Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2023/24 Betting Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    clb74 said:
    Thanks Bob and Bertie re IBAS

No one has my log in details to the account except myself and they are not written down anywhere. 

Before reopening my account Skybet told me I needed to confirm I had changed my email to dual authentication but wouldn't say why -  all I can assume is that my email was hacked?

But they won't tell me (I guess wouldn't even know) and even if someone got into my email I don't get how they would then access my account as they could likely find my username but not my password/code to then access.  I have checked junk/deleted etc folders for an email resetting my password which surely would have been generated and there is nothing.

Like I said all very weird as to get any money out of the account would involve sending it to a bank account in my name I assume,.and that doesn't seem an easy thing to do so no idea what the point of it all was except to piss me off. 😂.

I have complained to SkyBet officially and will follow up with IBAS if needed.

I take it your virtual greyhound bet was for quite a few hundred quid?
    I wonder how many people bet a few hundred quid on virtual greyhound racing.
    I'm surprised they let the virtual greyhound bet go, unless you usually do a few hundred quid on that.

You would be surprised!

Virtual greyhound racing is pretty much a random number generator - a bookie would not likely worry about a few hundred quid. It may have flagged after the event as an unusual bet (coupled with the cash out) hence the account was then suspended.
  • Options
    Starting to do football accas again - only a fiver and looking at total odds of around 20/1 to win £100ish

Let down by Birmingham at weekend and Wexham last night.

Do any of you follow any footy acca tipsters on twitter ?
  • Options
    I think the online tipsters are rubbish, we can all pick teams to win at odds of 4/11 and 2/7 but there is no profit to be made unless your betting big or doing a 20 fold acca. I also think its takes the fun out of having a punt.

Stick to your principals and go with instinct and good luck.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    I think the online tipsters are rubbish, we can all pick teams to win at odds of 4/11 and 2/7 but there is no profit to be made unless your betting big or doing a 20 fold acca. I also think its takes the fun out of having a punt.

Stick to your principals and go with instinct and good luck.
    yeah - and if they were that good, they probably wouldn't need to run a tipping service..
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Starting to do football accas again - only a fiver and looking at total odds of around 20/1 to win £100ish

Typically I will perm rather do a full acca simply for being let down by one or two selections. Typically, I will make 10 selections and do sevenfolds (120 bets) because that allows me to get three wrong and still show a profit on the bet and a bigger accumulator. I also tend to steer clear of massive odds on chances because they are the ones that do not enhance the bet to any great degree but have the same affect of ruining your chances of winning as and when they do fail to win. I think Arsenal were something like 1/5 last night and yes they did end up winning but it could have been the one to scupper a return. 

For the sort of stake that you are intending to use, I would probably try and find five selections at around about the Even money mark. If the five selections averaged that price then the Acca would come to about 31/1. If you were to use that perm of any four from five then if you could do, say, five 80p fourfolds and a £1 acca - if you get one wrong then, at the prices I've mentioned, you would get a return of about £12.80 for your £5. That might not sound a lot but it is a return and either funds another one and a half weeks or you could roll that return over to the following week for a "free" larger perm. Should all five prevail then you would receive a total return of about the £100 you are looking to get back.   

I'm not here to promote any particular company (even though I'm sure one of our esteemed posters will be pleased that I am) but Bet365 paying out if your selection goes two goals ahead, for most English competitions (bar the one Wrexham let you down on last night), has made a big difference at times. One such instance, ironically, was Wrexham last Tuesday as I had them to win at Harrogate - they went 2-0 up but ended up drawing 2-2. On the same night Stevenage went 2-0 up against Peterborough but ended up drawing. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen so often but if the odds are comparable, overall, then a result like that can make a massive difference to your return between Bet365 and another company that doesn't offer that. Equally, while I'm not a fan of cashing out at all but it's a much better situation, psychologically, if you have a selection already ticked as a winner because they had gone two goals ahead than finding that with 20 minutes to go they are only winning 2-1 and "clinging on".  

