Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Casey signs a 3-year pro contract

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Tempting though it may be, playing still 17 year old Casey in the aspirational first team at this point would be a substantial risk.
    No point at all. He's learning his trade and doing well at that level.

Leave him where he is thriving. He'll eventually be a better player for it. 

• Options
    Assume Tedic will start the next few games and then we will be able to see whether he is any good once he is match fit, if not get rid of in January 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Assume Tedic will start the next few games and then we will be able to see whether he is any good once he is match fit, if not get rid of in January 
    Yep. My thoughts too.

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Precisely. He's not covered himself in glory but that wouldn't be easy given that he's only been used sporadically and in several different positions. Give him a  chance to prove himself and he might settle into a groove.

If he doesn't, well that's an extra job for January.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    "Pat" got a name check in MA's post match interview as did Mbick although he added he didn't want to rely on the kids.

He praised "Teddy".
    I agree - Tedic made a difference with his physicality.  Casey would have been gobbled up by Davies at this stage of his career but Tedic stood up to him a bit more
    I thought Tedic did well when he come on last night, looked a handful! Could have scored at least one.
    But didn't because he skied it from 4 yards out!
    His effort was there but he has looked ineffectual every time I have seen him.

Yes, doesn't mean he had a bad game does it!
    Fair enough. We will agree to disagree. He skied one, was offside ruining a break for another, fell flat on his face with no one around when the ball was played to him on another break. 
    As I said, he tried and so I am not criticising as he can only do his best.  He has some physicality and tried to win headers with limited success.  For a striker I just don't see him scoring or influencing games anywhere near enough to make him worthwhile. I hope he proves me wrong.
    I hope he does too. It seems obvious that Tedic is not a natural finisher but he's still a handful for defenders. 

He gets in good positions, distracts defenders and creates space for team mates - but of course, being a forward is seemingly only judged on here by goals scored. 

To hit form, every footballer needs to play and have a run of games - but Tedic hasn't really had that, has he? 

No. That is not fair given you are quoting me. 
    I specifically wrote that I don't think he influences games enough (as well as not scoring) .... 
    I cannot recall a single chance being created through any of his industry last night. He felt more of a hindrance at times.
    He struggled to even impact our away game v CVPM as another example.
  • Options
    Love the quiet confidence he has in himself
  • Options
    Good man yerself Patrick 💚👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    edited February 22
    shirty5 said:
    "Casey is under contract with Charlton until June 2023 after penning his first professional terms at the club last year."

Very confused. He signed a three-year contract in June 2023. I think this story has possibly been reappropriated from years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    shirty5 said:
    "Casey is under contract with Charlton until June 2023 after penning his first professional terms at the club last year."

Very confused. He signed a three-year contract in June 2023. I think this story has possibly been reappropriated from years ago.
    Will take them a second to realise they have made a mistake and will change the year to 2026
  • Options
    Hmm... It just seems very unusual. If he was still a youth player and they could swipe him from under our noses I'd get it. But he's under a professional contract for another two years at least, hasn't broken into the first team yet... Are they going to make an offer we'd accept?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Hmm... It just seems very unusual. If he was still a youth player and they could swipe him from under our noses I'd get it. But he's under a professional contract for another two years at least, hasn't broken into the first team yet... Are they going to make an offer we'd accept?
    10 million , plus sell ons, and i might consider it...
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    There's just no substance in that. That's not to say it's wrong, but I find it hard to imagine just based on his youth team record in a second tier academy that Brighton and Celtic are interested before he's really broken into the first team. 
  • Options
    Brighton watching young Irish strikers isn't really a surprise. Hopefully we get to see a bit more of him around the first team before anything like this reaches fruition 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    There's just no substance in that. That's not to say it's wrong, but I find it hard to imagine just based on his youth team record in a second tier academy that Brighton and Celtic are interested before he's really broken into the first team. 
    I found it hard to imagine that Dobbo would consider moving to Hungary (or indeed that a Hungarian team with aspirations of at least the odd European comp. game in August would seek an English 3rd division player). But here we are...
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Brighton took James Beadle who is now on loan to Sheff Wednesday I think. Perhaps they are coming back to see what else is in the treasure chest. 
  • Options
    Hoped I would open this and find we had loaned him out.
  • Options
    Young strikers who score goals will always attract attention, so the important thing is that he's under contract. 

It's much easier for a goal scorer to stand out to other clubs than for a solid RB or midfield water carrier to do the same, as everyone can see the scoring stats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It must be a typo in the article because it says he “penned a contract until June 2023 last summer” when last summer was June 2023.
  • Options
    edited February 22
    3 years ago, it was posted that Kanu had gone to Arsenal. Thankfully it didn't come to fruition and Daniel had time to go through the age groups and continue scoring and probably a tad earlier than expected because of injuries found himself in the 18 on match day.
    The scoring slowed down and DK was very raw but he has progressed as an all round forward with a great engine and attitude and as I expected as his confidence rises score goals at this level. Only 4 at Cafc and 4 at Southend but more to come...

Patrick Casey appears to be a Penalty area player and has a great knack for scoring, I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is athletic and his work rate but goal scoring is the ultimate that makes or breaks a team.

Now he is 18, Celtic or Brighton etc would definitely take a punt as we found with Mason Burstow who had only played a dozen games before the offer came in from Chelsea.
    They may even take a chance on potential before he steps up to the 18 man squad.
  • Options
    edited February 22
    SDAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Brighton took James Beadle who is now on loan to Sheff Wednesday I think. Perhaps they are coming back to see what else is in the treasure chest. 
    True, but Beadle was getting England youth Caps from a very young age and was considered an exceptional talent from such a young age. Beadle also hadn't signed a professional contract.

I don't doubt that Brighton, like many teams, keep an eye on the youth sides. What I do doubt is the interest in this particular player at this particular time. 
  • Options
    Not a popular opinion but it will be important to juggle future success with immediate. If selling a youth player for a decent wedge is reinvested CORRECTLY then I’d have no issue. Not sure I have confidence that the money would be reinvested correctly though 
  • Options
    edited February 22
    Not a popular opinion but it will be important to juggle future success with immediate. If selling a youth player for a decent wedge is reinvested CORRECTLY then I’d have no issue. Not sure I have confidence that the money would be reinvested correctly though 
    Agreed, getting a couple of million with a sell on would make losing him hurt a lot less. At the moment he’s exciting but the potential has yet to be properly realised.

Whether they want to pay that much for a player that I personally think won’t be ready to compete at League One level, let alone higher, before the next 18-24 months is another question.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    A lot of nonsense in there to pad out the article really.

"Brighton, Celtic and Belgian duo Royale Union Saint-Gilloise and Club Brugge have scouted Casey regularly." Brighton owner Tony Bloom is also a shareholder at USG, so them and Brighton are effectively the same.

"The teenager is also in huge demand on the international stage with the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and England all keen for him to pledge his international allegiances to them" - does anyone seriously think England are that fussed about a kid in league one who's made 1 senior club appearance?

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    True, but Beadle was getting England youth Caps from a very young age and was considered an exceptional talent from such a young age. Beadle also hadn't signed a professional contract.

I don't doubt that Brighton, like many teams, keep an eye on the youth sides. What I do doubt is the interest in this particular player at this particular time. 
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Any kid who scores 70+ goals in less than 2 seasons at a decent youth level is going to attract attention. 
  • Options
    Is he better than Mbick, who seems to be the next striker in waiting ?