Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Options
    ME14addick said:
    Such a shame that some people show more anger at throwing a bit of orange confetti, than a decision to open new oil fields that will take so long to come onstream, that will not provide energy security,  but line the pockets of the oil barons. 
    What are you doing to combat climate change then?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    ME14addick said:
    Such a shame that some people show more anger at throwing a bit of orange confetti, than a decision to open new oil fields that will take so long to come onstream, that will not provide energy security,  but line the pockets of the oil barons. 
    Never leaves the house so im sure rarely uses gas or electricity! 
  • Options

• Options
    If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

If George Osborne had promoted green energy sources instead of more oil and gas, we would be in a much better position now. The article linked to that tweet shows just how short sighted that decision has proved to be.
    Nope it’s highlighted that they’re scumbags, yet again. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    ME14addick said:
    Never leaves the house so im sure rarely uses gas or electricity! 
    Pathetic childish comment
    Well you’ve made a comment or two about not wanting to leave the house. So I’d argue you probably use more energy than the average person living a normal life no? 
  • Options
    Many Tory MPs are funded by right wing think tanks with links to the oil industry. They need to keep them sweet to keep the money flowing in. 

• Options
    Many Tory MPs are funded by right wing think tanks with links to the oil industry. They need to keep them sweet to keep the money flowing in. 

It's alright blaming others but what are we doing ourselves to combat climate change?
    Do you own more than 1 pair of shoes?,  if yes why?
    You only need one pair , wear them out and then buy another pair.

• Options

Who are the many Tory MPs and what are the think tanks with the links? What evidence can you produce that there is a link between the UKs approach to North Sea oil and the personal gain of unnamed Tory MPs?

in reality I don’t expect you to answer the questions for many reasons.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    clb74 said:

It's alright blaming others but what are we doing ourselves to combat climate change?

Owning more than one pair of shoes is hardly on the same scale as opening up new oilfields, that will take so long to come onstream, won't provide energy security, but add to greenhouse gas emissions. Far better to concentrate on renewables which are far cheaper.

Do you think it a good idea to open new oilfields in a Climate emergency, because this is what the protests are about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

If George Osborne had promoted green energy sources instead of more oil and gas, we would be in a much better position now. The article linked to that tweet shows just how short sighted that decision has proved to be.
    It's was their wedding day. They did not have to go through that, it doesn't matter what colour confetti was used.

how would you have felt if that happened to you on your wedding day?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    clb74 said:

@me14ad@ME14addick  How much money are we discussing that means an individual consciously votes to ignore scientific and unchallengeable evidence that only JSO seem able to comprehend?

My point is that whilst climate change is an undeniable issue the solutions are not simple and clear cut. 

I doubt, as seems suggested, corruption is at the heart of this. Rather difficult choices need to be balanced. 
  • Options
    What would be the benefit to any think tank in "funding" an MP then?
  • Options
    I can't understand why those against the protests are not bothered the fact that their energy bills are higher, because the producers of cheaper renewable energy are paid to match the cost of producing energy by fossil fuels. The sooner we move to cheaper green energy the better.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    So that they continue to allow them to open up new oilfields.

Try Googling 55 Tufton Street.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Do think tanks run oil fields then?

Genuine question 
  • Options

Who are the many Tory MPs and what are the think tanks with the links? What evidence can you produce that there is a link between the UKs approach to North Sea oil and the personal gain of unnamed Tory MPs?

in reality I don’t expect you to answer the questions for many reasons. 

I'll post links tomorrow, I'm on my phone so need to be on my PC. 

• Options
    I can't understand why those against the protests are not bothered the fact that their energy bills are higher, because the producers of cheaper renewable energy are paid to match the cost of producing energy by fossil fuels. The sooner we move to cheaper green energy the better.
    That’s the complexity of the energy market. Not a ploy simply to dissuade renewables per se surely. 

The price / investment policies I assume now need change / updating to align to current circumstances. 

I repeat it’s complex. 
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This makes my brain hurt. 

So are you saying the renewable energy companies are ripping us off by charging more than they need to?

who are these solar barons ?
    I want to write to my MP 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Do think tanks run oil fields then?

Genuine question  

Read the link I've posted 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    This makes my brain hurt. 

So are you saying the renewable energy companies are ripping us off by charging more than they need to?

who are these solar barons ?
    I want to write to my MP 
    I did post about this a few pages ago. 
  • Options
    Obviously the main discussion point is the OP’s use of protestors rather than protesters 
  • Options
    It is estimated that there are 7 years worth of available oil and gas reserves available without further exploration. If the investment was put into renewables, especially onshore wind which is relatively cheap, but resisted in the planning process, then the issue of continued energy security wouldn't pose a problem.

The Labour party are convinced by that arguement and don't see the need to keep pumping money into oil, gas, and coal having vowed no fresh investment in them, consistent with what JSO are campaigning for.

• Options
    In 100 years from now people will be looking back at this point in time and cursing those that prefer to demonise and disregard the message that climate protestors are trying to get across. By then it will all be immaterial and we’ll all be fucked by hey ho, how dare they hold up the tennis. 
    "But if only they protested 'in the right way*'."

*Meaning not at all. 
  • Options
    Who are these oil barons?

• Options
    edited July 2023
    swordfish said:
    It is estimated that there are 7 years worth of available oil and gas reserves available without further exploration. If the investment was put into renewables, especially onshore wind which is relatively cheap, but resisted in the planning process, then the issue of continued energy security wouldn't pose a problem.

The Labour party are convinced by that arguement and don't see the need to keep pumping money into oil, gas, and coal having vowed no fresh investment in them, consistent with what JSO are campaigning for.

And if after 7 years the technology still doesn't exist to store renewable energy and all the oil and gas reserves are used up, what then?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!