As for tipsters, for most mainstream games there really isn't anything hidden from plain sight i.e. there is enough information out there for traders at bookmakers to make an accurate estimate as to the chances of any particular team. That isn't, necessarily, the case lower down the pyramid or in the case of comps such as the EFL Trophy where an insider might know more about what sort of side a Manager is going to put out.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Typically I will perm rather do a full acca simply for being let down by one or two selections. Typically, I will make 10 selections and do sevenfolds (120 bets) because that allows me to get three wrong and still show a profit on the bet and a bigger accumulator. I also tend to steer clear of massive odds on chances because they are the ones that do not enhance the bet to any great degree but have the same affect of ruining your chances of winning as and when they do fail to win. I think Arsenal were something like 1/5 last night and yes they did end up winning but it could have been the one to scupper a return. 

For the sort of stake that you are intending to use, I would probably try and find five selections at around about the Even money mark. If the five selections averaged that price then the Acca would come to about 31/1. If you were to use that perm of any four from five then if you could do, say, five 80p fourfolds and a £1 acca - if you get one wrong then, at the prices I've mentioned, you would get a return of about £12.80 for your £5. That might not sound a lot but it is a return and either funds another one and a half weeks or you could roll that return over to the following week for a "free" larger perm. Should all five prevail then you would receive a total return of about the £100 you are looking to get back.   

I'm not here to promote any particular company (even though I'm sure one of our esteemed posters will be pleased that I am) but Bet365 paying out if your selection goes two goals ahead, for most English competitions (bar the one Wrexham let you down on last night), has made a big difference at times. One such instance, ironically, was Wrexham last Tuesday as I had them to win at Harrogate - they went 2-0 up but ended up drawing 2-2. On the same night Stevenage went 2-0 up against Peterborough but ended up drawing. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen so often but if the odds are comparable, overall, then a result like that can make a massive difference to your return between Bet365 and another company that doesn't offer that. Equally, while I'm not a fan of cashing out at all but it's a much better situation, psychologically, if you have a selection already ticked as a winner because they had gone two goals ahead than finding that with 20 minutes to go they are only winning 2-1 and "clinging on".  

As for tipsters, for most mainstream games there really isn't anything hidden from plain sight i.e. there is enough information out there for traders at bookmakers to make an accurate estimate as to the chances of any particular team. That isn't, necessarily, the case lower down the pyramid or in the case of comps such as the EFL Trophy where an insider might know more about what sort of side a Manager is going to put out.

Bottom paragraph sums it up perfectly of potentially having the edge over bookies in the lower league comps. Did this yesterday which didn’t come in because i really thought it was the mk dons managers first game in charge yesterday so thought he may get more out the players, as soon I realised he has actually been there since October I knew I had messed up. 

The rest we’re all comfortable winners except Lincoln who was called off just before kick off. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    By following Conference South, have had some good results over the years.
    One to mention was Welling (away at Gloucester).
    Gloucester's pitch is on quite a hill.
    Gloucester kicking downhill with a strong wind behind them, were pretty much camped in the Welling half, so stats were favourable for Gloucester,
    0-0 H/T.
    Me and the Cardinal saw a great value in Welling for a second half win, having everything in their favour.
    £50 each at 4/1 made for a great ending to an away day & win.

This year has been so topsy turvy, who would have had Welling to beat table toppers Yeovil 4-1.

It is apparent welling don't travel well to the South West. Losing heavily at Plymouth (Truro), Torquay & more recently Weston SM.
    They are away at Bath on the 23rd.

• Options
    Skybet do 2up as well now.
  • Options
    I have £35 on Aston or draw tonight, 11/10 I thought was very good considering city now without Grealish, Rodri and Doku after Sunday.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They do but they are a bit cheeky they cut the odds on the 2 up slip as opposed to the normal one 
  • Options
    I have £35 on Aston or draw tonight, 11/10 I thought was very good considering city now without Grealish, Rodri and Doku after Sunday.  
    Nice 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    They do but they are a bit cheeky they cut the odds on the 2 up slip as opposed to the normal one 

365 effectively do this too - you can bet with enhanced odds where the 2 ahead benefit drops off. For example, Everton v Newcastle on Saturday is (H/D/A) 3.00/3.40/2.37 but enhanced prices are 3.12/3.46/2.39
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Nicholas said:
    IdleHans said:
    Nicholas said:

365 effectively do this too - you can bet with enhanced odds where the 2 ahead benefit drops off. For example, Everton v Newcastle on Saturday is (H/D/A) 3.00/3.40/2.37 but enhanced prices are 3.12/3.46/2.39
    So is this not a good thing for us punters?
    We have more choice.
    Imo the last few years have got better for the punter, well they have for me.
    I've broken even at least over the past few years and that is because of some of the offers the bookies have been offering.

