doing any training with us prior to the window opening?

We aren't training and the window doesn't stop you signing anyone so I am guessing no?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure about Scully, surely he’s past it no?

• edited June 2023
    The window is now OPEN...let the meltdown begin...
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Anthony Scully, anyone?

For us at this level a useful sub who gets a few goals and assists

Nobody is training, everyone is on a beach somewhere 
  • mendonca said:
    Plaaayer said:
    Sage said:
    Said for a while about the issue around stretching in football and it is a huge issues as a whole.

I know for an absolute fact, from someone in a position of expertise, that the players in general, and the club as a whole, have been told how a number  of our injuries can be prevented or risks reduced if they stretch and stretch correctly.

We know how many hamstring injuries we have had over the last 18-24 months, and although it is a common injury in football, it can be prevented if you actually strengthen and stretch them correctly. It does not happen across the board enough or well enough.

Does it happen at Charlton? Only the players and those at the club can truly answer that, and with honesty too.

Regarding Chuks, I hope he is feeling much better now and can get through a pre-season because if he can, he will be a huge asset, as we know his ability. If he breaks down and can't get through it, his career, at least at Charlton, will probably be in doubt.

I’ve noticed on a number of occasions that Chuks doesn’t seem to do any sort of proper warm up as a sub compared to everyone else.
    I've noticed that too and won't buy any drivel about him doing a number of static stretches in the changing room!
    So he doesnt injure himself warming up
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Didn’t really expect any ? players and agents are on holiday things don’t start moving till they return to training .. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Didn’t really expect any ? players and agents are on holiday things don’t start moving till they return to training .. 
    Players yes of course but surely an agent can go on holiday any time once the January window closes and then again on 1 September.

This time of year is exactly when i'd expect them to not be on holiday. 
    Exactly this. It's like getting a Christmas job in boots and then booking 2 weeks off.

if an agent is away, why can't he make a phone call to get the deal over the line. The sooner the deal is complete, the sooner mr agent gets paid
  • I have never known if a club other than us that find it so hard to get their target transfers done.
    The clubs looking for promotion will have the choice business done and dusted before the end of June. 
  • Expecting one in by end of the week ? Fingers crossed 
  • Sambcafc said:
    Expecting one in by end of the week ? Fingers crossed 

Is this based on something you know or just hoping?
    He never ‘knows’ anything…..it’s just a wind-up.🤥🤥🤥