• Options
    I like the 2-0 thing, it's served me well. Definitely happy to have the choice.
  • Options
    I bet on bet365 exclusively because of the 2UP offer
  • Options
    That and the Acca bonus for me, also the odds are pretty much on par with most. I do have other accounts but stick to bobs lot mostly. 
  • Options
    That and the Acca bonus for me, also the odds are pretty much on par with most. I do have other accounts but stick to bobs lot mostly. 
    Blinding value.

And from 23 December, for the first time, I will be able to take advantage :)
  • Options
    I do Ladbrokes 5 a side for most games with a big top prize. Won £75 if free bets on Weds thanks to a Ben Mee bicycle kick in the last second! Now the stress of what to put them on!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Great offer but I only use it if I have long shots in the bet.  You can sometimes get better odds on William hill or Ladbrokes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paddy Power have the same 2up payout as well btw.

Betfair 90minute payout is great too.
    Helps take the stress out of any overtime goals that might go against you. 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    The worst L1 of many a year and with a little over half way played we are 15/8 to finish top half with SkyBet

So, is there value in that bet...?
  • Options
    The worst L1 of many a year and with a little over half way played we are 15/8 to finish top half with SkyBet

If my bookie offered that I would take it, despite the ongoing shitshow. 
  • Options

The issue is that there is no evidence whatsoever that we are about to turn the corner. I've said this on another thread but the facts are:

(1) But for Reading's deduction we would be three points off the relegation zone right now

(2) We haven't won in any competition for 11 matches and picked up just 3 points from 18 against the likes of Burton (twice), Cambridge, Orient, Bristol Rovers and Port Vale in that run 

(3) 8 of our next 9 matches are against sides in the top half of the table

(4) We have half a dozen plus new recruits so a lot of the current team don't know each other and ordinarily would get to do so during pre-season. To do so in a competitive environment is nowhere near as easy

(5) Apart from May, the starting XI for yesterday's have scored two league goals for us this season - Dobson on the first day of the season and Jones against Orient. Even Ladapo has only two league goals and hasn't found the net in his last 15 matches

The division is a poor one. The trouble is that we are very poor too. Nothing is certain on or off the pitch for that matter. If a lot of us are having doubts about the current man in charge then, even if not at this very moment, the players are then they will too before too long. 

A convincing win on Tuesday might change all of the above in which case we might shorten to say 6/4. I would rather take that with such evidence to hand than take a punt at 15/8 on wishful thinking based on the fact that the rest of the teams in the division are rubbish. 

• Options
    Out to 3/1 for top half now. Time to pile in or should I wait till we lose the next game and get better odds... 🤣
  • Options
    Usually the response from a manager sacking is positive.  Blackpool from what I’ve seen are nothing special, we are a very long price.

He who dares..

• Options
    edited February 17
    Just stuck £20 on Port Vale to win at Cheltenham today in Darren Moore's first game in charge. 

Original price was 11/4, but using a power up on Paddy Power boosted this to 6/1. Power ups usually make a negligible difference, turning 10/11 into Evens and so on, so was a bit surprised to see the odds lengthened so drastically. Maximum stake is £20.

Edit: obviously, the end result is that I'll be £20 poorer by 5pm, but at odds of 6/1, I can dream big for 20 minutes before Cheltenham's opening goal.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Just stuck £20 on Port Vale to win at Cheltenham today in Darren Moore's first game in charge. 

Original price was 11/4, but using a power up on Paddy Power boosted this to 6/1. Power ups usually make a negligible difference, turning 10/11 into Evens and so on, so was a bit surprised to see the odds lengthened so drastically. Maximum stake is £20.

Edit: obviously, the end result is that I'll be £20 poorer by 5pm, but at odds of 6/1, I can dream big for 20 minutes before Cheltenham's opening goal.
    11/4 to 3/1 if I power up
  • Options
    clb74 said: 
    MrLargo said:

11/4 to 3/1 if I power up
    That's what I was expecting. No idea why it gave me 6/1. Academic anyway, although they lead twice.